Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Plot
Chapter One: The Tower of Blood and Lightning
The party were sent to Boltstrike Pillar for a variety of reasons relating to the presence of The Diabolist, and the failure of magic in the tower. After clearing demonic-influenced monsters, the party were sent to clear out Greenstand - a ruin overlooking the tower. However, the ruins were cleared out by a dragon instead, which then attacked Boltstrike. The party destroyed an altar of The Diabolist and killed a wounded blue dragon named Ixillis of the Storm. Teleported to the top of the tower, they confronted the traitorous Guard Reed, who was responsible for a lot of the magical problems in the tower. He managed to half-complete a ritual, leaving him an ugly warped dragon monster. The party killed his accomplices, but he was able to escape.

Chapter Two: Old Town and Orcs
At Hobbs' request, the party went to Old Town to investigate why a tower on the network had stopped working. They found it was being used by elves from The Queen's Wood to observe an important astronomical event and that the halflings had contacted The Empire for help. The star the elves were watching exploded and rained elementals on the town, the party cleared them out and defused the situation when The Empire's knights arrived. They then tracked a party of orcish bandits to a cave on the way to Concord. They found them trying to install a Diabolist altar in the cave, and killed them.

Characters
Amelia - Guard at Boltstrike Pillar. Caring commander. Traded Glazenthorg the Bloody to Rowan.
Aristo Gaverknacker - Dwarven chemist. Wants to establish a potion mass-production business.
Deon Hammerbronze - Dwarf astronomer. Has an observatory at Forge.
Feabrima - Elven ambassador of The Court of Stars. Celeanor knows her.
Hobbs - Powerful wizard from Boltstrike. Long beard.
Kaizer Gardener - Garrison commander at Concorde for The Emperor. Replaced father.
Mayor Wallace - Nervous mayor of Old Town.
Peterad Baragleam - Most senior hobbit wizard of Old Town.
Reed - Traitor of Boltstrike. Is now a twisted dragon thing. Hates the party.
The Startographer Nine - Half elf star space-mappers from a century ago. Might be dead, but may have left notes.
Umbros The Giant - Big big High Elf with a big big Broadsword. Killed in the dark by Louise.
Varis - Guard at Boltstrike Pillar. Handsome human.
Xenia Floodgate - Old acquaintance of Hobbs. Works for The Archmage. Knows star magic.

Icon Dice
Louise: -Diabolist 6
Celeanor: +Elf Queen 6, ~Priestess 5

GM Book-keeping
X-X-X

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
For those of you new to PbP, there's a site at https://orokos.com that's quite helpful for doing rolls and linking the results. For example:
Elf Queen +-2 Icon dice: 1d6 2 1d6 5
Orc Lord +-1 Icon Dice: 1d6 5
Archmage +1 Icon Dice: 1d6 6
Well this is fascinating. Good luck with that one Captain_Indigo.

Denarion Verdefen

"Ah! Ettercaps, I believe! Rowan, perhaps now you can demonstrate the finer points of Cantrip Mastery, hm?"

Denarion in the meantime conjures a servitor which pulls his lute from his bag and begins strumming a jaunty tune.
"I, in the meantime, will demonstrate my theories on the intersection of Bardic and Arcane magic. Group Heroism!"

It's a strange effect. The song from the lute is quite catchy, but Denarion himself is simply mumbling something to himself. You definitely feel more accurate though.
"And now for the pet spider, Befuddle!" Denarion manages to slip the words in, but the spell fizzles in his hand.
"Drat."

Quick Action: Song of Heroes! :siren:Everybody gets +1 to all attacks, don't forget it!:siren: lasts until the start of my next turn.
Standard: Befuddle on the Hunting Spider, Befuddle vs Hunting Spider MD: 1d20+4+1 6 phbbbbbt
Staying put for now
Queen's Wood Wanderer + Intelligence: 1d20+6 19 What are ettercaps? What's dangerous about them, what are their weaknesses?

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily/Recharge
HP	24/24	Lethal		[ ]	Befuddle (11+) 	[x]	
Rec.	8	Pull it Tog.	[ ][ ]	Hero Song (11+)	[x]
AC	13	Cantrips 	[ ][ ]	Acid Arrow	[ ]
PD	12
MD	14

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citra

First thing first, Icon rolls. No dice.

Okay. Time to make a first impression. What better way to introduce yourself to a group of strangers than to work yourself into a violent bloodlust? It can very easily turn most people away, not everyone wants to risk "setting me off", not understanding how controlled I am. I'd be more worried about one of these magicians' spells going haywire. There's a greater chance of that happening, in honesty.

RAGE ACTIVATED

SEEING  RED.

SPIDERMEN.  WHY  ARE  THEY  HERE?  WHY  ARE  THEY  DELAYING  US  LIKE  THIS?  THEY  DESERVE  DEATH  FOR  ASSAULTING  US.  AND  DEATH  IS  EXACTLY  WHAT  I  WILL  GIVE  THEM.

CHARGING THE HUNTER. HE DIES FIRST

ATTACK THE ETTERCAP HUNTER: 2d20+6 (18, 12)

HIT.

DAMAGE: 1d10+4 12

pre:
Citra

Stats          Talents          Daily/Recharge

HP 33/33       Slayer           RAGE [x]
Rec. 8         Whirlwind        Building Frenzy [ ]
AC 14                 
PD 16
MD 11

Alaois fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 4, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

---

Citra, the magicians who populate Boltstrike Pillar have been complaining about a series of recent attacks on trade caravans. Traders bring valuable ritual ingredients and spell components which they insist they cannot do without – though they never needed them before. The High Priestess sends her agents to ask you to travel there and investigate. Magic going wrong is a sign of something bad, and for some reason that is never fully made clear, she doesn’t necessarily trust The Archmage to handle things properly.

