Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh hey a UK puzzle. That's not very different from the US version. :geno: Anyone have any idea why that was changed? Aside from the fact that dates are written differently in the US and the UK.

30 UK: 13/08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Probably to remove the language aspect? Layton is localized into French/German/Spanish/Italian as well.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Puzzle 47:
It'll be twenty votes. The candidates will vote for themselves, leaving 37 votes free. Giving 19 of those votes to the candidate, + the one the candidate has for voting for them self makes it so any combination of votes the other two get will not be enough. 20-19-1 is the closest it can be.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Puzzle 037: It's easy to see that the golfer cannot sink his shot in just two putts. At least one of them would have to be 11 meters, and there's no 9-meter putt available. There are multiple ways to sink it in four putts: four 5's, or two 3's and two 7's, for one. So we need to check if there are any three-putt solutions. And there can't be: because his only putting options are odd, three putts will always advance the ball an odd number of meters, but he needs to advance it 20 meters exactly, which is even. (Putting it past the hole with two 11's isn't a workaround for the problem either, as that still leaves him at "-2" (so to speak) meters, which is still an even number.) Therefore, he must use a minimum of four putts to sink the ball.

Puzzle 053: There's a way to solve this without trial and error. First pretend we were just wanting to throw out six random candidates via the method suggested. We'll start with the face at the 12 o'clock position and move clockwise, and paint a big black dot on each eliminated face. Then we'll look at the pattern of dots, and we'll notice that it perfectly matches the pattern of women's faces (conveniently placed in pink circles for ease of visual reference), just rotated and maybe flipped. That's because no matter what face you start at, you'll always eliminate faces in the exact same pattern. All we need to do is rotate the pattern of elimination dots, and maybe flip it by choosing to go counterclockwise instead of clockwise from the start. Then whichever face ends up under the "12 o'clock" dot is the face we should start with, and the puzzle's solution.

So starting with the 12 o'clock face and moving clockwise, we'll eliminate 6 o'clock first. Then we come back around to 12, which is the next to go. Next we skip over six and eliminate 7, then we skip over twelve and eliminate 2. From there we skip over six and seven and end up eliminating 10, and then the last one eliminated ends up being 8 o'clock. So our elimination pattern is 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 2: three eliminated circles in a row, then jumping by twos in the direction chosen (clockwise) for three more spots. That pattern matches the women's faces if you put the "6 o'clock" dot on the black-haired women with no glasses in the real 5 o'clock position, and move counterclockwise. Therefore the woman directly across from her — Flora, as it happens — is the one in the 12 o'clock position and is our starting woman. So we need to start with Flora's portrait and then move counter-clockwise.

Puzzle 030 UK: Sadly, reading down to the US puzzle kind of spoils the solution. If you fill the "wineglass" part of the sculpture with water and convert it into a fountain, the 2 will have its top half reflected in the water, and will end up looking like a 3. The 1 will look a little ugly, but should still be readable, especially if you take a chisel to its "tail" and make it a simple vertical line. So the town was founded on 13/08, or August 13th.

Puzzle 030 US: This one's insultingly easy since they explicitly spell out the "water in the wineglass" part. In the reflected pool, the answer can be seen: after drinking all night, the townspeople all stayed in BED the next day.

Puzzle 047: This is a simple plurality (to win, you must get more votes than any other candidate) system, rather than a majority (to win, you must get a number of votes that is strictly greater than exactly half the voters). If write-in candidates were allowed, you could get a situation where everyone voted for themselves except for a single person who voted for his neighbor. Then there would be thirty-eight people with one vote and just one person with two votes, who would beat out all the others. So the answer would be 2 in that case. However, that's not how elections in this town probably work: the puzzle is probably assuming that all the votes will be cast for one of those three candidates and nobody else. Thus, a 3-way tie could be achieved after 39 of the 40 votes had been cast, with each candidate getting 13 votes. In which case, the next vote cast would give someone 14 votes, which is the fewest number of votes a candidate could possibly get and still win. And thus, it's also the answer to the puzzle. Edit: Someone said the answer was 13 votes, because they weren't counting the candidates' own votes. But the candidates are themselves locals of the town, and their votes count too, so the answer is 14 votes, not 13.

Puzzle 052: You could start the puzzle like this: Wednesday was a no-hat, cloudy day. If Tuesday had been cloudy, he would have worn his hat on Wed (rule 3), so Tues wasn't cloudy. If Thurs had been cloudy, he would have worn his hat on Thurs (rule 3), so Thurs wasn't cloudy. And so on. However, you'll then start to realize that there's a better way to do it: start with the weather tiles we have available to place, and work backwards.

Starting with the weather tiles, we see that there are two rain tiles to place, and only two places we can put them: on Thurs and Sat, the two no-hat days whose weather is unknown. Therefore the four hat days must contain three sunny days and one cloudy day. But we can't make the cloudy day fit in the week (see the reasoning about Tues and Thurs, for example)... unless the last day of LAST week (last Sunday) had been cloudy! In which case Mon was a cloudy day, the second in a row, so the man wore his hat -- and thus the other hat days were all sunny.

So from Monday through to Sunday, the weather was: Cloudy, Sunny, Cloudy, Rainy, Sunny, Rainy, Sunny.

