Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm resolving to get my health in check. I don't just mean losing weight, but some other poo poo too.

Also, I'm resolving to get more stuff done and not end this year glad that it's over.

Edit: Waffleman, you never saw the Back to the Future movies? That should be illegal. Dude, go watch them. Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TurninTrix posted:

Hello, what's the cool new DnD-like out there? I'm getting a little weary of Dungeon World.

It most closely resembles 3.5, but with a lot less math thanks to the advantage/disadvantage (roll 2d20, take better/worst) replacing +X modifiers for most things. Caster supremacy is in full effect. Martials do not get cool things and the ones they do are kind of screwed by encounter powers being replaced with "per quick rest" powers since quick rests now take an hour. The math is pretty wonky, but number stays low. Combat is fast, but can get long at high levels. Save or dies are back. Rules are at an odd middle ground between abstract and exact.

All in all, it's ok, but just suffers a bit from a "been there, done that" perspective and not matching most goons (myself included) playstyle.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's worth nothing the Dragon Age RPG is not a d20 game, it uses 3d6.

Funny enough, I've been getting into Will Wheaton's show, Tabletop, and I recently watched the Dragon Age RPG episode. In the interview with the game dev, the dev admitted that Bioware had the trpg in production before the game was finished and they didn't get to play the game itself until the trpg was going into layouts. They were also told by Bioware that commissioning a trpg because the concept was fitting with "the old school style" of the video game they were making. It feels to me these two factors had a lot to do with how the game turned out.

The one's commissioning the product apparently used the term "old school style" to describe the video game and their idea behind commissioning a trpg and they didn't get to work off anything other than documents until release.

The fact it was a commissioned piece probably has something to do with it too. If you make something too experimental, they might question your decision to make the product "risky." Doing something plain, boring, and "traditional" is going to be viewed by the commissioner as the safer option and the one they are more likely to be pleased by. Obviously, you can't be too generic or you run the risk of being too safe and annoying them that way, but DA:TRPG does seem to try to diverge enough and, at the same time, not too much from tradition.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Illvillainy posted:

Also, mechanics for telling fellow party members to not be so whiny and have a foursome with you. Wait a munite, what DA needs is badly thought out PbtA rules!

It might as well have them considering its sister series, Mass Effect, has a set of its own.

Sionak posted:

While I haven't actually played the Dragon Age RPG, I am not sure that it is the face of everything wrong with the RPG industry.

I went to a panel on the Dragon Age RPG at GenCon last year. While they had some odd views that they defended a lot (no equivalent to a challenge rating system in the books) it seemed like the tie-in with Bioware hadn't been the easiest thing to work with.

So, while presumably some of the Bioware team understands how tabletop RPGs work, other people they were working with did not. The example given was talking to an art director about Abominations; the art director sent Green Ronin some pictures and said, "This is what Abominations look like." And GR says, "Okay, this is what they look like in the game, but what if the Abominations looked different and had different stats [in the RPG] based on what kind of demon was involved?" and the art director says, "No... we sent you what they look like already."

Green Ronin also mentioned that they can't put anything out about Thedas that hasn't been approved by Bioware and that they can't spoil stuff ahead of the games, so sections on Tevinter got held up, holding up one of the box sets. Basically, it sounded like the license is not the license to print money you might expect it to be.

This confirms my suspicions a tad when they said "we were given documents to work off of and didn't get to play the game until our own was in layouts." When I heard that, even though the episode of Tabeltop was good, I knew I would never buy the thing. It just suggests a very divorced design process where they were getting kept in the dark. Not that they're innocent in all of this and there is no telling how much information they were given and, hell, it being a retroclone vanity project of a dev is still very possible, but it just all suggests to me that this liscense was not easy to make a viable product for.

Edit: I think the main issue a game like Dragon Age or Mass Effect would have being ported to a trpg is that both games have an engaging, interactive stories with mechanics to support them and very tactical combat that rewards player skill and ability. Being video games, a lot of the bookkeeping and heavy lifting of trying to accommodate both elements can be handled by a computer and the speed of things can be handled effectively in both regards due to the direct control the devs have over scenarios. I'm not saying it's impossible in TRPGS, but it is much harder and a lot of things don't cleanly port over from one medium to the other.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 16, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I've seen a few AW hacks for Mass Effect, but this is by far the best and most complete.

