Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

toggle posted:

There are no pretty hobbit women? They all look like wombats

At least he deserves hand breezy from attractive elf women, after he basically saved the whole world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
I can't believe he went through with that marriage when Frodo had been giving him those looks of longing for the entire 3-year runtime of the films.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

toggle posted:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/15fowqT.jpg:nws:

just google: nude midget jemma

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

toggle posted:

Better than dwarves.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Moridin920 posted:

I know all of these names

as starcraft units

Gonna go back a couple pages and say gently caress yes, because the Helms Deep Defense map on SC kind of defined me at 11 years old. I had never read any LOTR or watched the movies, and just thought the map was fun as hell.

Course... then I played all the other LOTR themed maps. And they sucked. Much like LOTR.

Zzulu posted:

The correct strategy against the 10 story war elephants (with no invincible ghost army available) would have been to, uhhh, to uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Javelins. Flaming ones, preferably.

would

naem
May 29, 2011

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Thump! posted:

Javelins. Flaming ones, preferably.

Yeah but they had no flaming javelins because they somehow missed the army of mega-elephants on the battlefield and got totally surprised by them

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Elephants? Oh you mean the mûmakil? :colbert:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Germstore posted:

Elephants? Oh you mean the mûmakil? :colbert:

mumakil yourself nerd

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why was Melkor such a huge fag?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He was a rebel, a loose cannon

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i'm sorry OP i'm just not sure if I "get" this thread ie "udnerstand it"

naem
May 29, 2011

Again, being a skinny blonde guy with cheekbones, girls in the early 2000's would ignore my complete lack of a personality as long as I stared wistfully off into the distance a lot thanks Legos bloom

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

naem posted:

Again, being a skinny blonde guy with cheekbones, girls in the early 2000's would ignore my complete lack of a personality as long as I stared wistfully off into the distance a lot thanks Legos bloom

Duh. That's how it works. Be all hot and they will come...and cum.

naem
May 29, 2011

Gatts posted:

Duh. That's how it works. Be all hot and they will come...and cum.

Yeah! SEVERAL of them!

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

The Eagles were America

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Bacontotem posted:

The Eagles were America

you mean they secretly funnelled money in to mordor and helped train the orcs :smug:

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
Evangeline Lily is really just an off brand Kate Beckinsale.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Volcott posted:

Why was Melkor such a huge fag?

he wasnt the fag

the rest of the volar were

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
through melkor's selfless act of personal sacrafice, knowing he would be demonized for the rest of eternity by the other valar, he created the neccessary social conflict for iluvatar's children to culturally advance and not stagnate, cementing his position as the greatest of all ainur

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Concerned Citizen posted:

why didn't the eagles just take the hobbits to mordor

Ugh. It annoys me every time someone brings this up, i.e. "Why didn't an eagle just fly the Ring into Mount Doom?"

The reason the Ringbearer did not fly to Mordor by Eagle is fairly simple: the purpose of the Fellowship of the Ring and the linchpin of the entire strategy decided on in Rivendell was to destroy the Ring in a mission of secrecy.

Taking the Eagles might have worked, I will grant that. It may have been a successful mission and allowed the Ring to be destroyed earlier than it "actually" was. However, it would have sacrificed secrecy and drastically increased the changes of the Ring being captured. When you have the fate of the world hanging in the balance, you don’t want to take any unnecessary chances.

Eagles are, clearly, far more noticeable than Hobbits or other travelers on foot. We don’t know how exactly Gandalf planned to get into Mordor, but we can surmise that they would have gone through a mountain pass or valley some where. We know of only three (the Morannon, Cirith Ungol, and the Nameless Pass), but it stands to reason that there were more. Not ideal ones, perhaps (though Cirith Ungol itself was not ideal), but mountains are not impenetrable and continuous walls of rock.

An Eagle flying through the air would be easily noticed by Orcs or other watchers (remember the sinister and sorcerous ones at the Tower of Cirith Ungol – there might have been more). Travelers on foot could sneak around much more easily, scout ahead (especially with a ranger), and slip by unnoticed (remember how quiet hobbits are?). The Eagles might have been able to slip by unnoticed, but it would have become far more likely that they would have been caught. Once inside Mordor (if they even make it), there is still the chance that the Eagles could be caught. There are the threats of the Nazgul’s fell beasts, and archers (the Eagles in The Hobbit were afraid of shepherds with bows, so one can imagine how they might react to trained soldiers).