Denarion Verdefen, as you are pouring through the local magical library, you are slipped a note. Agents of The Archmage very much wish for you to attend an investigation into an old magical tower named Boltstrike Pillar. The Archmage wants an… unconventional eye to take a look at things. It is made clear that you are to be that eye, and ignore anyone who tries to brush you off. You are told that a fellow magical practitioner will be travelling alongside you, a wizard lecturer you recognise from late nights browsing the academic library. Rowan Hawthorn, your instructions are clear but, as always, lack detail. You are to take a copy of Axeron Bledfowl’s Rift Weavery and Leyline Repair to Boltstrike Pillar. Magic is going wrong there – that’s all you’re told. The Temple Raiders want you to take the book to a woman named Amelia, she will help you from there. You are urged to travel alongside the half-orc elfspawned, but to tell him nothing of your mission unless absolutely necessary. Keep an eye on him, would he be a good recruit for The Temple Raiders?

Louise Septienne , The Crusader is busy cleansing the world of your distant cousins. After a confrontation with a fellow soldier, seemingly unhappy with a demon in The Crusader’s army, you are dispatched to a distant ‘minor problem’. It might be nothing. Maybe it’s something. Either way, it’d be good for the rest of the army to get a chance to get used to the idea of you. If you see any signs of The Diabolist then vent some anger and clear them.

Charles Aldebraun , there are signs of The Diabolist’s influence near an ancient ritual site at Boltstrike Pillar. The Emperor wants a low-key investigation. What’s perhaps more interesting are the rumours of a tiefling agent of The Crusader. Your instructions are clear – find her, work out what the deal is, and make sure that you’re around to put her down if she defects back to demonhood.

---

A magical tower of twisting arcane energies and complex magical algorithms.

An antique tome from The 10th Age mentions a series of stone towers which harnessed the inherent magic of the countryside and channelled it to meteoromancy and ‘harvest arts’. Ancient records from The 11th Age make reference to “a stone edifice which lightning strikes each storm … [the structure’s] nature has been lost to the tides of time”. During The 12th Age the pillar was investigated by magicians of The Lich King, but none were ever able to fully decode its secrets.

The motives and methods of The Icons are notoriously hard to decipher, but a small band of travellers all find themselves headed in the same direction at the same time. A farmer heading towards Boltstrike Pillar for trade lets a group of strangers ride his wagon. Conversation is light, though there is a nervous excitement when it becomes apparent that there must be something going on for so many to be heading to the same place at the same time. Lots of secrets are kept and little is unveiled, but a pleasant atmosphere descends.

That feels like mere moments ago. Now the party charge as fast as they can through the woods. Behind them come hisses and chitters - strange calls, unlike those of any bird. The farmer, his horse, and the wagon are lost. The deeper the party travels into the woods, the more remote and less obvious the path becomes. They trip over helmets burned with acid, rusty weapons abandoned in the grass and leaves. Finally, a clearing. Crumbling stone statues of dragons stand in an ocean of moss. Large stones block holes in the ground that might have once been tombs but now probably contain nothing more than dust.

There is a hiss from ahead and five squat humanoids leap from the trees and into the clearing. Your attackers have managed to cut you off in the woods. Their eyes glow hungrily and the mandibles of their spider faces twitch and drip with venom. One of the stone boulders is rolled aside as if it were a ball. A tarantula the size of a cow crawls from the gossamer-strung depths. An arrow sails through the air and strikes a tree inches from Denarion’s face. Stepping slowly from the woods, the spider-humanoid draws an arrow of bone from the quiver on his back.

Initiative
21 - Denarion Verdefen - HP 24/24, AC 13, PD 12, MD 14
18 – Citra – HP 33/33, AC 14, PD 16, MD 11

18 - Ettercap Defilier X5 Mooks - HP 7/7, AC 16, PD 13, MD 15
17 – Rowan Hawthorn - HP 27/27, AC ?, PD ?, MD ? (work your defenses out)
15- Ettercap Hunter - HP 32/32, AC 18, PD 14, MD 13
13 - Hunting Spider - HP 32/34, AC 17, PD 14, MD 11
7 - Louise Septienne - HP 30/30, AC 20, PD 13, MD 14
1 - Charles Aldebraun - HP 27/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14

Duuuuuh railroading into a fight duuuuuh! Yep it sucks, but let’s get stuff off with a bang.

Roll your Icon Dice!

Normal post structure. Bold name, normal description, moves in italics.

Remember that I’m new to this too. Point out mistakes, offer advice, have fun.

I’ve rolled initiative for everyone just to get things going, normally you will do this.

I got as cold and a fever and some of this may not make sense but :toot:

----

As his music fails to land in the mind of the giant arachnid, Denarion tries to remember all that he has learned about ettercaps. They are vicious and nasty creatures who follow spiritual leaders with a zealot-like intensity. These leaders could be anyone from giant spiders, to other ettercap cultits, to dark gods or Icons. The creatures closing in around the party seem different from the usual beasts though - their carapaces are cracked and moist. Their shells are splintered with crushed marks gelled together with dried goo. Their eyes glow with a demonic fever.

Citra runs across the ruins, leaping to action and delivering a crushing blow to the hunter, who spits and hisses in return. Within seconds, the smaller ettercaps are scuttling into combat.

"Tell usssss your secreeetssss!" they hiss in chorus. "What little things do you know? We will eat the secrets from your skulls! What different flavors are swimming around your brains? What delicious little morsels?"

Defiler Vs Citra - hit for 3 damage.
Defiler Vs Citra - hit for 3 damage.
Defiler Vs Rowan - hit for 3 damage.
Defiler Vs Denarion - miss.
Defiler Vs Charles - miss.

