Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Aw, I was kinda hoping this would be an LP of the DS remake, but I'll settle for this.

Haha, about that... I was talking to Blast about said remake, and I'll be covering it in the thread as well. It's pretty drat different so the amount of detail I'll be going into will vary based on how much it changes, but looking at how it's going, I'm in for the long haul. Gonna wait for Blast to get a few updates in probably so that I don't spoil anything accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Gothsheep posted:

I didn't know about the DS version, though. What's so bad about it?

I wouldn't call it "bad" so much as drastically changed, which didn't go over very well. It was fine for me because I had no idea what a Lufia was before I played it (I'm from a place where videogames really weren't a thing in the 90s, or even the 00s). Not so much for someone with a lot of nostalgia for the original game.

e: still not fantastic, mind, but it's not terrible or anything

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 28, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Welp, I was told to fire when ready, and here I am firing away.

So, when Blast brought up that he was going to an LP of this game, we ended up talking about the DS remake, and apparently I'm one of the three people on the planet who's actually played the game at all...so I figured it would be nice to do a comparison lp alongside this one.

So, Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals is an ARPG co-developed by Square Enix (yep) and Neverland, who were in fact the developers for the first two Lufias as well. Natsume ended up publishing the game in the US for some reason though. It's pretty different from the original game in a lot of ways, even though the core story remains the same. It's got wildly different character art, completely redone gameplay that feels more like an Ys game than a turn-based RPG, a somewhat altered execution of the story, and a few extra features that would be a tad spoilery at this point. Lufia 2 DS is nowhere nearly as much of a classic as the original--it's not even particularly amazing, but I had fun playing it when I did, years ago, and it's a pretty okay action RPG with puzzle elements.

Video if you want to check out the (really bad) voice-acting they added in, and some of the animations which are nice enough.

The screen pans over this giant...island...thing, before our new friend starts to speak.

Another pan over the group of obviously evil dudes.

: Your role is finished! From now on, destruction, chaos, and fear will reign...!

The remake does some interesting things with character design. Tia isn't blue anymore for example.

: Attention, all those who call this place their home! I am Gades, the Sinistral Destruction!

All of humanity must now bow down before me!

Gades gets a line or two before each character is introduced.

: I shall fulfil the ancient prophecy and destroy the earth!

: My will shall shatter the earth, and a new world shall rise in its place!

: Obey my commands, and you too shall have a part in this new world!

: Dare one of you challenge me?! I am invincible! Indestructible!

And that's our start screen. So that was absolutely nothing like the original intro, and focuses on very different things, like there being no sign of the mysterious Arek. Maxim has a canon name too! Just like the original though, we have this before you can boot up the game, but it is in fact not skippable your first time through.

Chapter 1: Wait, this isn't where the Game is Supposed to Begin

So here we are, hanging out at sea with Lexis and Maxim.

: Well, this isn't something you see everyday... Maxim! What should we do?

: Let's go, Professor! I'm sure something amazing awaits us.

Their dialogue is actually the same as the intro here

: Whoa, really? You mean this ship can fly?

: Well, it can't right now, but someday it'll be able to!

Character models sometimes get little emotes like these above their heads to go with portrait expressions.

: Someday...? How does that help us now?

We're cut off by a glowing red ball descending from the floating island.

: Soma Temple? That's where Parcelyte sent their investigation team!

: They might be in trouble! Let's go!

: Gotcha!

There we go, that's our first destination. Gotta wonder though, with a name like Doom Island, how do you not expect awful things happening every five minutes?

So here we have our generic menu options.

The biggest change: no more world map. Just a menu for wherever you want to go. I like this feature a lot since world maps without fast travel are literally the worst, but I guess that's just personal opinion :v:.

Talk has you chat with your party about your current objective, in case you've forgotten and isn't very exciting. This time, it just repeats Lexis' dialogue higher up.

Character Menu lets you check stats, your inventory, equipment, and options menus.

Save and Load are as usual. You can save anywhere between dungeons, but inside a dungeon, there are designated save points and checkpoints.

So let's head over to the that shiny new location, shall we?

Ah, yes, the scenic volcano temple.

: Oh, I don't know. It's got a certain volcano-y charm to it.

Maxim looks around

: This place is huge! Who built it? And how?

: No one knows. This place predates all historical records. Some think it may not have even been built by humans...

: Wow...

: There's no telling what we'll run into here. Be ready for anything!

Well, we run up this ramp, and then to the switch.

: Hm, what's this?

: It looks like some kind of switch. I wouldn't mess with it if I were you. Who knows what it does?

: I don't see anything else we can do here. Sometimes you just gotta trust your luck!

: Oh brother...

: Whoa! The platform is moving!

It doesn't come across in screenshots, but pressing the switch makes the ramp rotate upwards to a different exit.

: It was clearly made by beings with powers beyond those of men. Fascinating...

: It must be one of the members of the research team!
Hey, are you all right?

:(: Uh...uuh...

: Hang in there! My name is Maxim. What's your name?!

:(: My name is Ruben... I'm a solider[sic] of Parcelyte...

: Ruben what happened here?

Well, that's not good at all.

: You ran into that Sinistral guy who was shouting about destroying the world?

:(: I managed to escape...But the others... they... Gades was so strong...

: No!

: Maxim! What are we going to do about this Gades fellow?

Maxim is very proactive about saving the world.

: I was hoping you'd say that. I'm going with you.

: Careful, Doc. You're a little too old to be fighting.

: Don't treat me like I'm helpless! I've got a lot of valuable wisdom to share.

: Oh yeah? Like what?

I hate to cut off Lexis here, but the next several lines of dialogue are just glorified tutorials. The big thing he mentions is the Level Boost feature, which is...really something else. Level Boost is literally what it implies. If you ever are defeated in a fight, you can "Retry+Level Boost" to start from the last checkpoint, but everyone in your party will be 5 levels higher. Yes. There is no penalty for doing this as much as you want. You can also retry normally, but this is just a sign of things to come as to just how forgiving this game is about combat.

Also Ruben isn't actually dead despite Maxim's "No!". You can even chat with him, but he doesn't say much of value.

Oh hey, the little jellies. They take more than just one hit to destroy now, but it's extremely trivial.

So, combat is pretty simple. Press Y to attack, press A to dodge, B to jump, and X to perform a special move called a Wave Art. R lets you charge your moves up. Every character has their own special, and these can interact in various ways with the environment, which is how a big part of the puzzle-solving in the game comes in. As you get more and more people in your party, the puzzles become more dynamic, and you rely on switching between dudes to solve them.

Maxim's is Cross Dash which lets him dash a short distance (read: literally fly), and lets you cross small gaps with it. Wave Arts cost IP, but this recharges by itself very quickly so feel free to spam them.

Also, see how our damage numbers are yellow, and there are coins everywhere? This is Overkill. You can keep whacking enemies after they're dead for a short period of time for bonus gold and experience.

There isn't much to show here. There's a new enemy that looks like a bee, and hits pretty hard, but is otherwise a weenie. I also get an antidote (cures poison) for my troubles. The item you get here is actually random, and I got a mystery pin (cures paralysis) on my first go-through. The only other thing of note is that all the encounters are mandatory. You need to beat them to progress.

Since this is more or less a tutorial dungeon, it's very nondescript. When we finally reach the top...

: I've got the same feeling. I can sense some very dangerous and powerful energy above us.

: You think Gades is leading us right to him?

The platform shakes and then takes us up towards the exit.

A boss, that's what.

: Whatever it is, it looks tough! Be careful, Maxim!

: All right, ugly! You're going down!

This guy is technically beatable, but there's no point in trying, so I just rub my face on him a bit. There is of course a strategy, but we'll cover that when he (inevitably) shows up again.

After the battle:

: YAAAAAAH!!!

Uh oh.

: I'm impressed. I feel strong energy waves flowing from you.

: Wh-who are you?

: You don't recognise me? Look closer at my energy waves.

: Your energy waves?

: Yes. Can't you see?

Oh, yeah, I see now, you're...who are you again?

: Y-you have the same energy waves as that gigantic monster! But that's not possible! Unless...

: Yes, that's right. I'm not confined to one form like some pitiful human. I am Gades, the Sinistral of Destruction!

: The Sinistral of Destruction?

: Yes. I will destroy your dismal little civilization and remake it into something more to my liking.

: Not while I'm still standing!

: Ha! As you wish.

: Gh...

My hero!

: Who are you?

: Foul creature, be gone from this place!

: Hm... Impressive energy waves for a human.

If it wasn't already obvious, the game loooves energy waves, and this isn't the last time people are going to shout at each other about them.

: ...

: She's granted me enough power to challenge the likes of you! Be gone from this place!

: Ha ha ha! Crushing humanity is going to be even more satisfying than I thought.

He teleports away. Meanwhile, Maxim is still lying on the ground.

: Sure. Never...b...better...

: Please don't talk. I will use healing magic to fix your wounds.
Are you okay?

: And you can actually use magic? I didn't know there was anyone left who knew magic.

: It is the Ankh of Runa.

: The Ankh of Runa?

: Yes. Its powers allow me to use magic, and protect me from monsters.

: So that's how you got here alone.

: Yes.

: I'm Iris.

: I'm Lexis. Never thought I'd meet a priestess of Runa in this day and age.

: I am the last one. I have been in hiding, preparing for the time I'd be needed.

: I'm guessing that time is now?

