Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Re: there being no good skins to get now that the Odyssey is over:

-He Bro is one of the very best skins and voice packs in the game. Playing with this skin increases enjoyment by at least 300%. His long rambling joke about catching a sweet wave may be the best voice line in the game.

-Dark Lord Wukong. Really great skin, sweet voice pack.

-Ah Muzen Cab's Dark Whisperer skin lets you play as Cthulhu which is pretty wonderful.

-Swagni and Lil' Mana are there still if you want to annoy your teammates. Lil' Mana's beatboxing is actually really funny.

The other good skins to sweep up if they ever become available again are Elvis Bacchus and Frankenhotep Osiris... every time I play my Elvis Bacchus my entire team is rolling, the voice is unbelievably funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Tierlist for all you lil scrubs out there.

S+
Support: Elvis Bacchus
ADC: Ah Musing Crab
Solo: Elvis Bacchus
Jungle: Elvis Bacchus
Mid: Elvis Bacchus

A++++
Support: Nerd Rage Cabrakan
ADC: Q Pid
Solo: Frankenhotep Osiris
Jungle: Meme Spammin' Freya
Mid: He Bro

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I'm only garbage at this game because everyone else is garbage and drags me down with them into the trash compactor

But really no matter how bad you are at this game, Arena and Assault are always fun and a good way to practice and get better. Always remember to hail satan before a game to ensure you succeed in your sweet jukes and berserker plays

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

DurosKlav posted:

I die a lot. Mainly because I play assault and I get so tired of everyone sitting back all the drat time. So I just go all in a lot and of course no one ever follows me. :(

gently caress them all, they lack your berserker spirit. maybe at the sight of your heroic death to 3 enemy ults they will grow some balls and try a thing to hurt the other mans.

edit: also ALWAYS go for the jump party gambit.*

*the jump party gambit is where you rush to the enemy tower line ASAP and try to start a jump party with the other team before minion arrival; the goal of which is for you to draw out all their ults in a shortsighted attempt to kill you, or to have a fun jump party for a few seconds as you draw them towards the middle of the lane and then turn on an enemy squishy and murder them in a treacherous display of cunning

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 4, 2015

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
who would ever listen to a guy named brandon

the guy has 0 credibility from birth, then he doubles down on it by being a big douchebag in video games. i hope no one takes that poo poo seriously. if so lol because I am gonna waddle up with my elvis bacchus and smash their faces in then jump away leaving devastation in my wake. UH-HUH

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Minrad posted:

Friends have been playing this for like two weeks now so I finally gave in and tried it, and bought the god pack within 24 hours. :v:

Still meandering my way through heroes to try everything, can anyone recommend more heroes with super fluid gameplay like Chronos? He's been the most intense (in a fun way) hero I've tried, with rapidly checking your passive before you speed boost, landing your short cooldown aoe nuke, and finding the best way to position to land your stun on as many heroes as possible, all in the back of your mind trying to remember where you were 8 seconds ago and if you can use that to back up and catch stragglers or retreat to the back of the fight, etc. I've carried hard both times I've tried him and he's probably my favorite out of everything I've tried so far.

I am so disappointed in my fellow goons for not recommending the most fluid of fluid gods, He Bo. He is an extremely well realized character who doesn't play like the other mages but does have some similarity to Chronos. He surfs around the enemy team blasting them at close quarters or knocking them up from a distance and is heavily based around positioning, movespeed, cooldowns, and sick plays. He was my first love when I started playing this game and his He Bro skin remains the best in the game. He can carry hard in any mode and to me it doesn't seem like he is late or early game or whatever, just all around great. He can cross the map fast for ganks (though not as fast as Janus) and his kit is extra deadly in the jungle chokepoints.

I think he is hideously underplayed right now too which might be an advantage for those of us who are good with him.

Also, I hope that Merc skin has a hilarious voicepack. Does anyone know?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Have any of these guys gone into why they think my homey Bacchus is bad? Obviously he is a bit less powerful in conquest than assault or arena, but he is naturally tanky as gently caress and can make a lot of plays with his mix of CC/tank/burst/disrupt. with a bit of armor I think he can tank turrets better than anyone except herc who needs a little nerfing.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Ymir dance. YMIR DANCE!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Does this mega64 guy do the voice of Nerd Rage Cabrakan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzyUcXR05Z4

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Jeremor posted:

Assault is the best mode. Always assaulting.