Initiative
18 – Citra – HP 27/33, AC 14, PD 16, MD 11
18 - Ettercap Defilier X5 Mooks - HP 7/7, AC 16, PD 13, MD 15
17 – Rowan Hawthorn - HP 24/27, AC ?, PD ?, MD ? (work your defenses out)
15- Ettercap Hunter - HP 20/32, AC 18, PD 14, MD 13

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 26, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rowan Hawthorn

"Was that a joke, Denarion? I'd be happy to oblige."

Rowan files through the options he's versed in. No time for anything flashy; one of the Ettercaps is already upon him!
He tries to jump away from the creature, but its many arms make it a hard proposition.

Disengage Save: 1d20 7: Failure. I get to stay put this round. :(

I think we need some back-up, thinks Rowan, But first I need some breathing room!

Quickly forming the appropriate signs, Rowan's right hand begins to crackle with electricity. He lunges forward with a sizzling slap, launching the attacking creature backwards a few feet as it connects.

Shocking Grasp( +5 vs PD): 1d20+5 23
Damage: 1d4 4

"You'd better turn and run, creature. We have friends coming right behind us!"
As his hand simply passes over his lips, the sounds of many armored feet tramping on stone echoes from the entrance hallway. Rowan hopes his impersonation of armed Guards from the Temple of Starlight is accurate, but he can already hear several sounds which aren't quite realistic. It had been quite a long time since he tried poking around on his own in the sepulcher there. At least the watchmen were slow on their feet. They probably wouldn't have understood the nature of his research.

Ghost Sound (+Temple Raider,+Int,+level): 1d20+9 12 Doesn't hit the DC 15 in the book. Failure :(

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

Stats		      At Will:   	        Daily/Recharge:
HP	24/27	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow	[ ][ ]	
Rec.	8	      Shocking Grasp	        Hold Portal     [ ]
AC	13	        	                Featherfall     [ ]
PD	11            Per Battle/Cyclic:
MD	15            Counter-Magic (free reaction) [ ]
                      Color Spray   (Cyclic)        [ ]
Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 4, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"What do you know of magics?" the ettercap hisses as Rowan slaps it away.

The hunter drops his bow to the ground, tugging at a length of web. Controlling it like a lasso, he drags a rusty sword from the ground nearby, and flicks it into his hand. He slashes at Citra with all his might, but the blade flies wide. See its master is under attack, the giant tarantula leaps into action. It places two huge legs atop Citra's shoulders, then buries its fangs in his neck!

Ettercap Hunter Vs Citra - Miss
Hunting Spider Vs Citra - Hit! 8 damage!

Initiative
18 – Citra – HP 19/33, AC 14, PD 16, MD 11

18 - Ettercap Defilier X5 Mooks - HP 3/7, AC 16, PD 13, MD 15
17 – Rowan Hawthorn - HP 24/27, AC 13, PD 11, MD 15
15- Ettercap Hunter - HP 20/32, AC 18, PD 14, MD 13

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citra

SEARING  PAIN  IN  THE  SHOULDER
DOESN'T  MATTER
THEY  OPENED  THEMSELVES  TO  ME

ACTIVATING WHIRLWIND (DEFENSE PENALTY: -4 AC, PD)

WHIRLWIND VS. ETTERCAP DEFILER (LEFT): 2#1d20+6 26 9

CRITICAL. 26 DAMAGE. DEAD.

WHIRLWIND VS. ETTERCAP HUNTER: 2#1d20+6 24 24

CRITICAL. 12 DAMAGE.

WHIRLWIND VS. HUNTING SPIDER: 2#1d20+6 25 14

HIT. 11 DAMAGE.

WHIRLWIND VS. ETTERCAP DEFILER (RIGHT): 2#1d20+6 16 15

HIT. 8 DAMAGE. DEAD.

NOTHING  STOPPED  THE  BLADE
ALL  OF  THE  SMALL  ONES  ARE  DEAD
I'M  COVERED  IN  ICHOR

pre:
Citra

Stats          Talents          Daily/Recharge

HP 19/33       Slayer           RAGE [x]
Rec. 8         Whirlwind        Building Frenzy [ ]
AC 14                 
PD 16
MD 11

Alaois fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 4, 2015

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Louise Septienne

Icon Rolls: Miss and Miss

"Tsk!" how did mere spider-spawn manage to get the better of us? At least we're forced into a confrontation now.
As the Ettercaps crashes into her new companions she gets a better look at them. I don't like the look of their eyes.
While she'd love to tear into the flesh of the cultists there's a bigger threat out there, the old man would have to fend for himself for now.

Louise draws her sword mid stride as she rushes towards the massive tarantula, she focuses her energy into the blade and a red glow appears around it.
As she closes it crackles with energy and her swing strikes true:
Demonic Smite vs Hunting Spider: 1d20 + 10 = 24 Hit! Dealing 1d8 + 1d12 + 4 = 17 Damage!
She twists the blade into the abdomen of the spider causing it grievous pain. "You made a grave error by neglecting my presence, now face me beast!"
Louise Septienne challenges the Hunting Spider! Louise and the Hunting spider now suffers a -4 to attack anyone but each other and they suffer a -4 on disengagement checks from each other.

I will trigger my Curse of Chaos on any enemy that rolls a 1-5 on an attack.
If one of the non-mooks hits Citra I will use bastion to take half of the to damage myself.

pre:
Louise Septienne

HP	30/30	Smite Enemy	[X]	Smite Enemy	[ ][ ][ ]	
Rec.	8	Bastion		[ ]	Lay on Hands	[ ][ ]
AC	20	Curse of Chaos	[ ]
PD	13
MD	14

Temporary Effects	Effect		Duration
Song of Heroes: 	+1 Attack	Until Denarion's turn.
Paladin's Challenge:	Hunting Spider	Until end of battle.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

Icon Rolls: Emperor, Conflicted: 1, 5
// Diabolist, Negative: 4

Bouncing the spiderthing off his shield, Charles takes a moment to look the creature over. Glowing eyes, eh? I don't imagine that being quite normal. ...Demons? His eyes flick, for the briefest moment, over to the Tiefling. Then back to the task at hand.

