Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

smooth jazz posted:

There's over a billion people in China so yea you're gonna get some zany folks every now and then. Hats off to old farmer.

Can I ask a question about toilet paper?

I see signs in a lot of public toilets saying not to throw toilet paper in the toilet and to use the wastebasket instead.

Really?

I'm to throw my sopping diarrhea rags in the open wastebasket or where should I draw the line?

God forbid I back up a toilet in China.

Old plumbing doesn't handle toilet paper well. Sorry you don't understand how technology works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
in 4761 years americans will be torturing dogs to make their dick hard

makes you think

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

quote:

One person wrote: 'Hey hey hey! I’m just a goose. Are you trying to get to the moon driving this fast?!!!'
lol!!! good one

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

sincx posted:

What are the dogs going to do after their bowls get filled up?

have a shower

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Since this thread is full of whiteys that give Good Advice: what is the best way to avoid liquifying your organs after every meal on a trip to China? I will be going to Wuhan in the next few years to visit my SO's family and would rather not spend it all on a toilet after years of boring bland Americanized food

E. On an aside apparently her family was shocked that I am thin because when they heard she was dating a white boy they all assumed I was 300lbs because america

opium is a pretty good cure for diarrhea, smoke it up about 30 minutes before meals

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
so when china inevitably becomes a post apocalyptic wasteland and I'm there paid in usd do I get a cool epic pig mount or do I get torn apart and fed to epic pig mounts

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
it looks like the secret to happy life has been found. ride pig, regardless of time, race, or sex, you are happy

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Looks like some photos taken showing the results of a bunch of lovely factors on top of the KMT taking all the food that was actually left. There's actually a lot of cool pictures on this site, worth going through.

http://www.china-underground.com/magazine/30-dramatic-images-of-the-1942-henan-famine

quote:

Henan Province was hit by a terrible famine between the summer of 1942 and the spring of 1943 that led to the death of 3 million people (other sources report 1 million deaths).

Another three million people then had to move to other regions to escape hunger. Famine was caused by strong drought, the ongoing destruction of fields by swarms of locusts, the domestic demand for supplies for the troops engaged against the Japanese but also by the unreasonable demands of the government who practically took all goods of the local farmers. A poor harvest turned into a colossal tragedy.

American photographer and Time correspondent Theodore White gave us an eye witness account, since Nationalist government in Chongqing decided to hide it. There were reports of cannibalism and White said: "In the mountain districts there were uglier tales of refugees caught on lonely roads and killed for their flesh. How much of this was just gruesome legend and how much truth we could not judge. But we heard the same tales too frequently, in too widely scattered places, to ignore the fact that in Honan human beings were eating their own kind."

I liked this one, tons of pictures of the Chinese Tigers (training in Arizona):

http://www.china-underground.com/ma...a-against-japan

aeglus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 18, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

This is pretty rad. Pre-Mao pictures of china are usually badass, I want more.

Shanghai, 1937. Japanese soldiers trying to teach dead Chinese people that they should have realized it is better to be alive.

Shanghai, 1937. Chinese soldiers resisting the Japanese.

Shanghai, probably 1937. Japanese soldiers pretending to play carnival games.

Shanghai, not sure on the date but probably 1937. Japanese soldier shows a Chinese man some sword tricks. "what a strange trick"

Shanghai, 1937. Japanese celebrate Mission: Accomplished. You can tell they are Japanese because they don't have those really convenient rotating circle tables that are pretty awesome.

Shanghai. Your everyday police dude during the war.

Shanghai, 1946. Last time I was there was maybe 2007 (another Fudan University student). The funny thing is that as old as this picture is, I can instantly recognize where it was taken (The Bund, basically the European area on the river).

Lucky Jewish girl in Shanghai with her friends.

Jewish refugees playing some football and happy to not be in a death camp.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ed-himself.html

quote:

In an audacious heist worthy of a Hollywood plot - a librarian at a leading Chinese fine arts gallery is accused of stealing 143 paintings by grandmasters over the course of two years and replacing them with his own forgeries .

Xiao Yuan, 57, told a court in southern China yesterday that he had substituted the famous works while overseeing a gallery within the library of the Guangzhou Academy of Fine Arts between 2004 and 2006.

The substituted art included landscapes and calligraphies by some of China’s most vaunted artists, including a work by Bada Shanren, “Rocks and Birds”, which is worth an estimated 45 million yuan (£4.7 million).

In his defense Xiao told Guangzhou People’s Intermediate Court that the theft and forgery of art predated his employment and was commonplace at the library.
Xiao said he realised just how rampant the issue was when he noticed some of his own fakes had been replaced by new knock-offs.

“I realised someone else had replaced my paintings with their own because I could clearly discern that their works were terribly bad,” Xiao said in a video of the hearing posted on the court’s website.

