Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'd been running a game for the past week or so preparing for this thread, and just died last night! So let me claim the first death of the thread:

Died under Candlekeep. I backstabbed one of the Iron Throne guys, the rest turned on me and killed me in moments. Not sure how my 71hp disappeared that fast, but oh well. Things might've gone differently if Dynaheir hadn't got killed by a Phase Spider in the catacombs.

RIP Airon the Fighter/Thief, your stats were too good for this world.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Since I got in trouble last time for being too adventurous with backstabs, I'll make someone who stays farther away from the action this time. Lady the Elven Archer it is, then! Going for an all-female party too.

Put two proficiency points each in longbows and shortbows. Will focus on longbows for BG1 then switch to shortbows if I ever make it to BG2. Hopefully the lack of a melee proficiency won't screw me over. Racial enemy is spiders.

I get Imoen and she successfully backstabs Tarnesh, but Lady has to finish the job.

Jaheira joins at the Friendly Arm Inn, but there's some guy following her. We send him to get eaten by hobgoblins.

Neera is recruited in Beregost, then we head over to the light house for Safana. Turns out she only wants to talk to a MAN. Oops!

Instead we head down to Nashkel to kill Neira and recruit Branwen.

Then I have to put on this dumb cursed belt and go back for Safana.

Having another thief in the party allows Imoen to dual-class Mage at level 2.

Let's end today's session with Melicamp dying. Because of course he died.

I've never actually used Safana before. Will she leave the party if I don't go after the treasure? It'll be a while before I'm ready to deal with Sirines and Flesh Golems to get there.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The traps in there will kill her if she just runs in. Guess I'll just try to get a second potion of invisibility or scroll to disable the traps in safety. Comedy option: Try to have Neera cast Invisibility via Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Chainsawdomy posted:

Oh wow, I remember doing this back in 2011 (Beat Baldur's Gate 1, killed every possible mage in the game). Has there been a thread every year since and I've just missed them?

Almost. Last thread was in late 2013.

Nice stats, Taliesyn. You going to dual to Cleric?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I could see an honor for beating BG1 with Rasaad in your party since he's garbage at those low levels. Maybe Neera too since Wild Mages are a huge gamble in ironman. OTOH, Rasaad's quest gets you a 19-Str belt near the end, so he's kind of worth it.

Edit: Blind Leading The Blind - Can only recruit Garrick and Rasaad (requires Overcoming Adversity)

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 6, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

^^^^^ Solo Wizard Slayer? I hope you get far!

Lady the Archer journeys on. Her new friend Safana wants to loot a pirates's cave nearby, so we get right on that.

Safana officially joins the group afterwards. I hope she won't be disappointed when Lady takes off the cursed belt and reveals she was a lady all along!

Looting the cave means I got the CON tome earlier than usual, putting Lady up to 18 CON. Hopefully I can get some good HP rolls.

After that, we faff about for a while, killing basilisks and such. Once everyone gets to level 4 we finally head for the Nashkel mines.

Mulahey isn't too much trouble. Turn Undead kept the skeletons at bay, Sleep put down the kobolds, and Mulahey fell under a hail of arrows.

Back in Nashkel, Nimbul casts Horror on half the party, but succumbs to fear himself when low on HP. I really should have cast Resist Fear, but I'd forgotten Nimbul could cast Horror. On my last run, I'd backstabbed him before he could cast anything.

The goal now is to clear all the wilderness areas before heading to the bandit camp. It'll be long and boring, but I'll be well prepared to head straight into Cloakwood afterwards.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 6, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

She couldn't pickpocket Algernon for his cloak for some reason, which was weird.

I think you gotta have a minimum 50 in pickpocket to even attempt it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

So, uh...
I may have had someone get petrified by a basilisk in a random battle map, and don't have any stone to flesh scrolls. Is this character gone for good, or is it possible to find that specific map again and that character will be there?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yep, I just did it. Had to make the same journey from Firewine Bridge to Beregost a couple times until another Basilisk ambushed me. drat near got my PC petrified this time, but I got Safana back. Which is good because there's no non-evil female replacement for her.

