Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Spincut posted:

On a completely different note, is it just me or is board game/RPG journalism just nonexistent? Like, I was going to do a writeup of top games of 2014, then realized I've only played one (One Night Ultimate Werewolf, which, to be fair, is pretty awesome) and I think a large part of that is just I don't hear about anything new coming out, except for companies like FFG that are too huge to ignore. I just want to know about cool games coming out in 2015 without having to scroll through a list on BGG or check several different permutations of sites, podcasts, and Kickstarter pages.

It kind of feels like a chicken/egg scenario, really, because without proper journalism, it feels like the board game and RPG industries won't get enough exposure to grow, but on the other hand, the industries aren't big enough to support journalists. There is no Intel or nVidia to sell advertising to prop up sites to hire journalists to report on this stuff. And I'm not sure what's to be done about that, unless people volunteer their time and energy, but there is only so much that can be done with that before people (rightfully) want to be compensated for said time and energy.

If you're looking for basically just a place to hear about board games as they come out and how good they are, a friend of mine does a podcast/video reviews that's largely about this. I'm even in a few of the more recent video reviews -- http://www.pushurluckpodcast.com/

RPGs seem a little tougher. I follow a few blogs, but honestly most of my exposure to new games are hearing people mention them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Bendigeidfran posted:

I like that the player clans all agreed to not permanently seize each other's territory, making any "user-generated conflict" impossible to get rolling. Even in the worst bare-bones zombie MMOs you can get quality enjoyment out of griefing people and being a murderhobo; PFO doesn't even have that going for it. It's just pitiful.

Wait, really? Pretty much the only type of MMO that tempts me any more is the EVE-style "the big conflicts are just the players fighting over access to resources" style, so I could have been into an easier-access version of that. If Pathfinder was aiming for that then maybe they could have gotten away with the whole limited money for asset production thing, but now I just don't know what they're aming for.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Quarex posted:

Edit: Also being preemptively banned from Pathfinder Online is kind of irritating. Even though I have been 1,000,000% anti-griefing for the entirety of my gaming life, I now want to join a stealth Goon group to go ruin that game someday. (Though only because they apparently do want intrigue and player-versus-player insanity and are just shooting themselves in the foot by trying to ban the Internet's best gaming antagonists)

I'd be surprised if goons are banned. I'm assuming they meant that they'd shut down big organizations dedicated to griefing, especially if they end up being large enough to dominate the server (which is pretty common for goon guilds). I'm still not sure how they'd actually judge that, and think it's probably a really bad idea for a game that's meant to be all about player-player interactions, but there's no way that SA membership is grounds for banning.

• Locked thread