Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

open container posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...&abt=0002&abg=1

lmao it's like 2% looking for work 50% watching tv

That's not that surprising consiering that it's real easy to search for a job, especially when you're in a certain fiel an there are so many jobs open in your region

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

TEAYCHES posted:

if you tried to drop off a paper resume where i work theyd get creeped out and tell you to leave. if you were insistent at all theyd call the police

yea basically if you dont know someone you are hosed

the only other decent way to do it if you have no connections is a staffing firm, and if you dont have pretty useful skills and experience you are still hosed

man when i was fresh out of college and decided that working in a museum was a no-go i turned to a staffing firm and spent the next several months playing a runaround with getting them to place me anywhere. like i've got 3 years of office work experience via jobs i did during college and i still had trouble. staffing firms are real dicey.

eventually i just got a gig with my aunt helping her catering company while i do random intermittent work on the side so i can put away cash for grad school

nepotism and social networking is really the only way to get a decent job these days unless you're in some really high-demand field :v:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I don't think most employers even look at applications from random people from the internet tbh.

i honestly have my doubts about it too.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

Actually I edited and published stock market analysis for a little over a year until I realized I hated everything about finance and quit (in late 2007 lol). Sorry my forums posting isn't up to APA standards tho I guess.

shithouse dave you've made several errors in this post alone, please grab your MLA guidebook and turn to page fart

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

GBS needs an APA MLA Chicago Style Grammar Rules Sticky, Lowtax WTF.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Shithouse Dave posted:

i usually just put one of my awesome totally relevant and interesting forums posts on my resume and that does the trick. "rock out with your cock out" scored me a sweet job in the broadcast industry, for example. i expect my thread about my skeleton and poo to bring me great professional success.

I tend to just send them a gif of me browsing the forums to show my prospective employers what i can bring to their company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

EngineerSean posted:

I like this guy Cody who literally slept twenty hours of the day.

Man if that isn't a sign of depression i dunno what is

• Locked thread