Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Loving this LP, played the hell out of this back in the day. I'm interested to see how the remake is...though thus far, I'm not impressed.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Boss Jewels while powerful and full of +stat goodness tend to taper off really quickly. Arguably the best part about the Catfish Jewel is that it's a powerful all-enemy attack when your options for those just opened up. I ended up not caring about the boss jewels after the next one, mainly because that one has a cool attack and because droprates get so bad I never got any afterwards, except in the post-postgame.
After the very early game (where you want anything just to fill the slot), the boss jewels are usually outclassed by other ones you can find so it's not really worth doing lots of resets to get them.

The Catfish Jewel itself is actually the best example of this. It raises Guts and Magic Resistance by 20, but these are the two worst stats available, so it's inferior to even the Eagle Rock that you could already have gotten from random monsters. Catfish Jewel is a (small) improvement over leaving the slot entirely empty, but the instant you get basically anything else, you'll want to sub it out. The other boss jewels are better, but still not at all critical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Blastinus posted:

Note: it might be tempting to feed it something more valuable for up to eight ticks at a time (such as Jewels), but then it will start demanding items like that all the time and you're basically stuck until you can get more items of that value.

This is true, but easy to get around. If you feed them a valuable item, they'll start demanding equal quality items, but you can just feed them a few poo poo items (Potions, Charred Newts, Boomerangs...we're really talking the bottom of the barrel crap here) to reset their cravings. This also works for cycling through their specific requested items too - If they ask for a Battle Knife, and you give it to him, he'll start asking for something else. Toss him a few Potions and suddenly he'll start asking for a Battle Knife again, which you can feed him for the boost...Rinse and repeat.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Blastinus posted:

YBURN, you have failed me for the last time! From now on, I'm sticking to Foomy.
Personally, I usually end up sticking to Foomy all the way until you get the other monster with very high Guts, then swap. It's just not worth the hassle to have your monster run away the instant it takes damage.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yeah, Cold Rapier on Maxim, Fire Dagger on Guy is pretty much all you need for the Clowns.

It's actually kind of impressive just how many enemies have specific weaknesses that you can hit by equipping the right weapon. Sadly, the main game's enemies are simple enough (particularly on 4x XP mode) that it tends to be basically optional - The clowns are easier with the proper elemental weapon and IP attack, but it's completely doable without it.

If you play in the bonus mode, however, abusing enemies' weaknesses can often be the difference between success and game over.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The n00b Avenger posted:

Didn't figure out the cursed item thing until like my third playthrough.

I always just assumed they worked the same as cursed items from every other RPG so I never bothered equipping one.

Yeah, it's actually fairly well done here since cursed items tend to be better than equivalent level items...unlike most RPG's, where cursed items exist for the sole purpose of sticking it to newbies.

• Locked thread