Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hi, chat thread. I've been playing Oblivion lately. I'm using the AF leveling, Darnified UI, Unofficial Patches and House Map Markers mods. I enjoyed Shivering Isles, which I never played, and will probably like Knights of Nine, once I finish the Dark Brotherhood and can afford to get rid of my infamy. I think after this I might play Morrowind, but I imagine it'd have to be heavily modded for people who started on Oblivion to enjoy it? I dunno. I like the Elder Scrolls games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Morrowind is best TES game to date. I'd recommend you trying it raw in the first hand, if only you may want to look up some graphics conversion mod that would spice up things if you weren't around videogames in general, during Morrowind era. After you play some time and get the hang of vanity feel, I'd recommend to throw in fixes and some balance mod, since magic in Morrowind is hilariously broken and you can OHKO anyone with a lockpick.

Graphics definitely aren't a big deal. I was actually thinking of starting with one of the older games like Arena or Daggerfall at first, because I think they'd be far enough away gameplay-wise that I won't immediately want them to be Oblivion. The no map markers thing is going to drive me nuts, I think, as is the way that quests track. I dunno. Maybe I'll try it with a very basic leveling mod similar to AF.

e: magic being hilariously broken is actually one of the things I liked about Oblivion over Skyrim (which overall I think is a better game). It was just really fun to light people on fire, turn invisible, and watch them walk around burning to death.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

Don't do this. Oblivion only got the wave of leveling mods it did because the experience you'd get per-skill was insanely busted (you'd get the same Restoration experience for a huge 100HP spell that you would for a 1HP one) and the level scaling in the game in general was beyond terrible. Morrowind's is fine as-is.

I'd say get the unofficial patch because it doesn't fix any of the really fun ways the game can be broken, and maybe also the Morrowind Code Patch because it adds a lot of good small things that were half-finished in the source, that you can also pick and choose as you want.

I didn't mind the "make a practice restoration spell and cast it over and over again while you walk" thing (it's super-annoying when it comes to Mercantile and having to sell your items individually, but w/e). AF Leveling just makes it so that attributes level naturally with your skills as they go up, instead of having to pick three skills to gain an amount when you sleep to level. I don't know, maybe I'll fish around on the UESP and play a little and see if I can figure out what I need. I still have like 70 quests to finish in Oblivion before I switch over, anyway.

e: It's this thing (once you get to the bullet points) that bugs me. Maybe it's not as big of a deal in Morrowind as it is in TES IV.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 15, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Unlike in Oblivion, in Morrowind if you level up you can retroactively get the correct multipliers before sleeping by leveling other skills up, and also, there is no level scaling in the game aside from calling to lists of what creature types can be placed where, so it doesn't matter.

Uh okay, so just keep track and wait to sleep until I have the points to sleep. I definitely played Skyrim unmodded, it was only ever Oblivion that felt like it needed something. I'll just try it out and see what I think. I still might start with Arena or something, we'll see how I'm doing after the end of Oblivion, which will inevitably be the Shivering Isles fetch quests. Thanks for the advice, all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm a big moron completionist baby so I will probably eventually play all of the Elder Scroll games, if given all of time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Morrowind is completionist's nightmare.

Oh. Bummer. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

kalstrams posted:

Yo be clear, it's just the amounts of stuff, not something else. Since I'm not a completionist, I find that to be a nightmare.

Oh okay. Amount of stuff I can handle.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The online game is the only one I intend never to play.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I legit didn't know CHIM was an Elder Scrolls term, having only played IV and V, until this thread.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Virtually nobody who played 3 knows it either because it's only for ultra spergs who read in-character posts from developers on forums.

I'm thankful for those people though, because, despite making the mod community embarrassing, they've made it really easy to have an in depth encyclopedia that includes the in-game schedules for like every NPC when I need to find them, and bug fixes for every quest. Thanks, UESP.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every once in awhile my brother and I play Final Fantasy VIII and it is refreshing to see that some guy broke down SeeD rank so much, he can tell you how many steps it takes to get paid and how many monsters you have to kill, and how, to make sure that your ranks stays the same or goes up, all of which are hidden numbers that could not possibly be determined except by somebody who was completely obsessed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I bet all of the games are actually good and that many of you are in fact Grumpy Guses.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Also the books aren't clear on what's a metaphor and what's literally true and what's a bunch of nonsense and stuff, it's not like it just tells you "Well you see CHIM is like console commands..."

That's true of a lot of Oblivion and Skyrim too, but that's the point.

Some people are pretty liberal with the word garbage, I think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't read any of the in-game books in Elder Scrolls, except for the occasional quest diary. Once in a great while I feel like it and just read it on the UESP, where I can read it in actual print.

I did read all of the in-game books in Uru, which I fully admit is a pretty poorly designed game that I just loved anyway. Do not read all the books in the Uru.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Elder Scroll update: I'm getting toward the end of the Oblivion quests but I can't get my Speechcraft score up and I can't find any of the things for the Museum of Oddities. Most of what I have left to do are the scavenger hunt things like finding all the Nirnroot or getting 100 calipers and tongs.