: Yes. Gades is one of the Sinistrals.
Prophecies say that the sinistrals are four legendary beings who appear to bring about the end of civilization.
But the prophecies tell of a hero who has the power to stand against the Sinistrals.
Maxim, that hero is you. I can see it in your energy waves. You are the legendary hero.

: The legendary hero? Me?

This screen is here because Lexis is great.

: Hey, come on. This is serious!

: Sorry.

: Actually...no.

: What? You've never heard of the legend of the Apocalypse? You really ought to read more, Maxim.

: I'm not interested in some silly old myths. I'm too busy practicing my swordmanship.

: It's no myth. The Sinistrals have appeared before. They come to destroy civilization.
Sometimes they have succeeded, and plunged humanity back into the dark ages. But sometimes a hero stops them.

: The legendary hero...

: I believe you have the potential to be that hero, Maxim. Your energy waves give you the strenth to fight a Sinistral.

: I...have that kind of power?

See? He's great.

: H-Hey!

: Hahaha!

: You'll need a lot of practice to reach your full strength. But not even the legendary hero can triumph alone.

: So what should I do?

: There are more warriors with strong energy waves in this world. You must find them.

: And hope they're crazy enough to fight against Gades.

: You'll have to travel far and wide to find these warriors.

: Interesting...

: Think we're up for it, Maxim?

: Of course! That sounds like it'll be one heck of an adventure!

: Sure, an adventure with the fate of the world resting on us. Well we'd better get moving!

: You got it.

: It is my mission to aid the legendary hero in his journey. I will go with you.

: Are you sure? It sounds like it'll be pretty dangerous. Dude at least she scared Gades off.

: It is what I've spent my whole life preparing for.

: Well, glad to have you along. I'm sure we can use the help.

: I'll do my best.

: Well then, let's go back to Elcid. We need to prepare, and I still need to make some modifications to the Excelion.

: Oh yeah, what about the solider[sic] we found at the entrance? Again!?

: He is alright. A Parcelyte ship arrived, so he'll be in good hands.

: That's a relief. Alright, let's go back to Elcid!

Next stop, the town the original game actually begins in.

Bonus
Maxim redesign
Lexis redesign
Gades redesign
Iris redesign

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 30, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Camel Pimp posted:

I really don't think that the Lufia 2 remake is that bad, although it does have its fair share of problems. Honestly, my biggest problem with it is how they greatly condense the plot (for those that don't know, a lot of stuff in the opening here, specifically meeting Gades, won't happen for quite a few hours in the original game) yet it's still padded. I really don't have a problem with making it an ARPG, it's a competent ARPG if much too easy, or the redesigns. Frankly, I don't think the original designs are all that great. Sorry, I don't. Also, I feel the remake improves Tia quite a lot, which is a mark in it's favor.

This is pretty much how I feel about the game honestly. Like I've mentioned before, this was my first foray into Lufia, so I don't have any of the nostalgia that comes with growing up with this game. It's at worst a competent ARPG that lets you get through the game with minimal effort if you so feel, which can be a point in its favour or not, and the redesigns are typical of today's JRPG look, just as the older designs were typical of SNES RPGs, so I can't really blame the game for not sticking with that particular 80s anime aesthetic. poo poo's still anime, just from a different era. As for Tia, we'll be taking a look at that soon enough.

Having to transcribe the game manually is making me realize just how wordy the game gets at points though, holy poo poo.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Torrannor posted:

A Lufia 2 LP! :woop: I think Lufia is the third best SNES RPG after the two Secret of Mana games. It certainly has some of the best SNES music. Battle Theme 3 is the best song in the game.

That DS remoke looks horrible.

Tia joining up is certainly a mixed bag for Maxim. On the one hand, every additional party member is a welcome help. On the other hand, she is the connection to his old life that he tries to leave behind, and may hold him back.

I will keep defending the poor thing because it's actually a fun game, just hampered by being Lufia II and having that nostalgia baggage. Plus that was a tutorial dungeon. Once we actually start getting party members that can do more than dash around really fast the puzzles start to get more involved. Maxim is probably my favourite unit in combat along with another person, but he does not lend himself to interesting dungeon layouts.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Chapter 2: Smalltown Romance and Fish

Happy New Years, everyone!

So last time, we ran up the local volcano temple, got our asses kicked by ENERGYWAVES, and met a lady in a pretty dress. This time we'll be heading to the town of Elcid to hang out with Tia and get our exposition on.

As you probably remember from Blastinus' first update, Elcid is our starter town, and it's not very interesting in either game.

Lexis is an engineer, not an architect.

Tia is hanging out next to this fence, doing something with the plants. I actually really like her new design in the sense that it is goofy as gently caress.

: What's taking Maxim so long? I hope he didn't run into that Gades creep...

: Well, you know that Gades guy who was talking about destroying the world? I kind of picked a fight with him.

: You fought HIM?
I like to believe Tia is used to this poo poo, and it's just like oh god not again maxim this is the third time this week

: Professor! How could you let Maxim do something so dangerous?

: How could I stop him? Man versus Sinistral... What a fascinating experiment!

: Don't conduct experiments with Maxim's life! Fighting that guy was too dangerous!

: Somebody had to do it, Tia. And I'm a monster hunter. I'm used to danger.

: Yeah, but...

: Hey, I made it out alive right? And I got that Gades jerk to shut up.
Way to take all the credit from Iris, buddy.

: That's true! Everyone owes you their thanks for that!

: Hey, no problem!

: But...don't you ever think about giving up monster hunting and trying something safer?

: Like what?

: Well... Like... You could maybe find a nice store here in town that would hire you...Some place like my shop, for example!
The screen actually zooms in little by little on her for each dialogue box, just to *hint hint* harder.

: Oh, come on! Can you imagine me stuck inside all day, working in some boring shop? That's ridiculous!

: (Some boring shop? Is that what he thinks of what I do?)

: Hey, is something wrong, Tia?

: No! I'm fine! I'm glad you'd rather spend your day with smelly monsters than in a shop like mine!

: What? I didn't mean...

: Ha ha! Smooth, Maxim. Maybe you should spend less time studying swords and more time studying women.
Or maybe he's just stone-cold.

: W-who is she?

: Greetings. My name is Iris. I am Maxim's new partner in his journey.

: His new partner? You mean like his wife?!

: N-no, Tia. We're just taking a trip together.

: A trip? Like some romantic getaway? Maxim, you just met this woman! You're moving too fast! TOO FAST!!!

: No, No! It's not like that at all! (Yikes! What's with her?!)

Yeah, she's strangling him. The game would like you to know Tia likes Maxim.

: Ha ha! I'll bet you wish you were back fighting Gades right now.

: Ack! Real funny, Doc. Now HELP ME!

: Tia, Maxim does need to breathe...

: Oops...

: There isn't any hanky panky going on between Iris and Maxim. But she did save us both from Gades.

: Oh. Um...sorry about that, Maxim. And Iris...thank you for saving this bonehead.

: No thanks needed. It was my destiny.

: Anyway, according to Iris, we have to gather a group of warriors strong enough to defeat Gades.

: So that's what our journey is about. It's not a romantic getaway.

: Oh. Whew. But once you get enough warriors, you'll come back? I mean, YOU don't have to fight Gades again, right?

: ...

: Come on, Maxim. Tell me you won't fight Gades again.

: Sorry, Tia. He has to be stopped.

: Then let me go with you!

: No, it's too dangerous.

: I can handle myself.

: Not against this guy.

: Well, then I could help you by doing things other than fighting.

: Like what?

: Well, I could cook all the meals for you guys.

: Hey, come on. This journey is scary enough already!

: What? I'm not that bad! My cooking just has a...unique style!

: That's one way to put it.

: Don't worry, Tia. I'll look out for Maxim.
I think that's what she's worried about, lady.

: TAKE ME WITH YOU!

: NO!

: Well I'm getting on that ship, and you can't stop me!

: Tia, please stay here. I'll feel better if I know you're somewhere safe.

: Y-You're really worried about me? You're not just trying to brush me off?

: Of course.

: But...

: Don't worry. I'm sure we'll have this Gades jerk all taken care of in no time.

: Okay. But remember to come by my shop if you ever need any supplies for your journey.

: You bet! Thanks a lot, Tia.

: By the way, Maxim, just where were you planning to go first?

: I was thinking of heading to Parcelyte. They've got a strong army, so we should find some great warriors there.

: I see. Well, I'd better get to those modifications to the Excelion that I had in mind!

: Sounds good, Doc.

: It's going to take a little while, so why don't you go kill some time?

: Gotcha.

: Come by my store. I'll make a nice lunch for you.

: Sure!

So, we get dropped off just outside Lexis' pad, with the Tia's lunch looming over us. Elcid is not exactly the most interesting town, but it's got a few NPCs we can chat with, and a few things we can check out that will be fairly important. First things first, let's talk to the people in this area, and then move onto Lexis' lab. The NPCs are all named but have no portraits. You go, guys. Forgive me for skipping the less interesting chatter though. Some of these guys have plot-importantish things to say, a lot of them...don't.

;-*: So the Sinistrals have returned... The legends are true...

: Do the legends say anything about why the Sinistrals reappear?

;-*: Some speculate that the sinistrals start to feel threatened by man's progress. They don't want to let our technology advance to a point where we could threaten their power.

: Then why let humanity survive at all? Why keep tearing us down and letting us rebuild when they could just wipe us out?

;-*: No one knows. Though if they really are gods, maybe they can't exist without humans to fear and worship them.

