Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The DS Dekar does not look nearly manly enough. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

Well...that's a way to start off your tenure as a party member, Tia. :ughh:

Hopefully, things will get better from here on out with her.

Tia's not great, but as a second warm body she's still welcome -- 1-person parties in RPGs are no fun.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
So Tia's weapon is a suitcase with a beartrap in it? :stare:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Foomy is Foomy.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Name the doggy Smaug.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Shintaro posted:

Smaug, I hope my vote matters.

Blastinus posted:

Anyways, in the interests of putting together the update, I think I'll call the vote with YBURN in all caps as the winner. Not just because it had the majority of the votes but also because it's a good use of the character limits.

:golfclap:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Raitzeno posted:

Preliminary test of the RNG so far: It appears to use the same type of RNG as Fire Emblem. it's "seeded" based on your actions during a turn.

I savestated with the Big Catfish being one hit away from done. Smacking him with a normal attack for the win got me a levelup and no jewel. I reloaded state and defended into the next turn, savestated again. I used a normal attack again, and still didn't get the jewel, but got a different levelup. I reloaded the state and did it a few mroe times, getting the same levelup with the same action each time. Then I defended again. The next turn, the normal attack got me the Jewel and another totally different levelup, and reloading this state and taking that normal attack again yielded the same results. That same savestate, however, gave me a different levelup and no Jewel for finishing it with a Bomb Attack IP!

To be more exact, this is an RNG that only progresses its state when it is invoked. Generally speaking, games either "advance" their RNG once per frame, or once per invocation. Every time something random occurs, like the AI deciding what a unit should do, or a damage calculation (assuming Lufia 2's damage system has randomness, which it appears to), or even sometimes deciding how to animate something, the RNG generates a new random number. TASes of games like Megaman X make use of things like the dust clouds from sliding down walls to manipulate the AI of opponents.

I'd guess that games that do the "once per frame" approach do so because it has a predictable cost -- you aren't going to find yourself with one frame that needs 20 random numbers and suddenly you have to do a lot more calculations than expected. This is more of an issue the older your hardware gets. Of course, such a system isn't perfect -- I still remember one time I was playing Megaman 2 and killed one of those big frog enemies on the same turn it spawned 3 little frogs, and I got four 1-Ups for my trouble :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

Maxim's death is going to be him jumping to save a woman falling down a pit, isn't it? :ohdear:

No big death in glorious battle, just him diving after someone because of a trapdoor/pitfall/bad floor construction.

This thread isn't up to code: Let's Play Lufia 2

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ah, we're talking Final Fantasy IV here. Just before an important boss fight comes up, the main hero suddenly turns all misogynist and tries to get rid of the most useful party members, even though they've proven their worth. At least FFIV subverted it.

To be fair, "Parcelyte needs to be evacuated, and the only person we have that they'll listen to is Selan" is a reasonable reason to send her off. The dialog leading up to that bit is pretty cringeworthy though.

Tia gets packed off because Maxim knows she's utterly out of her depth and he doesn't want to have to keep an eye on her during the fight with a god. Game mechanics-wise this is a stupid decision, but the game mechanics don't have a whole lot to do with the story in this game, alas. No matter how valuable Tia is as a party member, she's consistently shown in cutscenes as being unaware of basic threats and unable to cope with the really nasty stuff.

I mean, FF4 subverted the "leave the women at home" thing a bit, but the motivation behind packing them off was still "This is a Man's Job, you ladies need to get to the kitchen". Lufia II's attitude is more "Selan, I'd love to have you along, but someone has to warn those poor civilians...Tia, you really don't belong on a battlefield, regardless of what's between your legs."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

God, he really does look like he'd fit right in with the cast of a modern FF game, doesn't he? :crossarms:

Hey, at least he's wearing actual clothes. I mean, that shortsleeved lab coat is kind of weird, but otherwise the only obvious "JRPG! :argh:" design aspect is that weird alien tumor on his arm.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I like how as soon as the party has some down time, Guy and Dekar go "Whoops, better let Maxim and Selan have some time alone". Hell, this whole thing since Jeros got kidnapped has probably been like a long-awaited night out for the two; raising a child is tough!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The thing about games is that game logic is cheap; it's the assets (text, music, sounds, and especially artwork) that take up a lot of space. All that the Ancient Cave requires in addition over the base game is the level generation routines and a little extra logic to handle blue chests and remembering your "real" levels vs. your current Ancient Cave levels. That's not that much!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I will say that Maxim complaining about the quality of villain he has to work with is pretty :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dude789 posted:

The FF5 randomizer is fun once or twice, but either FF5 doesn't have enough things to randomize, or the randomizer tends to be weighed in such a way that you'll pick up most of the things you'll need in each run so each time your party ends up pretty similar. If you get far enough you'll probably be able to set up the typical broken FF5 team with dual wielding spell blade users and Mimes with 3 magic sets of your choice.

