Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Things good about Norfolk:
1. Norva
2. Adult dodgeball leagues
3. ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Oh dude, you didn't spell "The Dirty Buffalo" correctly

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm okay with Norfolk; really it's Virginia that sucks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hope you like your new base sign.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The LCS is not useless. It is, however, expensive and does absolutely nothing to mitigate the massive deficiency in our surface Navy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't think anyone said this. :confused:

I'm agreeing it's not useless and elaborating that it's an insane folly? :confused:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

The ship is not an insane folly, but it's very reasonable/interesting to argue that the maritime strategy that would lead to the ship being built is folly.

I'm not really sure how you can defend these ships. Both here and literally on the high seas. There is a very good reason that the original buy was cut beyond the long-term financial projections.

There is literally nothing that they do better than another platform already in the fleet. Not anything worth doing anyway.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 16, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

The program was cut for a number of reasons, not the least of which is because the Navy can't make up its mind what its strategy is going to be.

Also you are exactly correct that it's not better then any other ship. However regardless of how much the cost balloons, it still way cheaper then BURKE which is the real point.

Since the bulk of the Navy's mission is not really Aegis centric it does not make sense to crank out billion dollar destroyers to chase pirates, etc.

I understand that the LCS was built to combat a specific threat. The problem is, even now, the product we've received is subpar with much better equivalent vessels in our own allies fleets. In fact, there are US companies currently producing better corvettes/frigates for our allies. Is it better than the OHP? Absolutely. Is it cheaper than a Burke? By about 4 times. That's not the point.

The ships have a very limited role in today's Navy. Not only would I hate to serve on one of those pieces of poo poo, I'd be in many ways morally outraged that anyone would even send them into harm's way if their role were expanded. The whole loving program is a boondoggle which attempts to address a problem that was never that serious in the first place.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

I guess I would ask what the primary threat the Navy addresses actually is? If you say that LCS is unsuitable for today's operational environment that implies you think that the primary threat, and the driver of our ship acquisition, is a technologically advanced, near peer competitor which I don't necessarily agree with.

Yes. While I don't think it's driven our ship acquisition to date, it has been the shift in strategic focus - and we're lagging.

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL33153.pdf

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
All of this is with the presumption that it's a permissive environment. You don't need a $500 million dollar frigate do to conduct these roles in a permissive environment. The LCS is a liability in a near-peer environment,and in an increasing number of environments our SUW threat isn't just near-peer.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

buttplug posted:

I think literally every single time I have ever heard anyone say this throughout my career, I have instantly written them off in my mind as a complete and total loving waste of time/space/life/air.

I usually just stare at them blankly until they acknowledge their mistake, or give up and ask why I think the answer is unacceptable.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CMD598 posted:

I thought you were over a year?

Panda is so wise in the ways of the Navy and advancement that it makes his time in rate appear much longer than it really is.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
!DC is so full of amazing food and drink (though expensive). Honestly, open Yelp! and just go wherever.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone know how leave buy-back works? I've heard it's half of basepay, but everything I've researched says full base pay...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

orange juche posted:

It's full base pay, no allowances.

Do not sell your leave back unless you have literally no other option, as selling it back is the worst choice you can make.

Going on leave, you get all of your allowances along with your pay while on leave, it makes you considerably more money, several thousand dollars per month usually.

Thanks.

I think I'm one of the few exceptions to that policy. As an Officer, the detailers will have to approve my resignation date. My PRD is October and they aren't extending SWO shore tours (SWO sucks so much that they have to bring in a ton of ENS to get the Dept Head numbers they need - most roll to shore before getting out). For GI Bill reasons I'm submitting my resignation for January since I was a December grad. Talking to the detailer, that's the most they'll grant me.

My current job is actually really awesome, so I don't mind staying up to about the last month, especially because December is really chill. Since resignation orders are written by month and not a specific date I plan to take terminal for the entire month of January and then officially leave service on the 31st to take advantage of a full paycheck. That extra 30 days I can sell back for money which is entirely bonus.

I don't need the time for job hunting because I'll be heading to grad school that year - I may take a reserve billet ~6 months, or I may just take some lovely job that I won't mind quitting in 6 months time.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 20, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There is so much good food in Chinatown in downtown Honolulu that it's not even funny. I used to live on the corner of Queen Emma and Beretannia and we would go to a new place pretty much every weekend and it was awesome.

Little Village Noodle House and Lucky Belly were the poo poo. Also, gently caress Waikiki.

Boon fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 24, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

overdesigned posted:

So they're sending me to be a detachment duty officer on an aircraft carrier while dudes do initial quals. I'm a dumb Marine who's never been on a ship before, much less lived on one for a week, but they picked me.

What stupid poo poo do I not know that will bite me in the rear end, and what dumb things am I forgetting to pack in my duffel bag?

Gym clothes. You're going to eat a lot of the carrier. Because you can.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
NSA Hampton Roads is on a 2-hour stand down because East Cost Solidarity I guess?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

orange juche posted:

Implying that it takes weather to make Virginia drivers stupid.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, my resignation packet just made it to the directorate head and got called into his office. Informed that I would go from EP on my FITREP (LT's are due end of January) to bottom of the substantial pile because politics.

I knew it was coming, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
For the rest of my life I will miss the years I spent in Hawaii.

• Locked thread