Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The world's most dangerous spy, Sterling Archer, and accompanying chickenshit outfit, return for a sixth season!

:siren: Season 6 premieres on FX Thursday, January 8th at 10 PM! :siren:

Preseason Notes

The first four seasons of the show are available on Netflix Instant View in the United States. Season 5 should be up within the coming weeks, but it has been available in other countries for some time now. If you're new to the program, there's a good place to start. If you don't have Netflix, there are surely mirrors out there you can find that will get you every episode.

As faithful followers of the show know, Season 5 was a "reboot" of the traditional formula; Reaction to this was mixed, and that undoubtedly factored in to the show "unbooting" itself and returning to the covert ops and general office shenanigans of years past. Due to real world situations, ISIS changes its name this season permanently so as to avoid drawing controversy. If you were wondering as to an exact reason, creator Adam Reed talks about the name change in this October 2014 interview.

If you're fixing for some Archer before the premiere, the official Archer tumblr has gifs, short clips, and images of events sure to happen this season.

Here's the official trailer for this season, and some teasers for what's to come in future episodes.

I'll link to episode discussions as they happen in this space below so newcomers to the thread can peruse at their leisure without having to sift through too many posts.

Episode Synopses and Discussion Links

Episode 1 - The Holdout
Archer must salvage a crashed plane in a jungle filled with relics from World War II.
Episode discussion

Episode 2 - Three to Tango
An agent from the past causes tension between Archer and Lana.
Episode discussion

Episode 3 - The Archer Sanction
Archer, Lana, and Ray make their way to the top of an assassin's hit list.
Episode discussion

Episode 4 - Edie's Wedding
Pam takes Archer to her sister's wedding but gets side tracked with technical difficulties
Episode discussion

Episode 5 - Vision Quest
The gang gets to work early so they can spend some quality time together.
Episode discussion

Episode 6 - Sitting
Archer's first weekend alone with baby AJ is soiled by a Pakistani intelligence officer
Episode discussion

Episode 7 - Nellis
A rescue mission turns into an out of this world visit to Area 51
Episode discussion

Episode 8 - The Kanes
Lana introduces Archer to her parents; Archer introduces Lana's parent's to high speed chases. Guest voices Keith David and CCH Pounder.
Episode discussion (Come for the Archer episode, stay for the BBQ chat)

Episode 9 - Pocket Listing
Slater has the gang swindle the Durhani royal family and Gillette lends a hand
Episode discussion

Episode 10 - Reignition Sequence
An office romance is interrupted by the Russians.
Episode discussion

Episode 11 - Achub y Morfilod
Lana and Archer want to spend intimate time with each other, which leads them to take a trip to Wales.
Episode discussion

Fan Stuff and Other Cool Things

This reddit user has compiled all the easter eggs from this season here.

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait until the Teletoon feed covers up half the screen with HILARIOUS viewer tweets, that was the best part of last year's premiere.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

At the tail end of the last thread, totally worth a look if you missed it:

xzzy posted:

They've put up a couple teasers on their youtube:

Awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COxqUiplyVw

Not as good, but still good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLoJb8Z5g4

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Pretty stoked for this, but I gotta say Season 5 left me feeling pretty bored with the whole thing.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I should be tired of Pam but I'm not

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man, 10 years ago Teletoon would've never received current episodes of pretty much anything, let alone get the premier of a new season of Archer to air at the same time as in America.

I wonder who came in and kicked it in the nuts, because it seems like they completely switched places with YTV as the "good cartoon network" in Canada.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thought you guys might appreciate this.
http://actionagogo.com/?p=13538

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

From previous thread:

bull3964 posted:

Got my season 5 blu ray today and was a bit annoyed to see that they nixed the digital copy this time around. Between this and FX putting ads in the individual purchased copies from iTunes or Google Play, they kinda make me want to stop supporting them with my money.

Adverts on purchased copies? Holy poo poo, gently caress these people.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Drifter posted:

Pretty stoked for this, but I gotta say Season 5 left me feeling pretty bored with the whole thing.
Same here, without a doubt it was the weakest season and that's from someone completely on board with the season's Archer Vice conceit at the beginning. Never has the show run anything into the ground as badly as Pam's cocaine runner. They stopped being jokes after 3 episodes and it lapsed into this lazy complacency of "yeah she's still doing this! wacky!"