During the hearing Xiao pleaded guilty to a corruption charge, apologised to the university, colleagues and family and said he deeply regretted his crime.
Between 2004 and 2011 Xiao sold 125 of the paintings for more than 34 million yuan (£3.5 million) at the Guangzhou branch of China Guardian Auctions, one of China’s leading auction houses. Xiao used the money to buy property and other paintings.

The 18 remaining stolen artworks in Xiao’s collection are estimated to be worth more than 70 million yuan (£7.2 million). The works had not been sold because the auction house dismissed them as forgeries, Xiao said.

Xiao began working at the university library in 2003 when he was hired to digitalise the gallery’s collection of paintings and calligraphies.

As chief librarian he was privy to a set of master keys, giving him access to the gallery at weekends when it was closed to the public, according to Southern Daily, a state-run newspaper. This allowed Xiao to obtain the genuine paintings and replace them with his ersatz work unnoticed.

Xiao was finally caught when a former student of the Guangzhou Academy of Fine Art noticed the university seal on artworks for sale in Hong Kong. Xiao was arrested in May 2014 and will be sentenced at a later date.

Other works stolen by Xiao include paintings by Qi Baishi, an influential 20th century artist famed for his watercolours depicting nature, and Zhang Daqian, who painted landscapes.
Zhang was himself considered a master of forgery and painted in the style of many celebrated forebears including Bada Shanren.

A number of high profile art forgery cases in recent years have proved that the tradition is far from dead in China.

In 2013, the 60 million yuan (£6.4 million) Jibaozhai Museum in northern China was forced to close after it was revealed that its collection of some 40,000 ancient relics were almost all knock-offs.

Last year, Pei-Shen Qian, a 75-year-old Chinese-American painter accused of forging works by Jackson Pollock and Mark Rothko, became the centre of one of the biggest art fraud scandals in recent American history.

Prosecutors in New York alleged that Qian had produced dozens of worthless fakes that were sold by two Spanish brokers at prestigious galleries for tens of millions of dollars. Before he was taken into custody Qian fled to China where he is assumed safe from prosecution because China and the US don’t share and extradition treaty.

In an interview with Bloomberg in Shanghai in 2013, Qian said: “The FBI said they were done by the hands of a genius. Well that’s me. How strange it feels!”

I like this alternate view of Chinese art history where it keeps replacing itself a few times every year and everyone thinks they're the smart one doing it for the first time when the originals probably disappeared ages ago.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
on the .jpg side, taylor swift is launching a clothing campaign for her new tour "1989" stopping at shanghai

:boom:

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Sappo569 posted:

That is one seriously smug bird

no one ate him yet, deserves to be smug

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

the halo in the background lets me know that this is photorealistic chinese jesus

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

GotLag posted:

Anyone heard about this? English-language internet appears to know nothing.

It looks like the guy is trying to use the pump as a flamethrower to set the attendant on fire, fortunately he does not succeed.

dude actually just had a really powerful vacuum hose and was putting out a fire, you can see he's sort of embarrassed that he accidentally sucked up an attendant

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

like how only one person there looks happy but he looks like it is the best day of his life

shanghai 1990

shanghai 2010

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

suztan posted:

:eyepop:

That, uh, that doesn't really seem normal.

yeah gout sucks

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Unless you live in a major international city already (like NYC, London, etc), it's a nice way to live in one while saving money. Plus living in massive city like Shanghai/Tokyo/Seoul is a loving blast though settling down and having a family there sounds like a bad idea.

For smaller cities then dunno. I lived in the rear end end of Japan before and it was pretty bad. I only spent a week around Langzhou and while it was nice, I don't think spending more than that would have been all that much fun. I can see other people finding a smaller city much better for them but there's plenty of those anywhere.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Amorphous Blob posted:

I know Japan kept trying to invade China but why do other asian countries hate each other? And how does it compare to other racial prejudices?

Well in Taiwan's case it is because they are the KMT, which lost the Chinese Civil War against Mao and the only reason the KMT exists is because they ran off to an island and then Mao's invasion of Taiwan was comically bad to the point that by the time they'd be able to invade again the USA decided to protect the anti-communist forces in Taiwan.

There are other factors in play but basically Mao sort of just let Japan and the KMT fight each other then he picked up the pieces and kicked out the KMT once they were all finished up. WWII China was pretty fractured.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

someone should tell them that mercury alone isn't an indicator for protein content

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

GotLag posted:

Are they sure it's not just spiked with melamine?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-18456795

quote:

A major dairy firm in China has recalled some of its baby formula products after an "unusual" level of mercury was found by the country's product quality watchdog.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

china has that covered as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMIWq8_Ezjc

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Tuxedo Gin posted:

the one i linked happened in china

but yours ate a whole building, mine just ate a girl

yeah i mean china has homes covered as well, does not discriminate between girls or buildings, very harmonious

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
China tries "this one trick" for escalators
(you might hate this)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErVaW_ENp30

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Tuxedo Gin posted:

also 90% of people, when asked what are their hobbies, reply with "sleep"

good hobby

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yes we all enjoy sleeping but all non-autists understand that when somebody asks you your hobbies or what you like to do, they are probing to get to know you and your personality. answering "sleep" tells them: 1) you are boring as gently caress, or 2) you do not understand basic social interactions

same with the "what are you doing?" > "chatting with you" poo poo.

trains are cool too

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

starting to think that maybe this is something cops do for fun in china
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4CDbaq5Cxk

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

kung fu hustle sequel lookin good

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Moridin920 posted:

is there a bunch of private schools for the rich that aren't total poo poo or what?

i feel like how are they ever going to be innovative in their economy versus just copying everything forever if their entire education system is just 'memorize for tests.' Surely someone somewhere who is slated to be the next chairman or whatever is learning for real?

There are a bunch of private and international schools for the rich. The international schools *probably* do a decent job at a real education, but are insanely expensive. Typically it's expats and rich Chinese in those. I'm going off to work in one so I guess I'll see how it goes!

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

JaucheCharly posted:

That's too awesome to be true. Looty.

shoulda called it booty

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
taiwan truly is best china

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlEz_PLFBIg

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Accretionist posted:

Jesus, I wonder what they'd say about Americans cities? The metro area I live in has about a quarter million people, and the city proper has <100K.

I've been staying in Houston for the summer and it feels like the middle of nowhere compared to a big Asian city.

You live in a very tiny village.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Fojar38 posted:

whats rene chang up to these days

being a lecher

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

WarpedNaba posted:

Learned a new term today, pity it's an MRA one.

quote:

The idea of an "alpha widow" is something that pops up occasionally here on TRP, and I think it deserves some attention and consideration. The concept is actually very central to why we criticize the CC and why it's harmful for women's long-term mating strategy.

i stopped reading there

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
not my pics but I really liked the whole gansu province area when I was there

china mongolia border

acid hills

ant farm

this was the view most of the time once we were out west of langzhou (really nice small city, about the size of chicago I think?)

apparently this is the westernmost portion of the wall, I don't remember seeing an end though

this is how people looked. they did not speak a word of chinese. we had two translators and usually one would translate to the other who would then translate in chinese to our group guide who would then translate to us. pretty obvious that they don't look chinese at all. everyone spoke mongolian or tibetan once we were out into the real gansu area.

wish I had my other laptop so I could share the pics I took. most fun things were being the first foreign visitors at a tibetan monastery in 5 years (they had a trash pile full of beer and cigs and were as chill as you could expect) and the mongolian border where they let us ride the mongolian horses (they're really small but not assholes like other horses, really amazing how well they react to directions if you ever rode on a dumb horse before)

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Grand Fromage posted:

Lanzhou has good food but unfortunately also the most polluted city in China. Gansu is coal country.

it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than shanghai when I was there, but merely on houston levels of pollution which still isn't amazing so I'm sure it gets a lot worse some other time during the year

Langzhou is famous for noodles but if we're talking gansu then it's all about yak burgers and yak soup and yak yak (yak is good)

acid hills were definitely pretty in person but that pic is definitely acid induced

oh and if you have never been to the countryside before (USA meaning SW Grand Canyon area) then gansu border with tibet/mongolia is awesome at night because there are so many stars that there is more white than black and you can see the milky way get its namesake (it MOVES)

edit: it looked MUCH more impressive than this but only photo of the night sky around gansu I can find, probably poo poo because it's in a spot with lights:

aeglus fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 12, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Grand Fromage posted:

Chinese air pollution is seasonal. If it's not winter then the pollution isn't that bad most places. Winter is when the apocalypse comes.

Yeah in that case makes sense. Shanghai for me in 2007 was 40+ every day, 100% humidity and random dust storms out of Morrowind during summer but Langzhou was fairly nice for a week. Countryside obviously was nice too but not a fair comparison.

edit: and of course it's probably similar to Seoul where winter is death zone grey every day all day

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

5er posted:

This picture is great! Did you take it?

My laptop with all my pics from my China trip is still in Korea at my friend's house. Wish I could say that one is mine. I just found some pics close to the spots I saw.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

drat I was just about to do that

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I went to the chinese embassy today and would have taken pics but it looked like a standard embassy and only took 20 minutes to start processing my visa. There were a couple Falun Gong protesters looking for signatures for something but I sort of wanted to tell them if they want to go with the "chinese government harvests organs for profit" route they should take after abortion protesters and make fake videos since apparently that works better.

so here are some random pics of the hangzhou area instead, was surprised that there might be some areas on the coast of china that aren't urban wastelands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
its almost like people want the apology to mean something more than a couple words

• Locked thread