Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I have read a sad number of these in my more bored moments.

Only Sense Online is kinda cool I guess? It doesn't really take itself that seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

Reading Only Sense Online, it scratches the exact itch I wanted it to scratch without being creepy about it, which is a rarity for web and light novels. Bears a lot of similarities to Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, in case you liked one or the other.

One I forgot about is Rokka no Yuusha which follows deals with six prophesied heroes who are supposed to beat the demon king. They're all identified by a mark on their bodies, but when they meet up there are seven of them. I haven't gotten too far yet, more of a back-burner project for me, but it was recommended to me and is well liked.

Only Sense Online is probably the best of them. It doesn't take itself seriously unlike the SAO like stuff. And I actually really like the Sense system the game uses.

Yun just wants to craft in peace, and is a good deal weaker than the combat oriented characters.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I found a series called Coiling Dragon. It's really, really good. Basically it's about a kid trying to resurrect the honor and glory of his clan, and his struggles through the years to reach the highest level of combatant--a Saint. But he isn't able to use battle ki so he has to find a way around that.

At the lowest level people are pretty normal, but at the level of the Saints it basically becomes Dragonball Z. It has power creep but it also points out that most Saints are centuries old, and some are way older than even that. And usually you'd need to be that old to reach that level. It also translates at a freakishly fast pace it looks like.

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/cdindex-html/

Another series I found is Zhan Long, which is your basic MMO type story but I enjoy it. Also freakishly fast translations it looks like?

edit: Forgot to mention it, but the Coiling Dragon translations are also extremely good. A few repeated phrases, like "not one whit" as in "not one whit weaker" or "not one whit less talented" but otherwise it's a really smooth if simple read.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 25, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ottumon posted:

I read a book and a bit of Coiling Dragon, and it's pretty good. Although your description gives the sense that he's more lacking than others because he can't use battle ki, but actually he won big time in the superpower lottery early on with the Dragonblood giving him enhanced strength, more than high affinity to elements, easy magical beast and an ancient Saint mage mentor from a ring. Oh, and whenever he's a good enough mage to find the Dragon qi books or whatever, his only disadvantage will be gone. Edit: just as I posted and read this chapter to the end his dad just handed over the manuals :laffo:.

What I'd criticize is that, at least in the first book, there's but a few side characters and they exist only to pave way for the main character's training. If either he doesn't start getting real friends or enemies or anything very soon after entering chinese super-Hogwarts or the three or so side characters don't get any development, I'm going to get really bored quick.

He really still can't use the Dragonblood qui books like, at all, though beyond some miscellaneous information until a decent chunk into the series. And right before he gains access to them for realsies, it becomes really clear to him just how tiny he truly is even with being a brilliant magical prodigy and having natural physical advantages.

There are more side characters that show up. Of the 4 bros, for instance, really only one of them is important. It's Yale. As he goes further on, he collects more friends and allies, but he can't really get many early on because hahahahah literally nobody is going to scale with him at all and the series makes it really clear that a 7th ranked person is absolutely nothing to an 8th ranked unless you are a freak of nature like Linley or Bebe. And this just gets more pronounced the higher in the rankings you are.

Keep on reading though. Some great scenes in there. Particularly when Linley's brother shows up again and duels another dude and how that entire sequence turns out.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ottumon posted:

Coiling Dragon is taking some really :catstare: turns after (6th book spoilers) the aftermath of Linley killing the king's brother is explored. I'm both horrified and interested. It seemed to me like Alice was only written in to serve as the motivation for Linley's sculpture so he can have a powerup. That plot thread went a lot further than I thought, unlike the earlier (book 3, late 2?) assassin girl that literally broke Linley's heart. He was a real edgelord for about two chapters, and then it was promptly forgotten.

Generally speaking, the plot is like a cheap kung-fu movie with a gigantic amount of bullshit powerups. But those are the best kung-fu movies, so it looks like I'm in for the whole ride.

Alice actually sticks around for a bit longer and has a few more parts to play, though I'd not really call them important.

And that is exactly why Coiling Dragon is awesome.

edit: Also, once again, the translation speed is kind of freakish. The chapters aren't that long, but it's still 3 translated a day. And they are legitimately good translations too, better than most anything else I come across in fan translations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Hahahahahah.

