Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I really enjoyed the Prison Arc, with the fictional Mike Tyson and Che Guevara.

Right now I'm still kind of miffed the mangaka dropped the whole Retsu Kaioh vs American boxing story thread. It's just gone. Poof. Nothing. The Miyamoto Musashi storyline is silly as hell but I can't wait to see him knock heads with the main cast.

Getting into Baki is a tremendous journey but it's a worthwhile one. Every single arc just pushes your expectations a bit further than before.

Spinyback is actually translating the original manga right now if you're into that. It's the same as the OVA film + the anime, but much, much more brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

I think part of those chapters are simply not translated yet. I remember there being a gap in Son of Ogre or whenever that was.

Nah it was just never covered by Itagaki.

Genocyber posted:

Probably he doesn't know and doesn't care. Early on there's a guy who rips out Baki's nerves and Baki is just fine afterwards (also apparently nerves are on the outside of the body going by how it's depicted).

Baki actually has very well-defined rules and power structures. It's not a manga that makes you feel like the author is doing whatever he wants. Rather, you feel like the established rules are being pushed farther with each fight.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

I love this spread.

Itagaki sure knows how to convey a fight.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
If you told me ten years ago that Baki would end up with Miyamoto Musashi using Baki as a sword...

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Liar posted:

Ok I just started reading this series, and I have to ask... Is the translation just stupid, or was the creator loving obsessed with Naruto?

Where are you reading it? Which translation?

Baki has a long history of bad translations.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Yep, Itagaki has sure written himself into a corner after these 24 years!

I do wonder if we'll see Musashi versus Yujiro at some point.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
He respected her because he loved her.

She wandered into the realm of his warrior code.

For that she had to die.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm a bit disappointed that Baki (huge spoilers for the new manga) went down so easily to Musashi. I guess it's character growth that he didn't flip out or something, but I'm so used to this series loving with your expectations when you think a fight is over. This time it actually was over.

At the pace at this manga goes I might have to take a break for a year or two and then pick it up again. It's Bleach-like in terms of pacing.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

OR WAS IT??!!

Holy gently caress did I speak too soon.

This is why Itagaki is the best.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Just read the new series and I am supressing the urge to yawn. Seriously, I don't see how a this can turn out well if it's still going to be centered on Baki and Yujiro and whatever bullshit challenger they can cook up. On the other hand I'd love to see more focus on the side characters (Hajime no Retsu??)

Retsu is one of the author's favorite characters. He had his own boxing side-arc in the last series. Also, he fights Musashi at some point, might be his first major opponent. I read this in a comment somewhere.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
New Baki Dou up on spinybackmanga.

I have to say my favorite fight has to be Baki vs Oliva. The pacman-attack, then them just slugging it out, plus the whole prison arc before the actual fight.

Plus there was this great scene.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I had forgotten about this.

Yujiro will make the best grandpa ever.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Jose posted:

Are they going to clone baki's grandad too because he should be involved. And other famous heroes from history

Yes.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Decided to start reading this on a whim and wow.

Prepare yourself for an incredible journey.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Mary Annette posted:

I don't know what's more ridiculous, that Baby Yuujiro's first instinct is to murder the doctor who delivered him, or that deep down, the author is 100% certain that Baby Yuujiro would be both perfectly capable of and somehow morally justified in murdering the doctor who delivered him.

I love when baby yujiro obtained breastmilk through extortion.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Itagaki stays with the times.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Who the hell is the guy on the last panel of chapter 62?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
For some reason my brain couldn't understand that.

This has been a good fight overall, surprisingly. I was worried it would be pickle 2.0

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Chapter 63 is up:
http://spinybackmanga.com/manga/baki-dou/63

Retsu, please, stop. How far does Itagaki have to mutilate you in this manga until you're satisfied?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Speaking of translations, here's chapter 64 of Baki Dou:
http://spinybackmanga.com/manga/baki-dou/64

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Retsu will have a prosthetic everything.

He seemed to grow his shoulder back.

Chinese martial arts is some crazy stuff.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Isn't Pickle still out there, just wandering Japan?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Baki Dou 65 is out. Good luck connecting to spinyback.

Who could have predicted Retsu's one weakness: getting hit by sharp things.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Retsu ran his course. There's not much more to do with the character. As much as I love him.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No
there will be another super fighter

and Retsu should be there to job.

then miraculously recover through ancient chinese cyborg medicine.
He will be a brain and a spine attached to a Rhino horn powder effigy

Chinese superpowers are pretty awesome in Baki.

One guy is something like 250 years old.
The other survived his face getting ripped completely off.
Retsu somehow regrew an entire shoulder.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Yujiro got owned by Baki's imagination.

Then again Baki's imagination can fabricate prime Mike Tysons out of thin air.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
After a long hiatus, Baki 72 is up on spiny back manga.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I love how Musashi doesn't just no-sell everything.

Things actually gently caress him up.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
You guys are making waiting for the translations very difficult.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

You can read that spoiler, it's translated and has no impact on the current story.

That was amazing.

I always thought Gaia was a stupid character but I could read more of this.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
82 is up.

Yujiro is a goddamn beast. I love how Musashi isn't phased by anything.

This fight is going to be such a cop-out though.

But, somehow, Baki non-fights are always a complete pleasure to read.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I was rereading the scene where Baki's mom met Yujiro. Using the power of his ki or whatever he basically tore her dress to shreds, in her mind only. It reminded me a lot of Musashi's mental swordplay.

God this manga is ridiculous.

Who wants to bet that they'll bring back Baki's Grandpa using the same method to resurrect Musashi?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I love how Musashi is the underdog in all this. What a great series of chapters these have been. I was worried this would be pickle 2.0. I was dead wrong.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Can we warn against non-translated spoilers?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Why did I read Garouden. It's like a poor man's Baki. I love how the protagonis disappers for like 150 chapters.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

It's still by Itagaki which means it's still great even if it's not Baki

It's very liberal with its face smashing. Teeth seem to regrow incredibly fast.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The best part was when Retsu beat up a bunch of boxers for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I didn't know there was a Doppo gaiden.

also

http://spinybackmanga.com/?manga=Baki+Dou&chapter=Chapter+94+Warrior#page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Jack's dentist is going to be pissed.