Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Giving this a shot, in as DaveskiSA. I was really into Pocket Knights last year, and everything about this game seems like a better version of that. I'll apply to the guild when I'm 32 or whatever level it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Still having fun with this, bought a bunch of gems because I had a ton of app store credit burning a hole in my pocket. My only complaint is that you can run out of stuff to do fairly quickly, at least when compared with Pocket Knights. Maybe that will change as I level up and continue to unlock things, though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I'm finding the Cleric (mine is 2-star, Blue+2) to be a great tank for Crusades, yesterday he lasted me through all 15 waves, and today to like 12 when some BS stun thing got him.

I just unlocked War Chief too, but he hasn't impressed me yet. Better damage output but he seems to die really fast. Maybe I just need to pump up his life steal skill a lot more?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I use Lightning Master in crusades as one of the heroes I charge up and save for a tough wave. His high energy regen means he can usually get two ultimates off in one round. He's definitely not great, but mine is two stars and purple and he's okay as filler DPS for caves and the magic-only trial and such.

I'm only two shards away from a 3-star Shadowleaf, and I'm spending all my crusade points right now on upgrading Commando (about a quarter of the way to 4-star). I'm running Shadowleaf/Commando/Succubus/Phoenix/War Chief for PvP right now and having a lot of success. The only hero that regularly gives me trouble is Death Mage, who seems ridiculously strong.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

vulturesrow posted:

Need some advice on my lowbie arena team. Shadow Leaf, Commando, and Pro Killer are all in. Remaining are the 4 other starters plus Emberblade and Cleric. Everyone is either Blue or Blue+1. Any recommendations on filling it out?

For lower-level teams, I think Admiral is actually a pretty decent choice, at least until mid-50s or so. I had her in both my arena and PvE teams until I got War Chief to purple and she did quite well. The rest of your team is pretty squishy, and I don't really like Cleric for the arena, since he can be shut down by control/stuns too easily, so Admiral might be a good option for now. I'm not sure how tanky Emberblade is though, I haven't used him at all yet.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Phoenix rules in arena/caves in my opinion, but yeah not so awesome for crusades just like q_k said. I usually charge her up in the first few rounds and then save her to kamikaze a tough wave later on.

Commando is really awesome too though, I'm working on 4-starring mine now. Almost a necessity for PvP.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just unlocked Grand Arena yesterday. Who would you guys suggest I focus on getting first - Death Mage or Iron Hoof? Both are very tempting, thinking of Iron Hoof only because I already have a handful of pieces for him...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

Is Arcane Sapper any good? I just got a full one from a gold 10x pull, as well as a cleric (which I had). It was a good pull. He looks pretty cool, I'll say that for him.

I think every one of the top 10 arena players use him, he's really good. However from what I understand he doesn't really come into his own until like level 70 or so. Mine is only 57 I think and he's too squishy to be reliable right now.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

vulturesrow posted:

As luck would have it my first chest pull today gave me a Phoenix! Second pull gave me a Mystic piece. I think the game is trying to tell me something....Wondering if i should use all my Crusade points on Commando now our picking up Mystic...

Personally I'd stick with Commando for a while, she rules and is super useful in basically everything (PvP, crusades, etc). Mystic is good too but his buff is magic only, while Commando buffs both damage and agility for everyone on your team by quite a bit.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

Maybe I'll just spend a day's worth of stamina and raid tickets on that mission.

Nah, you'll always need shoes but they aren't exactly in short supply either. Just save them when they drop and don't use them for enchanting mats or whatever. Several missions drop them, and if you do run out it only takes 1 or 2 raids for them to drop anyway. They can show up in the shops for really cheap, too, and I always buy them when they do.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

DemonMage posted:

So besides having extra dudes for defense duty or desperate crusader fodder is there any compelling reason to level/tier any of these guys up? I guess Mystic eventually at least for magic heavy team duty.

You'll need three full teams for the Grand Arena.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
War Chief and Mystic are both top-tier heroes and definitely worth keeping leveled/evolved.