None of the other NPCs say anything interesting, so let's move on.

Hey, is that a scarecrow in a labcoat?

: Hello, Jack. Um, how's it going?

:spooky:: Excellent! The professor says I am proving very helpful.

: Good. You're a successful experiment, then?

:spooky:: Oh yes. Very much so, I gather.

Just your average sentient pumpkin.

So, so far we know Lexis likes to play with his giant ship, and he has an army of animated, sentient, pumpkin homunculi who are super hype to be doing science things. That's not strange at all.

Actually talking to Lexis is pretty dull. He just tells you to go keep Tia company. I guess we should do that eventually. The rest of Elcid is basically one large screen with a few NPCs scattered around, and Tia's shop, so, let's go explore some more.

This well is actually pretty important. You can jump in, like so:

And that takes you to this little hidden area. I didn't even know this place existed until I accidentally jumped into it while hopping around town during this LP run.

: W-What is this place? Is that...a dragon?

: Doc?!

: Ah. So you found my secret lab.

: Secret lab? For what kind of research?

: It's right over there.

: That dragon?

: That's right. While excavating for energy cores, I found a mysterious egg. I built this lab to hatch it.

: When it hatched, I found out I was the father of a strapping young egg dragon! Hahaha!

: And you keep it trapped here?

: Not at all! It's free to go if it wants. But it really seems to like this place.

: Wouldn't the people of Elcid be upset about a dragon living under them?

: Oh, probably. That's why the lab is still a secret. The dragon is completely harmless, though.

: Well, I guess that's okay. Have you learned anything interesting about this dragon?

: I know that it's very interested in seeing more dragon eggs.

: Dragon eggs?

: Legend has it that there are eight total dragon eggs in addition to the one this hatched from. If you collect them and bring them back to this egg dragon, you might get something interesting.

: Huh. Do you know where the other dragon eggs are?

: I have a feeling they're in the hands of strong enemies. You'll have to do something special to get them.

: Huh. Where would you get a strangely specific feeling like that?

: Don't look a gift hint in the mouth, Maxim! Anyway, I've got to get back to my normal lab.

And he just ports off. Let me amend my previous statement, Lexis along with all his other goodies, also has a pet legendary dragon. Dude owns. Leaving that aside though, this well is dead centre of town. People probably draw water from it. How has no one ever found this lab?? :iiam:.

We can also go say hi to the dragon, who isn't super chuffed that we woke it up.

:smaug:: Who dares to wake me?

: It talks?! The professor didn't say it could do that!

So, this dragon is a recurring Lufia NPC and part of a massive sidequest, where you have to defeat various bosses under a time limit that is never specified ingame. I won't spoil which bosses just yet, but the bonuses for showing it the dragon eggs are:

One egg: 10,000 gold.

Four eggs: Egg Sword (+5*Level to Attack and Magic).

Eight eggs: You can fight the Egg Dragon for the Egg Ring (+70 to Defense and Magic Resist, +50 to all Elemental Defenses, Egg Armor, which makes it so that your moves don't cost IP).

You can challenge the Egg Dragon as much as you want, but you can only get one Egg Ring. I'll try to get the eggs, but there's usually a very tight time limit in place for these fights, so maybe NG+.

Anyway, we port back to the outside too, since there isn't anything else to do in here.

Just north of the well, there's this large structure.

: Yeah. Though I know it's nothing compared to the energy cores in the big cities.

:eng101:: All that power from something we dug out of some ruins.

: I've also got an energy core attached to my sword.

:eng101:: That makes your sword more powerful, right?

: Yeah, and it lets me use special abilities with it.

:eng101:: Energy cores are amazing devices. I wonder who built them...

: Do you think they could have been made by a civilization that came before ours? One that was destroyed by a Sinistral?

:eng101:: I suppose it's possible. But they're so far ahead of any technology we have today.

: But the professor is working hard to understand how they work, right?

:eng101:: Yes. Without his genius, our town probably wouldn't be able to use this energy core at all.

: Just don't let him hear you calling him a genius. His ego is big enough already.

:eng101:: Hahaha! That's true enough.

Hey, let's also go talk to this guy, just standing in the middle of those sprinklers. He never moves. Ever. Hardcore.

Whoa, you have a portrait.

: You're not thinking of trying to fight him are you, Albert?

: I wish I could. I was a great swordsman once, but those days are long behind me.

: But you're still great at seeing the qualities in other warriors!

: That's true. I've still got a talent for giving people "Titles," which can help out in all sorts of ways. For example, your title is "Red-haired Hunter." That title makes you a litte more resistant to fire attacks than most.

: I see. Um, Albert, aren't you getting wet standing there?

: So what? I've got gardening to do! Life doesn't wait for sprinklers to stop, you pansy!
:black101:

Albert's gimmick is that periodically, when you come back to Elcid for whatever reason, you can talk to him, and he'll give you new titles provided you've fulfilled the requirements for having them. Much like in Tales games, titles give you little bonuses for having them, but one nice feature is that every title you collect is active at the same time. There's no reason not to try to unlock them all.

We're done with everything semi-important in Elcid now, so let's go say hi to Tia and get some of that lunch.

I just--aww man.

: Yeah, no problem.

: Thank you. He should be in the field on the east side of town.

We run back to Albert

Wow, rude.

: Great! They'll make a nice garnish. Well, let's eat!

: I made something REALLY unique today. It's going to knock your socks off!

: Cooking is about guys and creativity! Are you ready? HAAAA!

: Tadaa! It's "navaroa," an elusive fish that's almost impossible to catch!

: Huh. I've heard about it, but this is the first time I've seen one cooked. It smells...interesting.

: I know! I told you this meal was going to be unique!

: Uh, I guess I'll try the first bite.

: So? How is it?

: Um...words fail me. You really just have to try it for yourself.

: Okay, here I go!

: How's that working out for you?

: T-this is...disgusting...

: Yeah, I never knew a fish could taste this fishy. I can't imagine any way to make this thing taste good.

: Boy, maybe it's a good thing this is such an elusive fish.

: Yeah, it tastes so bad, I can't imagine anyone would want to catch it.

: Darn. I really want to cook something good for you.

: Oh, Tia... Wait! How about the herbs from Albert?

: Oh, I forgot all about those! Let me add them... There. Now give it a try.

: Let's see... Wow! The herbs really hide the fishy flavor. This is downright edible now!

: Yeah! This isn't too bad!

: It even kind of tastes...GOOD.

: Huh. What a weird fish.

: Maybe it has a reason to hide from people after all. Hahaha!
At least this clears up the question raised in the first update about what a phantom fish is supposed to be. The translation in this game, barring the odd typo, is generally livelier and more solid than what you'd get in the SNES era.

: I don't know if I'd go that far. Anyway, I'll get us some tea.

: Here.

: Thanks.

: Say, Maxim...

: What?

: Why did you choose to live a life where you're, you know, always fighting stuff?

: Huh? Why do you ask all of a sudden?

: I don't know. Just...there aren't a lot of monster hunters out there. And now you're just rushing off to fight Gades. Why don't you let someone else risk their life for a change?

: What, and let them have all of the fun kicking that jerk's butt? No way! And if I've got the strength to stop Gades, I've got to try, right? I can't pass off that responsibility.
I like that Maxim is basically just hype for adventures. Saving the world is just secondary. That guy who said Maxim just wants to get out is probably right.

: Sometimes I can't tell if you're brave or just reckless.

: I guess we'll find out! And thanks for the meal. I'll make sure to bring you back a souvenir from my journey.

: I don't need a souvenir. Just come back in one piece.

: Will do! Anyway, the professor is probably done messing with the Excelion. I should go check up on him.

: Okay. Take care, Maxim.

We can totally check out Tia's shop before we leave. Potions are a full HP heal (no kidding), Charred Newts recover all IP, which is kind of useless in most circumstances, and Antidotes heal poison status, which is relatively debilitating this early in the game. It's not a bad idea to buy a couple of antidotes or potions at this point, because there are a few enemies in the next dungeon that can do a surprising amount of damage. Combat isn't hard, but statuses are definitely annoying.

Now, off to meet up with Lexis.

Aww yeah, a landship.

: Over land? But...it's a ship.

: Yes, the kind of unique ship that only a genius like me could come up with!

: Well, an amphibious vehicle does sound pretty handy.

: Oh. About that "amphibious" part...

: Uh oh.

: Well, progress doesn't always follow a straight line, you know. Sometimes you have to step back to move forward. As a result of the modifications to the Excelion, it's now too heavy to float in water.

: WHAT?! Then what good is it?!

: Well, it still beats walking. It's all in the name of progress, my boy!

: Progress is a ship that sinks?

: Oh, would you stop harping on that? It's only a temporary setback. Besides, we don't need to travel through water to get to Parcelyte.

: See? I knew you were going to do something weird to the Excelion!

: It's not weird! It's genius! Anyway, are you ready to go to Parcelyte?

: Let's get going.

: To get to Parcelyte, we have to cross over the drawbrige in Gordovan. But the bridge has been drawn because of monsters. We'll need to extend it before we can get across.

: You know what would be handy for getting around that? A ship that could move through water!

: Oh, would you quit complaning about that?
I think I'm with Maxim on this one, Doc. My poor boat :(

: I'll be careful.

: If you get injured, return to the Excelion. You can recover your HP and cure all your status ailments here.

And that's it for Elcid. Next time, we get to see our first real dungeon of the game.