Coiling Dragon spoilers Looks like Linley is getting his kids and nephew Saint-level Dragons as companions, that he beats into submission. After getting them blood from these dragons to turn them into Dragonblood Warriors. At least the next chapter is named Submission, and there are currently three dragons fighting him and he has two kids and a nephew...

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Have another reincarnation story!

http://worldofwatermelons.com/desolate-era-index/book-1-chapter-1/

This is by the same guy who wrote Coiling Dragon mentioned earlier. It doesn't have a lot translated yet, only eighteen chapters, but so far it seems pretty good. Basically, a guy dies at the age of 18 due to illness. Due to certain good deeds in his previous life, he is going to be allowed to reincarnate into the Deva Realm. However, poo poo happens and he ends up instead reincarnating as a human, but he keeps all of his memories from his previous life and the period of time he was dead before he reincarnated.

Unlike, say, Mushoku Tensei, The Desolate Era doesn't have any creepiness so far and I really doubt it will based on the author's other works. Just action and training arcs.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

I don't mind a mary sue power fantasy as long as it's fun to read. That's a very small set of works, though, but Zhan Long has been fun so far.

Desolate Era is pretty fun too, even if it's just getting started. Not sure how its longevity is going to be with such strict power rankings and everyone being superman, but it's not bad so far.

Based on, say Coiling Dragon, it's fair to say the power rankings are the tip of the iceberg. For instance, who is to say that the protagonist won't eventually go to the celestial realms or whatever and kick rear end there? Because I bet that is totally going to happen at some point.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Coiling Dragon chat

Can the Radiant Church get possibly any more hosed right now? Honest question.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Clipperton posted:

I just want to know how he's maintaining his irl sword skills when he's eating junk food and poopsocking for eighteen hours a day.

Something something qi

Because it absolutely exists, and so does some other crazy stuff, but the vrmmo is the focus of the main plot :allears:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So I read Magi's Grandson on Japtem. It's pretty fun and not too serious. Guy is reincarnated into a baby, blah blah blah, learns magic and is super badass, etc.

What's enjoyable is the fact that his grandfather, that taught him magic, went out of his way to get the best teachers in a variety of fields. But never actually taught him any of the common sense of the world. It's really more funny than serious and I am enjoying the 11 or so translated chapters.

http://japtem.com/projects/magis-grandson-toc/

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't the mage dude note her main body being white? And the Remnants were too I thought?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Click for kumo eye info

Apparently Kumoko gains two eyes from this form

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Desuwa posted:

But what about limbs?

Who needs limbs when you have eyes?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'll admit, I have a hard time remembering all of these names. Weren't most of these people only ever mentioned in passing?

Shiro is Kumoko is Wakaba who was the silent school idol. Since she was pretty it was "cool" instead of awkward. She was unaware of her own status. Rihoko was the red herring that fit Kumoko mentioned in S1. Kyouya is a classmate missing in demon territory

Also Wakaba was dead on sensei's list because sensei is basically so below her that the skill doesn't tell poo poo or something?

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 4, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

No, Shun is a ruler and on that list I think.

kumo is an admin though

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm kind of curious why she thought they were dead, then. Kumoko eats dragons and robots, so she can't really be held to normal standards, but what about the other two?

They weren't dead, just stuck in demon territory so unreachable I think. Basically Kumoko took them and so the Elves couldn't mess with them

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

They might not have been physically reachable, but the student list says how and when they die. Was it just not updated after Kumoko presumably interfered with their death predictions?

Some on the list were basically written off but weren't dead due to their circumstances. I am pretty sure these two were among them. Similar to how Shun and Katia couldn't be kidnapped due to their status, these two were known to be alive but they could not reach them. Way back she said that like 17 or something were accounted for, 5 were dead and 2 or 3 were lost in demon/monster territory. These two are from the last group.

I think.

Alternatively, kumo hosed with sensei's skill.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

But it looks like for the most part translators' tastes, even translators of good things, can't be trusted. Just look at OSO, or ISSTH, for example, the other stuff on their sites're mediocre at best compared to those two works.

And I love ISSTH, but its protagonist, while apparently nice for the genre, is kinda an rear end in a top hat compared to My Disciple's heroine.

