Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
coolest dudes tho is the two blue wizards who wandered off the job and went native, given the wizardly proclivity for weed i have to assume they ended up in some magical opium den somewhere, twin heads of a criminal organization and surrounded by an asiatic harem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The hobbit villages were gandalfs go to harem/opium den

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
saruman takes over the shire in the great weed wars

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Nation posted:

saruman takes over the shire in the great weed wars

warning: this post is canon.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
the easterlings know they only as... The Double Dragons

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Dongattack posted:

Ugh. It annoys me every time someone brings this up, i.e. "Why didn't an eagle just fly the Ring into Mount Doom?"

The reason the Ringbearer did not fly to Mordor by Eagle is fairly simple: the purpose of the Fellowship of the Ring and the linchpin of the entire strategy decided on in Rivendell was to destroy the Ring in a mission of secrecy.

Taking the Eagles might have worked, I will grant that. It may have been a successful mission and allowed the Ring to be destroyed earlier than it "actually" was. However, it would have sacrificed secrecy and drastically increased the changes of the Ring being captured. When you have the fate of the world hanging in the balance, you don’t want to take any unnecessary chances.

Eagles are, clearly, far more noticeable than Hobbits or other travelers on foot. We don’t know how exactly Gandalf planned to get into Mordor, but we can surmise that they would have gone through a mountain pass or valley some where. We know of only three (the Morannon, Cirith Ungol, and the Nameless Pass), but it stands to reason that there were more. Not ideal ones, perhaps (though Cirith Ungol itself was not ideal), but mountains are not impenetrable and continuous walls of rock.

An Eagle flying through the air would be easily noticed by Orcs or other watchers (remember the sinister and sorcerous ones at the Tower of Cirith Ungol – there might have been more). Travelers on foot could sneak around much more easily, scout ahead (especially with a ranger), and slip by unnoticed (remember how quiet hobbits are?). The Eagles might have been able to slip by unnoticed, but it would have become far more likely that they would have been caught. Once inside Mordor (if they even make it), there is still the chance that the Eagles could be caught. There are the threats of the Nazgul’s fell beasts, and archers (the Eagles in The Hobbit were afraid of shepherds with bows, so one can imagine how they might react to trained soldiers).

The "classic" Eagle plan, (i.e. simply flying to Mount Doom and dropping the Ring into it), would not work for a couple of reasons. First, the Ring could not just be dropped into the caldera; it had to be taken into the Crack of Doom itself: the center of Sauron’s sorcererous powers. The Crack of Doom was at the end of a tunnel that bored into the mountainside, and an Eagle would likely not fit inside, so it would have to bring have a rider. This would limit the height to which it could fly (the rider would need to breathe) and its agility during a fight. Yet more possibilities for failure. Second, a giant Eagle landing on the slope of Mount Doom would be quickly evident to any troops stationed there. A small group of people on foot might be able to sneak up unnoticed. Again, the Eagle plan might work, but it increases the chances of being caught.

In conclusion, the Council of Elrond did not know exactly what to expect in Mordor, so they had to plan for the worst (i.e., assume the worst case scenario for each possible solution). The Fellowship plan was itself a very long shot and indeed, it failed in its original conception, though obviously a fragment of the Fellowship persisted. The Eagle plan raises such a host of potential issues and problems that I think it is quite understandable why the Council opted to send people on foot. As I mentioned at the beginning, their concern was stealth, not speed.

I enjoy that some guy decided to write all of that out on his website and still miss the entire point of the books. It doesn't matter how the fellowship got to Mount Doom, none of them would have willingly destroyed the ring anyway.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

FallenGod posted:

I enjoy that some guy decided to write all of that out on his website and still miss the entire point of the books. It doesn't matter how the fellowship got to Mount Doom, none of them would have willingly destroyed the ring anyway.

Gandalf knew

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FallenGod posted:

wow, boromir would have

#boromir

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Gandalf should have made really cool armor for himself and went into powerful dudebro form himself, since apparently thats a thing they can do

Naaaah, they forced all the wizards into oldman bodies, so they could be humble and stuff and know the pains of being mortal and ugly. Glowing really bright seems to be the best they can manage.

