Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Marty McFly knew the song because it was a classic rock song and he was a student of rock guitar. However, when Marty performed the song at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, Chuck Berry's cousin Marvin called him to let Chuck listen. This would, under normal circumstances, have created a space time paradox resulting in an alternate future, but it didn't. This leads me to believe that Marty actually wrote the song all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

It was miss molly.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BossRighteous posted:

Marty McFly knew the song because it was a classic rock song and he was a student of rock guitar. However, when Marty performed the song at the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, Chuck Berry's cousin Marvin called him to let Chuck listen. This would, under normal circumstances, have created a space time paradox resulting in an alternate future, but it didn't. This leads me to believe that Marty actually wrote the song all along.

But Chuck Berry only ever heard the instrumental part

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BossRighteous posted:

time travel is impossible

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

mookface posted:

time travel is impossible

What are you? The time police?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

This would, under normal circumstances, have created a space time paradox resulting in an alternate future, but it didn't.

Wait, wait. After finishing the song, Marty did return to an alternate future: One where his parents weren't losers, but he was. That's not the universe he was from. He didn't share that Marty's memories.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toiletron 9000 posted:

What are you? The time police?

a time cop just on the space time continuum beat looking for time bandits

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

My Q-Face posted:

Wait, wait. After finishing the song, Marty did return to an alternate future: One where his parents weren't losers, but he was. That's not the universe he was from. He didn't share that Marty's memories.

But, who wrote the song???

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Biff Tannen used the time machine to go back and appropriate rock from the black man. Making his band, Biff and The Manures, the originators of everything rock.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

lol, This thread should be about new alternate 1985 premises. That's a better idea.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

mookface posted:

a time cop just on the space time continuum beat looking for time bandits

HA! Gotcha! Now you have to give me your time machine. It's time law.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BossRighteous posted:

lol, This thread should be about new alternate 1985 premises. That's a better idea.

This was the year of my birth so maybe in alternate 1985 I am born as as the second coming of jesus christ

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
chuck berry wrote the song and would have wrote it regardless of marty. that's why marvin immediately calls up chuck to tell him he found the sound he's looking for. because it's his sound.

a better question is why the universe didn't get destroyed in a time paradox when marty no longer exists. if he doesen't exist he can't go back in time to accidentally prevent his parents getting together so

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

But, who wrote the song???

I don't know, but when Marty and Doc went back from 2015 to 1955, they went back to the past of the already alternate future and alternate Marty was playing the same song, and clearly Alternate Marty didn't write it, But we don't actually know if or how Marty screwed things up for Rock and Roll with his 80s guitar wailing solo, only that ZZ Top some-how ended up in 1885.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Digiwizzard posted:

a better question is why the universe didn't get destroyed in a time paradox when marty no longer exists. if he doesen't exist he can't go back in time to accidentally prevent his parents getting together so

It might have, but he never completely disappeared.

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Like write the script to the Anthony Michael Hall movie?

That movie brings back memories. My wife and I had butt sex for the first time with that movie in the background and we had to stop because of the pain because it felt like she was about to split me in half.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
Right when Marvin got to where he said "Yo Chuck! This is your cousin Marvin! MARVIN BERRY?! You know that new sound you were looking for? Well listen to this!"

However, right when Marvin held up the phone is when Marty went all Eddie Van Halen :rock:, since he was feeling so awesome about not being erased from existence. So, Chuck didn't hear any of the proper version of Johnny B Goode.

Therefore, in the alternate Lone Pine Mall timeline (we're still stuck in the Twin Pines Mall timeline, sorry), Chuck Berry invented all of Heavy Metal.

:black101: QED :black101:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
time travellers helping the original inventor only hasten the process

My Q-Face posted:

presumably even though new timeline marty wasnt the same destitute loser who would hang out with a weird old man in his free time doc brown groomed still took an interest in him at an early enough age to groom him into a proper rentboy so the essential paradox-preventing elements would remain intact
as far as family 2.0 knows their smart, achieving son went out one night and the next morning he was an idiot who like poor people food

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

My Q-Face posted:

It might have, but he never completely disappeared.

thats the weird part though, if you were never born you don't get a wasting disease and then start fading away, you just don't exist and never did. but if he didn't exist he can't prevent his own existence so you get an unresolvable paradox.