Bonus
Tia redesign

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 1, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

So Tia's weapon is a suitcase with a beartrap in it? :stare:

It's even better. It's a suitcase with a beartrap and a boxing glove.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Soo, how do you guys feel about boss videos where I get owned repeatedly :v:

I'm playing on a less than responsive controller right now, and I'm not exactly a master of ARPGs, but it's hard to show off how frantic and fun some of the bossfights can be without a video, so if you guys are cool with a less skilly sort of vid, then I will make them.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Chapter 3: Fuckin' Box Puzzles

So last time, we railroaded ourselves by making our watership a landship. Let's go fix that.

This is the first "proper" dungeon of the game, and actually has one of the selling points of the game: puzzles! Of course, Maxim isn't the best character for puzzle fun, so we'll mostly be pushing blocks, pulling blocks, throwing blocks, and triggering my Bravely Default trauma.

: But they drew the bridge in because of all the monsters.

: It doesn't look like Parcelyte Army will be here to do anything about the monsters any time soon.

: Guess I'll just have to take care of them myself!

: I'll go with you. I don't want you getting in any trouble.

: I'll be fine, Doc. Monster hunting is my business!

: I'm not worried YOU! I'm tagging along to make sure you don't break the bridge's control device.

: Hey!

: Actually, you made it through Soma Temple just fine. You might be safe either way.

: Yes, as long as I have the Ankh of Runa, monsters cannot detect me.

: What a fascinating item! Can I take a look? I'll bet if I could get it open...

wiggle wiggle wiggle

: This is a sacred artifact of Runa. I cannot let you conduct experiments on it.

: Just let me hold it! I'll be gentle, I promise.

: Come on, Doc. I think she knows better than to let you get your hands on it.

Aww they didn't let him science.

Before we do anything productive, let's go grab some treasure. We can push the lower block towards the stack, and scope out that treasure chest.

kaching!

Just off to the side, we can jump on these boxes and get another Potion, which is pretty sweet. Now, we head to the left, for actual plot.

: Um, okay. What about it?

: Take a look at that switch over there. That's a pressure plate switch. You have to push this box on top of it to activate it.

: Why do they have to make it so complicated?

: It's so monsters can't activate it accidentally. Anyway, try giving that crate a push.
Whoa, an actual justification for dungeon puzzling. What even is this.

: Alright.

Uhhh...

: Hey, you could have been a little more specific. I'm new at this crate pushing thing!

: Really, Maxim. Anyone could see that was the wrong direction.

: Hey! Come on, Iris...

: Ha! Don't worry about it, Maxim. I've actually invented a "Reset" device for just this kind of situation.

: "Reset?"

: Yes! It reverses time back to your last checkpoint!

: It reverses time? That's incredible! How does it work?

: I don't know, exactly. It was sort of an accidental discovery.

: Are you sure it's safe to use this thing?

: Sure! I haven't had any problems with it so far!

Oh, Lexis, you god. Reset is the best drat thing, because it completely nukes whatever terrible things you did, and sends you back to the previous checkpoint. The game is fairly generous with checkpoints as well, so feel free to use this whenever you think you've messed up. You Reset by tapping the pictured button on the bottom screen. There are a few places you can't use it though, and I'll point this out when we encounter them.

So, let's pretend Maxim wasn't an idiot, and move on. Our box is back now, so we'll push it towards the brown pressure plate.

This activates a ladder that will take us down to the meat of the dungeon. Before we go down though, let's head further left, and go grab some more treasure.

These blocks are light blocks, and you can throw them at things. We can use that, and another of the blue push/pull blocks, to make our way up to that treasure chest, which contains a Miracle. Miracle is pretty great, but completely useless to us for this dungeon. It provides a full IP/HP heal and revive, so unless you have another person around to revive you...

Now we can head down that ladder for real.

: Yes. Originally, the wave generator was the only thing here. Nobody knew how to move it. It took years for us to understand how to operate it. Its technology is incredibly advanced.

: Huh. Pretty impressive!

: However, you need to release the locks on the device first.

: Go for the one on the right first.

: Oh, and I've got another invention for you.

: What is it?

: It's "escape"! You can use it to instantly return to the Excelion from any dungeon.

: As long as it's not weird like "reset."

: Well, I really don't know how this one works either. Hahahaha!

Just like Reset, you tap the icon to leave any dungeon at any time, barring when plot decides we're stuck. One downside is that if you do use it, puzzles get reset as well, and you're sent back to the start, so it's more of a oh gently caress button.

So, let's take Lexis' advice and go for the right lever first. This one is just a matter of going right and jumping up a few levels.

There's a ladder just to the left of this lever, which is where we want to go next. If we work our way downwards, eventually we'll run into a gap.

: Oh no! Look at that hole in the walkway. We can't jump across that.

: What are we going to do?

: Don't worry, guys! I can get across with my "Cross Dash" attack!

: Oh, that's right! You fly through the air when you do that attack!

: I've never seen an attack like it.

: Just be careful. Don't break anything else while you're flying around with your sword.

Now that we technically know how to Cross Dash, let's make a quick detour. Right of this gap is this rather indistinct ladder that you have to jump to get to. If we climb up this, and dash across the catwalk...

We can get ourselves a nice little armour upgrade to Maxim's current gear.

Poison resistance is really nice for this dungeon, as we'll see in a bit.

These two blocks on the left side of the area are our next objective. We need to push them so that we can use them to get onto the catwalk again.

Uh, oops. So I hosed up, and managed to knock the Blue jelly onto the block, where it's happy to kill me.

Our next objective is a ladder at the top of the catwalk. First though, left of the catwalk is a potion that'll replace the one I had to burn to take out Bluey up there.

At the top of this ladder is the second lever.

A chest to the side gives us a Charred Newt, which restores all IP, and isn't a very good item in this game, because of passive IP regen being pretty quick. I guess it's ok if you really need IP in a bossfight.

The blue block is going to get pushed to the top-left, and used as a stepping stone so that we can grab a throwing block, and use that to get to our lever.

Now, let's head back to our device.

: It is indeed!

: But this looks like something you have to pedal.

: Well, I had to make some modifications to the bridge to get it to work.

: Couldn't you come up with something better than this?

: Oh, quit complaining. The exercise will do you good. Now go!

: Okay, okay. Grrr... These pedals are really stiff!

: Don't be a wimp. The bridge's energy core does most of the work anyway. You just need to give it a little help.

: Go, Maxim!

: Right!

If you just had a terrifying flashback to Bravely Default, don't worry, I did too. On the bright side, instead of a terrible fairy yelling at you for being a scrub, the button mashing here moves the entire platform of gears forward, as well as part of the bridge.

: Yes! It's moving!

: RRAAAAAAHHH!!!

: Pedal with everything you've got!

Click here for the Gordovan Bridge in motion.

: (It took everyone else hours of pedaling to activate the bridge, yet it reacted to Maxim's energy waves almost instantly. There is something truly remarkable about Maxim's energy waves. Maybe he really is the legendary hero.)
and thank god for that

: ............

: What's wrong, Doc?

: Oh, nothing. That's half the bridge done. Now we've got to do the other side.

: We're only half done?

: Ha ha ha! Sure, but you get to use another of my amazing devices to get across. It's over here. Get to it!

: Yeah, yeah.

One last detour before we go the other side. This particular ledge is pretty important, and kind of on our way to the next pedal device. There is a fairly tricky jump forwards into Cross Dash you can perform here for treasure. Don't worry about falling, while the game has fall damage it'll never kill you, and you land back on the edge you fell off of.

Several attempts later...

Also you can see the pedal device we want to get to just above the message.

: Easier than moving a bridge, right?

: Yeah, yeah.

: We made it to the other side. Extend this half of the bridge!

Getting this block on the X switch lifts the wooden platform just behind the block, and lets us progress.

We can also get to the third lever, and once that's activated, climb on the brakes, and grab some dosh.

There's a chest with an Antidote in the area just above the block. These purple enemies are why they give us this freebie. These assholes are Poison Butterflies and they can paralyse or poison you. Poison works as normal and saps your health, which is pretty nasty, but won't kill you. I am...not quite sure what paralysis does, since I was fighting normally. I think it makes you slower?

These are the savepoints in dungeons, and they give you a full heal. I spent some time grinding up to level 8 here, so that I'd be ready for the boss, since things respawn when you come out of a save point, and all the healing's free.

Left of the save point, there's a large two-stack tower that you want to get to the lower ledge, and then climb up so that you can push another tower down.

Rapier gives +5 to Attack and +10 to Magic. It's a decent upgrade for Maxim.

: It must be somewhere close by.

Now that we have things set up, we can use the tower we pushed down as a bridge to the lever and pull it. Or we could, except, you know.

: Now I can pull the brakes.

Luckily, it's sitting on the brake for some reason. So let's fix that, and then mash buttons again on the bridge device.

: Nice work, Maxim!

Now that we've finally got the bridge extended on both ends, we can just casually head back to the Excelion and--

: Aaah!

: Tia?! What are you doing here?

: We'll have to figure that out later. Maxim, save her!

: Of course! Hold on, Tia!

: These look like some tough customers, Maxim. What out when they go berserk!

We're actually a high enough level that these guys aren't very dangerous to us, but they still take a while to kill.

When enemies are red, they're in Berserk status, which makes them very hard to knock down, and also amplifies their damage.

Their most dangerous move is to spin at you really fast, which knocks you out for a bit. The best strategy for this fight is to dodge away when you see them spinning, use Cross Dash to knock them down, and then attack until they berserk, which is when you dodge away again. You can even punt them into the void, but that doesn't really do very much.

