Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

The original Lufia is an astonishingly middle of the road early 90's JRPG. It's not bad, exactly, but there's a reason why no one remembers it.

And yet I have more nostalgia for the inferior original. Go figure.

Despite thinking the same about Lufia, and having Lufia 2 as one of my favorite JRPGs, I have beaten the former twice and this one not at all. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tia's not great, but as a second warm body she's still welcome -- 1-person parties in RPGs are no fun.

Worst case she's useful for using more IP attacks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rythian posted:

What does this patch actually do? Just fixes? I tried looking around but didn't see many details.

I just googled it and found it pretty quickly.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/126-kureji-lufia/

From what it says, it seems like it makes every boss fight as difficult as that one "unwinnable" boss fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Incidentally, the sinistrals are referred to in the Japanese script as gods, at least prior to the remake. This being the 90s, Nintendo obviously made them change that in the localization of the first Lufia title.

Left-handed people being mad gods of destruction is pretty believable, tbf.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh, Catfish Jewel is really good. It hits all ground-based (so most) enemies for 60-80 damage, and costs practically no IP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ArchWizard posted:

Since it's going to end up as spoiled thing, we could name it YBURN.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Grind and kick his teeth in. DO IT

I did it without the 4x I might be a total nerd but it was worth it honest.

You don't need to grind if you play it smart. Lowest I've done it at is with everyone being at 23/24, though it requires you to be a bit lucky. If you're 26 or higher it's not bad at all.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Torrannor posted:

:siren:DON'T CLICK THAT LINK IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME ALREADY! MAJOR VISUAL SPOILERS:siren:

Oh no it shows what some of the bosses look like :geno:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you know what you're doing (and have a bit of luck) you can take down Gades at a much lower level, as shown by this guy's video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxLRQzKhWI

Also the introduction with Gades always makes me think of the scene in Berserk where Guts meets Zodd for the first time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that's how I remember it. Essentially, it's heavily implied the girl Lufia in Lufia I (the sequel) is the reincarnation of the Lufia-Sword of Lufia II. (the prequel)

More spoilers for Lufia 1 that makes no sense since Lufia is the reincarnation of Erim. Not sure why the German localizers decided to change that much. I don't think anyone would have minded Lufia being nothing but the title.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Libluini posted:

Let's just say German translators are kind of over-eager sometimes. If they find something they don't understand, they just rewrite it. Same with the "Cobalt", it was changed to the more sensible "Kobold" in the German translation.

Hell, other games divert even more from their English versions. But for some reason there are some translations closer to the Japanese source, too: Nintendo's translators in Großostheim sometimes had access to the original Japanese script and just translated directly into German.

Is it actually "Cobalt" in the original Japanese (or w/e the equivalent would be I guess). I figured Cobalt was just a mis-translation of Kobold since this game's transition is pretty mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

Equip it, then put Selan on the frontlines. Who's the "fourth best warrior" now? :getin:

Do this.

• Locked thread