Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Is hong kong gross like these other places? Or nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Rodnik posted:

Creating artificial forests with zero biodiversity is extremely fuckin bad.

What specifically is so bad about it? Like I understand it's not better than a normal forest but what's the fear with these?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jonad posted:

This is it basically. Normal forests have a mix of trees so that if one species goes into decline another species can take its place. But if Treebola breaks out in a monoculture it will kill all the trees in the forest faster than another species can supplant it, so you wind up with a dead forest that is vulnerable to being desertified because there's nothing left to hold the soil together. Since these forests are being planted in areas that are already undergoing desertification, they're basically hosed.

China is screwing itself in the long term because the need to feed their population is over-stretching their water resources. They need to irrigate enough land to feed a billion people but they have the same amount of renewable freshwater as the US, a country a third China's population. What makes it worse is that 80% of the freshwater water is in the south, so northern China (Beijing area) is drying up.

Cool, that's pretty interesting. Thanks for explaining.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Chef has to be talked down from electricity pylon after threatening suicide because a colleague complained a meal was too salty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2918142/Chef-talked-pylon-threatening-suicide.html#ixzz3PNNn6Awl

quote:

A chef had to be talked down from an electricity pylon after threatening to commit suicide because a colleague complained that his meal was too salty. The cook, named Gang, climbed up the high-voltage pylon in a fit of despair after claiming he was scolded for more than 20 minutes for making a bad dish in Zhengzhou, China. Firefighters inflated a huge crash mat under the pylon, while the restaurant called Gang’s wife to come to the scene. She tried to call his mobile in an effort to persuade him down, but he threw his phone to the ground. It was only when the restaurant arranged for Gang’s colleague, Fang, to apologise for making the complaint that he finally agreed to come down. Firefighters used a ladder to bring him down after more than two hours up the pylon. Gang said: ‘He (Fang) brought a table of friends and I kind-heartedly cooked them dishes. ’But Fang scolded me for more than 20 minutes in public for making a dish too salty.’

Lmfao. What a soft country.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

This goes back to maybe the last thread where people were talking about how cheating in schools is such a problem in China and even when they come to American universities. Like the students who rioted at that school because they weren't allowed to cheat.

So my question is, when you hear about people saying "GAH The Chinese students are outperforming Americans and the rest of the world on standardized tests" and blah blah blah. Is any of that true or are they just cheating really good or is it just people fear mongering or whatever that word is?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

it's 100% bullshit

they have students memorize the answers to a standardized test and that's basically it. no critical thinking, no writing, just memorizing reams and reams of facts

like when you hear people complain about industrial education and how public education was originally designed to produce replaceable factory workers, that's literally what these countries are like. we stopped doing that for a very good reason, and the people who think going back is a good idea are dumbfucks.

adjusted for income and family background american public schools are as good as any other country's. there really isn't anything wrong with them

Genius

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

How do you go to school 15 hours a day 90+ hours a week and still have to cheat on everything you do? No, wait don't tell me.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

:captainpop: thats a lot or freakin drugs!

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

masturbatorium

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

spud posted:

:nms: If you love dogs :nms:

[spoiler][timg]http://i.imgur.com/QbaAOoE.jp

Why do these dogs look like sweet potatos? Are they like formaldehyded?

e: idk why the spoiler tags aren't working

modnote: don't use spoiler tags just link the image you drat idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

If "real" chinese food is sogood why do so many chinese people come to AMERICA and open up chinese food restaurants with supposedly "American" chinese food? Gotta hear both sides

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

If you get murdered by a swan you're a bitch

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I hope the Chinese continue to eat each other until there is only one fat lord left

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

burritolingus posted:

Nobody is saying it's okay.

People are saying "when you're pointing a finger at China, maybe look at your own country because it's also mistreating animals" which resulted in others flipping out and defending a lot of equally lovely behavior because that behavior wasn't being done by the Chinese but rather one of their own, the message being "well it's okay when we do it."

This isn't about our own countries. This is about making fun of China.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

How dense do you have to be to not comprehend that there are certain simple truths about things. Not everything is subjective and some things are universally just plain better than others. For instance

Dogs > pigs
The rest of the world > China

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Lmfao

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

lol

That being said, this is actually the best advice ever given on SA in a China thread

you should always be 100% prepared to leave literally immediately at a seconds notice, especially in a country like China.