ISSTH dude only translates that. Everything else on wuxiaworld are different translators. Otherwise it'd be super absurd.

Also Meng Hao is a dick but an evolving one. Which is why he's great. In fact recently he's been pretty reasonable

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Meng Hao has a scholar's manner, which is different and tends to make folks like him. He learns to cultivate this.

Also yeah, he was excited! At least read to the buttsplosions or conman Meng Hao!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

So Coiling Dragon is translated. The first half was solid but gods shouldn't have been a thing

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Remember when Linley sculpted?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Remember when Wharton was super talented?

I did enjoy CD, it just seemed much better while Linley had a real core goal beyond get stronk. The Radiant Church were cool villains! Zassler was cool too!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I liked the premise a lot, but the translation was just too amazingly terrible.

Pretty much the same.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I was checking out Royal Road because some goon mentioned it was full of garbage. As you may know, Royal Road is a site full of lovely web novels. I stumbled on one good xianxia inspired story, Savage Divinity. The setting is a low-magic cultivators world. So meditate and train to gain heavenly cosmic strength, insights into the martial forms, etc, but no one is shooting lightning bolts. That heavenly energy does make you stronger and tougher. At one point the MC declares "I am going to be a muscle wizard."

I like the MC because of how shameless he is. He reminds of Meng Hoa sometimes, but just a different sort of shamelessness. The author also does a good job portraying a man with modern sensibilities struggle with living in a medieval age.

This is actually pretty decent.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Ji Ning is a swell guy by genre standards.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Men Hao will sever the emotional satisfaction he gets from a good con

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

blastron posted:

Something that I completely missed in my first readthrough (and subsequent translation) of Kumoko, which had to be pointed out to me by one of my readers: the reason why everything in the dungeon wants to kill her is because Appraisal makes the target aware that they're being appraised, and it feels very hostile, so the fact that she's Appraising literally everything she sees means she's provoking every monster she comes across. :doh:

Yup

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

In Desolate Era news, I'd much rather be reading the story of Bluecliff Xiaoyu rather than Ji Ning. At least for right now! Alas, she is destined to simply be a required token for getting a new ability, nothing more.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Cultivators aren't cutthroat enough for corporations, though.

Meng Hao is

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Original English work. Author now posts his story here. http://www.fictiongrill.com/

Here is another original English web novel . Practical Guide to Evil. Also very good. Fantasy theme (orcs, sword and board). https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/

Oh, look, another one. Worm. It is complete and very good. Super hero theme. https://parahumans.wordpress.com/

There are a handful of good English web novels out there that would make excellent YA novels if they were published.

I had already read Worm and Savage Divinity, but I really enjoyed the Practical Guide to Evil. It really taught me one thing: goblinfire solves all problems

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

Why are you people wasting your time reading non-Japanese web novels? Do they even -sama or -chan?

Skitter-sama is coming for you because you give her no face

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

http://www.pathoftranslation.com/projects/my-daoist-life/

My Daoist Life is really excellent guys.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I should explain more about this I guess. It's a cultivation story set, currently, in 1999 rural China. A boy finds a weird pendant that puts him in a sort of waking dream state for 2 years before he wakes up, enlightened on qi. There appear to be actual sects hidden away and such, as well as tomb ruins, but the translation is still pretty early in.

It seems to be pretty slice of life, rather than power up and fight, and has some solid characters so far. In these early parts it seems like a lot of it is about growing up in rural China and the MC, who actually feels like a kid (a smart one though), trying to make money because he thinks it'll bring his parents back to his village. Just with qi and cultivation.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Sandman posted:

I'm not sure this accounts for Lord Fifth.

Ducks

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Sandman posted:

The only rape I'm willing to accept in my web novels is rape committed by a lecherous parrot.

This conforms to my Dao

E: Ji Clan shenanigans, excellent. And a 5 chapter release

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 18, 2016

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Avulsion posted:

For those of you who got tired of the constant battles in ISSTH, in the latest arc Meng Hao has turned into a Scooby-doo villain in his pursuit of the Dao of Conning.

It will be glorious

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Meng Hao's Dao of Promissory Notes

He is cultivating karma you see

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

These last few ISSTH chapters have been wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Never change Meng Hao. Never change.

• Locked thread