Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Beef Turret posted:

The Hebdo attacks were about free speech in the same way 9/11 happened because they hated our freedoms

Fascinating and nuanced, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

IRONKNUCKLE PERMA-BANNED! CHALLENGES LIBERALS TO 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE! READ HERE

Beef Turret posted:

It's easy to see how I'm correct but I think D&D is more the place for you

Yeah, I shouldn't get in the way of you mining COMEDY GOLD

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Beef Turret posted:

I embarrass you a little in another thread and now you're all over my nuts. Let it go

Yep, you sure did. What with your .gif and your non sequiturs.

I'm easily embarrassed, you see...

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Beef Turret posted:

You embarrassed yourself, and you're mad because of it :D

Your insight into human psychology is only matched by your insight into international politics and Muslim culture.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

[citation needed]

I'll admit, I'm a little gay for this man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PoFdISJOLM

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

C'mon man people were blowing themselves up way before Islam was ever a thing. :rolleyes:

I don't get it. Did you even listen to it (read subtitles)?

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

The British know what's up.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

destroy political posters

Mods asleep at the wheel.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

for my next continental philosopher impression, here's Zizek and Bakunin arguing over a bar tab

Do you even know who Bakunin is?

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

i know very little about bakunin but dont care because i was grabbing a name out of the air to make a lazy joke about how my previous post was a rambling condemnatory joke about people posting lazy jokes about ethnic cleansing on the internet

jokes

Sounds like the right attitude to have toward Bakunin :hfive:

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

we should educate muslims in the American technique of filling the aching hollowness of modernity with cheap snacks, instead of religious radicalism. cram your discontent with ding-dongs, Achmed.

Muslim countries invariably have the best cheap snacks already. It's like the one good thing they have down.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Frog Act posted:

by bakunin's beard

I literally lol'd

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

In Drywall posted:

“Baiting extremists isn’t bravely defiant when your manner of doing so is more significant in offending millions of moderate people as well."

Except when baiting them has a good get you killed, while the "millions of moderate people" sit on the fence looking on.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Agag posted:

systematic murder of Muslim civilians

LOL

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

babypolis posted:

you deserve your ironknuckle avatar sinceyou are just as retarded as he is

Clearly you know me better than I know myself

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Tony Homo posted:

I know that if you wanted to have an open dialogue with the extremists then mocking something they hold sacred probably isn't the best way to do it.

You don't want to have "open dialogue" with extremists. Part of what makes extremists extremists is that open dialogue with them is unproductive.

Mocking them, on the other hand, can at least be therapeutic.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Fat Lowtax posted:

I like how for English speakers who don't think about politics with any more subtlety or complexity than I think about hockey, Charlie Hebdo were either immediately Heroes Standing At The Gates of Eurabia or Evil Racist Provocateurs

(Go Rangers)

Just Englsh speakers?

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Pajser posted:

for every concern troll championing caricaturists they never heard of before there is an idiot claiming that their "baiting" is what got them killed.

It's almost like the Internet polarizes people or something...

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

John Denver Hoxha posted:

good ol freedom of speech

Yes, those hypocrite Frenchies! Murdering the maker of the movie and several bystanders!

Wait...

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Agag posted:

Aryans

LOL you're retarded.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

John Denver Hoxha posted:

not what i was saying at all...

but, yeah, the french are sorta hypocrites for other reasons, seeing as they were/are all too happy to give jihadists guns and money to wreck other people's poo poo as long as its in a place thats far away and every once in a while if have a lot of fowl, they sometimes return to your house to rest

That's not hypocricy. It's just politics, which may be short-sighted or morally objectionable. There is no hypocricy in banning clear-cut hate speech while at the same time being outraged at murder of satirical cartoonists because they didn't cowtow to the demands of extremists.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Agag posted:

Oh neat. Who gets to decide what is "clear cut hate speech?"

How would you classify Charlie Hebdo's mockery of the abducted Nigeran rape victims as hideous pregnant welfare queens?

As kinda unfunny, I guess. But not as hate speech.

I get that members of the Triggered Generation don't do nuance or logic, but try not to get too caught up in your sanctimonious outrage.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

the entire religion(cult at the time) was literally invented to make you submit to a local warlord and obey him in all respects including the catering of his, even by the day's standards, rampant and well documented pedophilia (which is a common thing among religious and cult leaders). Like you know how we make fun of mormonism because we know who invented it and know he faked it? Its like that. He arrived on the scene too late in recorded history to have an obscured myth like moses etc. Hundreds of people firsthand detailed his life.