EDIT: Okay there's Alora I guess, but I need a thief way before she's available.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 7, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Great idea! I'll just take a quick jaunt over to Durlag's Tow:suicide:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Lady the Archer and her Teen Girl Squad continue to survive, despite a few incidents along the way.

A funny thing happened, we got ambushed by a basilisk while traveling from Firewine Bridge to Beregost and Safana was petrified. I kind of freaked out since I had no Stone to Flesh scrolls, and I thought Safana would be lost forever if I left her on a random battle map. Turns out that repeating the same journey between Firewine and Beregost eventually landed me on the same map when another basilisk attacked.

Not pictured: Lady being the closest character to the basilisk at the battle start. The run could have ended right there if not for Neera immediately firing off her wand of paralyzation.

We went on to do the bandit camp and most of Cloakwood without any problems (didn't get any screenshots). In the mines, however...

Uhhh...

The Ogre Mage down there confused the whole party just as it died, causing Lady to murder Imoen and Branwen, and nearly doing the same to Jaheira. Was just barely able to pick up their stuff and run back to the Friendly Arm Inn for revivals. These were my first deaths, for the record, if you don't count Safana's petrification.

Back at the mines, we killed Davaeorn despite his efforts to impress us with a sweet backflip. On to Baldur's Gate!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm seeing a lot of problems and near-disasters caused by confusion effects. What's the best way to avoid that stuff at low levels? Just don't cluster up and hope you hit your saves?

I'd say 1. Spellcasters are pretty flimsy so try to kill or disrupt them before they can do bad things to you, and 2. What you said, don't let the whole party get bunched up. Sometimes you have to face a spellcaster in tight quarters, though, and spreading out isn't feasible. Cloakwook Mine was just a really bad place to get jumped by an ogre mage.

Comstar posted:

I'm tossing up who to get as the mage and another fighter or 2nd mage. Yeslick? I already have 2 clerics. Kargin maybe. Minsc and Dynaheir?

I've never taken Xan, is he any good? Depressing as he is.

Xan sucks. Since you seem to be willing to use evil characters, just take Edwin.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 8, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

e: quote is not edit

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Ankhegs are great for xp grinding :colbert:. You just need a mage or cleric since they're vulnerable to Command and Sleep.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Brief update on Lady the Archer.

We did the usual Baldur's Gate stuff, Ramazith and the Nymph, Helm of Balduran, etc. We even did Degrodel's house which got pretty dicey, but with two mages, a cleric, and a druid we had plenty of buffs and firepower to pull through.

Iron Throne mercs demonstrated a critical weakness to fireballs and a mace to the head. Love the action shot of Branwen splattering the last guy here. She becomes quite good with 4th level spells and the ability to cast Holy Power.

Later in Candlekeep Caverns I killed those assholes who ended my last run, and gloated over their corpses.
(Not pictured: getting caught stealing in Candlekeep and having to pay off the guards with all my money)

And now, Lady returns to Baldur's Gate, hopefully to put an end to Sarevok.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Lady the Archer has confronted Sarevok! But did she survive the encounter?

The duchal palace always worries me because you have to protect some NPCs, but it went well.

I blew through the final dungeon with Invisibility, not bothering to fight anything.

And so it was time for the end. Oh god, I'm so bad at this fight.

Semaj died quickly thanks to arrows of dispelling. Then we buffed up and headed for Sarevok himself. And then nearly everyone died. Does protection from fire not protect you from arrows of detonation? With both Angelo and Lady firing them off, it seemed to kill Jaheira and Branwen in a hurry. Lady ran like a coward, sending her thieves and spellcasters to die in her place.

Now alone, she was reduced to running around, occasionally putting an arrow into Sarevok.

But she won! Hurrah!

Final stats (taken just before the final battle):

With over 500 personal kills, more than the rest of the party combined, Lady is a worthy successor to the Lord of Murder!