Marty fading away represents space time disintegrating at a fundamental level, and also indicates he is jesus

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

“Not a little thing like that! Not a butterfly!” cried Eckels.
It fell to the floor, an exquisite thing, a small thing that
could upset balances and knock down a line of small dominoes
and then big dominoes and then gigantic dominoes, all down
the years across Time. Eckels’s mind whirled. It couldn’t change
things. Killing one butterfly couldn’t be that important! Could it?
His face was cold. His mouth trembled, asking: “Who—
who won the presidential election yesterday?”
The man behind the desk laughed. “You joking? You know
very well. Deutscher, of course! Who else? Not that fool weakling
Keith.We got an iron man now, a man with guts!” The official
stopped. “What’s wrong?”
Eckels moaned. He dropped to his knees. He scrabbled at
the golden butterfly with shaking fingers. “Can’t we,” he pleaded
to the world, to himself, to the officials, to the Machine, “can’t
we take it back, can’t we make it alive again? Can’t we start over?
Can’t we—”
He did not move. Eyes shut, he waited, shivering. He heard
Travis breathe loud in the room; he heard Travis shift his rifle,
click the safety catch, and raise the weapon.
There was a sound of thunder.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Was Eckels played by Ashton Kutcher?

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
My fan theory for why Marty ever hung out with Doc Brown: The Hill Valley Telegraph ran a story about "local inventor builds worlds most powerful amp" and Marty the guitar player just had to go see what the fuss was about

The rest is history

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I feel sorry for you peeps that didn't have a chill as gently caress Mad Scientist physics teacher in High School. We had our own Doc Brown and he gave extra credit for using stick figure diagrams with your solutions.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
Back to the Future's time travel makes no loving sense and Robert Zemeckis is an idiot

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Digiwizzard posted:

thats the weird part though, if you were never born you don't get a wasting disease and then start fading away, you just don't exist and never did. but if he didn't exist he can't prevent his own existence so you get an unresolvable paradox.

Marty fading away represents space time disintegrating at a fundamental level, and also indicates he is jesus
marty disappearing didnt represent space time disintegrating him disappearing was the timeline in which he was never born and never time travelled back resolving itself in realtime as an uninterrupted continuum
doc was unaware of this resolving effect and afraid that time would basically stop at the last chance moment for resolving an unresolved paradox like if it was at any instant literally impossible for george to get with lorraine or if marty time travelled back to the future while time was still in a paradoxical state then time might just have to stop continuing

these movies depict man being able to subvert gods plan and tacitly oppose the catholic church which is why i continue to boycott bttf

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bob James posted:

Biff and The Manures
mods rename me this

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
where did marty 2.0, go when he left 1 pine mall

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I think it was Johnny Ryall

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Shut the gently caress up about back to the loving future

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gently caress Your Website posted:

starting to think you may need to suck a cock, possibly mine

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

gnarlyhotep posted:

I think it was Johnny Ryall

he ain't gonna work on old man peabody's tree farm no more

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress Your Website posted:

But its a solid movie

Axamoto
May 17, 2014
I don't see the paradox. As long as Chuck Berry records Johnny B Goode after the Marty time travel it's all good(e). The only problem would be if Chuck Berry hears the Marty version and thinks "drat someone already thought of my song, I can't record it now." In that case Marty has "killed his own grandfather".

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Gohnny B Joode did.

He sung it so people would think its his real name, and he had a normal name and not a hosed up one like Gohnny.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

gnarlyhotep posted:

starting to think you may need to suck a cock, possibly mine

heavy...

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

a starwar betamax posted:

where did marty 2.0, go when he left 1 pine mall

marty 2.0 had his poo poo together like the rest of the 2.0 mcflys, so when he went back to 1955 he went straight to doc brown's place instead of screwing around, and so he didn't gently caress up his parent's original meeting. so history played out like it was "supposed" to and george and lorraine grew up to be losers like in the start of the movie. so when marty 2.0 went back to 1985 he had to live with a lovely poor version of his family for the rest of his life. basically the cool rich non-loser marty got owned by the timestream

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

NadaTooma posted:

Right when Marvin got to where he said "Yo Chuck! This is your cousin Marvin! MARVIN BERRY?! You know that new sound you were looking for? Well listen to this!"

However, right when Marvin held up the phone is when Marty went all Eddie Van Halen :rock:, since he was feeling so awesome about not being erased from existence. So, Chuck didn't hear any of the proper version of Johnny B Goode.

Therefore, in the alternate Lone Pine Mall timeline (we're still stuck in the Twin Pines Mall timeline, sorry), Chuck Berry invented all of Heavy Metal.

:black101: QED :black101:

I like your theory, but Vernon Reid showed up much later than Chuck Berry.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I wish I could time travel to the year 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i madea television travelleri t allows me to travel through human contsstructs like television and its remarkably smiilar to my earlier design,m of a tim trevelling deviFAGGOITS

• Locked thread