It is pretty great, but I wish Geth, Hanar, and Elcor were playable. I can understand skipping Protheans, Levithans, and Yahgs as they are few in number, not a part of galactic civilization, and would draw too much attention and be general Mary Sues, but the others were disappointing exclusions.

mllaneza posted:

There is also a FATE hack based on Diaspora. It's really good and absolutely nails all the characters from the series when it stats them out.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ytztnyj4zjn

I have Diaspora from an old Bundle Of Holding. Is it any good? Because I'm interested in playing this Hack now.

Covok fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 17, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Reene posted:

For the past month or so I've been fending off a dude that has no sense of when it is and isn't okay to touch somebody. Like he'll walk up behind me and hug me or pat my head and poo poo. He also doesn't appear to bathe/groom much, wears sweatpants, and is a brony.

Last Friday I struck up a convo with a guy who seemed cool and said I should give me his number so he could let me know when some shows were going to be playing in his neighborhood. I should have spotted this flimsy pretext but several days, many texts inviting me to "pajama parties" and a phone call later the dude is terminally not understanding that I don't want to have sex with him and indeed would very much like to be left alone.

I just wanted to make friends :negative:

That sounds like absolute rear end. Block that f*cker's text and tell him to take a hike! Sorry, I know that's easier said than done and sometimes avoidance is better depending on the circumstances, but I had to say that.

I also feel inclined to say "no gaming is better than bad gaming." If people are making you uncomfortable and you're not having fun, it's better to not go to that LGS. If it's just a few people spoiling the stew, I'd suggest setting boundaries with these guys and hoping your friends there can help out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I've seen a few AW hacks for Mass Effect, but this is by far the best and most complete.

Actually got some people down to play this this week when my DM bailed. I enjoyed it, but I feel I was the only one because the other two players never did Mass Effect: it was only me and our GM who knew the universe.

I was the first Vorcha spectre who had a Turian handler and a Volus for talky things. We had a Quarian, but she bailed on us due to real life. It almost became Monster Hearts b/c I initially joked about setting one of my Hx as a love one and that set off a chain reaction where everyone loved each other: never came up in play though. Ended up getting infected by the reapers because the Turian didn't think opening a box we were told to handle by the citadel was a bad idea. Then the Volus tried to sell us to the Geth, but, instead, got C-Sec trying to kill us all. Too bad, the game died there b/c it was just getting good especially because I was willingly letting the Reapers guide me to give me an edge (like security codes).

Edit: By the way, Vorchas, in-fiction, are actually really cool. Like, if they lived longer than 20 years, they would probably be a serious threat at the same level of Krogans.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

They're not getting a cent of my money until they officially support Ponyfinder. :colbert:

I'm sure there is a horrible MLP MMO out there that will suit your demented needs.

Edit: God, I hate when I'm right! It might actually look less rear end than PFO.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 27, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

There is a game where you essentially play a raid boss. It's called The Mighty Quest For Epic Loot.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I never played it. I don't like Massively Multiplayer games especially competitive ones.

Also, fantasy X-COM needs to exist.

Covok
May 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

It occurs to me that the Rookie meat grinder of the original X-Com and the 3d6-down-the-line character grinder of original D&D (and Dungeon Crawl Classics, et al) probably tap into the same masochistic streak.

Without a doubt that's true, but it's more exploitable in X-Com. See, you get command of an entire base worth of soldiers, not one character. If you vet your squadies, you can end up with a squad of super soldiers. Or maybe that only works in New X-Com with Trainning Roulette on, it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, playing Darkest Dungeon is really making me want to play Torchbearer. :(

Holy poo poo, you got the game too? Dude, I was thinking the exact same thing: it so like torchbearer. Also, it's mad hard. Like, two of my people got loving slaughtered on the first mission and I had to retreat and come back. The ones who survived had SO MANY mental illnesses and traumas and that stuff is expensive to treat. Also, of course, the priest had to be praying when I got back and the Crusader has a condition where he can only destress through prayer.

That said, Jesters are so worth it. Due to necessity, I needed to take two in my party and it felt like easy mode...until I realized how much it sucked to not have a healer. Food only gets you so far. Actually, that said, healing is rigid. You don't get alot of it and you quickly feel spread thin in that dungeon after one or two fights.

Any idea how initiative works? I still don't get the turn order mechanic.

• Locked thread