: Yeah... I'm fine.

: Why did you come here? I told you not to follow us!

: I wanted to come with you!

: No. If something happens to you...

: Yes? If something happens to me...?

: Uh, what'll happen to your shop?

: Wh-What?! Maxim, you idiot!

Welp, game over. Go home everyone.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 4, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

CmdrKing posted:

I figure it's 50% the new design and 50% having other characters around so it's clear Maxim really is that dense.

I want to believe, because of the way he quickly stops from saying something that could be construed as romantic to talking about her shop, that he isn't nearly as dense as he acts, he just really doesn't want to date Tia. I imagine part of why it feels less awful is the better translation as well.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Gordovan Drawbridge is also really snazzy in motion.

As mad as I get over the pedaling, it really does look pretty great in motion. Just hard to get a decent sized gif of it. Then I remembered that's exactly what gfycat is for.

Gordovan Bridge in motion

e: made a somewhat better one.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 4, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
So wow. Camu doesn't exist in my version, Tanbel gets demoted to a mine, and you meet Guy in a different part of the world and he's uh different.

Also my update will be up shortly after we hit a certain point in this one. Not dead, don't worry :v:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
That's a good puppy :3

Call him Courage obviously.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Blastinus posted:

Maybe I should have gone with the wailing sirens again.

Never not have wailing sirens.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Couple of things to get out of the way, first off, I'll be updating weekends only because school is hard, secondly if I randomly take years between updates, assume it's because I don't want to spoil the original. You'll see why in just a minute.

Chapter 4: To Parcelyte!

When we left off, Maxim and Tia had committed honorable suicide together, as their love was never meant to be accepted by society. This update will be a short tribute (please pick maudlin soundtrack of choice) to their brief but brightly burning lives. But really, let's go make sure they haven't suffered from JRPG brain damage or whatever.

: Yeah... I'm okay... Sorry.

: No worries. I'm just happy you're safe!

: Maxim...

: Hey, are you two alright?

: Yeah, thanks to a little luck.

: Grab onto these ropes and climb up!

Honestly, that went pretty well.

The crew talk among themselves for a bit, because really, would you want Tia around after that?

: But...can't I come with you?

: Tia, if you come with us, these kinds of things will happen all the time. You might even get killed!

: I'll be fine! Don't treat me like I'm helpless!

: Hmmm...

: Maxim, no matter what, she'll keep trying to follow us. So shouldn't we let her tag along?

: I guess we don't have a choice. Iris, is that okay with you?

: Of course.

: At least this way you'll be able to keep an eye on her, Maxim.

: Just make sure you listen to me, Tia.

: You bet! Thanks, everybody.

: You're welcome.

: Alright then! Now that the bridge is connected, let's get going!

: Yeah!

:confuoot:

We're thrown back to the beginning of the bridge, so let's just use our Escape toy (finally) and peace out of here. See ya, box puzzle bridge.

: I always wanted to go to Parcelyte. I am soooo looking forward to visiting.

: Tia, this isn't a vacation.

: Yeah, yeah. I know.

: By the way, Maxim, you should drop by the armoror's shop when you are in Parcelyte.

: Is there something special about the shop?

: I believe there is a monster hunter there just like yourself. She can give you advice if you've forgotten anything.

: Okay.

It's time to go straight to Parcelyte, completely ignoring all the different places Blastinus had to deal with, because haha, we have a landboat. Just to give you a sense of the scale here, he had to go past a lot of different places, meanwhile, this lovely paintjob is our journey so far:

Apologies for the insanely high quality bordered text. I learned how to do that just for you guys.

So yeah. In true JRPG tradition, the world seems to have about four cities in total. That map has all of them already marked.

: It is pretty impressive.

: Oh, I hear the presidential mansion is beautiful! I can't wait to see it!

: Tia! We're adventurers, not tourists!

: Oh, I know.

There's a lot more to do in Parcelyte than in Elcid, though for a big city, it's seriously missing out on dens of iniquity, and all those other things I can see out of my window.

If we head down the bridge to the right, there's a tavern here. You can talk to that dude, but he just remarks that your journey must have been hard. Well, kinda, I had to mash A a lot.

: Yeah, you got it! My name is Maxim.

:aaa:: Maxim. When I grow up, I'm gonna be a hunter too!

Heh, good plan! Well, you just let me know if you want any pointers.

:aaa:: Okay!

: Maxim.

:smug:: It looks like you've seen your fair share of battles.

: I suppose.

:smug:: I see. Well, be careful. There are some very powerful bad guys out there...like Gades. Although, the worse the world is, the better it is for my business. Hahaha!

A depressing commentary on capitalism by Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals.

This guy sells your basic consumables. We've already seen Potions, Charred Newts, Antidotes and Miracles. Awake is a new one that does exactly what it says on the tin, it wakes you up. I like the description because it's literally a party popper. These are fairly handy to stock up on before the next dungeon for a variety of reasons.

: Yes, my name is Maxim. I am from Elcid.

:mad:: I don't care where you are from. Just don't get in my way. I won't go easy on you if you cause me any trouble.

: Y-Yes, ma'am.

: That's a pretty tough attitude for a waitress.

:mad:: Don't judge people by their appearances. That'll get you in a lot of trouble.

While this isn't quite an...armorer...this rude lady is the monster hunter Lexis wanted us to meet. She gives you tutorials should you feel the need to look them up again. I also like to imagine she goes into the field in that dress, looking like a helpless NPC just waiting to be horribly maimed, and then shanks any monsters that come near her.

: Nice to meet you. My name is Maxim.

: Maxim, huh? That is a nice, strong name. You should meet my boyfriend.

: Your boyfriend?

: Yes. I'm sure you'll run into each other. He's always looking for other strong warriors to test his strength with.

Ayy, it's Jessy. Her boyfriend is still Guy too, but we'll meet him in the next update or so. She sells weapons, which is how the tavern also functions as an armory.

Check out all those things we can't equip yet, I wonder who they're for.

: This energy can be used to create powerful items. That's why I'm collecting them. If you find any, I'll give you some good stuff in exchange for them.

This third option is fairly important. Lufia DS has an interesting take on NG+ carryover items, not to mention the dungeon crawler segment. Certain items are "blue items". These are the only things that carry over between play-throughs. If you want to go for the roguelike bit as well, these blue items are the only things that will carry into that as well, so they're very important for giving you a bit of a safety net.

: You only need 20 more soul shards to get a reward!

Getting soul shards is easy. I was just super unlucky or something. Overkilled enemies occasionally drop bright blue coins as well, and that's what you need.

In any case, I pick up a few upgrades for my party, and stock up on potions and antidotes, because you really can never have enough. I forgot to mention earlier, but the strength of the restoration items is balanced by you having a limit of 9 each.

: Yes, my name is Maxim, and I am from Elcid.

:): Wow, you crossed the bridge to get here? It's been closed for a long time.

: Yeah, we got it extended again.

:): Wow, that is really some feat!

: Hello.

:sun:: Hey, I haven't seen you before.

: Yeah, I'm Maxim, and I'm from Elcid.

:sun:: That's great. Welcome to Parcelyte. This is a great town, stay as long as you like.

: Thank you.

On the left side of town are a couple of houses we can visit.

: My name is Maxim. It's a pleasure to meet you.

: If you need any ruby jewelry, come to me. How about something for your girlfriend there?

: Girlfriend? You mean me? Hey, Maxim, did you that? He called me your girlfriend! Hahaha.

: What, her? Nah, she's just a good friend.

: H-Hey! You don't have to sound so shocked, you know!

He'll never love you and you will die alone.

Jaffy's back in this game too, but significantly less poverty-stricken. He provides a valuable service a little later in the game, so he's good for more than a silly questline too. There's nothing to do here right now, so let's get out of here and away from Tia.

: Yes, my name is Maxim. I'm from Elcid.

:keke:: Wow, you came all the way from there? What are you doing in Parcelyte?

: We're looking for strong warriors. Do you know anyone?

:keke:: Strong warriors, you say? Then you should see Selan.

: Selan?

:keke:: She's the toughest warrior in the Parcelyte Army. And she's very beautiful.

Pretty lady? Let's go see the pretty lady.

: Beautiful, you say? Interesting...

Maxim agrees with me.

: Maxim!

: Huh? What?

Lines like these lend credence to the idea that he's not nearly as dense as he pretends to me, I think, because it's not like he's completely uninterested in women. Just Tia.

Selan's house is actually right here, so let's drop in and say hi.

oh okay

: Actually, I'm just looking around the city.

: Oh sorry. I didn't mean to assume... I'm Louisa. What's your name?

: I'm Maxim.

: You look like quite a fighter. That's why I thought you'd be looking for Selan.

: Hm. So she's in charge of a lot of soldiers, huh? She must be pretty tough.

: Oh, she is. She's one of the most respected soldiers in the Parcelyte army.

Running up the main street takes us to the Presidential Manor, which is pretty fuckin' swanky.

: Yeah, it's quite a sight.

: Yeah, it is one of the three largest in the world. The other two are in the Bound Kingdom and in Gratze. According to the professor, the three together could produce even more energy than they put out separately.

: Really? I wonder what would happen if you attached them all to your sword, Maxim.

: I'd need a much bigger sword for starters.

: Yeah. And if you tried to Cross Dash, you might wind up in orbit!

I see literally nothing wrong with this idea can we try it?

