Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

So what’s up with this show?
It’s a half hour musical-comedy that will be running doubled-up (two episodes a night) for the next four weeks.

Music on my television? We already had 6 seasons of Glee.
Glee was an unfunny jukebox musical. Galavant has original compositions by 8-time Academy Award winning composer Alan Menken, who is responsible for the music in pretty much every Disney film you watched as a child, and Grammy winner Glenn Slater. Suffice it to say that ABC isn’t messing around.

Why should I watch it
Everything they've released so far indicates Omundson is going to be absolute gold as the pathetic King Richard. Plus, it'll be brimming with song and dance and who doesn't want to see that?

The Players
Joshua Sasse (Rogue) as Galavant

Timothy Omundson (Psych) as King Richard

Karen David (Waterloo Road) as Isabella

Vinnie Jones (Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels) as Gareth

Mallory Jansen (Young and Hungry) as Madalena

Luke Youngblood (Community) as Sid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm going to watch this whole thing even if it turns out to be garbage.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm going to watch this whole thing even when it turns out to be garbage.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm in it for Omundson's role. Godspeed, Lassie. Godspeed.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

All in, this show is going to be too beautiful for this world.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Regy Rusty posted:

No doubt, gonna watch the poo poo out of it. I already was based on the strength of Timothy Omundson, but now that I know Magnitude is in it too it's a lock.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If this leads to the return of Cop Rock I'm all in.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
In this for Ricky Gervais.

GreatSquidKite
Jan 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Despite this, I'm far more excited for this show than I should be.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I wasn't too interested in it till i saw Weird Al has a part, so now i have to watch if only to see a few minutes of him being his dorky self

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The singing commercials are.... something. ABC is going all out with this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really enjoying this so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Galavant's evil ex-girlfriend is my favorite.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Regy Rusty posted:

Galavant's evil ex-girlfriend is my favorite.

The villains are the best part of this show.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
Holy poo poo! John Stamos!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The first two episodes were pretty strong. Liking the cast and most of the songs.

That joust was pretty awesome too.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was fun. It wasn't riotously funny, but the songs weren't the worst thing ever and I like the characters.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 5, 2015

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm in it for Omundson's role. Godspeed, Lassie. Godspeed.

Same. Besides Omundson being completely awesome and stealing every scene he was in, the "You're not the worst thing in the world" song was my favorite thing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Galavant isn't the worst thing in the world either, but it did make me wish I was watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights instead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else think it was weird that Isabella has some decidedly white parents.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I thought so at first too, on closer look her father did appear to be of a different ethnicity, just rather pale.

That joust had me rolling.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's a very fun show so far.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

It was fun. Not deep, but very enjoyable and dammit I need to do a musical again...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
It was fun, but I hate to wonder how this got made in 2015

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wasn't much of a fan. Couldn't drum up the internal interest to continue watching past half of the joust episode.
Dunno, maybe it was the lackluster music (aside from the main theme which the creators seem to be in love with) or the lame jokes... It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

25 minutes in so far, and it's just not doing it for me. Maybe if I hadn't seen Into the Woods on Friday, and they stopped these thrice-damned singing commercials.

What the hell is up with this pacing? They seem to be going out of their way to pull the rug out from under themselves.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 5, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

muscles like this? posted:

If we listed all the anachronisms in Galavant we'd be drowning in them pretty quickly. It's just fun, not amazing the best thing ever but I'll tune in.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I really wish that it was written as hour long episodes, rather being two 30 minute episodes jammed together. Then maybe the musical numbers could half a little extra time to breath. Still pretty fun.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I enjoyed it for what it is. Lassie is the main reason I'm watching the show, though, and that's good enough for me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

I enjoyed it for what it is. Lassie is the main reason I'm watching the show, though, and that's good enough for me.

Timothy Omundson is insanely good and nails every single thing he says perfectly. Vinnie Jones also does a pretty impressive job for a guy who started his career as roles where he did nothing but stand around and look threatening.

If every cameo is half as good as John Stamos this is be one of my favorite shows of 2015. The montage music was also so good I immediately wanted to buy it on iTunes.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 5, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I was fond of the good Squire Magnitude (Luke Youngblood)

pop pop

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is amazingly cheesy but in a really fun, fluffy way

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Anne Whateley posted:

Galavant isn't the worst thing in the world either, but it did make me wish I was watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights instead.

Maybe that's because between Men in Tights, Quest for the Holy Grail, and South Park they didn't have a single original joke. I mean really I didn't hate it and the actors are all really good but this show is derivative as gently caress.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

The show had decent ratings last night, so if the numbers hold next week we should be good for a second season which I never would have expected.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Maybe that's because between Men in Tights, Quest for the Holy Grail, and South Park they didn't have a single original joke. I mean really I didn't hate it and the actors are all really good but this show is derivative as gently caress.

That's not true, the montage song was done by Team America World Police.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

The montage song concept was in both, South Park's version was two years earlier. It's not fresh but it still works.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not wild about this show and it's definitely derivative but I laughed extremely hard at the joust, and I have no shame on that. Also the cast is great even if they're given subpar material.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pinwiz11 posted:

The montage song concept was in both, South Park's version was two years earlier. It's not fresh but it still works.

It's not like South Park has a monopoly on montage parodies or anything, or even that they were anywhere near the first to do one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm not wild about this show and it's definitely derivative but I laughed extremely hard at the joust, and I have no shame on that. Also the cast is great even if they're given subpar material.

The joust and "I've only hugged one man, the day my father died. Squeezed the life out of that loving bastard." are my favorite bits so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed really hard at the part of the second episode where Isabella started singing about her betrayal.

• Locked thread