I've been saving up favor to unlock another god, and I'd appreciate some opinions. I recently had a great round as Neith, sort of enjoy shooting the hell out of dudes, but I also like support. Usually make a good Ymir. I get a perverse pleasure out of CCing dudes and imagining them being very annoyed. Any suggestions?

Ymir might be the most solid support. His 3 is probably the best CC in the game, pound for pound, because of its fast cooldown, cone, and high stun time. I think everyone should own and master him!

Sylvanus also has sick CC but for the purposes of assault he is a healer so you will be pigeonholed into that role. But if you are good at landing Syl's 1, then you can follow up with a grab and then his ult knockup for maximum lockdown. It's a combo that completely turns the tide of teamfights and aside from the ult portion has a much faster cooldown than Fenrir's grab which has a comparable effect. I find him extremely fun to play because he is more of a combat healer than a stay-back healer, intentionally body blocking shots to trigger his passive and picking up kills with his DOTs on low health, fleeing enemies.

If you want to go shooting and CCing, Anhur is a very safe and high damage hunter. His 1 is a high damage CC/knockback/escape, his 2 is a sweet disruption tool, and his 3 is an escape/engage/knockup. Then you just face dudes and hit his 4 to blast everyone with a stream of constant damage. All anhur needs to be the best hunter in the game is a really good skin. (gently caress the olympics)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Psychotron posted:

If assault is your thing, and you like hunters, I'd recommend AMC. He isn't too difficult to learn and he absolutely shreds in assault. He doesn't have an escape though like Neith or Anhur, so you have to be more vigilant of your positioning.

Edit: Sobek is pretty OP in assault of you like support. Hardest part is getting used to landing his 1 (dash/throw.).

I'm also a huge fan of AMC, and as you say he has less of an escapey playstyle than Anhur. If you go with AMC, Jeremor, you would perhaps want to start with a cooldown item (jotunn's) and meditation so that you can spam your badass 2 forever from a distance then zoom in to kill with your low-cooldown Ult.. While with Anhur, it might be smarter to go Executioner or one of the bows and really get in the thick of the battle and then jump out when your life is threatened.

So they are two really solid hunters with different playstyles, and it can actually be good to try them in another mode like Joust to get a feel for which style you like more before purchasing them for real.

edit: also I should mention about AMC, since he doesn't have real escapes he can teach you a lot about juking and boxing and using movespeed to duck behind teammates and minions to absorb enemy attacks while blasting through them with your abilities.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

cyclonic posted:

Lower level games he's a pub stomper. After that, he's high risk/high reward. Mid-level games he falls off because not enough people follow-through after escapes and ults are down.

He's one of few tanks that can poo poo out crazy damage while building tanky and can carry at low level games. Typically considered more a bruiser than an actual support.

If you like him and "shooting the hell put of dudes," you might like Ullr.

edit-
He has one of the worst clears in the game, and to compensate you need Mystical Mail which is usually frown upon on supports. Good starting/core items: CDR boots, Mystical Mail, Voidstone.

Well the thing about Ares' clear is that he usually plays support and saves mana for combat, and in Arena and Assault he doesn't need to clear either and can focus on tossing chains all the time.

At first most Ares players suck at landing chains so it can be better to rush Breastplate on him for that sick cooldown. It's one thing to pay the Ares tax with beads, it's another to do it and have his ult always come up faster than beads so he gets you no matter what. Starting Breastplate reduces your damage a bit but is a good alternative to missing a bunch of chains and then having your ult fizzle.

Another thing that makes Ares sick for Assault and Arena is that if you want to, you can build nothing but Aura items on him and be not only an annoying rear end chain-crippling-blink-ulting psycho, but you can be a huge force multiplier for all your buddies. And since the lane in Assault is so narrow, Aura items (and his huge ult radius) become better than in other modes.

My general recommendation for people who are new and playing new champs in Assault: Start with one of the big cooldown items (Chronos Pendant on Mage, Breastplate on tanks and Jotunn's on phys) and Meditate. The more you use your skills, the better you will get with them, and even if you suck at landing your ult, at least you get more opportunities. Cooldown Breastplate on Hun Batz, for example, can straight up win you the match even if you don't do a high amount of damage. When I was extra lovely with Xbal I did the same thing except with Jotunn's for cooldown and just used his ult all the time while hanging back.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
HiRez plz match guardian for guardian in Assault. And unlock multiple healer/guardian teams, just make them equal. Having games with 2 or 3 healers on each side would be totally sick. Broken, but in a good way.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I'm reading a book on Everest that features some descriptions of the Tibetan mythologies, and stumbled upon this dude who was God of War for the Mongols.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begtse

