Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lightning Lord posted:

That's a bit of an overstatement, unless you're saying specifically don't play 5e, which is a position I agree with but I've seen a lot of "Don't play any permutation of D&D because Dungeon World" posts out in the wild.
No he's actually right. There are so many permutations of D&D that honestly 5e is the Johnny come lately of so many other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Lightning Lord posted:

I think you read my post backwards.
Yeah I agree with you. Im kind of sick right now and didn't completely understand what you wrote.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

So I was talking with my buddy the other day and the subject of what an Appendix N for people just starting fantasy gaming today would look like.
Honestly, I would just chuck the entire concept into the garbage. I think that most forms of fiction benefit from a wide berth of ideas and just to limit it to a single genre stifles creativity.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Appendix N was never that useful other than as a reference for the fantasy Gygax & Co. liked, it's not like D&D properly represents the grand majority of the fantasy it references.
I just double checked the passage and it is definitely supposed to be a source of inspiration which in defense to Gygax & Co. doesn't mean flat out imitate.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

P.d0t posted:

Isn't this basically the same thing that happened with the Diablo and Warcraft games?

d20 :allears:
Except its not a d20 game????????

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Libertad! posted:

Significantly, no, although he once addressed concerns about the rape in a conversation with Anna Kreider last I remember.

From Adept Press' description, it seems to focus more on the "dung ages" interpretation of the Middle Ages, where there were no centers of learning, large governments with social structures, or even knights or nobles. It seems to be going for the most technologically primitive reigns of medieval times and making it a universal standard.

It could potentially be an interesting setting, what with the conflict between two magical traditions and the PCs belonging to a special order who can manipulate both, but the pitched setting sounds kind of lacking in variety to me.
You know for a guy who pontificates endlessly about creating stories he sure knows how to pick the most boring story premise ever.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

They have a women in gaming panel without a single woman actually on the panel and have to go out to recruit one.
I read that as not being to get someone who works for a gaming company which is an entirely different proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Talkc posted:

Im in an awkward dillema with my superhero campaign. Ive sorta fallen into a trap of making too many characters, without a lot of substance to them. To top it off, i have a bad head for FATE Core. So ive been trying to come up with superhero type things that would work for the campaign, but when it actually comes to the mechanics i pretty much fumble them.

Its not the fact that you introduced too many characters more than the fact that you are trying to juggle too many characters at once in a session. Its something I don't even like to do because I feel really dumb talking as multiple NPCs at once. And I wouldn't worry about screwing up the mechanics too much . As long as you don't go on tilt that one day I actually got frustrated at the dice rolls.

moths posted:

You're lucky it's a supers game! Because this actually happens with superhero comics, and that's when titles get cancelled. You can either play it as a meta joke about staff-cuts at Whattacomic Publishing, or tell your players that they're starting the New Infinite Secret Crisis Wars Invasion arc and start piling up the bodies.
Noooo..... That is going to get my character killed somehow. I know it. :saddowns:
EDIT:
Im not saying that Talkc is that type of DM. Im just that inept.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread