Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
I recently had maaco paint a mirror for me that I purchased from a pull a part off ebay. It was VERY reasonable. However there was SLIGHT over-spray on the the rubber trim near the front windshield.

I would like to pay to have my dads 2003 GMC Sonoma resprayed as a gift since he helped me with the cost of my mirror/paint for Christmas. Im not looking for show room quality, I have spoken to friends in the business and they say maaco sucks at body work, but paint is decent.

any suggestions? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
From the sound of it you'll also be giving your Dad a bit of overspray as a gift too. ;)

I've always heard they can be "ok", but that it varies from shop to shop and that overspray is often an issue. What I've seen first hand has confirmed that, though I've never actually taken a car there myself.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you really wanted to go hog wild mask the car and tow it to them :v:

Also enjoy orange peel and thin paint.

comedy option: newspaper/320grit/compressor/hvlp/2:1rustoleum/mineralspirits

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 11, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Extra posted:

Also enjoy orange peel and thin paint.

In their defense, the amount of orange peel I see in showrooms is pretty atrocious. What's wrong with wanting a glass smooth paint job? drat cheap oems.

From the sounds of it, they should be ok for what you want. Wont blow you away but will be miles ahead of peeling and faded paint. On an older truck shouldn't be an issue. If you can try doing some masking yourself?

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
This is what I have heard, if you are willing to do the masking yourself its 100x better, I am sure I could buy the materials, and
read online how to do it

Captain Cannabis fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 11, 2015

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
According to the episode of Undercover Boss that I just watched, the paint guy takes pride in the paint job on the trashcans he does for Disney World. Like, he really, really cares.

Maaco has that going for them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEAR RICHARD posted:

According to the episode of Undercover Boss that I just watched, the paint guy takes pride in the paint job on the trashcans he does for Disney World. Like, he really, really cares.

Maaco has that going for them.

Did he get a set of breast implants at the end of the show too?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I used to own a car the previous owner had gotten repainted at Maaco.

The paint would flake off the bumpers a little more every time I hit it with the hose while washing it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It might be worth your while to get quotes from a couple of independent auto paint shops around you, in addition to Maaco.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Expect a drip or two, expect a bit of overspray.
I think it is a fine route, assuming your original paint is jacked.

It doesn't make sense to put a $1,000 paint job on a $2,000 truck.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

Safety Dance posted:

It might be worth your while to get quotes from a couple of independent auto paint shops around you, in addition to Maaco.

Seconding this. I got a half-decent spray for $500 on my ZX2 that looked awesome with a little wax, and that helped me dump the turd.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 12, 2015

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
So their estimate was 850, for their "10yr paint job"... I think im going to go with it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Captain Cannabis posted:

So their estimate was 850, for their "10yr paint job"... I think im going to go with it.

What is that in human years?

v- :doh: Of course!

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 15, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

What is that in human years?

No, painted by a 10 year old. Likely to last 6 months.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist

Powershift posted:

No, painted by a 10 year old. Likely to last 6 months.

Nah just a Mexicano, but I believe in him!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just make sure the mustache isn't fake. Don't want to violate any labor laws.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Powershift posted:

Just make sure the mustache isn't fake. Don't want to violate any labor laws.

If its fake but still looks good at 10ft..

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Illegal immigration and child labour laws cancel each other out, it's fine.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

InitialDave posted:

Was this ironicposting because I can't tell with you anymore..

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ah, the subtle implication that you could before.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
In the 90's I had my 1976 Nova painted at an Earl Sheib (similar to Maaco) and it came out awesome BUT:

the old wrench monkeys at the shop I worked at helped me take off the bumpers and trim, and I sanded and rattle canned primered any rough areas. It came out awesome, well as awesome as a $200 paint job could be.

Similarly my friend had his 67 Mustang painted there and got the higher end paint job with metallic. The paint flaked off the front air dam a few times but we kept taking it back and they fixed it. Again in the 90's.

I mean they have been in business 30-50 years you just have to have the right expectations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The gently caress is being discussed in this thread? I only understand there's something about paint but what the flying gently caress is a maaco?!?! Everything else is utter alien gibberish

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

InitialDave posted:

Ah, the subtle implication that you could before.

True, you are in the UK and are self loathing (with exposed timing).

Cat Terrist posted:

The gently caress is being discussed in this thread? I only understand there's something about paint but what the flying gently caress is a maaco?!?! Everything else is utter alien gibberish

"Fat Pizza" Painting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

I think it's like a fast food place but for paint jobs. Though this is America, so they likely sell fast food as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it is the place that used to advertise $299 paint job. It is totally location specific how long the paint will stay on the car, much like a Wendy is location specific the chance you will get a rodent instead of a meat patty on your cheap burger.

