Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fantasy XCOM. Imagine how fun that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Frisk posted:

Jake Solomon needs to release full modding tools so someone can turn XCOM into D&D 4th Edition

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sadly xcom is written in a way that makes adding modding support pretty much infeasible

the only big, gamechanging mod i'm aware of (long war) has involved large amounts of hex editing and experimentation and it changes very little graphically :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I guess maybe OpenXCom could work too? It'd even have that early 90s Gold Box look.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bendigeidfran posted:

I like that the player clans all agreed to not permanently seize each other's territory, making any "user-generated conflict" impossible to get rolling. Even in the worst bare-bones zombie MMOs you can get quality enjoyment out of griefing people and being a murderhobo; PFO doesn't even have that going for it. It's just pitiful.

Forgive my asking, but I don't play PvP/territory taking games so I have to ask: isn't trying to keep the territory you seize a large part of the fun of these types of games? It seems like just letting the other side take the base after a while defeats the whole purpose. Like, if you want to take turns defending something then why don't you play TF2?

There doesn't seem to be anything else to do in-game yet since there aren't any monsters, but still...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
No, see, since all content is player-created, PC wizards will have to level up to the point they can breed their own owlbears to menace lower level characters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

unseenlibrarian posted:

No, see, since all content is player-created, PC wizards will have to level up to the point they can breed their own owlbears to menace lower level characters.

I'm not going to lie. The ability to eventually become a raid boss sounds like it could be fun. And then you'd have players like this.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FMguru posted:

And Paizo/Goblinworks/Dancey has said they will be actively banning organized Goon invasions of PFO
Hahahahaha that is fantastically short-sighted, but not surprising. They love to ban people for Having Fun Wrong on their forums, so of course they'd ban 190,000 people preemptively.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Lord Frisk posted:

Grizzled war veterans shooting down demonic invaders long enough to allow untrained, barely armored exorcists to complete their rituals and seal off a portal to Hell.
Balancing your resources so that, if a werefolf pack starts assaulting people in the Black Forest, Germany, you can afford to arm them with silver bullets.
A dragon and its brood swooping down on Wall Street.

I see the appeal.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Forgive my asking, but I don't play PvP/territory taking games so I have to ask: isn't trying to keep the territory you seize a large part of the fun of these types of games? It seems like just letting the other side take the base after a while defeats the whole purpose. Like, if you want to take turns defending something then why don't you play TF2?

There doesn't seem to be anything else to do in-game yet since there aren't any monsters, but still...

Gazetteer explained the situation pretty well: the clans (in the video, at least) contest useless towers in the middle of nowhere because they've agreed to let each other keep permanent settlements. Which is quaint and awfully nice of the players, but it's undramatic when there's literally nothing else to do. Keep in mind the developers have said outright that they're aiming for an EVE-style territory game where clans actually try to eliminate each other.

If some people have fun with occasional low-intensity PvP and limited buggy PvE then good on them. They could be in it for the social community, and that's valid too. But this is not an example of good design: attacking territory, a primary game mechanic, amounts to waiting until the enemy is AFK and standing still for 40 minutes.

unseenlibrarian posted:

See, this is a good idea. If that tower was stocked with player-arranged Ant Lions and crossbow traps then taking it could actually be fun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

If you look at that stupid video, you'll see that on the right the world map is...actually a hex grid.

And Paizo/Goblinworks/Dancey has said they will be actively banning organized Goon invasions of PFO, which is hilarious on about 17 levels. Pro-actively chucking paying customers off your struggling indie game platform? McCarthy-style witch hunts to determine whether someone is a "goon" or not? But the worst is that it implies that players will have to be very careful to play in a Goldilocks zone - feel free to explore and politic and organize and player-create content to your heart's desire but don't do it in an abusive or exploitative way, or else the banhammer will come down on you. So have fun messing with other players - but not too much fun.

I'm annoyed when I get banned from a free webgame that I've put one or two dozen hours into - I can't imagine how furious I'd be if I had my account closed for shenanigans after spending $5000 on a virtual tavern.

