Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Some of you might remember this from a chat thread a couple of months back, but I recently started working at an elementary school and as a part of my job I'm running an RPG club for some of the first and second-graders. We just finished a series of adventures about Santa Claus having called in sick for the first time in many centuries and our intrepid heroes having to help him save Christmas. With the Spring term starting I decided to ask the kids for input on what they'd like to play next. I took some ideas from the kids and in the end the winning choice was Plush World, i.e. a world inhabited by all kinds of plush toys. I then started fleshing out the setting with the kids.

ME: Okay, so what sorts of threats are there in Plush World?
KID #1: Evil plastic robots that hate all things soft and plushy!
KID #2: Yeah, and they want to turn all the plushies into robots like them!
ME: Okay, that's some good stuff! So I take it the plastic robots have recently kidnapped some plushies and you're out to save them before they're turned into robots too. Question: should a plushie get turned into a robot, is there any way to still save them?
KID #3: Yeah, if the robot remembers you from when they were still a plushie, you can use Cuteness (one of the stats we're using in this game) to transform them back into plushies!
KID #4: Yeah, and all the robots have screens on their stomachs from which you can see their original form! If it's a picture of a robot it means they were a robot made in a factory and if it's a plushie you know they used to be a plushie!

I told the kids that they could each bring a small plush toy to the club next week to use as their characters, and the kids are already abuzz with excitement thinking which plushies they want to bring. These kids are great. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, one of the kids from my RPG club came to me today telling me his parents had gotten him Myrskyn sankarit (a Finnish RPG aimed specifically at kids that's sold in pretty much all the toy stores in Finland) for his birthday. Supposedly he'd told his parents how much he'd enjoyed playing elfgames at my club and they thought he might like the game.

My plan to turn these kids into the next generation of Finnish RPG geeks is working perfectly. :getin:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So I did a google search for it and turned up this picture:

Is that a weasel with a mustache? Tell me more about this game. :allears:

I'm not intimately familiar with the game and thus don't know what role the mustached weaselguy plays in the game, but here's a short synopsis: the game is pretty much a simple fantasy RPG aimed especially at kids. It's set in a fairy tale-like fantasy setting (which would explain the above dapper individual) where there's an evil empire and the players play members of a rebellion against the evil emperor.

The game was originally crowdfunded, and apparently there was another campaign to release it in English. If you're looking for more information on it, I suggest checking out the page for the IndieGoGo campaign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/age-of-the-tempest-roleplaying-for-kids-and-beginners

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

Bluh, not feeling Fate either.

Just had a dumb idea of doing a DnD campaign set in superficially fantasy world that's actually a ruined worldship in space Arthur Clark'd with high-tech artifacts and nanotechnology for spells. Or Might and Magic, basically.

This is a pretty awesome idea. If you're not averse to old-school games, run it with Labyrinth Lord. The art-free version is free and it's got a sister game called Mutant Future which is basically a Gamma World clone. You can easily run the campaign using Labyrinth Lord to give it a superficially fantasy appearance and then throw gadgets from Mutant Future as loot as "ancient artifacts."

poo poo, now I want to run this game.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

TurninTrix posted:

If you do run that, I'm game.

Gonna read these either way, thanks!

I'll definitely consider it and if I do you're in (ditto Kai Tave) but truth be told I've got all kinds of poo poo going on IRL that would hinder my posting in a PbP actively. Once things normalize a bit I'll get back to you.

Edit: But yeah, dwarves and elves with laser guns and vibro axes is definitely my poo poo.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

There's also Dying Earth and Shannara. The former is our world in the not too distant future where humans have unlocked reality hacking through memorizing mathematical formulae (i.e. Vancian magic) and the latter is our world in the not too distant future centuries after a nuclear war wiped out all of human society which has now been rebuilt in a medieval feudal style and also there's magic and elves and poo poo.

On the video game side we've got Phantasy Star and the aforementioned Might & Magic series. Hell, even early D&D flirted with science fantasy with Expedition to Barrier Peaks and poo poo. The idea that a by-the-numbers fantasy setting could just be a sci-fi setting where the locals can't tell the difference between super science and magic isn't all that novel.

Another example comes to mind: even though GW keeps Warhammer Fantasy and 40k pretty much separated fluffwise these days, at one point you could easily read Warhammer Fantasy being just another planet in the 40k universe where the influence of Chaos has resulted in a world that looks like a traditional fantasy setting.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Beyond the great suggestions already made, take a look at Metamorphosis Alpha. It just has a dash of science fantasy but it's cool because it's indeed a worldship. Also, the CRPG series Wizardry is in that style of 80s science fantasy as well.

That's a bit of an overstatement, unless you're saying specifically don't play 5e, which is a position I agree with but I've seen a lot of "Don't play D&D because Dungeon World" posts out in the wild.

Oh yeah, Wizardry, that's another one I forgot!

And yeah, even as a fan of DW I don't see it as a panacea to all the problems people might have with D&D. It's good for satisfying a type of playstyle some people (myself included) might want out of D&D, but because D&D is such an amorphous game there's no single playstyle you can identify as being the D&D playstyle. To some it means fantasy Vietnam where you have to earn your fun, to some it's about tactical squad-based combat but with elves and dwarves, and different editions of the game satisfy different playstyles. The strength of DW comes from the fact that it satisfies a playstyle (at least to me) that almost no edition of D&D is really built for, which is quick play with lots of room for emergent narrative and improvisation.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

Read Rat Queens. You don't need anything else.

Rat Queens is my personal Appendix N. Okay, that and Adventure Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

This is now my favorite thing ever.

• Locked thread