Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If there is a Mario Party match for the love of god let it not be teams this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I like when people play videogames for charity and I like when we can talk about the videogames and cool things about running them

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's an imp zone thread if you want to talk about dumb speedrunner drama instead of the actual speedruns and I'm sure you can make a gbs thread if you just want to say cuck over and over

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
They actually do a pretty good job of switching up the games year to year and I know a decent chunk of suggested games didn't get on the schedule because they've been at tons of marathons

it's still a week-long marathon though and you can't drop every game that have been run for ages, especially if they're ones that draw a ton of donations

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crain posted:

I just rewatched the TASbot segment from AGDQ14. If this year's TASblock can even come close to matching that then I'll have everything I want from this marathon.

from what I've heard here and there it's going to be better than last year's, don't worry

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
IIRC everyone who's going to commentate with people has already been decided (so no random people inviting themselves onto the couch) and have also been asked to watch runs of the games they're going to be there for so they're familiar with where they should and shouldn't talk.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The AGDQ t-shirts are up: http://www.theyetee.com/agdq/

The Samus one is really good.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Eonwe posted:

by the way

if you guys haven't seen Runnerguy's blindfolded child dungeons OOT run its crazy

He's practicing right now if anyone wants to watch and hope you get to see him get lost in the game: http://www.twitch.tv/runnerguy2489

(his monitor's off and he's looking at chat/splits)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I just watched the guy who's doing the tetris run practice and holy loving poo poo that might be the biggest surprise of the event

put that on your list of stuff to try to watch live

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Endorph posted:

does that apply to plushies too

will the touhou plushies no longer be there

IIRC those actually weren't supposed to be anywhere near the couch last time anyway

Dominic White posted:

Unfortunately, if Gamergate is blacklisted, expect the event to be DDoS'd and at least some attempt at doxxing, swatting or otherwise abusing the organizers. That's what they've done with every other charity that has politely asked them to back off, including Ablegamers.

poo poo is loving depressing. Who does that over videogames?

Yeah I'm pretty sure they're not going to actively say 'hey we're not going to read comments about gg' for that reason, but they will most likely just filter that stuff out from donation comments alongside troll comments and stuff that sounds like a line of twitch streamchat complete with eighty emotes. The only way it'll get on stream is if a runner tries to pull that poo poo themselves and I really hope that doesn't happen

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FPzero posted:

Holy poo poo that buff speedrunner.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spudd posted:

A... God Cranky? :what:

These guys aren't creative at naming things but love naming them, huh?

Someone explain the full halfie super metroid skip

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crain posted:

Well this run doesn't have great commentary. At least not from the runner. His couch is good about explaining things. Still too much dead air though.

As far as I'm aware the couch people are going to do the majority of the commentary for most of the runs this marathon + they specifically were supposed to watch several runs of it beforehand so they know what and where to commentate and where's good places to stop for donation comments

You'll probably get a few runners who are solid at running and commentating simultaneously but it's not going to be as frequent

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hello hello

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Gruntilda Penisbunion

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Oh poo poo, dkr is a race

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

African AIDS cum posted:

Oh I thought you had to beat adventure 2 to get him. Another thing I can't really tell who is winning since I don't remember the order of the stages.

Toufool (the current WR holder) is really far ahead, joe's currently behind him, and oxwas is behind both of them

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Why are you upset people are donating to a charity?

I've seen a few times people say that they think people are making up the cancer stories to get their donation read on air which is amazingly cynical

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cubey posted:

i don't know if you knew this, but lots of people die from cancer all the time.

we've already had over 120k concurrent viewers at multiple points it's not very unlikely that a handful of them are people who lost people to cancer recently

ullerrm posted:

Wow, I didn't realize how big the stream room is this year.

Guessing the couch is where that light is shining between the two projectors?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flyboi posted:

I think their god-awful game choices this year sucked any fun at all out on its own. Who really wants to watch 100% runs of horribly boring N64 games?

Banjo was supposed to be any% but the pal tv broke and the major skip requires a pal tv + console

DKR has been an extremely hype run in the past (toufool set a WR in it at sgdq13) and I think everyone expected this to be a really hype race given everyone involved. There's just no energy on the couch for it and I'm pretty sure none of them got the notice that they were supposed to watch a run/runs of it beforehand so they could actually talk about what was happening during the race

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crain posted:

Why is he holding the bananas? Was it like a bet or donation incentive?