That makes for a pretty low bar to clear to go along with a nice visual upgrade, if the previews are any indication. No idea how teletoon finally got rights to simulcast a new season, that's unprecedented (theory: it's because FX Canada is atrocious)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Same here, without a doubt it was the weakest season and that's from someone completely on board with the season's Archer Vice conceit at the beginning.

Never has the show run anything into the ground as badly as Pam's cocaine runner. They stopped being jokes after 3 episodes and it lapsed into this lazy complacency of "yeah she's still doing this! wacky!"

That makes for a pretty low bar to clear to go along with a nice visual upgrade, if the previews are any indication. No idea how teletoon finally got rights to simulcast a new season, that's unprecedented (theory: it's because FX Canada is atrocious)

Once it became clear that they would never make a dollar (even temporarily) from the cocaine in any way, it lost a lot of the tension.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I enjoyed Archer Vice, as the anything can go wrong, will go wrong vibe the season had was enjoyable. I'll be damned if Pam didn't get annoying as the season went along but she still had funny moments. There was a lot of missed potential there though. This season looks good at least from the teaser for tonight's episode

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I marathoned seasons 1 - 5 not long ago and the quality seemed pretty consistent throughout; season 5 Pam is glaringly poo poo and I'm still not a fan of how the (relatively) everyday bullshit of the first two seasons made way for pure monster-of-the-week style spy shenanigans, if you get my meaning, but there wasn't a big drop in the overall quality of the series, so I'm pretty psyched for season 6.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The airplane youtube posted above has me thinking this season will be good.

Archer being Archer is all this show needs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm still not a fan of how the (relatively) everyday bullshit of the first two seasons made way for pure monster-of-the-week style spy shenanigans, if you get my meaning

Can you explain what you mean? I really don't understand.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Boywhiz88 posted:

Can you explain what you mean? I really don't understand.

The early seasons had a lot more random office shenanigans going on at ISIS headquarters. They gradually did less of that as time went on, especially once Cyril and then Pam were made into field agents.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

hcreight posted:

The early seasons had a lot more random office shenanigans going on at ISIS headquarters. They gradually did less of that as time went on, especially once Cyril and then Pam were made into field agents.

Gotcha. I thought that's what it might mean. I suppose. I mean, I guess it's more of a situation with more of the team in the field but even then you have episodes like Skytanic in the first season where they're all in play. I guess I feel like everything up to VICE was fairly similar.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Totally not an elaborate answering machine this time

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

LOL hologram

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
PSYYYYCHE!

Oh man, the look on your dumb face!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I got some bad news...

Also. Some worse news.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Cool Honda Scrambler Japan or super uncool Pearl Harbor Japan?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Shaping up to be an excellent episode.

I love it when they play with our timelines.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There was this guy, Steve Austin, and he was an astronaut...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Plot is giving me "Hell in the Pacific" vibes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A real thing!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroo_Onoda

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Secret Japanese spa. Awesome

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Brett shoving Mallory was pretty rad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Mike and Vics. Nice.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Robert Denby posted:

Plot is giving me "Hell in the Pacific" vibes.

Such a great movie

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Sneak attack... Typical

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
WE NEED A MINUTE

CAPTAIN SHITNUTS

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
ZIP IT GBAW.

Edit:OH poo poo THE PREVIEW

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Conway returns!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

CONWAY STERN?!

(which is not his real name)

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

13Pandora13 posted:

CONWAY STERN?!

(which is not his real name)

I'm hoping for a full on Luke Skywalker Robot arm.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Pretty sure we've already seen Krieger give him exactly that.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

LostRook posted:

Pretty sure we've already seen Krieger give him exactly that.

Hmmm. I feel like he did, but I forget.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
That was pretty drat good! Well-paced, good character moments, funny seeing the ISIS logo being rolled away in the background... Really an all-around enjoyable episode! I do get the impression Adam Reed is trying to cover all of his bases as far as what he knows fans want with this season, especially with next episode bringing back Conway Stern. Still, I'm along for the ride.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I really thought the old soldier was going to take a bullet right at the end while he was on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Inapropes!

• Locked thread