Also, I played a little bit of Arena because I got sick and had to stay in bed with my laptop. It was kind of fun. I got to the first town, which was Windhelm for me, and literally couldn't find my way out of the city.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Problem Sleuth posted:

I just got a wiiu, what games should I get?

hyrule warriors.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I remember when I first got the Wii with Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 and some other stuff I was like "Wow, this is the best console ever!" And then several years later my Wii was unplugged and sitting in a box. I hope the same thing doesn't happen with the Wii U because I am currently having so, so much fun with it.

See, for me, by the time I finish Hyrule Warriors and everything I want to do with Smash Brothers, I might have the opportunity to pick up Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, maybe, and then it's time for the new Zelda game, so actually, I almost hope that the good games slow down, because I need to manufacture hours to get through them all!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Video games have been slowly dying since Intellevision's Night Stalker. The industry, like the game, should have stayed locked in a permanent hellhole with confusing controls and a rapidly accelerating difficulty level which punishes those who don't devote their every hour to the hobby.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you are not traversing a haunted labyrinth in a hungry quest to collect everything within the maze, in a meaningless effort that will merely lead to yet another labyrinth, so you can watch numbers go up and claim that your calloused hands are the best at mashing the buttons and twisting the joystick, you are playing the poo poo generation of games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

While I meant Pac Man, it occurs to me that there are a heck of a lot of games that could use that descriptor, actually.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Sometimes people say "I'm only watching numbers go up" to dismiss video games and I'm like, that is literally the reason why I play them.

I agree completely. The moment when all the numbers reach their climactic high, maxing out at 99, or 100, or 255, induces a feeling of supreme calm and floods me with endorphins. I am not being sarcastic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That moment when you have allowed Don Tonberry to stab you enough times that you have finally sent each and every anime through the Sphere Grid to make each stat 255, with Auto Haste and the other of the finest abilities on your armor, all the lightning bolts dodged, all the butterflies caught. You finally take one last stroll to one-hit KO the meager creatures in the "actual" end dungeon and realize that you have created a race of god kings. It is indescribable.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That moment when you max out all of your skills and attributes and complete all quests, and realize there is nothing left to do but murder each NPC, one at a time, until there is no other living creature in all of Tamriel but you, an Argonian and a mudcrab, whom you force to have philosophical discussions with you about art versus entertainment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

Leveling up is real good

Gamer tip: keep a color coded spreadsheet of your finances and treat surplus money each month/two paychecks/whatever as experience points in your own personal game. Suddenly you become rich both in wallet and in your feelings.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The tablet is a really awesome controller which allows for better aiming, a way to switch items or view the map without pausing, and many other way sick functions in funtastic Ninfriendo games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some features of the tablet: it is big enough that my bird can stand upon it and play games with me, it makes Windwaker feel very smooth and uninterrupted, out of the three devices that play Netflix in my house it has the least garbage interface, it allows for me to tap my amiibos and view the rewards in Hyrule Warriors without even turning off Seinfeld. A great controller for a modern age.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am a video game Ebeneezer Scrooge. All the other peasants are wallowing in desperation, happy to accept a few simple coins for me to spend an evening in their worthless little hovel, while I throw scads of money that could feed most of them for a year at some bug monster just so that my muscles register as literally the strongest on the planet. Hope that I pass you by and want one of your magic orbs, impoverished masses, and maybe you'll eat for a day while I make rupees disappear into my already full wallet here in my Skingrad mansion, where I'm feeding my prize chocobo a weed that's worth more than your entire family.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nice loving town you guys got here. With my SeeD rank, it'd take me approximately one walk through the trees or turning in one of my playing cards to buy the entire thing. Now hand over your meaningless tributes or Quistis will suck you into a black hole that leads to one of those games where you have to make some of the numbers go down to make the others go up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, hey, you guys are complaining about pollution again, even though I built lots of parks and you're almost a Megalopolis now. It would be a shame if there were to be a plane crash near the residential districts, huh? Maybe you want to think about what a nuclear plant meltdown would do for the environment the next time you vote in your little newspaper poll.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i skipped to the end and he's talking about voting with your dollars and i lol'd back here

yup that's where it runs off the rails. The rest of it is good points phrased obnoxiously, but then he proposes a solution at the end and lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

zolthorg posted:

I agreed with you until you said the interface wasn't garbage. It's completely missing the option to turn the drat gamepad off during games and shows without using a secondary pro controller that has a better auto-off.

I specifically said the Netflix interface and I only granted that it was the least garbage of all the other devices, because Netflix is a huge pain in the rear end to run on my smart TV, my DVD player which runs it, and in any browser on a desktop or laptop. Just a clarification.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The Wii U owns and is the best console.

It's also got great games you can play with your friends. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

please enjoy Smash responsibly, with online or real lief friends, and not in a cutthroat tournament environment filled with dangerous strangers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Winning should be its own reward, without the joy of trophies or cheering at some competition. Don't be corrupted by the glitz and glamor of the conventions...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want more Myst games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

are there any text adventure games that are actually clever/fun/recognize lots of commands

the game of life, my friend.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't think I ever beat Deja Vu for the NES. It's not really a text entry game but text entry games often make me think of it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ahundredbux posted:

Hm, which game is the most tedious one, is it dark soles?

Drakkhen for the Super Nintendo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaming journalists eat their bread with the butter side down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

relax.

• Locked thread