Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Aw, I was kinda hoping this would be an LP of the DS remake, but I'll settle for this. Great, great game. And no matter how many times I beat it, I still have to think my way through the puzzles. Every other RPG I've played more than once I can do the puzzles with my eyes closed. Not this one. Hell, there's one that still makes me panic because for years I thought it was time based instead of step based and it's that ingrained in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

RelentlessImp posted:

Fire arrows and bushes? That was my first time where I cracked down and used GameFAQs. That loving puzzle...

Oh yeah. And the one right afterwards...well, right after the mini-puzzle right after.

SC Bracer posted:

Haha, about that... I was talking to Blast about said remake, and I'll be covering it in the thread as well. It's pretty drat different so the amount of detail I'll be going into will vary based on how much it changes, but looking at how it's going, I'm in for the long haul. Gonna wait for Blast to get a few updates in probably so that I don't spoil anything accidentally.

Sweet! That'll give me the incentive to play along. I stopped recently. Thanks!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always thought it was weird that Maxim can't use fire magic. That seems like such an odd restriction.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You can actually rescue Tia before leaving the cave, as long as the Catfish is beaten.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of the many things Lufia does well is that like Lunar, it rarely takes itself very seriously. And in Lufia, the NPC's seem to realize they're in a game while the playable characters don't and they play it up so much. I love it.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 2, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
As much as this game does right, it really doesn't do the Maxim/Tia relationship well. At all. Or hell, Tia in general. But I feel keeping that line like it was in the original would have been a solid step towards making it better. As it is in the game, all it does is make Maxim look oblivious and/or a complete rear end in a top hat and Tia look like someone about to boil a rabbit.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I need to pick up this version again. I actually like Tia this time around, and she's pretty handy as your primary attacker. Nice range and damage.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There is the Mind Ring but due to misplaced coding (?) Strong is more than sufficient for the coming fight.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Right here is when Iris started getting interesting to me. She never intrigued me before, but her saving Maxim without him knowing raised some red flags for me.

Man, I could go on about that character. But I can wait.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Blastinus posted:

I might give that a look. Thanks for the heads up.

By the way, the next update is coming tomorrow. It's the first time in a while that we've had a two person team, so that ought to be different.

Just remember...Gale is your friend! Fireball not so much at the moment.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Huh, just noticed something.

Iris said that Guy and Selan were destined to fight alongside Maxim right? But Maxim was supposed to die in the tower after taking down Gades, but Selan didn't fight there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
True, I didn't think of it that way. She could very well be saying what needs to be said. Although I do like the implication that Maxim wasn't supposed to knock up anyone. I wish they'd played with that more throughout the series.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

PFlats posted:

I kinda take the Sinistrals as a parallel to Olympians or other less-than-omnipotent gods, and this was supposed to be their debut myth. As I see it:

The God of Destruction comes down and destroys. In time, some chosen humans rise up, face him, and eventually win, but only with great sacrifice: the greatest of them, the nobody from a backwater town who's already become famous enough that kings are welcoming him whenever he visits, dies in the process.

Thus they get their first mythic hero, Maxim and his Foomynauts. The story is over; peace returns to the world. (Probably not forever, but that's how these stories work.)

Now, though, Iris hosed it all up. She was supposed to give the humans a fighting chance, to make sure the story played out that Sinistrals are badasses that you can maybe handle if the greatest heroes of a generation work together and are prepared to die. Instead, the great hero survives unscathed, hooks up with another Foomynaut, and a line of godkillers is born. I could see how that might screw things up.

Gingers. A race of soulless god killers. My god the world of Lufia just got infinitely more terrifying.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember recently playing through with a code that gives you nothing but blue chests...Oh man that was fun for a while.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't imagine how you'd survive the whole thing without red chests though, and wouldn't that prevent you from getting Providence?

If you turn the code off, the next floor goes back to normal. I just did it for fun. I wanted to see how fast I could slaughter bosses.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Eric the Mauve posted:

She's definitely recognized by her companions as the Party Caster, and really hates the label, as we will hilariously find out later.

