Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I looked and couldn't find the 'help me pick a game!' thread, so:

Help me pick a game!

I'm in an odd situation. I've moved to Washington recently but I still do Skype gaming with my group in Colorado, and we're currently playing a 5th edition game. Unfortunately, the DM for said game is going to be out of town this Sunday, and they asked if I wanted to run a game (apparently over Skype), which sounds like an interesting experiment. They're all going to be around a table in person with a voice coming from the computer.

Bonus complication: I'm moving to a new apartment soon, and I've recently packed all of my stuff. Pretty much every single RPG book I own is now packed up.

As such, I'm looking for a quick game, and especially looking for a quick game that I can acquired for the low, low price of absolutely free. It's best if the characters are quickly generated or come pre-generated, because this is just going to be a one-shot. I'm cool with sort of out-there games, fine with .pdfs (kind of prefer it, given the circumstances), but really dislike most of my experiences with the *World line so I'm planning to stay away from those. Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

The first game that springs to mind based on what you're looking for...free, comes with pregen characters, made for a one-shot, kind of out there...is Lady Blackbird.

Also where are you in Washington, if that's not too personal a question?

We originally moved to Renton, but we're moving to Kirkland at the end of the month. Found a very nice apartment up there.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Ah okay, I'm several hours south of you then.

Well, if you're going to Emerald City Comic Con, I'm going to be there, so maybe we could get in a game or something.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Reene posted:

The staff would probably back me up if I complained but I'm afraid of becoming known as the girl that can't take a joke/compliment/whatever and it's just a lovely situation all around.

I really like the store, most of the people are very rad and I've been doing FNM there for ages, but yeah.

No, see, that's the thing. You've got this feeling of "oh no, what if I hurt his feelings? And what if everyone else hates me for it." In this particular situation, everyone that isn't you can gently caress off. Is that guy you? No? Then he can eat poo poo. You don't get to care about his feelings or your reputation at this (lovely sounding) game store, because apparently that's going to keep you from actually doing what needs doing.

So the next time he approaches you, texts you, etc., just be forthright about it. "I am not interested in you. There might be some underlying feeling that I'm 'friendzoning' you or playing hard to get or something, but I'm not. I am not interested, and I will not be interested at some point in the future. Stop (note, 'stop,' not 'please stop,') touching me, stop trying to invite me to slumber parties, and stop trying to date me. If you want to be friends and play games? Sure, that sounds fun. But you may not touch me and I'm tired of being asked out." And honestly, if it were me I wouldn't even leave in the line about 'if you want to be friends, etc.' in there, because that glimmer of hope might keep him being a creeper.

Guys like you are describing are socially retarded and being subtle will not work here. If you go through one of the store clerks, if they even give a poo poo (because it kind of sounds like they don't), it's going to be blamed on you, and if you go through a friend/buddy it's going to end up as a big thing of "why not let her talk for herself?" Yeah, he's feelings are going to get hurt, but so the gently caress what? Is he you? No? Then gently caress him. Care about yourself and your own boundries in this really creepy instance because this guy definitely doesn't.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

What Renee is talking about isn't "oh no what if I hurt his feelings," it's "what if I make a legitimate complaint and then get blackballed as The Girl Who's Always Trying to Make a Big Deal About Stuff, Why Can't She Just Take a Joke (That Bitch)." To you the situation might seem black and white, cut and dried, this guy's a jerk so complain about it or tell him to gently caress off, but in a fair number of cases like this the person being made to feel uncomfortable is stuck between a rock and a hard place because deserved or not, raising a complaint about this kind of lovely behavior can (and has) led to the exact opposite desired result.

Or in other words:

So maybe Renee feels more comfortable just going "gently caress it, rather than deal with any of this bullshit I'm just going to excise myself from the situation entirely." Which might mean not going back to that game store, which sucks, but that's why it's called a lovely situation.

This doesn't just happen in casual social contexts either, it can (and does) happen in professional workplace environments where it sucks even more because someone raising a complaint about, say, sexual harassment can find themselves being frozen out of advancement opportunities, blackballed in their field, or even let go on spurious pretexts and while legal recourse is always possible it's A). costly, B). time consuming, and C). not guaranteed to work in your favor, so there's frequently tremendous pressure to just keep your head down and suck it up because unlike the LGS you can't just go "well fine, then I won't work here anymore."

I got what she was saying, but I guess Zurui's anecdote drove home the truth of it. Honestly, I've been pretty blessed to have only encountered really awesome game stores before, and that's the kind of poo poo that wouldn't fly at any of them. Most good owners will want to make sure the environment is as friendly as possible, and most good players will want the woman who just want to play around (and, bar logic here, maybe invite a few other girls) than the fat poo poo in the sweat pants. Thankfully, any time I've seen situations similar to Reene's, it's always gone badly for the creep, not the victim.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Is there a thread that collects links to all of the RPG/game podcasts anywhere on the forums? I think that'd be a cool thing to have. If there isn't one, I can make it, but I tend to do that and come to find there already was one and I just didn't look in the right spot.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I think the Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anarouch trio of gamebooks for 3.5 were really fun all the way up until Act 2 of Anarouch fucks the entire party and everyone quits. I really like Cormyr and the Dalelands, but aside from a few novels there's really not much one them. It's not like they're so different and wondrous that most people can tell Daggerdale from Shadowdale from Featherdale. Oh, and Chondath was neat, too, I guess. We had a campaign set there once that was pretty interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Libertad! posted:

Why, how did the adventure screw up there?

As the players get farther into the desert toward the city of Shade, they enter a place where normal magic no longer works, only Shadow Magic. So suddenly, there's no spells, no SLAs, no magic items. The only way you have any of those is if you're a Shadow Magic user yourself (which you likely aren't, because you wouldn't be trying to stop the spread if you were).

Per the rules about non-Shadow people using Shadow Magic, you either straight up can't activate Shadow Magic items or you take Wisdom damage each time do.

Immediately upon entering the Shadow Magic area the rulers of the city of Shade start sending strike teams of level fourteen wizards mounted on two-headed acid dragons after your group. The tactics specifically mention how they wizards just stay at range loving with the party and trying to kill them. The monsters also have DR, which, without any magic items, you probably can't beat.

Basically, if you actually do it as it suggests, it's annoying and kind of unbeatable. Our DM did it as it was written (he's big on that) and after our second wipe against the Dragon riders we said gently caress it and didn't play anymore.

• Locked thread