"Well now." He raises his shield just in time to block the spatter of goo coming out of what used to be the spiderthing in front of him. His eyes sparkle—when was the last time he'd felt like this? "Hyahahah! Looks like this old man needs to get a move on before you finish without me!" With the small fry now out of the way, Charles begins to circle around behind the two remaining creatures. Don't want them turning tail now that the momentum is ours, eh? As he moves his eyes sparkle again, this time with the light of magic.

"Good show, Citra!" ...I can't tell if she's even listening like that. "Well, perk up, we're just getting started!"

The light in his eyes flashes, and for a moment an aura of light surrounds Citra.

"Louise Septienne, that one I leave to you. Now for you, eight-eyes..." His eyes shine once more and a sphere of light appears above his shoulder, before extending itself into ray that slices across the back of the spiderman, who falters but remains standing. "Fiddlesticks. A stubborn little bugger aren't you. I don't suppose you would care to give up now?" A crooked grin runs across his weathered face. "No? Well that is just a shame."

Quick Action: Heal! Citra can make a recovery; no special bonuses to it, unfortunately.
Standard Action: Javelin of Faith at the Ettercap Hunter: 15 v PD, hit for 6 damage.
Move Action: Loop around behind and just a bit back from the two enemies left, with an eye towards catching them if they try to make a break for it.

pre:
Charles Aldebraun

Stats		Per-Battle		Daily
HP	27/27	Heal		[X][ ]	Bless	 	[ ]	
Rec.	8/8	War Buddies	[ ]	Shield of Faith	[ ]
AC	18	Domain (Pro.)	[ ]	Invoke (Pro.)	[ ]
PD	14				Invoke (Lead.)  [ ]
MD	14				Invoke (Sun)    [ ]

Unengaged

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 4, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Don't forget the escalation die. Me and Citra benefit right now, and everyone else will get +1 in their next round of posting.

Denarion Verdefen

"Joking? Hardly, Rowan! I've always your respected your ability to simplify and reduce even the most complex of..."
Suddenly a blade swings inches from his face, which was most fortunate because it was previously where an ettercap was. The shock momentarily disrupts the song, but Denarion rallies well, and takes the time to get a good look at the strange cracks he noticed earlier.

"Anar'alah belore! The benefit of a sword over a couple dithering magicians, I suppose. Nearly lost my bardic spell as well, but this last verse is for you, my learned friend!"

At the same time, Denarion charges forward, taking advantage of Citra's terrible blow to stick his own blade into the creature's neck. It gurgles and collapses, though not without sending some more globs of ichor Citra's way.
"Fine swordsmanship, silent warrior! Hold, let me see if I can tend those wounds a little. Fortunately, the large one does not appear poisonous."
A quick heal spell quickly mends the worst of the spider's bite.

Sustain Song check: 1d20 1 pffhhbbbttttt +1 to everyone fades, but Rowan gets a +2 bonus to his next attack roll!
Move to engage with the Hunter
Melee attack vs Hunter: 1d20+6 25 1d10+4 9 hit! Kills it!
Battle Cry, Pull it Together!, Citra can heal using a recovery! (Edit: z0glin posted while I was writing this! Well, its the only battlecry available, so I guess Alouicious is spoiled for choice here.)

Magical Prodigy + Wisdom: 1d20+5 14 taking a quick glance at the crushed bits and demonic glow of the Ettercaps to glean some info.

pre:
Denarion Verdefen

HP	24/24	Lethal		[ ]	Befuddle (11+) 	[x]	
Rec.	8	Pull it Tog.	[x][ ]	Hero Song (11+)	[x]
AC	13	Cantrips 	[ ][ ]	Acid Arrow	[ ]
PD	12
MD	14

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

With a massive spin of his sword, Citra absolutely obliterates the enemy ranks. It is not just the nearest defilers who feel the brunt of his blade, as the force of his sword sends shockwaves through the air that effortlessly behead and dissect the arachnid humanoids. However, whatever dark influence infects the creatures plays one final trick. As their bodies collapse to the ground, bursts of infernal fire erupt like tiny volcanoes from their stomachs.

Inspecting the still twitching body parts, Denarion is unfortunately unable to determine anything other than general demonic taint. Could be the work of The Diabolist, or could just be free demons running amok in the area.

Infernal Blast x2 - Citra takes 6 damage!
Infernal Blast - Denarion takes 3 damage!
Infernal Blast - Charles takes 3 damage!

I'm going to assume Citra takes a heal. Green Intern it's up to you whose heal you take.

Initiative
21 - Denarion Verdefen - HP 21/24, AC 13, PD 12, MD 14
18 – Citra – HP 21/33, AC 14, PD 16, MD 11
17 – Rowan Hawthorn - HP 24/27, AC 13, PD 11, MD 15
13 - Hunting Spider - HP 4/34, AC 17, PD 14, MD 11 STAGGERED - MARKED
1 - Charles Aldebraun - HP 24/27, AC 18, PD 14, MD 14
0 - Escalation Dice +1

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan takes Denarion's words to heart, and feels better for it.

Recovery: 1d6 3

The feeling ends abruptly as the ettercaps detonate. "Good lord. That's just not fair. Most creatures have the decency to quit after they're dead."

Rowan moves up to get a clear shot at the spider. Fishing around in his pockets, he pulls out a handfull of glittering sand. With a gesture, he transforms the component into a scintillating riot of colors, which he sends streaking towards the last remaining spider's eyes with an overhand throw. It is struck dead where it stands, the only evidence of the manner of its demise a lingering sparkle.