Also, as we all know, people who post on Something Awful are the only people in the world who grief.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, no joke I'd grief the gently caress out of that game. Just make a shared account wizard and wreck people's poo poo all day erry day

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
How is fantasy EVE any way like most PF Adventure Paths?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Illvillainy posted:

How is fantasy EVE any way like most PF Adventure Paths?

It's kinda like Kingmaker, the only good one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
There is a game where you essentially play a raid boss. It's called The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

There is a game where you essentially play a raid boss. It's called The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot.
I actually played this when it first came out; it gets old really quick.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I never played it. I don't like Massively Multiplayer games especially competitive ones.

Also, fantasy X-COM needs to exist.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

Grizzled war veterans shooting down demonic invaders long enough to allow untrained, barely armored exorcists to complete their rituals and seal off a portal to Hell.
Balancing your resources so that, if a werefolf pack starts assaulting people in the Black Forest, Germany, you can afford to arm them with silver bullets.
A dragon and its brood swooping down on Wall Street.

I see the appeal.

So basically a non-sucky Hellgate:London? :getin:

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 28, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Error 404 posted:

A non-sucky Hellgate: London would be a wonderful thing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Night10194 posted:

A non-sucky Hellgate: London would be a wonderful thing.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm 120% on-board with this idea.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Boss Monster is pretty good, if a level or two below on the complexity level.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

Dragonlance had Solamnia.

Forgotten Realms had Silverymoon.

Even Pathfinder has Andora, a pseudo-American bastion of freedom which had an angel as one of its founders.

Heavenly good nations are nothing new, folks. It's not even romantic fantasy, it's in normal fantasy too.

The better example in the Realms is actually Cormyr, because the Obarskyrs were chosen by the Purple Dragon and the elves of Cormanthyr to be good rulers of the kingdom. That didn't always work (cf the ghazneths) but it's better than a lot of other things.

Silverymoon is a magocracy arising from religion. Ecamane Truesilver created the city-state (through his mage tower at Silverymoon) from guidance given to him by several goddesses (in what is likely an echo of the founding of the Harpers at Twilight, considering the common ties to Myth Drannor) and Silverymoon's mythal and draconic protectors stem from that as well. It's notable that the founding of Luruar required Alustriel to abdicate in 1370 DR; she could not serve as head of state and also First Mage. Very distinct things.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I can't speak for the last one but Solamnia is in what may as well be a constant state of being corrupted and Silverymoon seems to consistently fall behind the Sword Coast, the land of gritty amoral mercenaries who prove all that matters is being strong enough to take what you want. Grogs want a world where everyone is as cynical and jaded as they are. Blue Rose was literally too beautiful for them.

Not really. Silverymoon is strong just in different ways; Luruar was a political triumph that Piergeron Paladinson had been trying to create for years through the Lords' Alliance, for example. What is true is that Waterdeep (and in the 1400s, Baldur's Gate), Irieabor, etc, are stronger economically than Silverymoon, but they're more geographically centered and have several other advantages with their landscapes. However, Silverymoon has several advantages over Waterdeep - it's stronger culturally (a rough ranking is Silverymoon > Neverwinter > Waterdeep), has arguably better magics (Waterdeep has more but they are often at cross-purposes and split among several enemies, such as Maaril having the Dragonstaff), and produces far more raw materials and is more self-reliant. A not uncommon plotline has been how interdependent the cities of the Sword Coast are. If you burn Goldenfields, Waterdeep starves. If you cut off ore from Nashkel, you can't get a good weapon south of Baldur's Gate.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 28, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, I'm putting together a semi-historical Age of Pirates game using Hillfolk for my next tabletop game, and thought I'd see if there were any good RPG resources people know about! There's GURPS Swashbucklers, obviously, but any others? Mind, I'm not looking for fantasy swashbuckling like 7th Sea, but actual treatments of the historical era.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I didn't mean Silverymoon falls behind in in-setting power, I mean that it tends to fall behind in popularity. Sword Coast is the most popular part of FR that I've seen in games (both video and ttg), and even outside of the Sword Coast FR games that I've seen tend to really play up the mercenaries lookin' for gold and adventure aspect.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, I'm putting together a semi-historical Age of Pirates game using Hillfolk for my next tabletop game, and thought I'd see if there were any good RPG resources people know about! There's GURPS Swashbucklers, obviously, but any others? Mind, I'm not looking for fantasy swashbuckling like 7th Sea, but actual treatments of the historical era.