(Edited once to expand a little on the answer to puzzle 047).

Tax Refund fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 1, 2015

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Puzzle 47: 14/13/13 is the only combination where the winner would receive the fewest votes possible and still win, so obviously the answer is 14.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some general remarks.

First of all, for the hamster game, it seems that he favours the apple over all other items, but the other items are equal. What happens if you have two non-apple items an equal distance away from him?

Secondly, does the third hint for the golfing puzzle really say 'feet' while the question is in meters?

And third, the answer to the voting puzzle is 40/3 = 13.3, round up = 14. It doesn't matter if the candidates vote for themselves. Those hints seem to make the puzzle unnecessarily complicated, without changing the answer.

E: Typo.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 1, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I thing the voting puzzle may come down to sloppy langue like the "no way a rabbit can outrun a lion" puzzle.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The voting puzzle asks how many votes a candidate needs to "secure" victory. In other words, the smallest number of votes such that the candidate wins no matter how the other votes are cast. You can't assume that the remaining votes are evenly split between the other two candidates, but must find a value such that regardless of the split of the remaining votes, the chosen candidate will always win. The point in the counting at which the candidate can safely stop paying attention to the reports and start the victory party while the remaining votes are counted.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Puzzle 037: Two putts of 11 meters at some angle that forms reduces the actual length to 20 meters total.

Kinfolk910 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 1, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nidoking posted:

The voting puzzle asks how many votes a candidate needs to "secure" victory. In other words, the smallest number of votes such that the candidate wins no matter how the other votes are cast. You can't assume that the remaining votes are evenly split between the other two candidates, but must find a value such that regardless of the split of the remaining votes, the chosen candidate will always win. The point in the counting at which the candidate can safely stop paying attention to the reports and start the victory party while the remaining votes are counted.

...You are right. I thought about that for a second and decided it wouldn't matter, but thinking about it again, it does.

Without taking the hints in account, this would mean that you could end up at the situation where the winner has 21 votes, 2nd place has 19 and the loser has 0 votes. So in that case the answer would be 21. But the hints say that each of the candidates vote for themselves, so those votes cancel each other, leaving us with 37 votes that matter. 37 / 2, rounding up, means that the winner needs 19 'actual' votes, plus his own vote, makes 20 votes when he can start celebrating. In that case the 2nd place has 19 votes total, while the loser has 1 vote (his own).

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Nidoking posted:

Which makes this a poorly-written puzzle. If you're right about how the puzzle's wording should be read, then your answer is correct. If I'm reading it correctly (what vote distribution yields the smallest possible winning vote count), then my answer is correct. And while your reading of what they mean by "secure" victory is quite plausible, the puzzle could have been made unambiguous by a simple "... no matter how anyone else votes" line being added. But it was left ambiguous, and an ambiguous puzzle is a bad puzzle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tax Refund posted:

Which makes this a poorly-written puzzle.

Every Layton has a couple of puzzles that do this. I recall one of them having quite a few, but I don't recall if it's this one or if this one just has its poor puzzles front-loaded.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

quote:

Puzzle 047 Chat

I'll go ahead and settle this, actually.

See if you can spot the difference. For reference, the US version was released on August 24, 2009 and the UK (er, EU) version was released on September 25, 2009.

Now you all can go ahead and discuss localization decisions instead.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Secondly, does the third hint for the golfing puzzle really say 'feet' while the question is in meters?

I transcribe everything by hand, so sometimes stuff gets through. Thanks for pointing this out.

Carbon dioxide posted:

First of all, for the hamster game, it seems that he favours the apple over all other items, but the other items are equal. What happens if you have two non-apple items an equal distance away from him?

Right, knew I was forgetting something - give me a few hours and I'll do a more comprehensive write up of Rick's AI.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
37:It's 2. He just has to hit the first one at such an angle that it lands 11 from the hole.

53: I'm too lazy to actually follow through with this one, but I know it has to be either Luke or the guy with the mustache three above him since they're the only ones that start 6 spaces away from a woman.

30: They spent 8-13 (or 13-8, take your pick) in BED

47: 20

52: Rain on Thursday and Saturday, clouds on Monday (the previous Sunday could be cloudy, after all), Sun on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Alright, here's a summary of how Rick's AI works for each move. I'll throw this in the second post as well. If something is unclear, tell me and I'll get screenshots to help explain.

It's worth noting that Rick is not a ghost and cannot move through items. If Rick has a house directly in front of him and an apple is behind it, Rick will go to the house (because to get to the apple, Rick would need to go around the house, and that would require four steps).

General Movement Rules

1. If there are special circumstances that force Rick to move to a certain item, he does so. We'll deal with these later. If not, go to step two.
2. If there are any apples that Rick can move to in three moves, Rick moves to it. If there are multiple apples within three squares, go to the multiple items section. If not, go to step three.
3. If there are any non-apple items that Rick is interested in (we'll find items that Rick isn't interested in later) that Rick can move to in three moves, Rick moves to it. If there are multiple, go to the multiple items section. If there are no items that Rick is interested in within three squares of Rick, the workout ends.

Multiple Items Rules

1. Rick will prioritize the closest item. If there are multiple items at the same distance from Rick, go to step two.
Examples:
a. If Rick has a tree stump two spaces in front of him and a house one space behind him, Rick will go for the house.
b. If Rick has a flower one space to his left and one space up from him and a tree stump two spaces to his left and one space down from him, Rick will go for the flower.

2. Rick will prioritize the item that requires the least number of turns (counting turning around as two turns). If the items require identical numbers of turns, go to step three.
Examples:
a. If Rick has an apple one square in front of him and an apple one square to the side of him, he will go for the apple directly in front of him.
b. If Rick has a tree stump two squares in front of him and one to the left and a flower three spaces behind him, he will go for the tree stump.

3. Rick will prioritize the item that requires him to make the latest possible turns. If the items would require turning at identical times, go to step four.
Examples:
a. If Rick (facing downwards) has a house two squares right and one square down from his position and a flower one square right and two squares down from his position, Rick would go for the flower.
b. If Rick (facing rightwards) had items positioned identically to the previous example, Rick would go for the house.

4. Rick will turn anticlockwise, provided 1-3 are met. This only happens when Rick is facing a direction and has two items in front of him, one to his left and another to his right.
Here, have a cheat sheet.
Starting Direction --> Direction Rick Turns To
Right --> Up
Up --> Left
Left --> Down
Down --> Right
Examples:
a. If Rick (facing downwards) has a flower one square down and one square left of his position and a tree stump one square down and one square right of his position, Rick will go for the tree stump.
b. If Rick (facing rightwards) has a house one square right and one square up from his position and a flower one square right and one square down from his position, Rick will go for the house.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

37: It's 2 shots. It can be easily visualized if you draw two circles of radius 11 metres from both the ball and the hole. They will cross in two points, and our golfer only needs to aim for one of those two to put the ball at 11 metres from the hole.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

I thing the voting puzzle may come down to sloppy langue like the "no way a rabbit can outrun a lion" puzzle.

To be fair that puzzle did state that the animals escaped due to lack of food.

Puzzle 30: 13th of August

Puzzle 37: 2. Hit the ball 11m at an angle of arcsin(10/11) and it will be left 11 meters from the hole

Puzzle 52: C S C R S R S. To start Tuesday can not be raining or cloudy. Thursday can not be cloudy or sunny. Fill these in and there are three hat days left with two sunny days. Hence one must be a second day of clouds and this must be Monday.

Puzzle 53: Start with 12 oclock. C to 5. A to 11. A to 4. A to 9. C to 1. A to 3

RichardA fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 1, 2015

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Accursed Walrus posted:

See if you can spot the difference. For reference, the US version was released on August 24, 2009 and the UK (er, EU) version was released on September 25, 2009.

Now you all can go ahead and discuss localization decisions instead.

Yeah, that's a lot clearer. WTF was the EU team thinking?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this hamster minigame is going to have an amazingly convoluted solution, isn't it?

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Glazius posted:

Man, this hamster minigame is going to have an amazingly convoluted solution, isn't it?

A convoluted solution isn't required to complete the minigame.

The optimal solution, on the other hand...

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Accursed Walrus posted:

In that case, nidoking's answer is right and mine is wrong. I won't bother editing my post as it's kind of pointless, but if you're counting majority answers on the thread to see if the thread collectively got things right or something like that, then you can count me as giving the same answer as nidoking now.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Mr Anderson

Puzzles in the Previous Update:

Music: Puzzle

There was a surprising amount of variance in the answers this time.

It's not hard to realize that 2 is impossible by trying it; 11+11 metres goes over, and any other combination of two strokes will be less than 20 metres. It's also pretty easy to figure out that three strokes is impossible. All the stroke values are odd, and the sum of three odd numbers will always be odd and therefore not equal to 20. Once you knock out 2 and 3 strokes, it's simple to find a combination that will get you 20 metres in four strokes - 5+5+5+5 being the most obvious one.

It's good reasoning, but not what we're looking for.

Answers were all over the place on this puzzle, probably because this puzzle is easy to misinterpret. Things that are easy to miss or make a mistake about - the first portrait counts as one, remembering to skip crossed out portraits, and that movement has to be either anticlockwise or clockwise, but not both.

I went back and forth on how to present this puzzle and its US version, as several posters noted that the US version tells you that the statue is a fountain which helps you solve the UK version. After you find the answer to the UK version, you use the same method to solve the US puzzle. That being said, I didn't want to put the US and UK puzzles in different updates, so astute puzzlers just get a bit of a freebie on this pair.

There was an awful lot of controversy about this puzzle. Most people saw that the candidates would vote for themselves, but there was argument about whether or not the puzzle asked for the lowest number of votes the candidate would need for victory (14) or the lowest number of votes the candidate would need to secure victory with certainty (20). Initially, I was confused about the controversy; I thought it was fairly clear that the puzzle asked for the later. I reread the puzzle description and found it odd - I could have sworn the puzzle stated "with certainty" somewhere in the description. Guess what?

Incidentally, this puzzle is also slightly different in the US version - the week starts on Sunday.

: Besides, two snappy dressers like us shouldn’t fight - we’d get our clothes all dirty.

Next let’s head left of the plaza.

: Since you’re new in town, let me clue you in on a few key facts about Dropstone. I know you’re interested, so don’t act all bashful and reserved on my account! Listen, if you only know one name in Dropstone, make sure it’s Mr Anderson’s. Not only is the man swimming in money, but he basically runs Dropstone. But he’s a top bloke who treats everyone with respect, even the postman. That’d be me, by the way. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats his local postie. But even nice guys like him have troubles. I hear he spends all his time worrying about his daughter. That reminds me, I just saw a pair of unusual characters head up towards Mr Anderson’s house. They said they were policemen from London, but something about them seemed awfully fishy to me.

: Two people, huh?

: Are you referring to Inspector Chelmey and his assistant?

: Chelmey, you say? That sounds right. He said he was here on official police business and needed to see Mr Anderson.

: Do you think there’s a connection between this Mr Anderson and the Elysian Box, Professor?

: Well, it seems that Mr Anderson serves as the head of this community. It’s only natural that he’d know about who and what passes through this area.

: He’s a big fish all right. You’re bang on the money about that.

: Yes, I bet those two officers are being waited on like kings at Mr Anderson’s as we speak. But enough chit-chat. We’ve got a festival going on now, so go and have some fun!

There’s a building on the left that we enter.

: Of course. My name is Hershel Layton, professor of archaeology, Gressenheller University.

: Charmed, sir. Welcome to Dropstone, Professor Layton. My name is Dorothea and I am a maid in the service of the Anderson family. Tell me, what brings you to our humble village.

: My companions and I are after an artefact known as the Elysian Box. Have you heard that name before.

: Hmm, can’t say that I have. But the master is quite knowledgeable about curiosities such as that.

: The master, madam?

: Oh yes, excuse my thoughtlessness. I keep forgetting you’re new here. You see, I’d venture there’s not a single resident of our village who doesn’t know Mr Anderson.

: I see. Well, if it’s possible, we’d be very grateful for an audience with Mr Anderson.

: Normally I’d say he’d be glad to receive you, but lately he’s been preoccupied with his daughter.

: I don’t mean to pry, but has there been some issue between Mr Anderson and his daughter?

: Secretly planning a trip alone? I hope she’s not planning to run away…

: What’s worse is that the master has started to suspect something is going on behind his back. But after much discussion, we servants have decided to give her a warm send-off.

: So you’re in support of allowing this girl to go off on her own? Why is that?

: I see. May I enquire as to what those wishes might have been?

: Well… I myself have only heard scraps of the story from other people, so I can’t say much. But whatever the request, it’s one that the young mistress seems to feel is extremely important. Oh, look at that. Here I am gossiping away when there’s supper to prepare. Please excuse me, Professor Layton. I need to get back to work.

: Oh, wait a second! ...Rats, she’s gone. Is it just me, Professor, or does it sound like Mr Anderson’s daughter is planning to leave home? If she is, doesn’t it seem strange to you that the family servants are cheering her on?

: Yes, very. And think about the consequences should Mr Anderson find out what’s been going on. The servants must have a truly solid reason if they’ve resolved to keep a secret like this.

Indeed. Dorothea in particular has done an excellent job keeping the trip a secret.

: You’re not the only one, Luke. But enough speculation. Let’s go and explore more of the village.

: OK, Professor!

Oh thank god, it’s been way too long since our last puzzle. We haven’t had this many words between puzzles since the prologue.

: Yep, he’s a cute one. Oh, if you like cats, Professor, I’ve got just the puzzle for you!

This puzzle should look familiar.

Comparing A, B, or C with the picture on the far left is a lot of work, and it can be hard to find differences. So why not forget about that black-and-white picture for a moment and just focus on finding the differences between pictures A, B, and C?
Don’t forget to look at those lines in the background.
The eyebrows on each cat are worth a look too!

Back outside, we head up the road.

: I was hoping for a freebie, so I told Mr Beluga one of my puzzles to break the ice. Unfortunately for me, he got all hot under the collar when he couldn’t solve it. Here, maybe you’ll have better luck with it.

Slide puzzle.

There are probably a few boxes you’re dying to move right off the bat, but if they’re stuck in place, start by moving the boxes you can to free up some space.
Start with the two square boxes on the left. Moving them up as far as they will go should help you clear enough space to move one of the rectangular red boxes below.
Move one of those green square boxes down into the space where your luggage will eventually go to help you free up some space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntTf_25MxE8

: With people like you around, maybe we might actually solve the mystery of the Molentary Express. People say that the train occasionally makes a stop at a phantom town found on no map. Could just be a wild rumour, though. Who knows?

: An uncharted town?! Wow, I wonder if that’s true!

: Yes, and the weather is so nice that even the animals grazing in the field seem to be in a good mood. Hmm, this seems like the perfect time for a quick puzzle. See if you can solve this one.

When crossing back over from B to A, you want to move as quickly as possible, so make sure you put yourself in a position to cross over to A on the one-hour horse when possible. However, if you always make traveling back on your one-hour horse your top priority, you may end up wasting time on other legs of the journey. Don’t assume you always need to return from B to A on the one-hour horse.
In order to move all your horses from A to B in the shortest amount of time, you’ll need to cross over from A to B three times and return from B to A twice. How do you make the most effective use of this limited number of crossings?
First, bring your one-hour and two-hour horses over to B, then return to A on your one-hour horse. Next, bring your four- and six-hour horses over to B and return to A on your two-hour horse. This method minimizes the overall amount of time necessary to move all your horses to point B.

: Of course, Luke. Animals enjoy nature’s glory as much as you and I do, if not more so.

I can only assume that we got this from one of the horses or something. 7/10 parts.

We can’t go up any further, so we’ll head right.

: It is impressive, to say the least. I’m sure that massive manor belongs to Mr Anderson.

: So that’s where Inspector Chelmey and his assistant went, right?

: I’d like to see this place for myself. Can we go and take a look?

: No, for now I think our best course of action is to gather what information we can in the village. Besides, I imagine the Andersons already have their hands full with their current guests.

: Good afternoon. What are you doing there, sir?

: Me? Oh, I’m just doing a little fishing in this here lake.

: Sounds like a lot of work. Have you had much luck?

: Actually, that’s a good question. Now that I think about it, how many have I managed to catch today?

Why not try sketching the parts of the net that you can’t see?
When fully drawn out, the net is one strange and complicated shape.
Since the rim of the whole net is fashioned from a single piece of rope with no tears, take the drawing you did for Hint One and count the number of fish on the inside of the net. That’s your answer.

Nothing else of interest here, so we head back to the left.

: Well look who it is.

: Hello, Inspector. Are you returning from the Anderson estate?

: Hmph, I don’t know where you get your information, Layton, but you’re as sly as a fox. As a matter of fact, I did just come from there, but Mr Anderson himself wasn’t home. Seems he’s off presiding over some livestock competition or other. A likely story, I’m sure.

: I’m curious… Have you found a connection between Mr Anderson and the case you’re investigating?

: Not that it’s any of your business, but perhaps you can be of help. I’d heard rumours that he had tried to find this Elysian Box in the past, so I went to talk to him. But when I got to the house the butler told me he wasn’t home and that I should leave at once! Can you believe it? Mind you, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was just pretending not to be at home.

: But why would Mr Anderson be interested in the Elysian Box in the first place?

: It’s anyone’s guess, Luke. We won’t know more until we can ask him in person.

: In that case, I suppose we should head over to the livestock competition Mr Anderson is judging.

: Hmph, fine! Let his baronship roll around in the mud with his precious cows. I shall be elsewhere! As far as I’m concerned, the whole thing’s nothing more than a frivolous distraction for the rich! I can only assume his obsession with the box stems from the excess of time and money on his hands. If you see anything that might help this investigation, report it to me straight away, you hear?

: We are always happy to cooperate, Inspector. Now, please excuse us.

: Fine, off you go. Come along, Barton. We’ve got work to do.

: All right, we’d better hurry back to the competition grounds!

Nah, there’s a guy with a puzzle.

: Um, Professor? I think this chap here fell asleep standing up!

: Judging by his uniform, he must be a security guard. I certainly don’t approve of sleeping on the job…

: Zzz… Perimeter is secuuure… Please confirm identity by solving this puzzle… Snork!

Carefully study how the ropes are wrapped around each other. In at least a few places, the ropes may appear entangled but can actually be removed easily from the pile with a single tug. You’ve probably experienced this phenomenon before when untangling a mess of appliance wires at home.
Pay special attention to the length of red rope forming a loop, as this portion of the rope will form a knot when pulled and is the key to solving this puzzle. Remember, any loops that aren’t caught within the knot that forms don’t count toward your answer.
Do you see the yellow loop of rope? It may look tangled in with the others, but it turns out that when it’s pulled, this rope will slip free of all the other ones in the pile. Now, what about those other two ropes?

Puzzles in this Update:

Comparing A, B, or C with the picture on the far left is a lot of work, and it can be hard to find differences. So why not forget about that black-and-white picture for a moment and just focus on finding the differences between pictures A, B, and C?
Don’t forget to look at those lines in the background.
The eyebrows on each cat are worth a look too!

When crossing back over from B to A, you want to move as quickly as possible, so make sure you put yourself in a position to cross over to A on the one-hour horse when possible. However, if you always make traveling back on your one-hour horse your top priority, you may end up wasting time on other legs of the journey. Don’t assume you always need to return from B to A on the one-hour horse.
In order to move all your horses from A to B in the shortest amount of time, you’ll need to cross over from A to B three times and return from B to A twice. How do you make the most effective use of this limited number of crossings?
First, bring your one-hour and two-hour horses over to B, then return to A on your one-hour horse. Next, bring your four- and six-hour horses over to B and return to A on your two-hour horse. This method minimizes the overall amount of time necessary to move all your horses to point B.

Why not try sketching the parts of the net that you can’t see?
When fully drawn out, the net is one strange and complicated shape.
Since the rim of the whole net is fashioned from a single piece of rope with no tears, take the drawing you did for Hint One and count the number of fish on the inside of the net. That’s your answer.

Carefully study how the ropes are wrapped around each other. In at least a few places, the ropes may appear entangled but can actually be removed easily from the pile with a single tug. You’ve probably experienced this phenomenon before when untangling a mess of appliance wires at home.
Pay special attention to the length of red rope forming a loop, as this portion of the rope will form a knot when pulled and is the key to solving this puzzle. Remember, any loops that aren’t caught within the knot that forms don’t count toward your answer.
Do you see the yellow loop of rope? It may look tangled in with the others, but it turns out that when it’s pulled, this rope will slip free of all the other ones in the pile. Now, what about those other two ropes?

Accursed Walrus fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 6, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

033: 7 fish are in the net.
044: Only the green rope will be caught in the knot.

It's really nice to be caught up on this and able to join in the fun again!

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 051: B is the correct reflection. A has a difference in the eyelids, and C has a difference in the whiskers.

Puzzle 038: Take the two fastest horses (1 and 2) to point B. Time elapsed: 2 hours. Ride your fastest horse back. Time elapsed: 3 hours. Take the two slowest horses (4 and 6) to B. Time elapsed: 9 hours. Ride the 2-hour horse back. Time elapsed: 11 hours. Take horses 1 and 2 back to point B and you're done. Total time elapsed: 13 hours. You could also have ridden the 2-hour horse back first, and the fastest horse back the second time, but the total would have still been 13 hours.

Puzzle 033: This one's much easier to follow than most puzzles of this type, for some reason. There are 7 fish caught in the net.

Puzzle 044: I'm terrible at visualizing knots, but it looks like 2 loops will be caught: the orange and the green ones. The blue should slip out.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
44: They'll all slip loose. Blue is around the whole thing, green does dip into the knot area but really it's only around a loose end. Yellow is tricky, but it's under the knot and not through it. 0

Added Space fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 3, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

51: It's a hard one, but the answer is B. A has a shortened eyebrow, while the vertical bar in the background of C is smaller, just look at were the ear is in relation to the white bar within the black bar.

44 Green gets caught, it loops around the part of the big rope where the knot will be. Yellow is a bit difficult, but looking at it more carefully, it stays in front of the big rope and behind the green one at all times at the right side, while it goes behind the big rope on the left side, but there it's past where the knot gets. That little 'eye' it seems to pass through on the left is an illusion that wouldn't be there if you'd look at it from any other direction, and won't be part of the knot. Blue is clearly uninvolved. The answer is 1.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It stops at a phantom village, huh? Well, at least we know where our third party member got on the train.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Cow Puns

Puzzles in the Previous Update:

We still have at least one more puzzle of this variety, so I'll wait again on discussing the 'trick' to these (though I'd imagine many of you have worked it out, whether you realize it or not).

Grab a pencil and draw it out.

This one gave the thread the most trouble. Everyone agreed that the blue loop would be free of the knot, but only Added Space got this one correct.

Music: Dropstone

: He must be hopelessly addicted to puzzles if he’s talking about them in his sleep. Even I don’t do that!

I… I don’t believe you, Layton.

: Nyum nyum… Zzzzzz…

Moving back up the road.

I’m starting to realize that these directions probably aren’t very helpful. I’ll draw a map later.

: It’s pretty much useless as it is. Can you think of a way to turn the pieces into a solid square?

Due to me dropping one of the DLC updates before this, this style of puzzle should look familiar.

The final square will be four units tall by four units wide.
You have to cut the board in two separate places to solve this puzzle.
Doesn’t that area around the hole in the board look like a good place to cut?

That makes 8.

No, this isn’t the same screenshot as before. Balsa has two puzzles in a row for us.

How do you even do that? I guess she could have been trying to cut out an S for the sign on her shed or something, but she should have really cut from the edge to minimize waste.

Just like in the first board-splitting puzzle, you need to cut the board in two places to make a second piece. Don’t forget, since you’ll be combining these two pieces into a single rectangle, you need to make sure all the little gaps and protrusions in your two boards fit together snugly.
After you make your cuts, you won’t need to rotate either piece to make them fit together as a rectangle.
When cut properly, the two boards both have a maximum length of four units. To make a piece with that length, try cutting the board below the fourth square down from the upper-left corner. You’ll need to make one more cut, but we’ll leave that one to you.

: Something amazing! I thought I’d have to scrap this board, but now I can use it to build my shed.

Part number 9. One more and we can get on repairing the camera.

And now we actually get back to the competition.

: Whew, we made it back in time to catch the competition!

: If we’ve been informed correctly, Mr Anderson is judging the entries.

: So he should be somewhere around here, right?

: Indeed. I wonder which of the gentlemen walking around here is our man.

: Uh-oh, it looks like the two men over there are getting pretty hot under the collar about something.

: I wonder what the matter is.

: I know what’s going on here. Someone’s swapped my prize cow for this low-class heifer!

: Well, what do you want me to do about it? Can you at least point out which cow is yours?

: Now how do you expect me to do that?

Well, even if you can’t figure out which cow is yours, we could show you each of them in turn and eliminate them. Eventually we’d get the answer.

Then again, the competition is probably about to start, we might not have time for that…

: Oh dear. This is going to get ugly.

: What’s wrong mister?

: This fella here seems convinced someone’s swapped his prize cow for another cow.

