Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Thoguh posted:

Huh? Ohio State had by far the worst loss among them, Alabama, Oregon, and TCU.

I wouldn't have really had a problem with Baylor, OSU, or TCU getting that last slot, but I think you can make an argument that OSU's body of wins was more impressive than Baylor's, or certainly TCU's. Yeah, maybe OSU's brand helped them a but, but I think we're veering into hot take territory to say a grave injustice was done here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Komet posted:

I think we should all agree that there should be 8 spots and move on with our lives. Sure, fans of the #9 team will complain, but I feel an 8 seed has a much less likely shot at beating a 1 seed in a larger playoff.

If they expand to 8 teams there needs to be an autobid for a group of five champ.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

6 conference champs and 2 at large would be just about perfect, unfortunately I think we're doomed to have them eventually over expand to 12 or 16 and ruin the regular seaon.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thoguh posted:

What's the sixth conference? Or do you just mean highest rated non P5 champ? Or to be less restricted, just the sixth highest rated conference champs.which would produce the same result 99 times out of 100.

Either of those would be fine, though I'd lean toward the latter for the hilarity of the 1 time in 100 when Boise State and Marshall both get in over the ACC champ or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Butthead posted:

That tie-breaker was "highest in the BCS standings," which no longer exists and is the reason there were co-champions this year.

The BCS thing was in case of a three way tie, head to head is still the tiebreak for two teams as far as bowl bids are concerned. Baylor and TCU were technically co-champions, but Baylor still would have gotten whatever autobid the Big 12 was entitled to, just like KSU got the Fiesta Bowl over OU in 2012 when they were co-champions.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 14, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

JT Jag posted:

I mean, TCU lost to Baylor, Baylor also lost, the Big 12 doesn't have a proper tiebreaker to determine these sorts of situations anymore, because they don't have a championship game and their old tiebreaker was highest ranked in the BCS. And they refused to declare head to head as the deciding factor in the event of a tie of two highest ranked teams. And the selection committee isn't ok with co-champions. So I guess we'll just never know how TCU could have done in the playoff! Keep fantasizing though. Maybe next year. Hope for an eight team playoff, maybe there'll be an autobid for the Big 12 Actually 10 Though then!

Baylor had the official tiebreaker but the official tiebreaker was irrelevant vis a vis the playoffs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Take it to the other thread guys, this is not BBQ related.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

hypothetical: if evidence showing, beyond a reasonable doubt, that bear bryant was the zodiac killer were discovered, would his wins be vacated. if so, and if we accept that the ncaa has no authority to do so, then who vacates those wins. or do they stand because "the ncaa has no authority to punish criminal activity" trumps murder as well as serial child rape.

i mean i have a feeling bama would sooner disband as a university than vacate those wins but it's a thought experiment, just spitballing here

Why would Bear Bryant being the Zodiac killer mean that his wins need to be vacated? Unless he was murdering recruits during the dead period I don't see how the two are related.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Pods are the stupidest thing. Just go to 9 games.

Even at 9 games it's impossible to host every team in the conference in 4 years with a traditional two divisions. I think playing everyone else in the conference home and away within a 4 year cycle is what everyone should aim for.

I'd still be game for a nine game schedule though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I agree that they aren't below Purdue or Vandy but there are several Group of 5 programs that are better than Purdue/Vandy every year. It turns out being in a Power 5 conference doesn't make a school's program better than all G5 schools.

Also, lol at espn using all time Power 5 statistics this past season. Good way to try to erase the Big East from CFB history.

BYU is reliably a top 60 program, and more importantly since they're an independent they're also readily available. It's not like they're Army or something, I don't see the what the problem is here.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There is not a more perfect uniform than Penn State's home unis. Now please take the player names and Big Ten patches off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

I''m not a fan of the names but...eh. I do wish they'd do the helmet numbers for Homecoming or something.

Down with this as long as the helmet numbers are all 409

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

How many years is it going to take before the CFB Final has some over the top halftime show

One hundred underprivileged kids will attempt to throw footballs into Dr. Pepper cans made of lasers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Watch Spurrier start a loving war.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nice mascott, but what's the round thing with the furry eyebrows?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Early 5Dimes lines:

Texas at Notre Dame (-10.5)

Texas is going to win this, get everyone excited, and go 8-4.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DJExile posted:

holy hell, sparty apparently had an amazing program cover for the wyoming game

can one of you sparty fans confirm this?

Awesome, but why would they make it look like the MSU player is about to get his rear end kicked?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't understand freshman ineligibility. Do they think it's going to make guys more likely to go to class if they're not playing? The one and done phenomenon is only an issue is basketball, and only effects a tiny percentage of players in that case.