Out of your list, Rifleman, Savage One, Vanguard Warrior, and Machinist are also very good, not as essential though. I personally like Cleric a lot too. Lightning Master sucks early on but would be good on a magic team once he is purple and above.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

I'm looking for a little advice on the general direction I should go with my team.

My current go to is:
B Shadowleaf, B chaplain, B ice mage, B dark mage, B+ ember blade

Others I have

B lightning elemental
B depths voice
B psychic sword
B admiral
G+ tusked storm
G+ ember storm
G+ lighting master
- vanguard warrior

I'm lvl 34 right now. Suggestions?

Ice Mage is not very good IMO, she gets a little better with her purple skill but even then there are better choices. Personally I'd replace her with Depths Voice. I'm assuming you mean Death Mage on your team, if so I think that's a pretty solid line up for your level.

Lightning Elemental is also really good, he especially owns in Crusade. Tusked Storm is also great for a lot of situations, his ult attack speed buff can make a big difference in tough fights. When you PvP I'd replace Chaplain with one of those two, healers are a waste in the arena. Out of the rest of your heroes, Vanguard Warrior is good and worth leveling up, and probably Admiral too for now since you don't have much in the way of tanks.

The next heroes I'd recommend aiming for are Commando (from Crusades) and War Chief (Elite campaign levels). War Chief is easy to farm and one of the best tanks in the game, and Commando is just a crazy good support unit.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I wasn't a fan of Rifleman initially, but he is definitely a beast in certain situations. I think I'm gonna get him to 3* before working on Commando/Phoenix anymore (both just over 4*).

Also, I've got a couple of lowbie heroes I haven't used or put any real XP into yet. Out of the following, anyone have suggestions on one or two to focus on? (I know some of these are good, but I have a lot of heroes and it's getting hard to spread out XP as it is)

Vengeance Spirit
Savage One
Shadow Shaman
Psychopath
Mountain
Sniper

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

EzEight posted:

Vengeance spirit is an Endgame must have PVP and PVE, think Lunar guardian but better and with CC.
Savage one is a good exp sink when you have nothing to level as he is a core member in killing raid.
I heard high level Psycopath is incredibly tanky near the end game and is the perfect counter to Arcane Sapper. Arcane sapper teleports to him instead of your backline due to being a Int hero.

Thanks, gonna start working on Vengeance Spirit then. I've almost unlocked Lunar Guardian too, hopefully it's not a waste to have both.

And too bad about Ember Blade, but mine is already at 3* and some change so I may still evolve him to 4* after I unlock Cloud Walker. Too many good heroes from the Grand Arena shop.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

EzEight posted:

If you have Vengeance Spirit you should not get Lunar Guardian.

VS is a direct upgrade on to LG, LG stops being good at around 70 at that level pvp opponents have enough enchanted gear that the multi hit attacks only spped up their energy regen. Check the ranking boards LG is rarely used.

Yeah... I have 75/80 shards for LG at this point, so I'm gonna unlock her anyway. Oh well, I'm sure I can use her in Grand Arena at least.

commish posted:

Apparently Ember's power doesn't scale well with increased *, meaning the difference between 3* and 4* is minimal, relatively speaking.

If Ember Blade doesn't scale well then I guess I'll keep him at 3* for now, although with the extra login shards for the next two days it makes it even more tempting. He has great synergy with War Chief - the life steal combined with his invincible purple attack has turned the tide of many PvP battles for me. Still gonna finish Cloud Walker first and probably Iron Hoof too.

Other commentary - I evolved Rifleman to 3* and he's a beast in raids and against any team that is tank-heavy. I didn't care for him so much early on, but with his purple skill he's pretty drat good physical DPS.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

DontMindMe posted:

By the way, hang onto your Staff of Wizardry pieces. At around level 80, there is an item that requires about 40 pieces to make it from scratch, and multiple characters need it.

It is one of those "level" items, where two lvl 1 --> lvl 2; two lvl 2 --> lvl 3; and two lvl 3 --> lvl 4.