One of the things I love about this game is that it always feels like there's an actual bond with the party members. You feel like they're more than companions, they genuinely care about each other too, even when they're giving each other hell. They're best friends. There really aren't many games I can think of where that feeling comes across so well.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I get the feeling she was supposed to be the "magical fighter" type, which comes off more effectively in the DS version. She's a much more formidable fighter there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This thread made me pick up the DS version again and I'm making some good progress. Holy poo poo the Jeros rescue scene made me bust a gut. And Gades was a suitably difficult fight. Man that took some time and effort. Whew.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
They do a little more with the energy waves thing in the DS version.

Speaking of, is that still going on?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really never used Guy much in this version. He's just too slow. I generally stuck with Tia and Maxim through the game. There's one boss later on that Tia absolutely slaughtered in about 30 seconds. I couldn't repeat it with anyone else.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Vil posted:

:confused: It's a little overly formal (but then, it's Iris), but it's totally grammatically valid as far as I can tell.

He's talking about the cross. I think all the ruined cities still have them. I like to think of it as a subtle jab at Christianity because it make me laugh.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always forget about the limited inventory in this game. It really sucks if you're me and even though I've played through this game many times and, WHAT IF I NEED THAT FIRE DAGGER?!-itis. It's an offshoot of WHAT IF THERE'S A STRONGER BOSS AND I USED MY MEGAELIXER FOR NOTHING?!-itis.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Torrannor posted:

It is a strange detour but it has nice character moments as compensation. At least now we enter the last stretch of the game.

The inventory space is huge, I don't understand how anybody could have a problem with it. Just sell old weapons and armor, that also lets you avoid some of the grinding for cash you would otherwise have to do. I'm usually keeping all jewels and rings, and even then I always have a ton of space left.

For some reason, a long time ago, I got it into my head that once you could afford everything in the new town without selling old equipment, you were ready to move forward. Then I played Legend of Legaia and said "gently caress that".

For this game, it tends to be the stat potions I hoard until Artea joins, the Charred Newts that I never get around to selling. The healing potions that the game loves to throw at you and that I always forget to sell because MP isn't much of an issue in this game, the rings, all of which vary in usefulness, the rocks that I seem to be really lucky getting, and the useful IP's. It never becomes an issue until about Artea joins, maybe a little later. Unless I'm playing Retry like Blastinus is, in which case you actually never need to sell anything and thus it slips my mind.

Seriously. Look at his gold amounts. You're swimming in it at all times in Retry mode.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've actually got a pet theory about Iris but it involves spoilers from other games in the series, including the DS version. Mind if I post it Blastinus?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Blastinus posted:

Spoiler tags only, but sure.

Actually I think I'll wait until you get towards the end. Even though I'm sure everyone knows what the game is building towards, I don't wanna ruin that part. But it's tucked away safely in a file for that day.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never actually do it, because I'm petrified that if I do the Dragon Egg quest some of the eggs will go in the Difficult Trick chests and like hell am I doing it twice

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Tallgeese posted:

You mention how Gratze should have been a threatening entity...

If I'm not mistaken, they're the antagonists in the GBA game.

You're mistaken. There's no GBA game. Nope. Just the 3 games. Three. No more, no less. Well, 3 and the DS remake, which I'm gonna assume isn't being LP'd anymore.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Yapping Eevee posted:

This is right up there with "This is totally the final dungeon, guys!" in terms of lame comments I wish people would stop making.

And I'm not sure why you'd deny the game's existance either. Judging from the wiki entry I just Googled, it sounds pretty interesting.

It sounds interesting. It most certainly does. It had tons of potential. So many great ideas. But...well...I'll let you decide for yourself if you ever play it. Or if someone decides to LP it. And if you do, keep in mind it basically stands alone. There's no mention of Sinistrals or even Maxim and company...and the main character is from PARCELYTE! And it takes place only a few years after this game.

