Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure that in 2015, story games are available in every corner drugstore, but in 1985, they're a little hard to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

I know this was written in the 1960s before a lot of the research came out, but this and Wolfenstein: The New Order keep making me wonder--how the devil do the authors of these sorts of "Fascism Wins!" alternate histories have the Axis Powers win without straight up flipping the U.S. to their side? I mean, starting from the European side, the USSR was flipping huge in territory, resources, and manpower, and Operation Sealion was never going to pan out thanks to Kriegsmarine weakness and the inability of the Luftwaffe to make any sort of headway securing air dominance. And even if we magically teleport Fallshirmjaegers onto British soil, they'd have to deal with big portions of the government and high ranking military being evacuated to Canada, an invasion of which from continental Europe would only magnify the Sealion issue even further. And in the Pacific, the Japanese government was hilariously dysfunctional, its equipment was outdated and rickety (look at its machine guns and pistols! Never mind its heavier guns, its fighters, its "tanks"...), its doctrine seemed to emphasize brutality and zeal over actual military effectiveness, and that's not even getting into its own resource woes. There's a reason the Japanese war machine largely switched over to the defensive about 6-8 months after the Pearl Harbor attack. And let's not get into the :lol: that is the Italian military, they of Operation Compass and the botched invasion of Greece. I know this is me overthinking this but...how? And why, for that matter?

This is why Fatherland is the best alternate history book with the premise, "What if the Nazis won?" D-Day fails, Britain falls but the government flees to Canada, Japan loses to the US, and fascist Europe is fighting a constant war with the the Soviets who have been pushed to the Urals. It's pretty much a Cold War between the democratic and fascist blocs with cracks beginning to appear in the Nazi regime and President Joe Kennedy, JFK's father, embarking on a mission of detente with the Nazis.

EDIT: If anyone is interested in it, it's not a Turtledove-esque venture where all these historical figures are the key characters. It's a novel involving a German police officer investigating the deaths of high ranking Nazi officials and a conspiracy that could end the Nazi regime.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 17, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading through Designers and Dragons at the moment and the 70's reads like an E! True Hollywood Story episode. When I read about people having a meteoric rise to success like that I just expect them to crash, which I guess they do to a degree. I wish they had pictures of half the people though because I really had no idea what Dave Arneson looked look until I looked him up, he's the bastard child of Gary Gygax and Larry Elmore.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Let me just remind everyone that this is an event that had to be held at Gencon.

I'm still unsure how this needed to be a mediated discussion.

I do get a chuckle out of the fact the Cosplay Deviants sponsored the panel. So the creepy nerds that just listened to a seminar about respecting the boundaries of cosplayers can go and buy nudes of them in the vendor hall.

Wasn't this a movement at all the conventions, not just a Gencon thing? I remember seeing some stuff about this online not related to Gencon and some cosplayer friends were telling me about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

I find myself doubting the veracity of this man's story.

I mean, I don't know why, but it's just as though there's something faintly unbelievable about hordes of women charging up to a bunch of unshaven nerds and begging to have their breasts groped.

As torn from the pages of fanfiction.net.

DalaranJ posted:

Ha ha ha, I completely forgot about this, and the fact that that douchebag's nickname was "the ferret".

The Pauly Shore of Gaming.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There's actually one super sexually liberal woman who goes around making all these stories that literally have always been spread around as if they're real things people do, like Johnny Appleseed, Jenny Wankyseed I guess.

Is she the same woman who gave John Wick that lap dance and made him promise to be true to his now ex-wife or however that story goes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Falstaff posted:

Wait, what was this?

It was a story related to his pet character in L5R and I think it was in the write-up on Play Dirty or one of the write-ups on early L5R. I can't find it at the moment, on my phone, but somebody probably knows it.

• Locked thread