: Yeah. Probably best to just leave 'em where they are.

Lame.

Going up stairs, while disregarding all the work they put into the landscaping is my idea of a good time.

what the gently caress that is so mean

: Ahhh! A snake!

:cawg:: Hahaha! Take another look! It's just a plain old rope! You're such a wimp!

: Waah!

:cawg:: Oh no, it's Selan! Run away!

: Selan! Wah, wah.

: Lamitty, you have to stop crying.

: But...But...

: But how come? Isn't it okay to cry when someone makes you feel bad?

: Maybe sometimes. But sometimes you've got to be strong instead.

: Really?

: If you cry, you're just giving the people teasing you what they want. Be strong, be fearless, and try to change things instead of crying about them.

: I don't know if I can...

: You can be strong if you try. And you can start by not crying so much.

: Okay...

: Are you kidding? That boy is crazy about her!

tia no that is not how human relationships work

: Then why does he tease her and make her cry?

: That's just how stupid boys show that they like girls when they're young.

We can go yell at Curtis for being a dick too, so that's nice. We'll overthrow the patriarchy for you Lamitty :unsmith:.

: My name is Maxim, and I hail from Elcid.

:hist101:: Well, you must know Albert, then.

: Yes, I know him.

:hist101:: Well, he used to live here in Parcelyte but moved many years ago to Elcid. I hope he is doing well. he was a great hero, after all.

:hist101:: Oh yes, he most certainly was. But he doesn't like to talk about it. But the things he accomplished...

Through the wooden doors is the President.

That is most certainly a redesign.

: It's very nice to meet you. I'm Maxim.

: So you're Maxim! You're the brave warrior who stood against Gades. My soldier owes you his life. I cannot thank you enough for that. Thank you!

: You're welcome. Though honestly, I didn't do much but get the stuffing beaten out of me.

: Don't be so modest! What you did took real bravery. I hope you'll enjoy your stay in Parcelyte.

: Thank you very much.

I think the interesting thing here is that Maxim in this game is just a normal guy who happens to kill monsters for a living. He's never referred to as "Sir", and most people have no idea who he is or what he's doing behind the scenes, which is quite a contrast from SNES Maxim who gets recognised right away.

The next thing on our agenda is to meet Selan and try to get her to join up with us, so we'll just have to come back when she's not working.

Or not.

:buddy:

: Yeah. Just stay out of our way, and you won't get hurt.

: No way! I'm not letting you thieves get away!

: How sweet. Naive and foolish, but sweet.

: I'm afraid we don't have time for a proper fight, so...

: A bomb!!

: It's huge!

: You've got 5 seconds to get out of here. So move it!

I didn't think so either.

: We must have been sold some bad bombs! How could someone cheat two honest thieves like us?

: W-We'll just have to switch to plan B. RUN FOR IT!!

: Shouldn't that explosion have hurt them?

: Hahaha! Guess they were lucky they got a bum bomb.

: Yes.

: I see, that makes things easier. They stole my family treasure, the "ruby apple." If you get it back, I'll give you a reward. How about it? Do you think you can do it?

Aaand that's how we tie that particular quest into this game.

: Alright.

: Really? You'll take the job?! Thank you! I'll leave it to you, then.

: Are you sure, Maxim? This might be a waste of time.

: Those thieves were right in front of me and I let them get away! I have to catch them!

: That was[sic] the thieves we're chasing! Let's go get 'em!

: Okay!

Poor Tanbel got demoted from a little town to an abandoned mine. It's located juuust north of Parcelyte now, in the mountains you can see in the map. As you might have also noticed, the big reason I held off this update, aside from the fact that the main LP hadn't reached Parcelyte until now, is Selan's introduction, which gets pushed up, while Guy's gets postponed considerably.

Next time, we'll have another dungeon update, with 100% more Tia, who, even though I've been ragging on her this update, is a pretty great field character.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 18, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Blastinus posted:

Considering that Miles was originally another nameless king, I welcome this change.

Also, wow, that sure was almost every single plot hook we've encountered thus far condensed into a single city. If Berty and Bart Betty get suddenly attacked by a giant catfish while we're chasing them, I think we'll have a perfect score.

I'm like 99% sure we don't run into any catfish in the game, so I guess the glorious Namazu wasn't good enough for us DS plebs.

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm trying understand why one would change up the order of Guy and Selan's introduction in the DS version, other than a simple case of "condensing and/or reshuffling content from the original". Especially since we meet the people involved during Guy's introduction as well, but not Guy himself.

Guy's character gets something of a major rewrite in this version, and while it's probably kinda offensive for anyone having played the SNES version, his intro fits for who he is now. Keep in mind that nobody knows Maxim by face yet, and only a few important people have actually heard the name.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

dude789 posted:

One interesting thing about the DS remake is that it adds in and remixes some songs from the original Lufia game to the soundtrack. I kinda wish they would have used a couple songs from the game boy color Lufia game because the boss theme for that game owns

Not gonna lie, I play with sound off so that the desmume recorder doesn't make my PC cry, so if you know more about the music in the DS version, please do tell.

Zereth posted:

: Have I mentioned that I'm from Elcid lately? Because I am. From Elcid.

He sure is. Not sure if it completely came across in the update, but I really wanted to put emphasis on how much of a nobody Maxim DS is early on in the game. He really is just a rando who got recruited into adventures by a cave lady.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 18, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I'm glad the tradition of jumping into the void after girls is still well and alive.

E: also haha selan
"I was a moron and I shouldn't do that again but I might anyway"

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Leaving aside the fact that my game does weird poo poo, the dual sword is just a sword there too.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Uh guys, maybe you should quit it with the insane spoilers?

Really? Endgame spoilers?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Chapter 5: What's Yours is Mine! (Part 1: Hook City)

Last time, we had a ruby apple stolen by the goofiest thieves, and we headed off to the Tanbel mines. Tanbel was a bustling little town in the original SNES version. Now it's a lovely mine with crystals that grow out of nowhere.

The actual mine is fairly pretty, and doesn't really give off the whole industrial revolution dead miners dying from lung cancer vibe, so that's nice.

: Looks like we've got our work cut out for us.

: They've dug a lot of important artifacts out of here, you know. Lots of mystic stones and energy cores. There isn't much left these days, but we might still find a mystic stone or two if we're lucky.

This is an important hint that won't be relevant for a couple of updates down the line.

: Well, I had a little help, but... No, I won't lie. It was mostly my genius. But I only figured out how to use energy cores to power devices. I still don't understand how they truly work.

: I see.

: Boy, I can't imagine life before energy cores. How did people ever manage?

: I'm curious where they came from, though. Who could have created something so powerful?

: Well, some people think they were created by gods long ago. Iris, do you know anything about that?

: No wonder the professor can't figure them out!

: The gods? That's nonsense! I'm still sure they were the work of some great technologically advanced society of man.

: Well, we can argue history and theology later. Right now, we've got some thieves to catch!

: Iris and I will wait on the Excelion.

: I don't see any mine carts now...

Checking out the right side first takes you to the chief conceit of this dungeon. Mine cart puzzles. Heading up the left side brings us to this roadblock.

: Yeah, let's look for another route.

: It is! But how can we get it? I can get over there with my Cross Dash while holding the key.

: Hehehe. Leave it to me! I can grab it with my Hook-shot. Just switch me by touching my face on the Touch Screen.

Tia's IP skill is a giant hook (her beartrap?) that flies out and grabs things. It's pretty great.

I've been skipping these tutorials so far, but Tia's artwork for them is kind of adorable so here you go.

boop

: Yeah, put it down in here.

The key goes here, but I jumped the gun a little, so the dialogue showed up after I already activated the lift that takes us to the next level.

: Hey, Maxim! Look over there!

: What is it?

: Check out that pole!

: I can use my Hook Shot on it!

: Yeah! With my Hook Shot, I can grab that pole and pull myself across this chasm!

: Oh, that's kind of cool.

: KIND OF cool? It's TOTALLY AWESOME! You'd be helpless without me! Just admit it!

: Well it's pretty handy, but I could also just cross this chasm with my Cross Dash.

: ......

: Um...

: Well, maybe you can do that this time, Mr. Smartypants, but there'll be bigger gaps you can only Hook Shot across!

: Okay, okay. I take it back. It's a really useful ability.

: Honestly! Sometimes I hate you!

I just really like this picture too.

After crossing over, we hit our first puzzle. There are a couple of ways to solve it, so let's do the smart version first. Technically, you're supposed to push the boxes in the upper edge onto the X. Let's not bother.

We can just pick up a bomb and leave it on the X to activate the elevator.

The intended solution is to use the bombs to clear these crystals, and then push the boxes on the X.

A useful application of these bombs is to take one to the next level and then clear out those crystals too. That gets us a Featherweight, a weapons upgrade for Tia.

+7 to attack, +15 to magic.

We just work our way across the map.

Hey Jaffy.

: You're here looking for rubies?

: Yes. Even though they're no longer working this mine, there are still plenty of rubies to be found.

Moving along, a pole behind Jaffy leads to this chest.

Then we can jump down and toss this box over to the other side preemptively.

: Heheheh! Maxim, my time to shine has come!

: Huh?

: Keys aren't the only thing my Hook Shot can grab!

: Oh yeah?

: Oh I forgot that I moved the box. Oops.

: So what were you doing to do with it?

: I can use my Hook Shot to grab the box over here! Then we can use it to jump up to this ledge! How about that?