Honors earned:
Ironling
Purist
Honorable Trader
Battlemaster
Roleplayer

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

psudonym55 posted:

O joy I've run into the big problem with Thieves in BG1 the game has auto leveled Monty

Xzar is however either seriously bugged or rolled gently caress all for hit points as he is level 4 and has 8.

Yeah, Xzar and Montaron you either take at level 1 or not at all since their auto levels are terrible. You may be better off taking Shar-Teel and dual-classing her.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I've never had Melicamp survive without savescumming. Supposedly it's a 50% chance, but it really seems he's more likely to die, though that could only be confirmation bias.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Lady the Archer has arrived in Athkatla!

Oh god, Baldur's Gate 2. I haven't played this in years. I bought the EE last year but never got around to playing it. This'll be almost like a blind run.

The game cruelly does not offer any bows among the starting weapons, and I had to scavenge one from a goblin's corpse.

Yes, Imoen, Khalid was already dead. You were there, you saw him get mangled by hobgoblins!

Anyway, I got out of the starting dungeon and promptly booted Yoshimo and Minsc to the curb. This party is for ladies only.

Nalia was the first new addition to Team Ladies.

Oh hello, new Enhanced Edition content!

Aw man, she's evil. Oh well, I'll take her. I need a proper thief, and Nalia doesn't cut it. A creepy, evil, and possibly brain-damaged thief is better than none.

Welp, I got one evil character, no harm in taking another.

We went to the circus, but it turned out to be a trap! Aerie joined up, filling in the last party slot nicely.

We didn't have any magic weapons to harm the shadows, so everyone focused their attacks on Kalah. He went down and no one got hurt. Well, no one but Kalah. And those innocent people he killed. No one important got hurt anyway.

Next step is probably going to the tombs for Hexxat. She's already threatening to leave the party, but I'm wary of exploring new and unknown content for an ironman run. I'll want to get Mazzy at some point, but don't know yet who I'll kick out for her. Probably Viconia.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Lady the Archer is dead!

Killed by Dragomir the Red during Hexxat's dumb loving quest.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Ugh, I was afraid the EE quests would end your run, Mountaineer. Farewell, Lady. Are you going to keep playing on that save for a bit on the side to learn all the EE stuff?

No, if I do that it'll be with a different character. Archer isn't fun to play in BG2 anyway. I actually kind of like BG1 better, and I already have a fun idea for a new playthrough.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Time to start over with Natsume the Kensai. Those stats took a while to roll, especially since the first time I got 90+ the strength roll was only 18/03 and I wanted 18/50 at least. The plan is to dual-class her to Druid at level 9, which is why she's focusing on spears instead of something better. Also if I die, I'm just going to keep going into BG2 as a normal playthrough. Lady's death showed that I really need to refamiliarize myself with the sequel.

Not gonna post many screenshots this time. So far Natsume has recruited Viconia, Kagain, Edwin, Dorn, and Shar-Teel. Everyone is at least level 2, and they're headed to the gnoll fortress so Edwin will stop complaining.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Is there a mod to add ID and NWN voice sets, or do you just pull the files yourselves?

Arivia posted:

I hope Sleep of Bronze is okay he hasn't updated the OP in ages.

I hope so too. Please come back, OP. You've got a lot of catching up to do!

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I hate that you can never see the battle record after your MC dies. So many deaths leaving me wondering "what!?"

:agreed:
I'm still baffled by how fast my half-orc fighter/thief died at the beginning of the thread. He went from 71 hp to 0 in about 5 seconds.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

The writing in BG is kind of embarrassing in general. I had Safana in my last playthrough and she goes around talking in this sultry voice saying stuff like "I feel so sensual." It's so ridiculous I kept cracking up whenever she talked.

Progress update: Natsume the Kensai has cleared Nashkel Mine and defeated Nimbul back in town.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Today, a very special update from Natsume the Kensai.

Somehow there are two Rasaads in Nashkel.