God you're retarded!

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Let's take a step back.

People on both sides are confusing two things: sarcilege and ban on idolatry.

Muslims are (understandably, even though the gotta deal with it) upset that a person they revere as a Messenger of God and the founder of their religion is mocked in cartoons. Insofar as it is blasphemous and sacrilegious according to Islam, it is something Muslims should refrain from doing.

Muslims also consider it forbidden to make any image that could become an idol, which as over time evolved into rather sweeping ban on depiction of humans and animals. Images of Muhammad, being the Messenger of God etc. etc., are thought to be particularly likely to become objects of idolatrous worship. The hilarious thing is that this ban is an internal Islamic matter (just like women covering themselves, incidentally) and those "radical Islamists" who think it applies to non-Muslims are retarded manbabies who don't understand their own religion.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Frog Act posted:

im 17th century safavid depictions of mohammed fuckin ops mom

There's also this piece of boipussy. I can't believe no one's posted it yet.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Stormageddon posted:

There's something funny that some French rag has a higher death caused count than Satanic Verses.

Satanic Verses is a long and (rather dull) book. It takes effort and literacy.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Let's agree for the sake of argument that Charlie is 100% racist.

So what?

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

people from muslim lands cant maturely handle a satirical magazine. Its like in their blood or something they just cant help but kill when they are offended. Hes a racist and should know better than to make fun of this group of hardcore religious fundamentalists who murder gays on sight that I inexplicably protect as if they need my protection. Btw i cant even click on wikipedia to learn something - a non racist in the year of our tumblr 2015

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Agag posted:

So I'm not going to say "je suis charlie" because gently caress those unfunny cunts.

I think we can all live with that

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

OMG you guys! America prosecutes people who reveal state secrets! Clearly it's hypocritical of them to show solidarity with their close ally after a bloody terrorist attack on journalists!

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

The Snark posted:

What is more important, denouncing murders over cartoons or the dead cartoonists as being racist (even though they weren't)?

ITT: Denouncing dead cartoonists.

Pretty sure this is a new low point.

Can I get someone with archives to confirm that?

Those dead cartoonists were Western and white, you see. Not making GBS threads on their freshly dug graves could jeopardize one's cred as a Progressive Social Justice Warrior.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Agag posted:

You can't get your dick up for some "deport all the mooslims" ranting unless we also canonize a bunch of people who drew sambo cartoons for a nothing magazine?

I do neither. And neither does anyone itt aside from a couple of people obviously trolling you and others like you.

But I seem to have struck a nerve. My apologies.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

NutritiousSnack posted:

doing something bad makes you every bad thing. i cheated on my taxes, now i hit women with baseball bats.

In that case you're still a million times better human being than these terrorists.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Crosspostin'

"I see that you will be murdered by terrorists... In your memory, the bells of Notre-Dame will toll, there will be a great parade with Hollande, Valls, Sarkozy, Cope, Merkel, Cameron and even Netanyahu... There will be tricolor flags and the Marseillaise will be sung... There will be calls for your pantheonisation The pantheon is basically a temple to the great men of the republic, includes people like Marie Curie, Alexandre Dumas, Voltaire, NASDAQ and the French Academy will say "Je suis Charlie" and the Pope will pray for you..."

Number of people who need police protection because of this cartoon: 0

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Every time you ear a croissant you insult Islam.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

In all fairness, radical Hindus are pretty bad. Not quite as bad as radical Islamists, but dammit they're trying.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

ok anyone saying these dopes are on par with voltaire is just getting caught up in the moment

Voltaire made a bunch of really offensive jokes about Islam. He's also revered way beyond his merit. So they are on par in some ways.

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

The Radical Hindus stick to making GBS threads up an area that's already lovely instead of going after the places on earth that actually make the world a better place(The West).

Like I said, they're trying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_textbook_controversy_over_Hindu_history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamblikhos
Jun 9, 2013

Stormageddon posted:

I mean,they could do what Christians do and white wash the race of their religious figure. Would it be racist to say gently caress Muhammed if they drew him white?

Funny, because that's kinda what Muslims themselves used to do

• Locked thread