Whoops, wish I had known that earlier, I've been using them as enchant mats since I had so many. At least they have a good drop rate in general and drop from one of the trials.

Hit the hero jackpot yesterday. Bought 10x gem chest, got Iron Hoof, Wandering Spear (I think that's his name), 30 Death Knight pieces, and a couple pieces for Shadowleaf. Also got Old Curse to 3* and unlocked Cloud Walker from the Grand Arena shop. So many heroes, so little XP...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Is booty cave worth the time investment? Besides setting my guys up to mine it seems like a huge time sink with very little gain. I can see where turning gold into exp potions will be good, but is it worth it?

I think it's worth it, although I don't feel obligated to grind through all my bread every day. I usually go for gold actually. Plus, free diamonds. I usually do it while watching TV or something, just start a battle I know I'll win and hit auto-fight.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Cinara posted:

I barely ever bother checking caves, I seem to only find groups significantly higher level than myself.

I have no idea how they match you up to other people's caves - I'll get a streak of 10+ caves that are a cakewalk for me, and then suddenly 3 in a row that are defended by three players all at level 80.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Ember Blade works great with War Chief's life steal aura - usually after he does the teleport thing he's regained a big chunk of his HP too.

DemonMage posted:

Last time Daveski said Savage One and Vanguard Warrior are good, but not sure what I'd use them for specifically. Vanguard Warrior is always a huge joke when I see him in Crusade/Arena, basically a free win as the rest of their team dies as he comes out. He also mentioned Machinist who seems really high damage when I've fought him in PvE, but otherwise I have no idea what I'd use him for, I guess Lord of the Caves?

Yeah I'm not as much of a fan of Vanguard Warrior now that I've picked up a bunch of other front line heroes, but he is very good vs outland Phoenix. And yeah, Machinist works great for Lord of the Caves, his ult is good for charging up and saving in Crusade, and he is great DPS for my Grand Arena team too.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 10, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tequila posted:

Since it sounds like you've purpled Machinist, is his purple skill a passive haste boost or a randomly activated haste boost?

Passive, it's a great skill.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

I just got to 55. I see DemonMage's post above, but I was wondering who else stands out as good for Robot Fighter. I have a stack of EXP items from my caves that I can use to juice some folks, if needed. I figured Succubus is probably worthwhile, as is Psychopath. I'll probably level up the latter and get some skill ups onto him.

Edit: :stare: I just got my face kicked in by that guy. I didn't even get him to half.

Old Curse is great for him too. I can beat the robot dude with just him and Succubus, plus Cleric/Chaplain (or whatever healers) to keep them alive and Commando for her buffs.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Does it have the same chance for dropping the items that would normally drop? Should I hoard raid tickets for later or are they common enough? Tia

Chance to drop is the same, I believe. If you have any level of VIP you get a bunch of raid tickets every day, I have more than I could ever possibly use.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Zotix posted:

I have to say the higher I get the more and more I feel commando is losing her luster. Even at 5* purple +1, full enchant, she does poop damage. Her haste buff largely goes to waste as most of the time is used just getting to middle, and is likely cancelled out by the enemy commando. Her stun on the tank is the only redeeming quality, and is it really that good? Her ult does garbo damage. Even her damage buff just doesn't seem to cut it. I feel putting in an actual damage dealer in her spot is a better option.

The main reason she is really good is that her haste boost at the beginning of the battle lets your team fire off all their abilities before the other team can. That plus the initial tank stun gives you a huge advantage right out of the gate over a team without her.

\/\/\/ Agility is attack, physical crit, and armor, I believe.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 11, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

HotBobaloo posted:

So just opened my 2 day golden chest and got the Professional Killer. Seeing as how my luck in these types of games is terrible, I'm guessing he sucks. Should I at least replace my lightning master with him? I'm lvl 32 atm.

Also, just got cleric, is he a better tank than admiral at my level? I'm about to start crusade for the first time.