: I see! That's amazing, Tia!

: See? I knew you'd need me!

: That Hook Shot of yours does come in handy!

: And don't you forget it!

This is the intended solution on that note. I think it's neat they had dialogue in place if you broke the sequence.

Again, we can work our way past these guys, who are the bosses from the last dungeon as it happens. Exactly the same in every way.

Tia is important for this elevator because Maxim can't hit the lever for it with his sword, but her boxing glove briefcase can.

Note the box. He is our friend.

: Be quiet.

: The bigger the better. Just like our love, right, Berty?

: You're such a romantic, Betty.

: I think so.

: Well, who else could it be? This mine is supposed to be abandoned, after all.

: Good point.

: Hey, who's there?

: Okay!

oh no its team rocket

: You really have guts to pursue us! We're not gonna hand over the ruby apple to you doofuses!

: That's them alright.

: What kind of thieves have a practiced introduction routine?

: You'll never catch us!

: Give up now before you embarrass yourselves!

: Let's go, Betty. Oh, but first...

: You'll never get us without that key!

: That's my Berty! You're a genius!

: Heh, I already know that. Now let's go!

: It would have made more sense for them to just take the key with them...

: I'm going to agree with you. Anyway, after them!

So, the key is on the other side of the chasm we just crossed over. Tia can grab it easy.

Using her hooks, we drag it over way off to the right.

Now we need this box to help get us over onto the level with the gate while carrying the key.

These scarecrows are massive assholes because that giant bubble? It causes sleep. You just sit there and take a bunch of damage if you don't have any Awakes (like I didn't :negative:). Notice my healthbar.

Anyway, I managed to fight them off eventually with liberal use of potions.

See where Tia is standing? You can hook southwards from that ledge.

Don't need that raincoat because our current gear is better, but at least I can sell it.

And that's that for the first segment of this dungeon.

Oh you thought we were done? No way. There's still plenty of exciting minecart action to come. Next time. :v:

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 8, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Next update will probably be midweek. I have all the screens and stuff taken, it's just that there were 120 screens for this dungeon and nobody wants that.

Also I approve of Foomy's new form because he is now a noble puppy.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tia in the Remake is pretty interesting since she can do a lot of neat things combining the hook shot and the boxing glove. She's not as mobile as Maxim (I never got hit by the bubbles as him) but is a bit faster at attacking to make up for it, plus a longer range.

I prefer the mobility over the range, seriously. She's interesting to play, and has a very distinct niche in the party, which is something the SNES version doesn't do, but it's just not something I am comfortable on.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

inthesto posted:

The important question about the DS remake is whether or not they ever state what that pink blotch in Dekar's hair is. I always assumed it was a glob of bubblegum he never managed to get out, but it's been nearly 20 years now and I need some closure on this.

You'll see eventually :v: (Or you can click on the link below that works too.)

Dekar redesign

I'm planning to get my update out this weekend; midterms are on and I've been preoccupied with those instead of attempting to entertain internet people.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hey, at least he's wearing actual clothes. I mean, that shortsleeved lab coat is kind of weird, but otherwise the only obvious "JRPG! :argh:" design aspect is that weird alien tumor on his arm.

The alien tumour actually makes sense within the game. It's his energy core, since he punches mans to death instead of using a weapon.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Chapter 5: What's Yours is Mine! (Part 2: Sayonara~)

: We know this place so well, you couldn't catch us if you had ten years!

: Ten years? I'd say more like a hundred!

But in a hundred years, I'll be so old!

:3:

: And you'll still be as sweet and handsome as you are today!

: Alright then, let's go! Into the future! Thieves in love for this and the next millennium century!

: Oh, how sweet!

And away they go into the sunset. Wait poo poo.

: Maxim! Don't just stand there! They're getting away!

: *Sigh* Can't we find some better villains than these?

I wasn't kidding about minecarts last update. We can board one of the pedal minecarts (luckily you don't have to mash A this time), and these take you around this second segment of the dungeon.

wheeeeee

The second segment is itself divided into two parts, a chase on the cartrails, and a later semi-puzzle section. The chase is all about timing your jumps over gaps in the rails like the one in this screen.

After you do this for a while, Berty activates a switch that changes the layouts of the rails slightly by extending the rails. I don't know why the mine is like this, I assume that the guy in charge was bored.

He flips a switch for the second time. Our goal is to get to the extended rail just south of us in this screen.

I have no physical idea how to not make this sound incredibly dry, but the entire sequence is just figuring out which gaps you need to get to to jump over, and then not accidentally falling. Falling itself isn't a big deal. The game sends you back to a checkpoint, and you proceed as before.

After you get to that rail, the game takes you to the next part of the dungeon automatically.

: Aaagh! What's up with this place? It's like a maze!

: We can't let those two get away!

: Yeah!

: That's right! It certainly is!

: They'll never be able to activate this device!

: Yeah, it takes at least five crystals to get it to work.

: Of course, that's no problem for us, because we know this mine like the back of our hands, but...

: That red-haired boy doesn't stand a chance!

: It's judgment time!

: Come on, board! Are we winners?

Pictured, certified winningest winners.

: Amazing. By the way, what do we do with the stones?

: Well, of course we...

: ...do that! That boy will never find those crystals now!

: Oh, so you caught up already. That was quick.

: But not quick enough. How sad.

: You're not going anywhere!

: Face it: you two are the tortoise...

: ...and we're the hare! You'll never catch us!
eh

: That's right, Berty!

: Let's go, my lovely hare!

: We'll see you two tortoises later!

um hello thats not

: Doesn't the tortoise beat the hare in that story?
thank you maxim

: Maybe they never got to the end of it. We won't be able to go after them with the track like this, though? What are we gonna do?

: There's got to be a way to get this section of track to rotate back.

: I heard them say you need crystals to activate it. This board makes sure you have at least five.

: Well, let's get in that mine cart and get started!

Oh boy. The second half of this second segment is all about collecting all the crystal mine carts. You may have noticed that there are seven panels on the board, which means of course that there are seven carts hidden around the mine.

First off, we pick up a bomb...

...and toss it over there, at a breakable wall. There's a crystal hidden behind the wall.

Tossing the crystal at your mine cart somehow attaches the two together.

Next up, we take the cart to the next station.

Tia can stand on this switch and pull the next crystal to her. She's still MVP right now.

Just south of the switch are some poles, that you can hook yourself up to some more armour we already have. Maybe I shouldn't have wasted my cash.

Heading right and then north from the third station leads you to a crystal just chilling there. It might not be immediately evident that you can just run into the cave.

To the left of the third station is a slightly harder to reach crystal. You need to time yourself correctly over the poles, which move.

And that's four crystals. We're more than halfway there!

We're not actually done with this third station yet. Just slightly to the left and then southwards, you can work your way down to a good old box puzzle.

There are two boxes here that can only be pushed, so the trick is to turn the lower box into a bridge for the upper box, and then push that one down onto the right switch, and then push the lower box onto the bottom switch. Easy.

We can grab our fifth crystal. At this point, if you're bored of the puzzles, you can just move on and chase after the thieves, but that's not what I'm going to do.

Back at the starting area, activating the lever changes the route you take on the tracks.

At the fourth station, that suspicious wooden cover is hiding yet another crystal.

We're at the sixth and final station now.

All the way south is a chest.

So, here's a problem. There aren't any bombs here to clear the crystals, but we need to move that box to get at our next destination.

Tia is still our MVP yo.

Self-explanatory really. Just repeat this for each crystal and you'll be done.

You can actually gently caress yourself over by killing all the bomb monsters until they stop respawning, so don't do that.

Crystal #7 is a go.

Heading north of the station, we can hook ourselves across this chasm.

And grab this bomb off from the left to break that wall. That'll get us to our eighth crystal.

Now that that's done, it's time to find out if we're winners too.

We're rewarded with a game mechanic that isn't relevant just yet, but don't worry we'll get to this very, very soon.

Now we can motor off after the two thieves.

: It certainly took you long enough. We were getting tired of waiting.

Yes they were just sitting there so that they could hang out with us.

: (Waiting for us? Aren't they trying to get away from us? They seem a little unclear on the concept...)

: Here's where things get really interesting!

: What now?

: It's time to show us your tempo and rhythm! If you can't feel the beat, you'll be knocked right off the track!

What.

Oh, lovely.

So this is literally the lowest point in the game for me. It's incredibly tedious even with save states. As the tutorial says, you have to watch Berty and Betty's cart and copy the things it does. Now, if you fall, which is perfectly possible if you gently caress up the timing even a little, it'll just punt you back to the beginning of the loving level. It's awful.

Pressing B will let you jump over gaps, or onto lower level tracks. Pressing Y lets you duck away from stalactites.

This goes on for a while like the gif shows until Berty decides to kick it up a notch.

: I can't believe I'm saying this, but...this is actually kind of fun!

Lies and slander.

: Yeah, Maxim! We've got these idiots on the ropes!

: Oh, the innocence of youth. That was just the warm up round! You'll never survive what's next!

: Ha! Bring it on!

: Um...yeah!

And so on. After you go through round 2 of Berty's game, he decides that it's time for hard mode.

: What do you mean?!

: No more memorization! Now it's time for synchronization!

: Synchronization?

: Ah, two dancers moving as one! How romantic!

Round 3 switches to an isometric-ish view so that you have advance warning of what hazards are coming next. I promptly fell off anyway. Luckily, we're at the home stretch.

: But the show is over!

: What?

