Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The game tends to get overlooked because it's attached to a franchise that is like the Platonic ideal of mediocre. But having said that, this one is very, very good. Easily one of the best JRPGs of the 16-bit era. Try to avoid spoilers if you're not familiar with the game (the one in the title doesn't count). There are a lot of nice touches that elevate the plot.

Also:

Aerdan posted:

Just a quick question: you're using the European ROM, right? I ask, because somehow the US localization team screwed up and lost some data; it's not going to be obvious until later (a very important location we'll see in due time is missing some of its map data).
I loving knew it! For years my friend tried to convince me that the factory sealed copy I bought brand new from FuncoLand was somehow a bootleg that triggered Nintendo's copy protection, because "his copy worked fine." Thank you for exposing him as the dirty ROM using bastard that he is. No offense intended towards the OP. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Even better, that area is a major turning point in the plot. Thankfully the dialogue balloons are intact, but the action onscreen looks like it came out of a terminally ill NES cartridge. In retrospect, it's kind of hilarious but at the time I was pissed. You should show off what the unmodified map data looks like when you get there.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

'Ikari Points?' Now I feel silly for referring to that game feature as 'Item Power' for the past 15 years. Giant catfish that cause earthquakes is one of those old Japanese myths for what it's worth.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I... don't remember any boss giving me a hard time, but I tended to get obsessive about leveling and evolving the capsule monsters when I was younger. Lufia II isn't a hard game by any means, but it does have a very cool way of testing your system mastery, so to speak.

Anyway we just got a dog that changes shapes, so naturally we should call him Jake. Yeah, that's right. It's a still a better reference than Yburn ya jerks. (Not that I expect it to make any difference this late in the game.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Selan's ability to equip swords is sort of window dressing at the moment (and the fact she uses them does actually come up in dialogue more than once). Later on though, especially in the endgame, there are some fantastically powerful swords which elevate her damage output something considerable compared to certain other party members.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Can't be worse than fixing that one goddamned bridge in the first game. It was, what? Four or five dungeons before you could repair that thing? Man, what is it with this series and bridges, anyway?

KataraniSword posted:

Speaking of the GBC Lufia sequel, it's actually on the 3DS eShop now. Maybe if it gets support, we'll actually see Lufia 2 on the WiiU's virtual console!
Is that actually any good? I know isn't much like this game, but I'm at the point now where I might appreciate it for what it is.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

S'cool, man. We'll just chill out here and talk about goblin poop until we hit a new page. (Actually that was kind of cool to read about, are there any other non-spoilerish quirks to the German translation?)

Re: the Dual Blade, presumably it's a reference both to the twin forces in opposition, and the conflict (e.g., duel) meant to decide things. It's a clever bit of linguistics, it just makes no sense as a visual description.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I always preferred the Earth-aligned CM (and no that is not a spoiler goddammit of course there's an earth elemental). Dude was bulky as gently caress and never seemed to run away. I'll nth my enjoyment of the DS remake updates too. If I didn't have such fond memories of the original game it's possible I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Our new CM is an Airbender, but not a very impressive one. Call him Ehhng. (I will acknowledge this is a bad joke but you only have to put up with it for one dungeon.

There's nothing else I can add to the back-and-forth with Dekar in this update. Is it any wonder he's a fan favorite? :allears:

• Locked thread