I certainly can't conceive of an individual conference instituting that rule without the assurance that everyone else is going to follow suit. As MV pointed out, that would be a gigantic recruiting disadvantage.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 21, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Strobe posted:

It's probably also physically safer for them to be able to spend a year in the system, practicing against other college-caliber players and spending time in the gym/weight room.

I'm kinda for it. I like the idea of "Five for five" better.

If a player is at a point where you fear for their safety on the field, I don't think they're going to see much action as a true freshman as it is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah generally I think the guys who need a year to train get a year to train, and I don't see any reason why the occasional Adrian Peterson-like talent who arrives practically NFL-ready at age 18 should have to sit out. This is a solution in search of a problem.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kittenmittons posted:

Agreed, there's no way the man who just added powerhouse Rutgers to the conference could be that stupid.

I want to agree with you but I can't make fun of the Big Ten's march towards voluntary obsolescence as long as they've got the championship belt.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if spring enrolees could still be eligible in the fall

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How bad must it feel when your team sucks and covers up rape? Good thing they swept that all under the rug, or they might not have eked out those wins over New Mexico State and UNLV on the way to a 4-8 season.

Also I don't know if Bob Davie had anything to do with this, but he's a piece of poo poo regardless. I don't know if he rubbed off on Notre Dame or it was the other way around.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 24, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Season 2 of Better Call Saul is shaping up to be a monster

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Great White Hope posted:

I wonder how much of the money raised was by/from people who support putting up a statue to approve spending tax dollars to cover up child rape.

Who cares?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

Looks like Baylor has no OOC games of note for the foreseeable future:

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/96626/louisiana-tech-series-continues-baylors-non-conference-scheduling-philosophy

So no more bitching about not making the playoffs when the school is taking a conscious gamble on whether or not OOC opponents matter to SOS. Hint: they do.

Briles is right though. If Baylor hadn't blown it at WVU, or if the Big 12 had had one more top 25 caliber team last year, Baylor would have made the playoff. The weak non conference schedule can cut both ways, just because it didn't work out last year doesn't mean it's going to break that way every year.

The same logic applies for the championship game argument, btw. There are going to be years when somebody in the top 4 gets knocked out in their CCG and while the Big 12 champ chills at home and reaps the benefit.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 3, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Surely Jimbo has to be top 10?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Raku posted:

He's not actually the worst from his school.

I thought we were talking active, not all time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Civil War is the subtext of basically any concept of regional pride in college football. I think that it's fair to say in many senses that if there's no Civil War, there's no college football as we know it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pillsburysoldier posted:

OU people gettin' expelled

Remember when people used to get expelled to Oklahoma?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A&M asked Jefferson Davis to be its first president but he turned us down.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sash! posted:

Lee's father in law was George Washingtons stepson proving that it's not what you do, it's who you know, even when it comes to treason

Really what difference is there between Washington and Lee other than the W-L record?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Which was more clutch though

Washington's got the *ringz*. I feel like his closest analogue would be Pete Carroll, Lee would be maybe Tony Dungy or something.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Nooooo

The only silver lining is if this leads to Lou appearing on The Five more often.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

VDay posted:

UCLA schedules a home-and-home with Cincinnati in 2018/19.

Why

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pakled posted:

8-team playoff, 5 spots for P5 champions, 2 at-larges, and, as the 8-seed, the highest-ranked mid-major champion.

This makes so much sense and would satisfy pretty much all parties and for some reason it will never happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Remember that time Baylor had their best season ever and got Bortled by a mid-major?

The Big East AAC champ was still an automatic qualifier that year :eng101:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

SB Nation did a good bit on the idea of relegation and I am almost okay with it: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/2/24/8052475/college-football-relegation-promotion-conferences-LIKE-SOCCER

TBH, I'd like to see part of the FBS split off into FCS and ban playing FCS teams in the regular season and instead have the spring games be against FCS teams.

We get it, you hate Marshall

Edit: College football is great because it's such a big world. If a mid major takes the eighth best team's place in the playoff I'm not going to lose much sleep over it. It's worth it just for the off chance something cool happens

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Murray is still going to get drafted by some team and get offered a shitload of money to see if he blinks

Sounds like he's not going to submit the required paperwork, which will make him ineligible to be drafted.

As a fan I'm glad he's making this decision. As a person I know it's a big risk and I hope he doesn't live to regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has anybody posted that loophole in the Big 12 tiebreaker thay some redditor figured out?

Basically if you're in a three way tie, winning a game by too many points can cause you to lose the tiebreaker.

• Locked thread