Cleric is a great early tank for Crusades since he can heal and shield himself. Much better than Admiral in my opinion. He is vulnerable to getting stunlocked though - if he can't cast his skills he can go down quick. If you just pay attention and retreat if that happens, he works well.

Professional Killer isn't the best, but he is probably better than Lightning Master at your level (LM sucks in general). I haven't used him myself though so maybe I'm wrong.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tsurupettan posted:

When should I stop investing in the lovely team members? My six units are all blue 35 on the cusp of blue+1. I'm just maxing chaplain skills now.

I'm going to buy commando tomorrow. I should have a cleric ready soon as well.

At your level and with only a handful of units, it won't really be a waste to "invest" in any of them. You can't really waste skill points as long as you max out the good heroes first, and you'll need everyone to be at least decent (for trials and such) until you expand your roster a bit more. I'd say it's not really until the early 50's (when they start turning purple) that it becomes too expensive to level units you won't use long-term.

The only suggestion I have is to avoid investing much in enchanting gear until later in the game - it's a cash sink and that cash is wasted every time you promote. It won't hurt to spend a little and enchant to the first level on green/blue gear, especially on your tank/healer, but maxing stuff out is a waste of gold for very little return.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Zotix posted:

What do the level 70 Time Rift's offer up for rewards? Like is it more cheese for the xp one, or is it a new tier of XP items?

XP only drops cheese, gold is still a mix of green/blue/purple but with better drop rates on the blue/purple ones.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Dreylad posted:

Lightning Elemental is kinda poo poo.

Lightning Elemental isn't top tier, but I like him for Crusades and for PvE versus physical immune enemies. His ult hits everyone pretty hard, and if you time it right and take out multiple enemies at once he'll get enough energy back to recast it quickly. He also works as a psuedo-tank for the magic-only trial. I got some lucky drops for him and mine is 4*, but he's probably not really worth farming when there are better heroes to spend your stamina on.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tsurupettan posted:

I picked up Phoenix last night in spite of knowing I should, technically, spend that on raising Commando to 3* first. Then I leveled it, bumped it to blue, went to bed and forgot about it.

I woke up, opened my crusade window and looked at it sadly. I couldn't finish it, I didn't have enough heroes with enough hp! Oh wait, now I have a Phoenix. And my mercenary is still alive too. Maybe I can finish this last stage in crusade!

Yep. Phoenix was totally worth it. Hopefully this means I can regularly completely clear my normal crusade each day as well.

Phoenix rules. He (she? it?) is fantastic in PvP up until the 60's or so, and is still decent after that. And yeah, charge him up early and he can clear an entire wave in crusade basically by himself.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

padijun posted:

what about when you're working on multiple heroes? right now I'm working to get frost mage, commando, and phoenix, and mystic to 3* so it seems like it would be a waste of crusade bux to refresh for just one of them

I think most people shoot for one hero at a time, but there's no wrong way to do it really. With hard mode crusade you get 2,600 coins per day, spending 120 on refreshing 4x a day isn't a big deal.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

milward posted:

I finally got Commando fom the Crusade, and I also got the Lightning Spirit from the daily check in.

I need some advice on where to put my skill points and what heroes to focus on and who I can leave on the back burner.

My heroes are:
Lightn ele 3* B+ 25/25/3
Shadowleaf 2* 25/21/3
Emberstar 1* B+ 16/16/2
Lightn master 1* B+ 15/13/2
Cleric 1* B+ 20/20/1
Chaplain 1* B+ 32/6/3
Commando 1* B+ 8/17/1
Admiral 1* B+ 12/12/1
Psychopath 1* B 13/14/3
Warrior monk 3* B 7/8/2
Deathgore 3* B 4/7/1
Shallows Keeper 1* B 3/3/1
Lightn spirit 1* G 1/1

I was thinking that B+ lvl 35 and skills in the 20s is good enough for a B-team for crusades?

