Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I hate Tia, she is one of the worst characters ever. (Mid-game spoilers) That part when she gets kicked to the curb for good is one of my all time favorite video game moments.

Aside from that I love everything in this game. It felt like this weird but appropriate fusion of Final Fantasy and Zelda that really hasn't been replicated since. Makes me wonder if there was something different about the development of this game given how painfully mediocre the rest of the series is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm not sure whether the DS remake literally railroading itself with blatant plot contrivances that make no sense is brilliant or just stupid.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

That crown-stealing scene is magical :allears: In fact those two are one of the best parts of this game however rarely they show up.

Suds sounds good to me.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

quote:

: Why do they have to make it so complicated?

: It's so monsters can't activate it accidentally. Anyway, try giving that crate a push.

This... actually makes perfect sense. :psyduck:

Also what the hell is going on, Tia's blatant meddling and desperation for Maxim's attention is actually almost charming in the remake, whereas in the original it just sorta comes off as infuriating.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

WinterSteel posted:

I love the puzzle mechanics even if they can approach or pass hair-pulling difficulty (not even mentioning that puzzle.)

I hope you're talking about the fire arrows+growing plants :argh: :argh: because whoever designed that one is pure evil.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Welp I had absolutely no idea that noon puzzle solution was a thing, somehow I keep learning new secrets about this game even now.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Courage would be absolutely perfect but alas, five-letter limits ruin everything.

So instead I'll just piggyback off of YBURN

Also I hate this boss I hate this boss sooooooo much :argh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I always found it weird how stats-wise Selan boils down to Yet Another Female Squishy Wizard when that doesn't remotely fit her character.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Battle Theme 3 is the second best song in this game and one of the best battle themes of all time. :allears: Also I might be in the minority on this but I like Lufia DS's version even more.

I always loved the Gades sprite, it does a good job at this point of the game just how utterly outmatched you are (supposed to be) against him.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I love how they added such a braindead easy puzzle right before the boss just for that joke at Dekar's expense :allears:

Legna bandwagon it is.

quote:

Next Time: Dekar joins the team, but in return, one of our party members must leave forever! I'll bet you can't guess which one.

Oh it can't be Tia right, please don't let it be Tia :effort:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

This music is giving me some pretty severe flashbacks...

Pfft, sliding puzzles are Baby's First brain teaser, World's Most Difficult Trick my rear end. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What have they done to you, Lufia 2? :psyduck:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The game has shoehorned Selan into Squishy caster role at every turn despite being portrayed as proud and powerful swordsman who can hold her own with any man, a strong and capable combat warrior. It's time to show this game that this is exactly who she is.

Eqiup the Dragon Spear, wreck face, and show her husband who's boss. :getin:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Libluini posted:

Now I have to ask, how much time do Speedrunners lose because they have to re-do their run? In my book you don't really beat the Ancient Cave in under an hour if you have to repeat that hour 50 times due to an unlucky highlevel-encounter somewhere between level 80 and 99.

I mean I can understand this working if you're building up levels first for a few hours and only start dashing if you're halfway there (because then it doesn't mean instant death if monsters catch you) but four level 1 party members seem to be a bit extreme, regardless of the equipment.

You can avoid almost all encounters on the map unless you run into a tight corridor or a monster-infested treasure room since most all enemies have an exploitable movement pattern. And even on enemies you have to fight there are the cursed weapons with 80% insta-death accuracy mentioned earlier and you can always manipulate a first strike encounter on the map.

As for leveling , the strategy seems to boil down to "Hope you find an AoE spell for your caster and then pray for cores"

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Relatively useless, generally unaccounted for, attacks with lightning in a funny hat?

Let's name our new CM Idura.

Idura is just swell.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

In honor of Idura's uselessness, Dekar can be the only choice for a perfect replacement to our fallen comrade.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Does anybody know, or want to speculate, on how much the boom of RPGs on the SNES contributed to the Lufia series? It always struck me as a second-stringer series. I'm just curious if there's ever been any sort of commentary from the folks that worked on these games. Which is not to say I didn't enjoy them, Lufia 2 especially. Going back to it, I could call it quaint or "a product of its time" but there's a certain sincerity to it, if it had been a tabletop game I would have adored being at that table. In truth, when I first started running a D&D table WAY back when, SNES RPGs were what I was aping.

Well Lufia/Estpolis was the debut game for Neverland so I don't know if there's really much more to it than a bunch of Japanese guys who wanted to make video games start a video game company and make a DQ-style RPG because those were popular at the time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Iris's whole shtick is that she knows the future and is trying to guide things along the right path. Maxim was fated to die previously (against Gades, wasn't it?). Since he didn't, Iris has been flying blind, so she's trying to figure out how Maxim and Selan "fit together" so to speak, to get some idea of how things are going to go.

At least, that's my reading of it.

The weird thing with this is that Iris was the one who saved Maxim from dying in the tower in the first place.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The plant puzzle was my bane when I played this game. Most Difficult Trick on the other hand was no sweat, sliding puzzles were my thing when I was younger :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

As if Dekar could be killed by anything as meager as an entire dungeon collapsing over him. Death has to try a little harder than that! :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I always figured that there wasn't any special reason Selan in particular was killed by the explosion, maybe aside from having less endurance than the rest of the group. She was just unlucky.

I was always amused that Arek's ultimate master plan amounted to "Let's send a bunch of evil death gods to earth and see what happens."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This ending destroyed me the first time I finished this game and I have no shame in admitting that.

Thanks for the LP, I enjoyed it a bunch.

• Locked thread