: Thanks for playing, but I'm afraid you lost!

: D-D-Do something, Maxim!

Not an especially tricky jump, but if you miss it, you get to start over again.

: Yikes!

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 8, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
That is legitimately the worst thing in the game, and it only really goes uphill from here. I'm not sure how I didn't ragequit, but it was probably the power of being a dumb child with too much time on their hands. The pain is soothed somewhat by these guys being literally Isaac and Miria, and that last gif.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Selan is one of the best combat characters in the DS version, so we have that going for us too :v:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

They do a little more with the energy waves thing in the DS version.

Speaking of, is that still going on?

That is still going on. I'm just extremely busy with school and an apartment hunt right now. Update will be up this weekend.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Oh hey you finally got to the Excelion :v:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Blastinus posted:

Yeah, no land ships for us. We had to hoof it the old-fashioned way. But hey, at least we never had to ride around in rhythm game minecarts.

That's low man real low :(

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Chapter 5: Hideous Statues and a Guy with a Hammer

We left off last time after an unfortunate mining accident. I suppose we now know why the mines were shut down.

: Beats me. But I'm pretty sure we came out ahead in that race.

: But they still had the ruby apple when they fell!

: Oh no! This is bad...

: AAAHHH!

: Don't move! We're coming!

And so here we are again, fortunately free of the minecart menace.

These nerds are the same armadillos we've been fighting in this dungeon, as well as the bosses from Gordovan bridge, so Maxim makes short work of them. It's not a notable fight, but again, you need to watch out for their berserk mode and spinning attack.

: No problem. Are you okay?

: Yes, I'm fine.

: So you're still here collecting rubies?

: Yep. Mr. Rochy loves his rubies...

: You're working on rubies for Mr. Rochy? You're not the person who made the ruby apple, are you?

: Yes, that's right! You heard about it?

: Or plummeted to their doom. But either way, I don't think we'll be getting the ruby apple back.

: Oh then, come by my place, I'll give you a ruby apple as a token of thanks for saving me.

: You have another ruby apple?

: Well, it's actually a practice piece I made from glass. But it looks identical to the real thing.

: Made of glass, huh?

: Yes. But no one will know the difference.

For a very loose definition of okay, sure.

: But...

: As long as Mr. Rochy is happy with it, who cares if it's the real thing or not?

: Well, you do have a point there.

: Alright then. Let's give it to Rochy and grab the reward.
There is actually a fairly interesting ethical debate that you can bring up about this entire conversation, but I blame finding it interesting on the fact that I had to write a massive paper on it for my finals.

: My store is past the left bridge when you just enter Parcelyte. Well then, I hope to see you there soon!

He leaves, and it's about time for us to head back too. I'm still not sure we found the right solution here, but I suppose it beats going back to Rochy and being like uh well you see they launched themselves into the depths of a mine in a speeding minecart...

: They got away.

: Did you at least get the ruby apple?

: Not exactly. But we've got a backup plan.

: That sounds a little fishy. But maybe I'm better off not knowing.

Yay, inventions!

: Ugh. I hope it's not something weird again like "Escape" and "Reset."
Shh Maxim just let him invent things

: How can you call them weird? Both "Escape" and "Reset" have been useful, right?

: I guess so. Well, hit me with it. What's your new invention?

: The Mystic Stone Board! You can place mystic stones on it to boost your abilities!

: Boost my abilities? How?

: Well...I'm not really sure. I don't quite understand how it works myself.

: See? It's weird, just like I said.

: Well, just try it. Choose "Mystic Stones" from the Character Menu.

: If you don't know how to use it, I recommend that you ask Jaffy.

We have a new option unlocked in the menu now and it is pretty great. The Mystic Stone Board is the game's nod to character customization, and is basically a...board that you put mystic stones into. What is a mystic stone, you ask? Remember when we picked up that reward from stacking crystals and I was being coy about the mechanic involved--that is a mystic stone.

Placing mystic stones into these slots boosts stats as listed on the stone. Board squares with symbols on them confer extra bonuses if you can get a stone on them.
The arrow, and the line flowing from it is the start point, and you have to be connected to the start point in order for the stones to work, so it turns out to be a nice little board puzzle when you want to get as many stones in as possible while also getting the bonuses.

Each character has their own area on the board with their own starting points.

Personally I like to fill up the board for the character I'm using completely since I don't really switch much in combat, but it's up to you how you want to go about it.

So now that we're done with this tedious as hell segment of the game, let's go back to Parcelyte and deal with Rochy.

: It's really beautiful.

: Wow. It really does look like it's carved from a ruby!

: It was hard to get this color with glass. I'm probably the only one in the world that can make this.

: You really don't mind if we take it?

: Absolutely. You saved my life. It's the least I can do.

: Thanks!

:toot:

We can talk to Jaffy again after this.

: Oh yeah. The professor said I should ask you about the mystic stone board.

: Ah, so Professor Lexis finally finished that! I'm the one who designed the blueprint for it, you know.

: Professor Lexis is the only one who could have built it. Anyway, allow me to explain.

He proceeds to explain exactly what I did earlier.

: As you get more mystic stones, you may want to combine them into more powerful stones. I'll start a mystic stone combining business soon. Stop by some time and check it out.

Considering that we are likely the only customers, calling it a business seems somewhat premature.

---

Mr Rochy's house is to the left here, on the way to the President's quarters.

Hey, it's our buddy from the tutorial!

: Hey, I remember you. Have your wounds healed?

:): Yes, I feel stronger than ever. I'm practicing hard to improve my skills. Maybe next time I meet Gades...

: Well, glad you're feeling better.

:): Well, I never would have made it off that island if you hadn't stopped Gades. I can't thank you enough!

: You really should thank Iris. She was the one who actually chased off Gades.

: Oh, it was nothing.

:): No, it was my life. Thank you very much.
I actually rather like this line.

Oh good lord, why.

: Is it bronze?

: Hahaha! Nothing so common and vulgar. It's pure gold!

: Gold! How much did that cost?!

: Oh, about enough to buy the entire city of Parcelyte, I should think. Hahaha.

: What a waste of money.

: No kidding.

: Y-Yeah. No problem.

: (See? I told you this would be fine!)

: (Shh.)

: Very good! Here's your reward!

That's it!? Jesus man if you have all of that dosh you could at least bankroll our mission or something.

: Only 1000 gold for returning his most precious family treasure? What a cheapskate!

: People don't become rich by throwing away their money recklessly.

: I see. I guess that makes sense.
More commentary on capitalism by Lufia 2 DS.

: I guess next time we should negotiate a price before we take the job.

: Excellent work! I'll certainly hire you again if I need any more help.

: More help? Is it that dangerous around here?

: Well, I've heard strange things about that priest Idura lately.

: Idura?

: He's this town's priest. Ever since Gades appeared, though, he's been acting...odd. Unstable, you might even say.

: I'm just worried he might try to liberate some of my wealth in the name of the church!

: I see.

: That's why I'm glad you're around!

Let's get out of here now that we have our money. gently caress you Rochy I hope you drop the apple and it breaks :(

: Sure, I guess so. And who are you?

????????

: It's Maxim!

: Hey, you're pretty strong, Maxim.

: That means I can really cut loose! HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

???????????????????

: Hey, wait!

: Wait? This is a battle!

:): This is no time to be sparring! Jessy got kidnapped!

: What?! Who took her?!

:): Idura!

: Idura?! That wackjob? Where is he?

:): The Tanbel Abandoned Mine!

: I'm gonna pulverize that priest! Sorry, Maxim, we'll have to finish this later.

: We'll go with you!

: Yeah? Well, she's got a better chance if more of us go to rescue her, right? Think of her safety!

: You got it!

:toot:

Before we leave, it's a very good idea to quickly pop to the store and pick up some antidotes and whatnot. The next dungeon has a lot of enemies that can debilitate you with statuses.

---

: Wow! Are you Dr. Lexis of Elcid by any chance?

: Why? Do you know me?

: Of course. You're the expert on energy cores! Your inventions are super important!

: Wow, Professor, I didn't know you were so famous. In Elcid, everyone just thinks of you as an eccentric weirdo.
Plebs.

: Are you kidding? This guy's a world-famous brainiac! He used to live in Parcelyte, too.

: Is that so, Doc?

: Well, that was a long time ago. Anyway, what's your name?

: Oops, forgot to introduce myself. I'm Guy. I'm really strong.

: And you look it, too! So, why are you joining us?

: Guy's girlfriend has been kidnapped by Idura, so we're going to rescue her.

: There's not time to waste! Where are we heading?

: Tanbel Abandoned Mine!

: Before we leave, Maxim, do you have any antidote potions? There're many monsters in Tanbel Abandoned Mine that are poisonous. Be prepared!
Lexis is on the same page as me.

Next time we'll be heading back into the mines, but rest assured, we are quite, quite done with exciting mine cart action.

SC Bracer fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 23, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Darth TNT posted:

I too would've bargained for a prince.

Oof, I thought I'd caught all the typos this time too.

quote:

He is really too slow. :smith: His hits do a lot of damage, but Maxim is much better.

I have to agree with this assessment. I love Guy in theory but he's so slow that Maxim does the same things he does in half the time. I tried to use him for the boss fight this time because of ~thematic reasons~ but half way through I decided that flailing around with him wasn't working out.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

mauman posted:

His appearance is (to me at least).

Personality wise he's fine.

Dekar's new design owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Well my game has the immensely superior Lexis at least.

• Locked thread