: I’m tellin’ you, that ain’t no cow of mine. My girl was perfect from horns to tail!

: There’s just no convincing him. We can’t start the contest with him carrying on, but I don’t know how we can clear the situation up.

: I’ll take care of this! The cows are sure to know if any monkey business has gone on.

: Of course, why didn’t I think of that myself? I’ll leave this one to you, Luke.

: I see.

Luke can talk to animals, by the way. I think Curious Village said that Luke had a way with animals, but I believe this is the first time Luke’s been shown to explicitly talk with animals.

: Did you find out anything of use?

: I certainly did. If I had to sum up our conversation, it’d go something like this…

I think you probably understand the name of the update now.

Don’t overthink this one. Assume a variety of possibilities and try each one.
Assign a breed to a cow and then run through all the cows’ statements to see if they are consistent with your findings. You should come across the solution soon.
Let’s assume for a moment that cow A is a Troomoo. If you assume this to be true and go through the statements for each cow, you should come to the conclusion that you must have three Troomoo cows and two Nowheys. Since you know this to be false, you know that your original assumption must be incorrect.

: Things should be all sorted out now though!

: Oh, you betcha! Look at that build! That lustrous sheen! That soulful gaze! That’s my cow, no doubt!

: So everything’s OK, then?

: Better than OK, kid! With my darlin’ back, I’m a shoo-in for that blue ribbon. Thanks!

: Well, Luke, you certainly have a way with animals.

: Aw, it’s nothing really. Hee hee.

: Look over here, you two. They’re about to announce the winner.

: You shouldn’t have swapped your cow back, Clabber. If you’d kept quiet you’d be the winner, eh?

: I was robbed! Robbed! The competition must’ve been rigged. Rigged, I tell you!

: Yes, I suppose it goes to show that things don’t always go as planned in life.

: Right you are, Professor. Say, shouldn’t Mr Anderson be around here now?

: It’s going to take some effort to find him in a crowd this dense. Let’s look around a bit.

: Well, from the look of your duds, I’d say you’ve got your act together, so try this puzzle on for size.

You know that C’s wearing red pants and isn’t wearing anything he was previously, so his shirt has to be blue.
C’s the only one of the three men not wearing any of the items he was wearing originally.
A and B must both be wearing a single piece of clothing -- shirt or pants -- that they were previously.

: Rule number two? No one can pull off sequins.

The following scene activates as soon as you try to leave the area.

: Yes, what a pity. I had a feeling he’d provide us with a lead on the Elysian Box.

: I heard you chatting about Mr Anderson and thought to myself, “Hey, I can help!”. Here, I’ll point him out.

Keep in mind that all this information is describing Mr Anderson as he was “a minute ago.” Things can change, so don’t rely too heavily on the description.
The wind in Dropstone seems exceptionally strong today.
”Over there! See the guy chasing after his hat? That’s him!”

Puzzles in this Update:

The final square will be four units tall by four units wide.
You have to cut the board in two separate places to solve this puzzle.
Doesn’t that area around the hole in the board look like a good place to cut?

Just like in the first board-splitting puzzle, you need to cut the board in two places to make a second piece. Don’t forget, since you’ll be combining these two pieces into a single rectangle, you need to make sure all the little gaps and protrusions in your two boards fit together snugly.
After you make your cuts, you won’t need to rotate either piece to make them fit together as a rectangle.
When cut properly, the two boards both have a maximum length of four units. To make a piece with that length, try cutting the board below the fourth square down from the upper-left corner. You’ll need to make one more cut, but we’ll leave that one to you.

Don’t overthink this one. Assume a variety of possibilities and try each one.
Assign a breed to a cow and then run through all the cows’ statements to see if they are consistent with your findings. You should come across the solution soon.
Let’s assume for a moment that cow A is a Troomoo. If you assume this to be true and go through the statements for each cow, you should come to the conclusion that you must have three Troomoo cows and two Nowheys. Since you know this to be false, you know that your original assumption must be incorrect.

You know that C’s wearing red pants and isn’t wearing anything he was previously, so his shirt has to be blue.
C’s the only one of the three men not wearing any of the items he was wearing originally.
A and B must both be wearing a single piece of clothing -- shirt or pants -- that they were previously.

Keep in mind that all this information is describing Mr Anderson as he was “a minute ago.” Things can change, so don’t rely too heavily on the description.
The wind in Dropstone seems exceptionally strong today.
”Over there! See the guy chasing after his hat? That’s him!”

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Puzzle 50: A, C, and E are liars. If B is telling the truth, then C is lying about A telling the truth, which makes D truthful about E lying, which again makes B truthful.

Puzzle 39: A will be wearing a Red Shirt and White Trousers, B will be wearing a White Shirt and Blue Trousers, and C will be wearing a Blue Shirt and Red Trousers.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

042:

043:

050:If A were telling the truth, D would be a liar, and that would mean E is telling the truth about B being a liar, which means that C is telling the truth. But the puzzle states that there are only two cows that tell the truth, so clearly A is actually a liar, D is a truth teller, E is a liar, B is a truth teller and C is a liar.