Color Spray Attack Roll (MD): 1d20+5+1+2 23
Damage: 2d8 7
(Not bothering to roll for the 1d4 targeted enemies)

"Now that's what I call a bug zapper!"

pre:
Rowan Hawthorn

Stats		      At Will:   	        Daily/Recharge:
HP	27/27	      Cantrips                  Acid Arrow	[ ][ ]	
Rec.	7/8	      Shocking Grasp	        Hold Portal     [ ]
AC	13	        	                Featherfall     [ ]
PD	11            Per Battle/Cyclic:
MD	15            Counter-Magic (free reaction) [ ]
                      Color Spray   (Cyclic)        [X]
Talents:
High Arcana
Abjuration
Cantrip Mastery (w/Feat)

Buffs: Denarion's Song (+2), Escalation Die (+1)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

With the final spider vanquished, a calm falls upon the area. The darkness and the scurrying creatures in the woodlands around the party remain, but for now the danger seems over. Amazingly, as the group watch, the ocean of web seems to gently retreat. Thin strands snap and vanish, thicker strands fray until they are weak enough to simply walk through.

The path ahead looks as though it might lead through the rest of the forest and eventually run to Boltstrike Pillar. Retracing their steps and taking the long way is probably safer, but now that they are half way there it might make more sense to just carry on through the dense woods.

Icon Dice:
Denarion - Elf Queen 5, Orc Lord 5, Archmage 6
Charles - Emperor 5
Rowan (rolled for you) - Prince of Shadow 6

Edited

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 5, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Oh god drat it. I rolled my Icon dice for my first post, and then never put them in.

Icons: Archmage/Priestess/Prince of Shadows: 3#1d6 2 3 6

Prince of Shadows is a hit.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

With a twisted smile on her lips Louise walks over to Citra and clasps her shoulder. "That was an awesome display in demon murder, I think we'll get along just fine!" She lets go then looks down at her hand now covered in dark blue ichor and clenches her fist. Well, there's definitely something here... If demons have infested the land around the pillar, what awaits for us at our destination?
Turning towards everyone she says "I'd say we stop wasting time and make our way directly towards the tower through these woods, the taint seems to be weakening." But if we're lucky we may find more of these things to snuff out on our way there.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 5, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

The disappearing webs are quite intriguing. Was this evidence of some concerted effort to summon opposition to the group, or an organic magical mutation of otherwise normal (and admittedly disgusting) creatures? Rowan pokes through the ettercap remains with his staff, collecting a sample and muttering over it. He jots a few notes in a journal as this goes on.

"Citra, was it? Once you've caught your breath why don't you bring some of that ichor over here so I can get a look at it. I think we'll be quite safe walking through the woods, judging by the quantity of the stuff on you."

Once Rowan has a sample of the goo, he summons some minor magical servants to mend and clean everyone's clothes.

Skill: Int + tenured professor: 1d20+8 26 Should be a 27, didn't include my level. Using my magical knowledge to see if I can determine how these ettercaps got all corrupted. Also casting Mending to get us all presentable again. Wizards.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citra

EVERYTHING  DEAD
EYES  CLEARING  UP
FEEL  Hand  on  m y s h o u l d e r.

It's the demontouched. Louise? She complements me. The red mage asks for a sample of the ichor.

"Yes, please. Take as much as you need. I... feel I need to bathe several times."

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"Off to a roaring good start, I'd say! And as these things are all about momentum! I must agree with my heavily armored comrade here. Into the trap!" That draws some looks.

"...It is a trap, isn't it?" In his experience, the mysterious opening of a path—in hostile territory, no less—was a sure-fire sign of a trap or ambush of some sort. "I would be sorely disappointed if we came all this way and they didn't have something clever lined up for us."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Rowan is used to working with slightly better equipment and resources than are immediately available, but his eye is sharp and his wits are keen. The ichor confirms what he already suspected from the damaged chitin.

The damaged shells were marks of The Diabolist's torture. Their bodies broken then repaired with their own blood for her infernal amusement. Even their blood is laced with her dark presence - the blue goo gently vibrates on Rowan's fingertips as he examines it. The creatures are dead but the dark spirits inside them are still going through their death throes.

It's impossible to tell if these creatures attacked on The Diabolists's behalf but it seems unlikely. The most likely outcome, Rowan surmises, is that they have at some point come across a minor alter of her dark design and been corrupted from there. They are more vicious than their typical brothers and sisters, and there are no doubt more cursed ettercaps in the woods, but they were most likely just attacking on instinct rather than order.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

"Thank you, Citra. Just stand still and let my magic do its work."

Rowan considers the evidence before him and relays his findings to the group. "It appears there's loose magic around here. The Diabolist has been careless about leaving her toys behind. If we're on our guard, we should be fine, I expect. If we happen to come across one of her altars, we could consider disabling it to keep this from happening again."

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 5, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

The half-orc also kneels besides some of the bodies, making his own examinations.
"Hm, perhaps their carapaces were damaged in previous ambushes, and healed in this twisted manner thanks to the demonic presence? But... is the Diabolist one to simply forget places of power so close to an ancient magical tower?"
Denarion stands up and sighs.
"Demonology was never my wheelhouse. I had enough to deal with without accusations of consorting with dark powers on top."

Denarion looks back at the newly revealed path, wondering about the disappearing webs.
"I'm afraid I must disappoint you, Sir Adelbraun, but I believe these webs were the trap, designed to keep us here while the ettercaps tore us apart. Of course, they failed to account for our superior strength, but as isolated as this group seems to be I think we've dealt with the worst of it.

Either way, if these creatures had nothing of value, let us continue to Boltstrike Pillar. If there are more, speed may be paramount."

