Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Fetus Tree posted:

Boo and loving hoo that is irrelevant to this discussion imo. Public data being made more public and arming consumers with knowledge.

idk I think a company having incredibly stupid and counter-intuitive policies that alienate and, frankly, cheat customers sounds extremely relevant to them losing money hand over fist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

runupon cracker posted:

I'm not sure how the airlines think they're going to win this, given the precedence in Ticketmaster vs. Tickets.com. Are there any significant differences that I'm just not seeing here?

Completely different. That case was alleging copyright infringement, which was a really flimsy allegation. Ticketmaster essentially was saying that tickets.com was violating copyright by linking to their site. In this case, the airlines are alleging (and are totally correct in alleging) that this site is encouraging people to violate the terms of the use of these tickets.

I reckon, if there's any defence to be made at all, it will hinge on arguing that said terms are frivolous.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What exactly are the terms? If I buy a ticket I HAVE to use it? Or what?

whatever they are if they are used to try to justify this poo poo they're spurious imo, this is why I don't want to get into contract law

I imagine it varies from airline to airline but they all probably state something to the effect that your final destination must be the place to which you intend to travel. In other words you can't buy a ticket from atlanta to dallas to los angeles if you really just want to go from atlanta to dallas.

but obviously that's unenforceable, as you just pointed out, so it's bullshit

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 1, 2015

• Locked thread