Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Echoing the ethos of the series, you have to battle your way through the translation to reach the meaning within.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Remember when Usain Bolt quit running and became heavyweight champion of the world.

i love this dumb muscle-fetish series

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
huh i never saw this Tekken 2 opening before

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Fuckin' outstanding.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Whenever scanlation drama comes up I always remember those old passd-around Dragon Ball VHZs that had inter-group fandom drama hardcoded into the credits.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got bored of the Musashi arc, how did it end?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

The hardest Yujiro gets owned is someone being mildly rude at him and Yujiro being unable to murder the guy in time or his son beating him at imaginary soup dinner

Muhammed Ali Jr walking out the door was one of the all-time top moments of any Baki series. Does anyone remember the chapter number so I can read it again?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Biden will see Yujiro and just loving keel over dead

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yo the real swearing in is finally happening.

https://twitter.com/sfy_charl/status/1361550181687156738

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I got the Battle Angel pack a few years ago. There's no reader, they just let you download a ton of .cbz files.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"Being strong is inherently beautiful." There, solved it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I decided to read the whole thing through from the start of Grappler Baki and man it's a hell of a series. Sometimes it feels almost like a more 'standard' fighting comic but then it'll swerve into some insane poo poo while barely breaking a stride like the Yasha Ape and Not-Andre-The-Giant, or suddenly changing from "yeah black people are good fighters and are normal insomuch as anyone in this series looks normal" to showing off the most breath-takingly racist backstory of a dude I've read in years. Yujirou is here and even from his first appearance is the clear final boss but isn't god-tier untouchable until maybe halfway through the first manga and even then he can still get hosed up by a dart-gun and big net. We never did find out who held that door shut did we? Also women don't exist or talk except for like four, and two of them exist to get fed to Yujirou so maybe it's fine there aren't more.

I'm about 100 chapters into the prisoner arc now and it's starting to show more signs of 'modern' Baki because the focus is a lot more on other characters than the Maximum Tournament and just kind of starts wandering around like "Hey this new guy? He's strong too let's watch him for a bit" which is great since Gouki, Retsu, Katsumi get to start being real characters and not just tournament opponents. Hasn't started doing the vox-populi interviews of random civilians yet, looking forward to that.

Did Itagaki ever get in trouble for Not-Antonio-Inoki?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's very funny when during the Muhammed Ali Jr 'arc' after Jr has made Yujirou mad as poo poo, fought in the Kaiou tournament and scored some wins from the supporting cast I guess Itagaki just decides "alright I'm done with this" and everyone comes back and just beats the poo poo outta him over and over until he is wrapped in Looney Tunes amounts of bandages, Doppo makes him cry and it ends with the man himself Muhammed Ali Sr coming back to say "Junior my son I overcame Parkinsons to come beat your rear end".

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Pootybutt posted:

The man thought he could step to the Hanmas, and the universe had to punish him for this.
The fight was two chapters long and Baki just annihilates him instantly, no respect, and moves on to challenge Yujirou while Jr cries backstage as his dad walks away from him. Incredible, nobody else does it like Itagaki.

I'm onto Son of Ogre now and hyped as hell because I remember this was where things got truly crazy.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Finally started the Pickle arc and ooof I forgot it started with Pickle assaulting that lady (a lady with a name no less, in a decade or so we may yet see double-digit number of women in Baki). At least it immediately moves past it and gets to the brady bunch reunion at the treehouse with Yujirou making Katsumi look like a dumbass and walking through plate glass. Everyone except Baki then just goes "yeah we know this guy is a national treasure for the whole world but idc, I'm gonna fight him". I guess the combo of Not-Albert-Einstein, Strydum, and old man Tokugawa is stronger than every government on the planet because the result is Retsu running at a caveman wind-milling his arms and crying before Big Ghost Retsu saves him (temporarily).

edit;

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 30, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Now he can talk about his 4000 Years Of Chinese Martial Arts(TM) to goblins and the rest of us can take a break hearing about how modern Karate is where Kenpo was 3000 years ago.

Zzulu posted:

I feel like the author really took a huge poo poo on Retsu, a lot
I think the author gets bored with some characters and once that happens they will eat L after L until they either slink away from the narrative for years (hi Motobe) or get used for guest appearances if needed like "oh this scene needs a doctor, Kureha is a doctor!".

edit:

Yes! Hahaha!! Yes!!!

Pierson fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 30, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Made it through Son of Ogre and The Big Fight and it kind of does cement that the author really will just straight-up drop anything. Not-Usain Bolt greets Retsu after beating the champ and that's the end of his little boxing escapade because it's time for Son vs Dad. It is a legitimate great fight but it's kind of obvious he really doesn't want Yujirou to actually 100% take the big L. Two funny bits I forgot about are the archaeologists finding the predictions that ancient Egyptians made about the fight, and lots of foreigners praying for Yujirou because he was some kind of weird Robin Hood at some point. I guess they kind for foreshadowed he has a kind of respect for the strong sticking up for the week even if they suffer for it when he talked with Muhammed Ali, but it's still wild they have a bunch of African people appear mid-fight to start bowing down to him.

It's interesting blasting through it all in basically seven days seeing how the Yujirou from Grappler Baki ("gently caress you son, become my meal") becomes the Yujirou here ("thanks for the meal") with so few interactions between them or focus on the big guy. I wonder if it's an intentional softening (well, as soft as Yujirou could ever get) or if it happened unconsciously bit-by-bit over the course of nearly two decades of writing.

Musashi time. Old man Tokugawa will never die until he arranges a fight between God and Satan for the belt.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'd forgotten how fun the Musashi arc was. Musashi himself is great to watch, he has a great personality and charm while still being a psychotic battle god and he has some great back-and-forth with the cast. Slapping Pickle in the face and Pickle going "ah yes a Velociraptor" is cool.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

No Wave posted:

Twenty years of hanayama doing that same freaking punch.
It's a great punch okay.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't think anything will beat the sumo guys and sumo itself getting glazed to the stratosphere, none of whom didn't get a single win, then the guy who was the second incarnation of true sumo getting humiliated by everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I read Ashura but not Omega and this doesn't feel like a fair matchup. What is Ohma gonna do when Baki whips out the triceratops stance?