039:C isn't wearing any white clothes, his shirt and trousers don't match and he's got red trousers on so he must have the blue shirt. A and B each have one piece of their clothes still, so A has the red shirt and white trousers and B has the white shirt and blue trousers.

048:

...timg doesn't work in spoiler tags :sigh:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Answer 43:

And just click those two pieces in.

Answer 39:

A: Red Shirt, White pants
B: White Shirt, Blue Pants (Both A and B kept one article of clothing, so the clothing they got from C must be White, and they kept the other)
C: Blue Shirt, Red Pants (The one given is the red trousers, and his shirt has changed colour and cannot be red.)

Answer 42:

Cut an L block off the top, and slide it 1 spot to the right and one spot down.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle 042: Two one-segment cuts, one horizontal cut between A5 and A4, and
one horizontal cut between C4 and C3. This will divide the board into an
inverted-L tetris piece and the rest of the square. Now slide the inverted
L one unit right and one unit down, and you have the square.

Puzzle 043: Like 042, make two horizontal one-segment cuts. The first one
will be between A4 and A3, and the second one will be between D5 and D4.
Without needing to rotate the pieces, the second one can be lifted up, slid
one unit right and three units up, and then dropped into place to form the
rectangle.

Puzzle 050: Let's rephrase the cows' statements to make them easier to read, like so:

A: D lies.
B: C lies.
C: A is truthful.
D: E lies.
E: B lies.

If C truthful, then so is A, and the rest must be lying since there are only two Troomoo cows. But D says that E lies, so that would mean E was truthful... which gives us three Troomoo cows, contrary to what the puzzle states.

Therefore C is a liar, and so is A. So D is truthful, E is a liar, and B is truthful. The two Troomoo cows are B and D, and the three liars are A, C and E.

Puzzle 039: C is wearing A's red trousers, so A must have kept his red shirt. Since C doesn't completely match and isn't wearing his original clothes either, his shirt must be blue, and B is wearing the white shirt. B can't be wearing the white pants, so they're on A, and B is wearing his original blue pants.

A: red shirt, white pants
B: white shirt, blue pants
C: blue shirt, red pants

Puzzle 048: Mr Anderson is the one in the upper left, whose bowler hat just blew away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord this town is just vomiting characters all over us.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario

Glazius posted:

Good lord this town is just vomiting characters all over us.

Yes, yes it is. I have a theory on why that is, but I can't say right now; give it a few updates.

Here, a quick game to play if you're bored: by my count, 35 named characters have been introduced to us. How many names can you actually recall without looking back through updates?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Accursed Walrus posted:

Yes, yes it is. I have a theory on why that is, but I can't say right now; give it a few updates.

Here, a quick game to play if you're bored: by my count, 35 named characters have been introduced to us. How many names can you actually recall without looking back through updates?

Inspector Gadget, the hamster, and the rich woman with the dogchild.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014
42: Make an L piece with the top row and the right block on the next row down.

43: It looks like you just cut after the 4th row on the left and the 3rd row on the right.

50: I think B and D are the Troomoos, A, C and E are Nowheys.

39: A has a red shirt with white pants, B has a white shirt with blue pants, C has a blue shirt with red pants

48: He's thie bald guy in the upper left going after the hat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can someone tell me about the rich lore of the laytonverse? For example I have no clue who that girl is.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Air is lava! posted:

Can someone tell me about the rich lore of the laytonverse? For example I have no clue who that girl is.
You mean Flora, the girl with Layton and Luke?
In the previous game a Baron in a far away town died and in his will he said that whoever solved the mystery in the town inherits his fortune, but no-one can solve the puzzle so his family summons Layton to the town to solve the mystery for them.
Long story short the whole thing is a test by the Baron to find a suitable guardian for his daughter Flora after his death, so after solving all the puzzles Layton and Luke leave the town with Flora.
None of the games actually spell out what happened afterwards but I guess Flora lives with Layton as his adopted daughter or something because she keeps joining Layton and Luke on their adventures.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
DLC Set 2

This isn’t a story update, because Real Life has kept me fairly busy for a bit. The next story update will be done probably around Thursday.

Instead, enjoy a DLC update. A bit on the short side, but there are 33 weekly puzzles total which I’ve divided into sets of 3, so one of these DLC updates had to be a 3 puzzle one anyways.

If you added B and B together, the digit in the ones place the last digit) of the resulting sum would equal A. Since no two single digit numbers can add up to more than 18, you know the number in the tens place of the sum of B+B must be one. The only other value that influences the tens place in the solution is the A in AB+B. Therefore, A+1 must equal B.

Subtraction? No, that’s not it. You want to add. ADD! ADD! ADD ALL YOU CAN!

Bring down the green upside-down L at the top-left corner to the same level as the top blue gate-shaped block. Once you’ve cleared a path, drag the blue gate-shaped block up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bE_bdA31MI

Answers will be posted with the next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Puzzle W07: 89 + 9 = 98. A = 8, B = 9

Puzzle W08: It looks like you take the difference of the two squares above and put that in the square below, and that would seem to work for all but the upper right-hand section of the puzzle. If that was the case, the question-mark square would be 2. But in fact, the actual answer is to add the digits of the two squares above, and put the digit sum in the square below. Which means the question-mark square should be 16.

• Locked thread