The "classic" Eagle plan, (i.e. simply flying to Mount Doom and dropping the Ring into it), would not work for a couple of reasons. First, the Ring could not just be dropped into the caldera; it had to be taken into the Crack of Doom itself: the center of Sauron’s sorcererous powers. The Crack of Doom was at the end of a tunnel that bored into the mountainside, and an Eagle would likely not fit inside, so it would have to bring have a rider. This would limit the height to which it could fly (the rider would need to breathe) and its agility during a fight. Yet more possibilities for failure. Second, a giant Eagle landing on the slope of Mount Doom would be quickly evident to any troops stationed there. A small group of people on foot might be able to sneak up unnoticed. Again, the Eagle plan might work, but it increases the chances of being caught.

In conclusion, the Council of Elrond did not know exactly what to expect in Mordor, so they had to plan for the worst (i.e., assume the worst case scenario for each possible solution). The Fellowship plan was itself a very long shot and indeed, it failed in its original conception, though obviously a fragment of the Fellowship persisted. The Eagle plan raises such a host of potential issues and problems that I think it is quite understandable why the Council opted to send people on foot. As I mentioned at the beginning, their concern was stealth, not speed.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012
Eagles would loving eat you as soon as let you ride on them, Gandalf could only do it because he was friends with the Beastmaster of Rhosgobel.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Simstim posted:

through melkor's selfless act of personal sacrafice, knowing he would be demonized for the rest of eternity by the other valar, he created the neccessary social conflict for iluvatar's children to culturally advance and not stagnate, cementing his position as the greatest of all ainur

Truth. Melkor did nothing wrong, and in fact, is the hero we deserve.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Simstim posted:

jesus christ

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dongattack posted:

The Crack of Doom

Heh

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994
Why is sauran so stupid that he's a giant eye instead of a all powerful dude bro who can just kill all of the fellowship?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah the eagles plan is a bit too risky

A much better plan is to give the ring to two random midgets who have never even ventured outside their tiny village before and then send them straight into the stronghold of the enemy and kind of just hope they end up inside that volcano somehow

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

4outof5 posted:

Why is sauran so stupid that he's a giant eye instead of a all powerful dude bro who can just kill all of the fellowship?

the last time he assumed powerful dudebro form this happened;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhjDnrw34QA

also, i love this intro

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

4outof5 posted:

hes already got straight up wrecked in powerful dude bro form and can't muster the strength to corporealize so it's aeye or bust

have you ever played a video game boss battle before? it's exactly like that

in the 23nd age he actually manifests as a werewolf that's pretty cool

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
that intro always makes me want to watch the trilogy again

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Yeah the eagles plan is a bit too risky

A much better plan is to give the ring to two random midgets who have never even ventured outside their tiny village before and then send them straight into the stronghold of the enemy and kind of just hope they end up inside that volcano somehow

gandalf proved definitively in the hobbit that hobbits will do whatever wstory poo poo is required of them with gumption

they mnight bitch about it and yeah the americans have more flair but when it comes to killing jerries you just can't do better than a hobbit in the trenches

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

although definitely the best sauron form is the seducer of numenor, i imagine him as a tall and perfectly formed black man a la nyarlathothep

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

although definitely the best sauron form is the seducer of numenor, i imagine him as a tall and perfectly formed black man a la nyarlathothep

Naw, dog. Annatar is the best form of Sauron. He's like a middle earth Santa Claus - always giving gifts.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

redshirt posted:

Naw, dog. Annatar is the best form of Sauron. He's like a middle earth Santa Claus - always giving gifts.

evil goddamn gifts that twist your soulo and make you a dark shadow of your former self

maybe that is how santa gets his elves?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nomadologique posted:

evil goddamn gifts that twist your soulo and make you a dark shadow of your former self

maybe that is how santa gets his elves?

Makes u think

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gandalf should have made really cool armor for himself and went into powerful dudebro form himself, since apparently thats a thing they can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

my only true regret is not seeing more dudebro gandalf :(

for a demigod with infinite respawns he was quite a limp dick

• Locked thread