They asked him and he said "meme"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DarkSol posted:

Pretty sure the new Twitch policy means he has to. He doesn't go shirtless anymore in his streams. (Which is great.)

Literally the first thing they streamed from the event that wasn't the highlight reel was him shirtless and flexing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Violently Car posted:

Anyone have a backup of the schedule? It seems to be down.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/runs/12

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crain posted:

It's pretty amazing how quickly the energy left from this marathon. It was great for two games then boom, nothing. They really need to make better choices when it not only comes to game options, but with who commentates.

They should look into getting a dedicated set of casters who they know will commentate. Like dedicated expert casters instead of leaving it up to runners friends or random people who "promised" to watch some runs before hand.
You could have a group of 8 casters take two person 6 hour shifts to makes sure there's some decent commentary to keep people interested.

The thing is with a week long continuous marathon you can't expect a small amount of commentators to be familiar with dozens of hours of runs. Having each run having a few people who were supposed to be very familiar with the game was a good idea to fix that as long as everyone was actually doing that; instead, we've got a guy who actually ran the game in the past but is super quiet, trihex, a dude holding bananas, and someone who I'm not sure spoke this entire time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

That MKWii run was awful.

It was okay, the technical issues overshadowed it a ton + the dude didn't know when to give up on IL strats though

I think a lot of people completely missed him explaining that you can't get mushrooms in first b/c I was seeing a lot of "wow why is he starting every race in last" in IRC

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DarkSol posted:

IL strats?

"Individual Level" strategies - basically risky strats that give you the theoretical best time versus ones that are safer but slower. When you hear someone say they're going for 'backup strats' that's usually someone failing at a risky trick and falling back to regular stuff.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what's the worst possible run to be someone's first impression of a game, do you think? Amnesia seems to be the really easy choice

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Man I go to sleep and suddenly everyone goes from hating the marathon to being really positive about it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mfcrocker posted:

Say no to Team Rose :colbert:

The big the cat segments are amazing though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Man I really wish they had a mic going so we could get some crowd noise, this complete silence is weird.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

OH MY GOD THIS ROOFTOP RUN MODERN RUN IS MAKING ME FURIOUS

HE RAN OUT OF BOOST BEFORE THE GODDAMN BARRELS, HE DIDN'T DO CLOCKTOWER SKIP (WHICH EVEN I CAN DO), HE'S NOT M-SPEEDING, HE'S poo poo poo poo poo poo!!!

fcuk

Calm down, go submit your run next year or whatever

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If I hadn't looked at this thread I wouldn't have known I wasn't supposed to like this run because some cosplay nerd thinks he can do so much better

Dude's doing a great job commentating while playing and is solid at the game (his PB is less than 20 seconds from the WR), a lot of the (few) things that have handed can be chalked up to marathon luck and safe strats

Stop getting so upset at videogames

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

You might want to read more than four words of my post

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

full-game wrs are pointless in Generations, ILs are the actual measure of skill. He's OKAY at safe-strats and the missions and other gimmicks,, but safe strats are boring and no one cares about the missions.

The thing about marathon runs is that IL strats tend to be extremely risky and don't matter as much in the context of the marathon and if you aren't willing to not go for IL strats every time you end up with stuff like the mario kart wii run.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You don't do ILs in a marathon setting. You grind ILs individually for hours at a time.

Yeah this

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

Then they should exhibit Sonic Generations at *GDQ in a more IL-friendly context. Better, more tech-capable runners to maximize hype.

Okay, in the context of a marathon where you have one shot at a run instead of different contexts when you can grind out runs and tricks over and over, what would you suggest they do differently

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Big the Cat confirmed

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Chomposaur posted:

Honestly I'm kinda amazed that the speed runners don't choke more often. I imagine they're not often on a stage in front of a couple hundred people and broadcast to a hundred thousand more.

As someone who only watches speed runs during GDQ, this guy was doing good commentary, he sounded like he wanted to be there, and the game is interesting enough to watch. I liked it!

Yeah, marathon runs are notorious for having 'marathon luck' and things that nobody's ever seen before happen alongside the nerves of being on stream just making it harder to perform tricks, people expecting perfect play and new WRs are expecting the wrong thing

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ohmygodsquad posted:

Anything weird and terrible coming up this year like Zoo Race?

Awful games done quick block looks really good, get excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

here we go!

• Locked thread