I'm fond of the Pirates of the Spanish Main book for Savage Worlds, it's out of print, but available as a PDF. It tends toward a more a treatment of pirates in the vein of historical fiction than a serious approach, but I've gotten a lot of use out of it. It is very focused on the Caribbean though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

The better example in the Realms is actually Cormyr, because the Obarskyrs were chosen by the Purple Dragon and the elves of Cormanthyr to be good rulers of the kingdom. That didn't always work (cf the ghazneths) but it's better than a lot of other things.

You just set off an old memory for me. I read Death of the Dragon back in high school and it was the most incredible thing at the time. Azoun IV fighting a dragon and Vangerdahast doing all sorts of poo poo and the Queen and the daughter (gosh I forget their names now) trying to pull the kingdom together and mass combat and political intrigue. I've got to track down a copy and reread that now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Error 404 posted:

The current version is actually fun and less frustrating.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

You just set off an old memory for me. I read Death of the Dragon back in high school and it was the most incredible thing at the time. Azoun IV fighting a dragon and Vangerdahast doing all sorts of poo poo and the Queen and the daughter (gosh I forget their names now) trying to pull the kingdom together and mass combat and political intrigue. I've got to track down a copy and reread that now.

It's a great book. If you're not aware, it's actually the third part of a trilogy, after Cormyr: A Novel and Beyond the High Road. Cormyr is very worth reading; Beyond the High Road less so. Additionally, Elminster's Daughter shows the repercussions of the events in Death of a Dragon - how Alusair fares as the Steel Regent, her relationship with Caladnei the Court Wizard, what happens to Vangerdahast and so on.

The queen as of Death is Filfaeril; her daughters are the Steel Princess Alusair and Crown Princess Tanalasta.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Is she the same woman who gave John Wick that lap dance and made him promise to be true to his now ex-wife or however that story goes?

Wait, what was this?

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Isn't Massive Chalice kind of like a fantasy X-Com?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is but it's overall design is rather nonstandard so it turns off grogs.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Error 404 posted:

A couple of my friends got lifetime subscriptions to that game. I think they played it almost 6 months, meaning they only paid a little over twice as much per month than anyone else!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Don't tempt me to reinstall it...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

How so? What is the current version? I thought that game died.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

How so? What is the current version? I thought that game died.

http://hellgate.t3fun.com/Home/Home.aspx

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Well I'll be damned, catch you fuckers on the flip side...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, is this a patch or a new standalone?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Falstaff posted:

Wait, what was this?

It was a story related to his pet character in L5R and I think it was in the write-up on Play Dirty or one of the write-ups on early L5R. I can't find it at the moment, on my phone, but somebody probably knows it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I didn't mean Silverymoon falls behind in in-setting power, I mean that it tends to fall behind in popularity. Sword Coast is the most popular part of FR that I've seen in games (both video and ttg), and even outside of the Sword Coast FR games that I've seen tend to really play up the mercenaries lookin' for gold and adventure aspect.

I think that's just because "you're mercenaries, you take jobs" is about the easiest way of jamming together a bunch of disparate characters(money and power can contribute to a bunch of different motivations that people want to accomplish, mercenaries travel so they don't need to be from the same part of the world, etc.) and giving them an excuse not to be tied down to one specific area. More than anything else I think it's just because it's an easy starting point, it's functional, and some groups, especially just starting out, like to just jump right into the game, rather than working out something more complex or character involving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I think the Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anarouch trio of gamebooks for 3.5 were really fun all the way up until Act 2 of Anarouch fucks the entire party and everyone quits. I really like Cormyr and the Dalelands, but aside from a few novels there's really not much one them. It's not like they're so different and wondrous that most people can tell Daggerdale from Shadowdale from Featherdale. Oh, and Chondath was neat, too, I guess. We had a campaign set there once that was pretty interesting.

• Locked thread