Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Blue Rose actually came before True20- it getting turned into a generic system is at least partly down to "Goddamn, if we release this as a generic system maybe Nisarg/Pundit will shut the gently caress up already." (As at the time he was constantly flooding the Blue Rose boards with bitching about romantic fantasy tropes and how it should have been a generic system without the built in setting) Which shows they didn't know him very well, as releasing a generic version just made him insufferable "I was right" forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
...I think I may have just accidentally caused a bunch of people to go buy Blue Rose, oops.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Basically it's Oops because it was not an intended consequence of my action! That "They should make a D&D for girls" "D&D is D&D for girls" thing crossed my eyeline one too many times and I posted a small rant about Blue Rose and how people were super-pissy about it not being explicitly marketed to dudes.

And then the rant got reposted by a mid-list urban fantasy writer. And then I kept getting notifications of other people responding to it, often some variation of, "Oh wow I'd never heard of this, oh, they still sell it on their site. I'll have to check it out!"

And I had not had coffee yet when I posted that.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, I know; he was doing much the same thing in a thread by Ron Edwards a couple of days ago. I just wanted to see how his rants go over in non-gaming circles.

He does not seem to have noticed, which is probably the best for my blood pressure.

Also for a serious answer to what is Blue Rose: It was an RPG based on a very stripped down version of D20 (That later became True20)- the idea being 'simple game to play in the romantic fantasy genre, since it's not a genre that's really common at all in RPGs," (Romantic fantasy being defined here as "Map fantasy written mostly for young girls": Lackey's Valdemar stuff, Tamora Pierce's Tortall stuff, etc.) So they made a setting suited for the genre, with general idea being that you'd be the wandering troubleshooters for the heroic progressive kingdom, bounded on one side by an evil sorcerer kingdom and on the other by an intolerant theocracy, etc, with talking animals running around.

And people (Especially Nisarg/Pundit/Tarnowski) lost their loving minds.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Supposedly people are already playing and if you're willing to spend 100 bucks you too can buy into early-early access and have more XP than anyone else will ever have because that's not a terrible idea for an open world PVP game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

No, see, since all content is player-created, PC wizards will have to level up to the point they can breed their own owlbears to menace lower level characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Arivia posted:

If you want an area of the Realms with almost nothing to it, how about Sembia? No updates besides novels and some references in gaming products, ever.

To be fair, wasn't Sembia originally supposed to be the equivalent of Glorantha's "Blank lands" where you can basically make up whatever you want for your campaign?

• Locked thread