Out of what you have, Shadowleaf, Commando, and Chaplain are all top-tier and are worth investing in for the long term. Shadowleaf's most important skills are her ice arrow and her silence. Commando's is the haste/damage buff (her green skill). Chaplain is her ult heal and her charm. Don't waste points on her Pilum attack.

I also like Lightning Elemental for Crusades and for PvE, focus on his ult. Cleric and Shallows Keeper are both decent tanks and you'll probably need both of them for Crusades, although try to unlock War Chief ASAP. At level 73 I still use Shallows Keeper as my third tank for Grand Arena and for the first couple waves in Crusades, so I think he's worth investing in.

I don't know anything about Deathgore or Warrior Monk, I'm not sure if those are worth it.

edit: this page lists skill priorities for every hero, and it's pretty accurate: http://www.urgametips.com/2014/10/heroes-charge-skills-list-for-all-front.html

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 18, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ImsaKidd posted:

It's always a 3 star hero, though I think it's picked from a subset of them (or much higher chance for these): Brute, Lightning Elemental, Professional Killer, Wind Master

I got Succubus both times I started (once on the server I got placed on, then again when I started on the goon server).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tsurupettan posted:

I'm working on a Shallows Keeper (is he a superior tank to LE?)

Yes, very much so. I don't even really consider Lightning Elemental to be a tank. Personally I think Shallows Keeper is the third best tank in the game, after Iron Hoof and War Chief. His purple skill gives him a huge armor boost, and his ult is useful for interrupting the enemy team, in particular stopping Phoenix's laser beam. He's probably better than pre-purple War Chief.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tsurupettan posted:

First day in a while I'm not finishing crusade but I did most of it on hard so I came out ahead still. Tide hunter rules and terrorblade is ruining my day. Don't know his name in this game but he's the clone summoning demon guy.

Fallen Dominion, he's a pain in the rear end. Combined with Cloud Walker it's like there are twice as many heroes on the other team.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

milward posted:

I just opened an Ancient Temple. Should I just use my A-team and hope to do as much damage as possible?

Anyone interested in helping out? I can invite 5 guildmates and the temples are lvl 40-41 (I am lvl 41).

I will always help out with temples (DaveskiSA in game, obviously). Even if I'm not online at the time I will check in before too long, because I have no life and work from home so no one will yell at me for playing phone games. :v:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I always mix up Frost and Ice mage, it's terrible naming.

Not as bad as Lightning Master, Lightning Spirit, and Lightning Elemental.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tsurupettan posted:

Sapper is regarded as 'solid' but not essential yeah? I remember people raving about him earlier and then going 'yeah he's alright i guess'.

He is decent enough early on, but is squishy as hell. He gets stronger at higher levels though, and he is pretty much required if you want to compete in the absolute very highest tiers of PvP. If you look at the arena rankings, every single team in the top 50 uses him. For most folks though, I'd say he is really good from like level 70+ but not essential. I don't use mine at all right now, but some point I'll probably start leveling him again.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I hear she falls off later on, but I'd like her for my Grand Arena team I think. I've got her as one of my main heroes on the secondary server and she's been super powerful once skilled up.

I have her at 75 and 4* and she hasn't fallen off yet in my opinion. For top-tier PvP everyone seems to use Vengeance Spirit instead, but for my purposes right now I like her a lot.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Tsurupettan posted:

When does Shallows Keeper get good? I'll be 48 today so I am getting really close to purpling out heroes. Averaging a level a day so I'll be able to do it by the weekend.

His purple skill gives him a massive armor boost, that's when he really starts to pull ahead of other tanks that are OK before 50 but fall off quick, like Brute/Cleric/Admiral. I haven't used Deathgore so I'm not sure how he compares though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Niton posted:

I didn't realize Chapter 8 was as high as it was. Having some of our more powerful players lay off of Chapter 7 might be a better solution.

That makes sense. I think that even if you only fight once during the whole raid, you'll still get some coins at the end. So maybe if the higher level folks wait til the end boss and just hit him once or twice it will still be fair to everyone.

• Locked thread