Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

On weeknights it's awful. For like actual commuting you get to stand for 40 minutes.

I guess it helped being buzzed on the way down and plastered on the way back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

gnarlyhotep posted:

I guess it helped being buzzed on the way down and plastered on the way back

I wish they ran more frequently is all. I live so close to a station that I'd ride everyday, except I never get a seat, so I just take the bus.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28698RwYdCw

:black101::black101::black101:

slay the messican hordes

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

jesus I feel like it's been cloudy for so long in Houston, someone remind me what the sun looks like again :smithcloud:

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
We're all gonna die from this cold, and this rain

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Are they gonna talk about slavery? Cause I think it'd be hilarious to trick people with the true patriotic message behind the Texas Revolution. "You can take our money, you can take our land, but you can NOT take our slaves!:911:"

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

sexy young infidel posted:

We're all gonna die from this cold, and this rain

high of ~60 by this weekend, our winter is about over lol.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

jesus I feel like it's been cloudy for so long in Houston, someone remind me what the sun looks like again :smithcloud:

I think it was yellow or orange. I don't know anymore. :negative:

Please come back warmth and sunlight.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ugh is too hot

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'm not looking forward to weeks of 100+

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm enjoying this 60 degree weather.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Only four more months of frozen toilet seats and ice-cold tap water. I like the heat, personally, but I don't have to do much work outdoors these days.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i hope none of yall work in oil because :unsmigghh:

Glad I'm single and I saved my money. Winter is coming.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ms. Happiness posted:

Gonna go see ZZ top this weekend in San Antonio at the Majestic theater. Any recommendations for a good restaurant/pub in that area?

Hahahahhahahaha

Anyway real talk.

You want fancy cocktails? Right across the street is an elevator with a sign above it that says The Last Word. Fantastic uppity cocktail bar. Take the elevator down a floor and it's there.

Otherwise your local bar use is either the Local or the Ticket. lovely bar is the Texan 2. Everything else is super fancy restaurant or touristy poo poo.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Listen, first of all it's Steers, Queers, and Mutineers. Beers is fine, but Mutiny is more up our aisle.
I mean, we love America and such. They've put up with us for a while now. And vice versa so whatever…..

I.C. fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 17, 2015

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
It was beautiful in DFW today. High of 70 on Monday. Gonna barbecue some chicken.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I.C. posted:

Listen, first of all it's Steers, Queers, and Mutineers. Beers is fine, but Mutiny is more up our aisle.
I mean, we love America and such. They've put up with us for a while now. And vice versa so whatever…..

where are you from anyway

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gnarlyhotep posted:

I'm not looking forward to weeks of 100+

I'd gladly trade a thousand hot days for a single cold day...

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

where are you from anyway

I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas. Like Dallas proper, not Arlington or whatever. Where are you from?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dfw doesnt feel like Texas. If you split urban and rural texas and dfw into separate states dfw would be somewhere between the two in quality

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

I.C. posted:

I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas. Like Dallas proper, not Arlington or whatever. Where are you from?

I'm from a tiny little shithole town near Abilene

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

hemophilia posted:

Dfw doesnt feel like Texas. If you split urban and rural texas and dfw into separate states dfw would be somewhere between the two in quality
I was born here, don't know everyone else's excuse.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjnQlt93sdo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I.C. posted:

I was born here, don't know everyone else's excuse.

I moved to plano and lived there for years because of a lot of reasons but mostly being a kid, and it wasnt a bad place to go to school, but if you're looking for culture or do something other than drink or climb the drug abuse ladder then its a dire and shittty place. Dallas proper felt worse and the suburbs are all varying levels of whatever Plano was.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Everybody always whines about culture and I have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I mean the Angelika independent movie theater is right there at Legacy and the Tollway. The train goes right to the Dallas Arts District if the ability to look at old paintings you could just find on the Internet is seriously an unnegotiable requirement for your day to day life. There's hundreds of unique ethnic restaurants and stores in Plano alone, a ridiculous amount of comic book and hobby shops, regular movie theaters, places like Whirlyball and Nickelrama, gun ranges, theater companies, garage bands and symphony orchestras. I dont get what it is that you're missing out on by living in an average DFW suburb. What the hell is culture and what is the missing thing that devalues time spent living in Plano or Garland or wherever so much?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Randandal posted:

Everybody always whines about culture and I have no idea what the hell they're talking about. I mean the Angelika independent movie theater is right there at Legacy and the Tollway. The train goes right to the Dallas Arts District if the ability to look at old paintings you could just find on the Internet is seriously an unnegotiable requirement for your day to day life. There's hundreds of unique ethnic restaurants and stores in Plano alone, a ridiculous amount of comic book and hobby shops, regular movie theaters, places like Whirlyball and Nickelrama, gun ranges, theater companies, garage bands and symphony orchestras. I dont get what it is that you're missing out on by living in an average DFW suburb. What the hell is culture and what is the missing thing that devalues time spent living in Plano or Garland or wherever so much?

There is nothing about that which screams "millions of people live here". This lovely town has more identity than anything attached to dfw and its hibestly endearing and fun. Dart service areas are really limited and driving anywhere at any time but 3am is an absolute loving chore which really devalues the experience of doing those things every other town has.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

hemophilia posted:

There is nothing about that which screams "millions of people live here". This lovely town has more identity than anything attached to dfw and its hibestly endearing and fun. Dart service areas are really limited and driving anywhere at any time but 3am is an absolute loving chore which really devalues the experience of doing those things every other town has.

I still don't get it. Are you basically saying that you wish this was Manhattan?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Randandal posted:

I still don't get it. Are you basically saying that you wish this was Manhattan?

No but being more than miles of sprawling shopping malls, suburban homes, and drug trafficking would be super cool

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Hey guys, I'll be in Texas in march, if you want to host an austrian muralist in exchange for some painting, hit me up at mcx @ sdf.org. I don't really want to post any of my poo poo here because internet detective real name blabla (I can send you pics tho if you're interested)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

sorry i dont like australians

also texas is big so you should probably specify the town you need to bum around in

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

sorry i dont like australians

also texas is big so you should probably specify the town you need to bum around in

Well currently I'm writing lots of people for a preliminary interest check. Hostels, hotels, helpx people, NGOs like LGBT organisations, stuff like that. I'll start in Houston, but that's about all I know for now. I'll be in the states until june, and the amount of time I spend in a state depends on the amount of work.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Australia is much more hard core than Plano
South Africa is beyond
I'm technically African-American but am real white-looking! Texas is great.
I was made here.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Some of the other culture stuff includes local shops, festivals and bazaars, farmers markets, and a general attitude of the residents.

I'm not saying dfw/Plano does or doesn't have that, but the attitude thing of residents is really important. From having lived in a lovely west Texas town to living in Austin, it really makes a difference.

Also, did you really say looking at art in person is no better than looking at it on a computer? Jesus Christ.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Culture? No, thanks. We're fine. :clint:
Seriously, keep walking.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

This looks really loving bad

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
that culture stuff sounds lame as hell

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
at least its not coppell.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

There is the Creation Evidence Museum about two miles away from a river bed with dinosaur footprints all over the place.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 17, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ElGroucho posted:

This looks really loving bad

History channel had a good thing with Vikings... Not so sure about this one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Indian Brendan Fraiser is lol

• Locked thread