:lol:

Too bad I'm doing an evil party, because I'd totally be willing to roll with this otherwise.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Clerics and mages/sorcerers can cast Animate Dead as a 3rd level spell. I've made great use of them in my evil run. Edwin casts Stinking Cloud at the enemy while Viconia summons skeletons to run in and murder the unconscious enemies. Skeletons are immune to saves vs. death, you see.

By the way, Natsume the Kensai has made it to the city of Baldur's Gate and completed Dorn's quest.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 13, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

FairGame posted:

Mages don't get it until spell level 5, where you barely get any spell slots (Edwin excluded b/c he's absurd, obviously) and you should be using them for much cooler poo poo like Chaos.

Speaking of: at this point barring catastrophe vs. the Aec'Lectec I'm pretty sure I'll make it to BG2. Is there any reason at all to not have my neutral cleric of helm party up with evil dudes? Other than Mazzy, I can't think of a single good-aligned person I'd want.

Whoops, just assumed mages got it at the same level and didn't double check.

If there's one good character worth using, it's Keldorn. Other than that, there's some useful ones but there are equivalent or better evil characters.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Natsume the Kensai has defeated Sarevok!

Here's Natsume with just about every useful buff I could think of (buff not pictured: Hasted). Also Cursed because she's wielding Backbiter+3.

And here's the money shot. Viconia flat out STUNNED Sarevok with her first hit with Stupefier. Natsume popped a Kai to wail on him for max damage while everyone else held off the other enemies.

Sarevok did not last long after that.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Honorable Trader, Battlemaster, Roleplayer
Dishonors: Afraid of Pain. Because Dorn rolled horribly on HP, we're talking like 13 HP at level 3 for my main front line guy. So I decided to accept the dishonor and lower the difficulty for his further level ups.

Lessons learned from this playthrough: Baeloth owns, Stupefier is OP, and Dorn's favorite hobby is dying repeatedly.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah, multiclassing a whatever/Illusionist is IMO the best reason to play a gnome. Those would've been good stats for a Thief/Illusionist.

You should have gone to the temple east of Beregost. There's no travel time if you're coming from town and (I think) no risk of ambush.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Nope. Anyone know if Sleep of Bronze has been posting at all since then?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Arivia posted:

I took this screenshot because it confuses me. Where could I have met Sarevok for a second time already? After this there's Koveras and the final fight, that makes sense, but I'm lost before that.

You met Sarevok when you were younger and he first visited Candlekeep to study Alaundo's prophecies.

Tiax is neat if you have the mod that moves him to Beregost. He can summon a Ghast, which has most of the advantages of summoning a skeleton with the added bonus of being able to stun enemies. It's really overpowered in the early game, and probably still decent later on.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yes, please start a new thread. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Airon the Half-orc Fighter/Thief died in Candlekeep Catacombs during a botched backstab attempt.
2. Lady the Elf Archer led an all-female team to victory over Sarevok, then died to Dragomir the Red shortly after starting BG2.
3. Natsume the Human Kensai defeated Sarevok with her evil pals, and will soon start BG2. The plan is to dual-class to Druid if she lives that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'll save the update for the new thread, but I'll just say that I forgot how much I hate the early game in BG2. It's just tough because in BG1 I can make a plan of how I'm going to get xp, money, and some good items, but I'm not nearly familiar enough with BG2 to do that. At least I haven't died yet, though Dorn certainly has. That boy sure loves dying repeatedly.

Edit:

enigma74 posted:

Berserkers can't go above 1 pip in longbow but I'm going to be fighting as cowardly as possible. In all my team fights, I keep Enigma way in the back of the fighting, plinking away with the bow and away from any potential danger. I've given all my best defensive items and potions to Enigma, like the girdle of piercing and the ring of protection +1.

Having just taken a Kensai through BG1, I can say reach weapons like spears and two-handed swords are a good way to keep a fighter out of danger most of the time but still contribute in melee. The trick is to make sure someone else is in the front so they draw the enemy's attention first, and only then send in your character. Doing this, my spear-wielding Kensai rarely ever took significant damage. That was Dorn's job of course. That boy sure loves dying repeatedly.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 16, 2015

• Locked thread