Seriously, other than Parcelyte, Gratze, and one character, it has no connection to the rest of the series.

And that's the least of it's issues.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Ah, so what you mean is that it's more or less a Lufia game in name only. Now that sounds more fair.

Maybe I'll look into it...

Make sure you use a cartridge. Or have a code handy to give you items. The rom has a bug that freezes the game when you try to buy stuff and as far as I know, there's no fix.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Could be. I haven't played it in years. I just remember I had to put in a code to get all the items and equipped them as I found them in shops. Then I started getting annoyed at the game and just threw on everyone's ultimate equipment and blew through the rest.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember back in the day when I was on GameFAQs, there was something I read that said the developers accidentally switched up the Gades battles in the final game. The first one you fight was actually supposed to be the final one, which explains why this one is rather...bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Well, since that was the last update and I'm going to bed, here's the Erim/Iris theory I mentioned earlier.

Massive spoilers for the whole triolgy (since the 4th one doesn't even mention Sinistrals or anything)! Heads up!

Basically...there are 9 super-beings. 3 good, 3 neutral, and 3 evil.

The evil ones are Daos, Amon, and Gades.

The neutral ones are Arek, Dual Blade, and Erim

The good ones are a little different. They get reincarnated as Maxim (thus the constant red hair), and 2 other companions. But these aren't important for this.

Arek is more or less a watcher. He just kinda chills on this throne and sees what's going on. Dual Blade is more active. Very powerful, at least somewhat sentient, and highly desirable.

Erim is an agent. Her being the Sinistral of Death is highly symbolic. Death is neutral. Completely and always. Nothing can escape it. So she flits around all 3 groups depending on what is needed at the time. All through the trilogy (TRILOGY! There are only 3 games and a remake!), she goes back and forth. At the beginning of the series' timeline (just before Maxim's quest), she is neutral. Everything is balanced. The world is relatively peaceful. 3/3/3.

Arek sends her on a mission, decide which side the scales should tip towards. No idea why he does that. Shits and giggles?

Erim (as Iris) meets Maxim and realizes instantly who he is, and sends him on a mission to fight Daos and company. See who wins. And in keeping with the idea of balance, her very nature causes her to start swinging every which way. She starts doing good. She sees the best of humanity in Maxim and company and slowly starts to sympathize. She starts showing humanity. This is way more obvious in the DS version where she bonds with everybody. There's some kind of relationship forming, besides the one she has with Arek (and that one is just about duty). Thus, this is all new turf for her.

We learn later that Erim revives Gades and Amon from death. Yet, she saves Maxim several times from death too (as Iris). It's a little different since Maxim's super-being since he's in a mortal shell, but SHE STILL DOES IT, even when fate says she wasn't supposed to. This firmly puts her in the "good" column.

But...in keeping with her nature, she has to switch to team Baddie and give them a helping hand. It's only fair. She turns back into Erim and fights Maxim and company. She loses. Daos loses.

And she saves either Parcelyte, or Maxim, Selan, and Parcelyte (depending on which DS ending is considered canon). Another good act.

At this point she's torn. She's being pulled in 3 different directions. So she reincarnates herself as someone with a completely blank slate, see how that works out. That is Lufia. As Lufia, she falls in love with the next redheaded hero. But...complications arise again. Dual Blade activates her memories, but only the ones of when she was evil. The conflict of her new "good" life (and I use that term loosely because she treats Jerin like poo poo, but is on the whole a good person) and her evil memories make her desperate to get out of the cycle she's stuck in.

And so she comes up with one final plan. Find a team that is capable of destroying her. Completely and utterly destroying her. The internal conflict has gone on for centuries, and she can't take it. So she disguises herself as Seena (not reincarnated, she knows who she is the entire time). She recruits Wain and company and secretly nudges them the right way so they can kill her once and for all.

Sometimes I like to sit down and analyze stories. Feel free to point out any holes or how completely terrible this theory is.

• Locked thread