I though about gettng my miata turned back to smurf there but found a craigslist lady that seem better for just a little more.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
You are all crushing my dreams. I will update this thread one day, with this glorious maaco paint job.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

West SAAB Story posted:

"Fat Pizza" Painting.

What, big tits and RX3 burnouts?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Whatever you do, get the quote in writing before they touch the vehicle.

There is a good chance they'll come back with a bill at double the price hoping you'll fight it down to 50% over the quote and think you've won.

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist

InitialDave posted:

I think it's like a fast food place but for paint jobs. Though this is America, so they likely sell fast food as well.

poo poo. The maaco was behind a McDonalds, this does not bode well.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cat Terrist posted:

What, big tits and RX3 burnouts?

Pretty much. Also, lovely product.

Captain Cannabis posted:

poo poo. The maaco was behind a McDonalds, this does not bode well.

Get the McDouble paint job. You get half the cheese, but you save about 10%.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I had my Mazda 626 painted by Maaco for about $500 and it was fine. It held up for the four years that I had the car. They wanted extra to do the door jams but it wasn't worth it for me.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's just like a lot of low paying places, some have crap workers and some have good workers. And some are managed well and some are barely managed at all. It really is like McDonald's, I'm sure you all know of one that has consistently great fries and is fast and clean, and you know of the one that nobody should really go to because you get old fries and it takes forever and they never mop the lobby.

Back in the 90's when he started his business, my dad found a Maaco shop with a decent manager, who picked great talented body and paint guys who didn't have enough experience to move on to work at a dealership or custom shop. So my dad had every one of his rebuild cars painted there and they came out fantastic every single time. it's why my dad became successful quite frankly. People would overlook the salvage title because the car looked absolutely pristine. Then after a few years the manager moved on and they started delivering cars with bad orange peel, visible primer through thin spots, entire trim pieces/door handles painted instead of being masked, overspray on all the glass, etc etc etc. That was about the time my dad had enough profit to invest in his own paint booth and hire his own staff. Then the work was great until the body guy went on a heroin bender and would show up at noon high as a kite. There were some very wide panel gaps during those days let me tell ya.

It's hit and miss and unfortunately most of us don't get enough cars painted to know which Maaco is good or not.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wonder if I could buy a fuel filler door for my NC miata to replace that retarded chrome thing that came on it and have it sprayed in brilliant black at maaco? How bad could they gently caress up a fuel door?

Captain Cannabis
Sep 30, 2005

Professional Bongologist
The location I found seems to have good reviews, I agree that they are hit or miss for sure. Hope things go alright.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As with anything else paint related prep is 99% of doing a good job. Without it, you're going to end up with a mid 90s Ford full-size paint job in short order (i.e. you'll be pulled over for littering when envelope sized chunks of paint begin shedding from every surface of the car with no provocation.) With good prep, it'll probably be fine as long as the guy behind the gun isn't a complete idiot.

Prep includes the final wash/solvent clean BTW - once I made the mistake of thinking a pre-primed part could simply be painted after being removed from the shipping box without following the "wipe it down with solvent x to remove any grease and oils" directions on the paintcan. The first time I leaned on the car, a rivet on one of the pockets of my jeans left a long trail of pea-sized chips behind. White car, primer was black. :argh:

The worst part of a paint job done with poo poo prep like that is that if it peels and chips, you have to get all of it off before you can repaint it properly, because otherwise, it'll just peel and chip off with the newer paint job on top. Once the paint's down, you can't really go back and put proper prep underneath it...

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The prep is why I haven't ever bothered painting my Ranger. The body is solid but it's covered in a million dents and dings plus it's got way uneven panel gaps from being in an accident before I got it.
I've been holding out for a same color truck at the junkyard. I'll just buy a new door, fender and hood to replace the primer colored aftermarket ones on there now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Hahahaha, I'll be stealing this, thanks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bugdrvr posted:

I've been holding out for a same color truck at the junkyard. I'll just buy a new door, fender and hood to replace the primer colored aftermarket ones on there now.

I have been fixing the bodywork on my Forester exactly the same way :effort::hf::effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I did the paint myself on my motorcycles and learned that it takes a million hours and makes your a grouchy dude with an incredible talent to rub surfaces for hours while regretting ever trying bodywork.

• Locked thread