What're you De Niro in The Heat? If poo poo gets bad in China you should have to die there. Don't go to lovely places if you aren't ready to die

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

We do that tho

Yeah but we're allowed to do that because we're America

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Are contracts even valid in China?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imh2pjS6-kY

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

Shasha is my wife's little kid name (the name Chinese people give their small kids so that if they die early it's not as sad)

?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

can someone repost that documentary about china? i didnt get to watch it but i remember some posts saying something about it pissing off the govermnet

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

That's it, thanks

Blistex posted:

Literally every documentary and news story about China pisses off the government. You're going to have to narrow it down a bit.

Haha, well any others that REALLY piss them off?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

More

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

so after this is all settled how many people will be given a mock trial and executed for taking bribes to avoid safety inspections etc

I'm really expecting poisoned milk 2: electric boogaloo

How many people live in China?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Do the Chinese really still rock bush?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Fear of pubes

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

etalian posted:

are you pregnant with the next messiah?

OP said "came to me" not "came in me"

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Wendigee posted:

you are no fun

Oh I thought I was being fun :-(

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Irradiation posted:

Who is Xi Dada, and what does he do?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Please stop talking about math if you aren't going to make fun of the Chinese while doing so :mad:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Don't worry the People's Liberation Army Navy is on the way to intercept them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM65JpsvN5M

MORE

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

**WHEN CHINA RULES THE WORLD**, we all may be lucky enough to work for this guy, who I have seen numerous times smoking like this outside my old apartment complex.

As Martin Jacques says, the world will become more Chinese. So park illegally, ignore intellectual copyright laws, and take a smoke break every 35 minutes like your future boss, this guy.

Good form. Russia.jpg would be proud.

Awesome pictures, anyone else living in China should do the same. Especially with hookers

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

This is the best thread on the Internet I just want all of you who have contributed to know that. You're all amazing

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Haier posted:

A rich girl with a high paying job and good education asked me why my iPhone case did not have the little cut-out to show the Apple logo so everyone else knows I am using an iPhone. She thought I should get a new case that shows the logo, because then strangers will know the power of my money. I LOLd at her Chinese thinking.

It kind of makes sense to them, because it's expensive for them and they all have to buy phones unlocked and full price, so showing it off is kind of a right at how bad they are spending money or good they are at saving, depending on the circumstance. In the West we take it for granted that we get a new phone at every contract signing and never have to pay for even the latest of phones, so brand recognition means jack poo poo most of the time even if people do buy unlocked phones in the West. I still think it's funny though.

That crazy bitch that told me a couple months ago that I was using a fake head in video chat tried to add me again on Weixin. I added her and she immediately wanted to video, so I did and she squinted at the image of me for about three whole minutes while I waved and let her be insane. When it ended, she again said I was using a fake head and it is not the real me, and I am the same guy that scammed her 5 years ago and now I am trying to scam her again (she added me...) and dupe her of her money and body. I told her I am not the same scammer, but I will dupe her of her body if she has free time. She got upset

PLEASE GIVE ME MORE STORIES

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Me too. Haier please post as much as you can. The story about the girl thinking you had a cardboard head is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Just give me all the silly interactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Haier posted:

Whenever I get to China I have to eat out until I get my kitchen set up (if it's empty when I arrive) and I always feel like poo poo after a little while. It's partially due the extreme oil and salt amounts, but the quality of the food is so bad. It bums me out about the air, water, soil, and food quality on a constant basis and makes me feel like it really detracts a lot of points of my time in China (if I had to rate it on a scale of 1-100). I feel like I am doing lasting damage to my body eating here. At the same time, I wonder if I married and had kids with a Chinese woman, even taking her out of China, how much of a chance will I lose her later to some cancer or health issue from her first 30 years of life in China? That kind of thing frightens me. It's like getting a new car off the lot that comes with half-deflated tires and rusty breaks, but you don't realize it until later when an accident happens. Diarrhea and food poisoning are seriously just a way of life in China, a weekly occurrence. Every cold and flu, runny nose, and cough are immediately "fought" with a variety of antibiotics from birth, with studies proving regular antibiotic use basically gives cancer and fucks up the body beyond repair. This country is out to kill the people by their own No Why and no education or logic about what they are doing to themselves.

More. Anything. Everything. I love you

no why

• Locked thread