Gonna poke around for loot on the hunter and the mooks.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

A trap? In that case who was the intended prey? While these critters obviously have the Diabolist's taint all over them there was no way that I would've lost to them, was there? Maybe if I didn't have help things would've turned out differently... No, this was probably just a chance encounter. Still, as long as their goals align with mine this group seems to be quite useful to keep around.

She waves away the magical servants that the wizard had summoned, she had passed through the fight without getting any filth on her. Oh, except for that. She bows down to wipe off her hand on the mossy ground and speaks to Denarion "No, he's correct. Those are signs of torture and were made to cause pain. This is how she likes to treat her loyal subjects, if she feels like it." She rises with a scowl on her face "Carelessness is her forte. She tends to lose interest in things that bore her."

Looking down at the mangled corpses at her feet she thinks to herself: I'd take immense pleasure in destroying that altar, as well as any remnants of these pitiful creatures.
Raised in Hell + Wis: 1d20 + 7 = 18 Can I tell anything about the location of the altar or anything that has not already been mentioned about these ettercaps?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Scanning the area, the paladin sees nothing which might lead to the alter. Knowing ettercaps, there is as much chance that it has been dragged underground or hoisted into the treetops on webs , as left where it is. Still, she makes a mental not to keep a look out.

Deciding to cut through the woods, each of the party pool their skills in an attempt to make the short, perilous journey as short and peril-free as possible.

Skill Check time!

Roll is relevant attribute mod + one relevant skill + 1d20 + 1

No initiative required as more than one person can do a similar job. How do you help?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Growing up in the Hell Marsh and travelling the swampland between the Hellholes quickly teaches you to watch where you step. While that terrain and these woods differ a lot the basics should be the same. It's not all unalike though, there's something familiar about the atmosphere. The oppressive darkness and the chittering noises that surround them feels a bit like home.
Louise takes the lead - that's where she feels most comfortable anyway - where she focuses on finding stable footing as she cuts through any remaining webbing.
Raised in Hell + Wis: 1d20 + 7 = 17

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn

Rowan stands towards the front of the pack, keeping an eye on the trees above and on the ground in front of them for any more traps or ambushes; everyone seemed to be in agreement that they might be walking into a trap of some kind, anyway. Between his knowledge of various kinds of traps and pitfalls -both from study and practical experience - he hopes that he can keep the group from stumbling into a messy end. Those giant carved stones are awfully interesting however, and he can't help but be somewhat distracted thinking about them.

Skill: Perception/Notice traps (Int+Temple Raider+level): 1d20+9 10 Our first Nat 1? Also I suppose this could be Wis, in which case it's be a 7.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citra

Hmmm.

What's the saying? Can't see the forest for the trees? A bit of a literal interpretation might be in order here.

Too many trees to see in front of you? Cut down the trees.

Lumberjack Time (Heavy Hitter + Str): 1d20+9 18 forgot level, should be 19.

Also forgot to roll my recharge for Barbarian Rage

Recharge Rage: 1d20+4 17

AND IT'S GOOD

Alaois fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 6, 2015

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

The old man's scraggly face droops a bit on hearing that the odds of this being a set-up are low, but picks up again as the band starts making its way through the trees.

"This brings me back! You know, back when I was just a laddie myself, we would go hunting and trapping out in the woods like this. 'Course, the spiders weren't so drat big back then. Anyway, you spend a month out here alone, and I tell ya, ya learn some things, you do. Why, once, I was up on this tree, see, because...and then..."

The stories continue interminably, but the geezer does seem to know how to pick his way through the wilderness, and the group begins making good time toward the tower.

Check: "You whippersnapper! Why, back in my day..." + Wis: 1d20+5+4+1 18

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion

The half-orc pushes ahead, perhaps if only to spare himself the old man's stories.

"Citra! Citra, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but perhaps your strength can be a little better directed."

Walking alongside, with his own blade drawn, Denarion helps to clear a path for the others, sticking to places with relatively clear ground and keeping an eye on the map and the distant tower. Between the two swordsmen, they make great progress without cutting down that many trees.

Note to self: 21/24 HP atm
Forgot my Power recharge, Beffudle and Heroism: 1d20 10 1d20 8 nope and nope

Hm, Str + Queen's Wood Wanderer: 1d20+9 18 to help clear a path.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Louise does a fine job of cutting through the remaining webs and the party are able to make good progress, saving a significant amount of time that could have been spent wriggling and struggling.

Rowan attempts to keep an eye our for traps but the ground is uneven, the forest is dense, and there are so many interesting things to catch the eye. His foot steps on what looks like a simple stone, which sinks into the ground and suddenly one of the crumbling dragon statues is belching acid all over him. It hurts, but the damage to his skin is minimal. It appears that these traps were here long before the ettercaps and the acid is pretty old. Rowan takes 6 damage.

Citra takes a heavy-handed approach and redefines the landscape, not only clearing the path but also disarming several waiting traps hidden in the undergrowth.

Charles, though rambling, points a good path through the woods. At one point he directs away from an obvious path and seconds later the party discovers a much clearer track.

Denarion is a little more artful in his lumberjackery, cutting branches from their path and cleaving tracks through long grasses and in no time the party have found their way to Boltstrike Pillar!

Hooray, nice job!

When they finally burst forth from the woods, the adventurers are surprised. What they were expecting to be a desolate, lonely tower is in fact a small community. The tower certainly dominates the landscape, but in its shadow lies a small town of thatched-roof houses. A long cobble street leads up to the tower itself, circles around its base, then rejoins itself. As a warm breeze blows past, a sign at the entrance to the village creaks on its hinges.