Also Gandalf was scared shitless of Sauron and tried to beg his bosses not to send him.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

FallenGod posted:

Well Frodo didn't either, so it really is a wash.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

DeepQantas posted:

Well Frodo didn't either, so it really is a wash.

Yes, I was including the hobbits in the fellowship. Whole thing was doomed from the start.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

It was greed that saved the seven kingdoms in the end. Greed and slippery feet.

Legolas would've been the worst choice. Should've given the ring to Gimli.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yes nobody would've dropped the ring in.

*Frodo drops the ring in*

Yep

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It was gravity that destroyed the ring, ultimately

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

He dropped his ring finger, not the ring.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

Yes nobody would've dropped the ring in.

Yep

no it was the gypsy who had stolen the ring and then accidentally fell in to the volcano

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
what if they sent a normal sized eagle?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DeepQantas posted:

He dropped his ring finger, not the ring.

Gandalf should've given clearer instructions

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

no it was the gypsy who had stolen the ring and then accidentally fell in to the volcano

Was literally shoved into the volcano by God himself you mean.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hypothetically would some kind of manned drone been a good ring delivery system? Or would the effects of the ring be felt by the operator of said drone?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
why didn they just fly on the eagles and drop it in the volcano seems p simple

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
honestly the seven kingdoms might have been better off with sauron in control

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
What constitutes "wearing" the ring? Like if I shoved it up my rear end would I still turn invisible or no?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nefarious posted:

What constitutes "wearing" the ring? Like if I shoved it up my rear end would I still turn invisible or no?

I think you have to put something in the hole. So if you put your dick through it and wear it, it'd work. But if you put it up your rear end, then no, because it's like a ring within a ring.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gatts posted:

I think you have to put something in the hole. So if you put your dick through it and wear it, it'd work. But if you put it up your rear end, then no, because it's like a ring within a ring.

On the downside it would make your penis try to take over Middle Earth

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

On the downside it would make your penis try to take over Middle Earth

your penis would become even more invisible

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why don't the godbeings who sent Gandalf on his mission just get to work themselves and smoke Sauron with their godpowers

were they just lazy?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Why don't the godbeings who sent Gandalf on his mission just get to work themselves and smoke Sauron with their godpowers

were they just lazy?

Last time they did that they inadvertently destroyed a whole continent

naem
May 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

were they just lazy?

They fought melkor the evil God and all had to leave the material plane after defeating him because, reasons

Nefarious posted:

Evangeline Lily is really just an off brand Kate Beckinsale.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Evangeline Lily has a cool name and I want her to sit on my weiner

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nefarious posted:

no but your dad would

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Nefarious posted:

Evangeline Lily is really just an off brand Kate Beckinsale.

Truer words never spoken.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

nomadologique posted:

although definitely the best sauron form is the seducer of numenor, i imagine him as a tall and perfectly formed black man a la nyarlathothep

There was a plan at the end to have Sauron show up at the black gate as a handsome angel, I thought that would have been neat, since everyone is expecting a terrible monster.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Harald posted:

no but your dad would

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
has anyone made a serious post in this cool thread yet cause I want to laugh at it.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

unpacked robinhood posted:

your penis would become even more invisible

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
There's a perfectly good explanation for why the Eagles weren't involved. Jeffrey just has better things to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HOlkacZwjs

naem
May 29, 2011

Dean of Swing posted:

has anyone made a serious post in this cool thread yet cause I want to laugh at it.

the one where I said I had sex with girls (it's true)

etatoby
Feb 12, 2003

China makes me cry

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

They're the salt of the earth good country folk who just want a stroll down to the pub for a pint without being bothered by a mob of orcs jabbering in their savage mussulman tongue while the elves are cultured but decadent and homosexual continentals. Only one group has the moral fortitude to wield the one ring of fascism justly
^^^ best reading ever

so is the book any better than the movies?

I tried to read it once but fell asleep right after tom bombadil and couldn't go on… that book is boooooooooring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etatoby posted:

^^^ best reading ever

so is the book any better than the movies?

I tried to read it once but fell asleep right after tom bombadil and couldn't go on… that book is boooooooooring

The book is better than movie since it has more gratuitous sex scenes

• Locked thread