Solution: play it under Four Job Fiesta rules. You can only ever use one class from each crystal, but you don't know if/when each class will show up...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Now I have to ask, how much time do Speedrunners lose because they have to re-do their run? In my book you don't really beat the Ancient Cave in under an hour if you have to repeat that hour 50 times due to an unlucky highlevel-encounter somewhere between level 80 and 99.

For speedruns, all that matters is the time on the clock of the winning run. That said, I don't get the mindset of the people who are willing to speedrun such RNG-heavy and comparatively lengthy games, where even if you do everything right you have pretty poor odds of getting the result you want. I mean, more power to them, I just don't understand them.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It bugs me that they used "kymograph", which is an actual thing, but refers to a method of presenting data rather than to a method of measuring things. Specifically it refers to methods like those used in a seismograph (those things that measure earthquakes and so on) where one of the axes is time. I'm guessing that the device in question is supposed to be some kind of energy-measuring seismograph and they just chose a technobabblish-sounding word to describe it...but it still bugs me :arghfist: :saddowns:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

I did not know this word. At least Wikipedia has a picture/video that explains a lot:

Hmm-hmm. Certainly.

:stare:

Wikipedia, you really need to cut down on the :catdrugs:

A better image would be something like this (for a seismograph):

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I like to imagine that Battle Anger is just Dekar going all

at his opponents.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Texas Hold'em didn't really enter the public consciousness until well after this game had been released. Back when I was a kid my family would have occasional poker nights (with chips only) and we were basically stuck with Stud, Draw, and a few oddball games like the one where you have to hold your card to your forehead (facing out, and you don't get to look at it) and then bid based on what you see on everyone else's head.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I appreciate that we have different body types in the DS version, at least. They could easily have made everyone have either Basic Male Body Type or Basic Female Body Type, in which case Guy's strong-guy image would have suffered a bit. And let's face it, there's no way Guy wouldn't have gotten the strong-guy image, considering that he was the only main party member (i.e. not counting Dekar) who couldn't use magic in the original.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Pretty sure the "Currents" are supposed to be ancient aquatic dinosaurs, like plesiosaurs.

CHCKN is pretty good, or we could go for irony and use BRAVE.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

Apparently the artists were also not informed of Artea's gender.

Looks kind of like someone was imitating Amano.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blastinus posted:

Name my magic-resistant slinger of wet lightning. Five letters and all that.

MrFsh is a laser fish.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

What was Iris trying to find out with that mirror, anyway? I can't figure it out.

Iris's whole shtick is that she knows the future and is trying to guide things along the right path. Maxim was fated to die previously (against Gades, wasn't it?). Since he didn't, Iris has been flying blind, so she's trying to figure out how Maxim and Selan "fit together" so to speak, to get some idea of how things are going to go.

At least, that's my reading of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Raitzeno posted:

The bird is flying, not standing. Its weight shouldn't count. That's bullshit.

The Mythbusters did a bit on this, didn't they? The downforce from the bird flapping (assuming it's hovering) should be roughly similar to its weight, albeit more broadly-distributed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I dont know posted:

I love that the tank battlesprite has the happy little king in the turret. It kills me every time I see it.

Not only that, he has a tiny flag that he's waving around.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Uh, none of those count. It's all conjecture or fan theories. Or in case of Chrono Trigger, the player intentionally going out of his way to keep the protagonist dead. In Lufia II, both protagonists are killed off for real.

Terranigma, 'nuff said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Also revives you again, doesn't count either. Sorry. I guess killing your protagonists and keeping them dead is really that rare.

Granted that the protagonist in Terranigma dies like three times, the last time he does stay dead. There's fan conjecture that the ending scene is Elle finding him reincarnated again, but if you're not going to count Phantasy Star II as killing off the protagonist because the game doesn't make it explicit, then you don't get to count that as a revival either.

• Locked thread