"Welcome to Boltstrike"

The Pillar is tall, stone, and smooth. Its surface is a deep red stone with a complexion similar to that of a dull marble. It protrudes into the sky at a strange angle and the air around it seems to shimmer with volatile energies. Staring at its very peak, its possible to make out a halo of silver fire around which several flares seem to rotate, changing colour occasionally. Those in the party with any magical knowledge at all can tell that the pillar is old, powerful, and infinitesimally complex.

There is another surprise however. At the base of the tower is a reasonably sized crowd of people - far too many to be the population of such a lazy village. There are strange and outlandishly dressed people, some of whom look and stand like nobody the adventurer's have seen before. A quick glance confirms that this gathered throng are undoubtedly wizards. A tall, wiry man wearing a hat covered in spinning metal disks is arguing with a gnome clutching three dead chickens in his hands. A trio of all-but-naked dwarves covered in blue tattoos converse animatedly with one another, and then start bellowing at a halfling mounted atop a gigantic rooster. These are strange wizards - hedge magic users and sorcerers from parts of the world with little to no official state magical training. And all of them appear to be trying to gain access to the tower.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Charles Aldebraun

"...and it was at that point Vern and I knew we had to skedaddle or—oh ho, and what have we here? They didn't tell me there would be a town." His face scrunches a bit. "Not that that's a surprise."

Paying the tower itself no heed at all (for he gave his heeds more sparingly these days), Charles focuses in on the lot of loons. "And I suppose this isn't much of one either. I'll tell you, the moment some magical doohickey goes sideways they come down like vultures, they do." His eyes go finally to the tower itself. "Well, this particularly doohickey may just warrant it."

He tosses a quick glance at Rowan, then Denarion. "I don't suppose anyone recognizes any of them, eh?" he asks, squinting back into the crowd.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citra

Such a large group of magicians, a magical powder keg waiting to turn the surrounding landscape into a magic-tainted wasteland. Maybe it's good that there's so many. Might make gathering info on the caravan attacks easier. Someone here is bound to have some information.

Asking some local traders would also be useful, getting background on the magicians from locals could prove vital to understanding just exactly what is happening.

Gather Info: 1d20 12

Alaois fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn
HP 21/27

Rowan curses his luck and reminds himself to be more attentive. He'll never be able to fulfill the Archmage's wishes if he's dead. He looks over the crowd of wizards at Charles' prompting.

"I'm afraid not, at least that I can tell. They don't look like the kind who would frequent the Academy." He glances at the rooster rider. "Or books, in some cases. We should probably find out what they know, though."

Rowan walks up to the crowd and coughs politely. No reaction? He replicates the sound of the Academy's ceremonial gong with a quick spell. There's nothing quite like a gong to make an entrance, and there's nothing that wizards will notice more than magic.

Ghost Sound(Int+Tenured Prof+lvl): 1d20+9 18 Quite a convincing gong

"Greetings, fellows. Rowan Hawthorn. I expect that we are all after the same thing. Would you care to bring my group up to speed on the situation?"

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 6, 2015

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

Demarion walks up to Rowan and shows a big, toothy grin marred only slightly by his tusks and sharp teeth.

"Ah, but what incredible company we find ourselves in, Rowan! Practitioners of the Art the likes of which I have only read of in great stories! Runic smiths from the mountains, an animalist, artificers and ritualists from distant lands... Why only something of great importance could call these people here.

Of course, my esteemed colleague and I have the same question. Having travelled so far, we've been separated from news of the arcane. What trouble has come upon this tower, and what lies inside that all of you are so interested in seeing?"

Charisma + Magical Prodigy: 1d20+10 28 oh now I get incredible rolls.
Building rapport and gathering info by talking shop.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Louise stares in wonder at Boltstrike Pillar as it appears before them. She was expecting something more... dormant? The halo of fire high in the sky keeps her eyes captive for a while but then she hears Charles say something about a town. She had kept the old man's voice tuned out for a while now but as she averts her eyes from the tower she notices the gathering at it's foot. That was definitely unexpected, what are all these people doing here?

One wizard was usually enough to complicate things. This? This is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

As Rowan tries to speak with the crowd she says, "Do you really think that it is wise to draw attention to-" She is interrupted by a loud gong ringing in her ears. Well, subtlety would have to wait for some other day. Hopefully light would be shed on what the Crusader considered worthy to investigate here.

Standing near Denarion and Rowan, Louise gazes at the crowd with her hand tensely gripping her sheathed blade. If anyone makes a threatening move she would not be caught off guard.
Strength + Student of War: 1d20 + 8 24 Maybe her presence would help lend some weight to her companion's words. (If I should've used charisma here instead of strength then I got a 23)

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 6, 2015

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Citra, the crowd is so dense and thick and loud that its impossible to determine much of anything other than the fact all of them are trying to get inside and none of them are currently being allowed.

The gathered mass of wizards fall silent for a moment at the gong, and turn in surprise. They stare at Rowan as he talks, followed by Denarion. The gong echos for a while then falls silent, at which point a dozen arguments break out again and the mass of wizardy types return to ignoring the party.

Fortunately, they catch the attention of someone more important. Guarding the entrance to the tower is a small band of guards. They were silver armor and tabards emblazoned with tower insignias. The guards are mostly human and half-elf, though there is a high-elf among them and a gnome or two. Most are occupied trying to organise the rabble into lines - a concept that many of the wizards seem to befuddle most of the wizards.

"Ye letting a damned pointy-hat in ahead of us?!" a dwarf barks. "Yer think I got these in a library?! This is REAL magic!" he says motioning to his tattoos.

"Rowan!" A voice calls out over the fray. A loan guard jumps down from the raised tower entrance and shoves her way through the crowd. There are grumbles and angry shouts from the shoved-aside wizards. "Professor Hawthorn? It's me! Diana Cavelash! I took a class with you six years ago on arcane spectromancy. I was always such a big fan of your work. And I always thought you were so handsome! Sorry, shouldn't have said that!" The woman takes Rowan's wrist and leads him towards the tower, gesturing for the rest of you to follow. "Please, please, please, come to the front of the line! So what are you working on now? No wonder someone so clever was sent to help! Get out of the way! Come on! Clear a path! Everyone will get a chance! Sorry, professor, things are crazy here at the moment. Everyone with a grimoire wants a chance to see the tower and since it's normally closed off to the public they think they'll get a chance. MOVE ASIDE! Follow me, so who are your friends?"

Diana talks quickly and unrelentingly, asking questions in a sing-song voice but never waiting for an answer. She eventually gets the party to the barricade. After some hurried words with the other guards, the party are admitted inside through a set of large wooden doors.

Rowan, you have never seen this woman before in your life.

You are led into an entrance hall. The air around you is buzzing with magical energy and you find your hair ocassionally standing on end, or loose clothing being swished around gently on a breeze you cannot feel. From the solid humming and thudding from above, you believe that the majority of the actual magic occurs in the higher levels of the pillar. Some wizards who seem to have been allowed in are checking runes on the ground and studying the walls, but all seem slightly annoyed they have not been allowed up the spiral staircase at the end of the room.

"Go talk to the second in command. His name is Varis and he will be through in that study over there," Diana points to a doorway. "Tell him you have been vetted and allowed access. He will have work for you."

She turns and leaves immediately, stopping only to whisper in Rowan's ear.

"The Prince of Shadows sends his regards."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Citra

Fortunate bit of providence, I suppose. I suppose if anyone is to ask about the attacked caravans, it'd be the magicians who actually occupy the tower, as opposed to the gathered rabble outside. All I need to do is approach one and talk to them. This would be significantly easier if Tomasson was still around, he was always the best at this sort of thing.

Nearing one of the magicians examining a wall rune, I clear my throat and try to get their attention.

"Excuse me, I can see that you are busy but I only have a simple question for you. Do you know anything of the caravans being attacked and magical supplies going missing around here?"

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Rowan Hawthorn
HP 21/27

"Yes, I think I recall you-thank you for the compli-handsome, you say?" Rowan tries to keep up with Diana's patter, but can't help but wonder who she was. "Yes, we're here to figure out what's going on. Ah, this is Citra, Denarion, Charl-" Diana had already moved on with her questions.

Rowan looks around at the other wizards dotting the room as the group walks by. It would be best to leave them be for now. Things always got prickly when there was unequal access to resources at the Academy, and this was no different.

"We'll be along to Varis momentarily, don't you worry."

His blood runs cold when Diana reveals her true alliegance. To be fair, this was essentially business as usual; The Prince would of course be the one to handle all the dirty particulars of access and transportation. That didn't make the fact any less uncomfortable. Working with - for - the Prince carried its own set of troubles. Rowan masks his unease with a smile and a flustered cough, and then shouts after Diana as she goes.

"I can't say that I've ever dated a former student, Diana, but I'd love to get dinner some time after all this!"

Bluff (Temple Raider + Cha + Level): 1d20+6 22

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Louise Septienne

Well that was - Louise covers her mouth - Pfffwwt- fortunate, but- Pfffffwwt- Oh it's too hard to maintain discipline sometimes, why was this so funny! Handsome? Pffffwwwt- That stuffy wizard belongs in a museum! Pffwwwwwt-"Ahahahaha!" Some of the wizards directs annoyed glances at her, she grins at them and they turn back their runes muttering.

She recovers from her fit as quickly as she can. "Rowan, maybe we should focus on our task? I'm sure that-" Pffwwt- "you'll be able to talk to her more later." I sincerely hope I'll be around for that!

"Let's see what Varis has for us." She says still with a smile on her face, attempting to regain her composure.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Varis appears a few moments later. He is a tall, handsome human with sandy blonde hair and a glistening boyish smile. His uniform is the same as the other guards, but he also wears silver spaulders. He appears through a wooden door with three iron horse shoes nailed to it. From above there comes a tumultuous rumble that stills the hands of the already admitted wizards.

"Someone is over-feeding a runic oscillator up there," an elderly sage in green robes mumbles.

"You have no idea what you are talking about, old man!" One of a duo of elves calls out. "You've no idea what equipment they even have up there!"

There is a brief flash of light at the open door as blue sparks shoot between the horse shoes.

Varis greets you tiredly but politely. "You've been vetted?" He asks, but does not even wait for an answer. "Thanks for coming. We need all the help we can get right now but we're spending most our time just trying to keep out the crazies and lunatics who just want a look inside the pillar."

"You hear that?" Says a halfling clutching a piece of chalk in one hand, and a set of scales in the other. Someone who is invisible due to the curve of the wall mutters back expletives.

Varis rolls his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Denarion Verdefen

"No accounting for taste among humans, eh?." Denarion whispers an aside to Louise.

Denarion nods his greeting to Varis. It would probably not do to make it too obvious they had no idea what was going on here.
"Of course, friend, I could see from the mob outside your predicament. We've already had a briefing from Horizon, but it'd probably be best if you told us the particulars yourself. Word of mouth being what it is, you understand."

Denarion starts to take a look at the runes and takes careful note of the rumbles and sparks happening around him. If he was any other kind of bard, he'd probably be making a show of it. But Denarion takes in his new surroundings eagerly, positively bouncing at the chance to examine this ancient magic.

"Ah! On the way here we did have a run in with some Ettercaps. Demon-touched, if the esteemed Professor Rowan here is any judge. We easily dispatched them, but whatever caused their corruption is likely still somewhere out in the forest."

Magical Prodigy + Int: 1d20+9 12 man its boom or loving bust around here isn't it. Magicing at the tower to see if I can sense anything wrong.

• Locked thread