"Wrathful Deities" sound perfect for the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrathful_deities

But I wonder about the politics of these dieties with the massive chinese demographic the devs aim to appease. Anyone know?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

skipThings posted:

There will never be anything Tibetan in a game sponsored by a Chinese company

That's what I'm thinking, too.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I'm gonna make a Smite Skin tier list soon. Derpules is SS++ Tier and you are a scrub if you think otherwise!!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

I have some extra skins from PAX: three each of Convention Skin Tyr and Alienware Ra.

To claim them, bug me in game.

Can't say I've seen Squashy Nipples in chat, what times are you online? I could really use that Tyr skin!

(I'm Grindylow in game)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

Oh, okay. i didn't realize so much had changed since a month or two ago when that build was made. Thanks.

What I'v seen zap doing is dev -> boots -> icha -> dev -> rage -> deathbringer -> sell icha for obow

If you are new, don't worry too much about that kind of progression. Also, that's just for conquest and the most popular mode in the game is Arena which has a different meta. Assault also favors different items and actives.

For instance I like to get cooldown (Jotunn's) on Ah Muzen Cab and Xbal because I love spamming their abilities. I don't see people theorycrafting the damage potential of landing AMC's 2 on multiple people more often or Xbal's 2 and 3 and ult VS focusing on auto attacks with crit and lifesteal. Too often people think that if you don't rush pure damage on certain gods that you are loving the whole team over, when in fact you might be making a shitload more plays by having your ult and escapes coming up 40% faster.

TL/DR don't worry about high level conquest, it breeds toxicity in casual conquest

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm probably never going to play Arena or Assault past my first win of the day, and I'll probably never queue casual conquest after I hit 30 and get league conquest. That's why I'm trying to learn it.

:barf:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I quit LoL because of the culture of ragey douchebags noting your every mistake and commenting on it, and the endless laying of blame. Over all the Smite player base is better than LoL's but conquest still makes people act like shits against their own teammates. I blame DMBrandon. (not really, he's just an example of the kind of conquest player I find toxic)

And at least if someone turns into a toxic shithead in Arena or Assault, you can lose and move on instead of being trapped in 20 minutes of failed surrender vote hell.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

dmbrandon, noted toxic shitlord for trying to be good at a game he likes

haha no. he's a toxic shitlord because that's his attitude. you can be good at the game without being a lovely person.

coca bojangles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wpxCkwJhHE

DM preaches invade every game. DM the master of hindsight.

:lol:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Not for me, dude. I see you online though. Can you purchase the new skins?

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
One thing I am really stoked for is that if we are getting a Celtic pantheon, that means we are gonna get Cuchulainn, and that poo poo is gonna be crazy.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
If they went Mesopotamian would we get Puzuzu? I can only imagine him as being exactly like Cthulhu Ah Muzen Cab, but I really want my misshapen flying goat man god HiRez!

Edit I know he's not really a goatman

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 24, 2015

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
nerf herc

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo! http://www.hirezstudios.com/smite/latest-news/view/smite-blog/2015/03/27/this-weekend-x2-worshipers-bonus-gems-all-gods-free

quote:

This Saturday March 28th through Sunday March 29th, all gods will be unlocked and playable for all accounts. During this time, players will earn Double Worshipers for all games played. Players will also receive 30 Bonus Gems for each first win and 100 Bonus Gems for completing all 6 first wins on both Saturday and Sunday. This means that you can earn up to 280 Gems each day for a total of 560 Gems!

All Gods unlocked and playable
Double Worshipers
30 Bonus Gems for each first win each day
100 Bonus Gems for completing all 6 first wins each day (Max 280 gems/day)

I'm gonna want to goon it up for some first wins. Expect the game to be full of people on tilt all weekend

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
get in mumble jerkwads!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Shalhavet posted:

Does the in-game clan chat even work? I only ever see logon/off messages, even when I try and say something.

there's a bug right now where you type a message and nothing shows up... switch chat tabs to fix it and type the message again. it's bullshit and annoying but will be fixed next patch probably.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

lol @ "bathsaltsnomnom"

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm kind of peeved I bought the god pack like 5 days before it went on sale. Do they do anything for that or am I just hosed?

It doesn't hurt to send an email asking if they will give you the lower price.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
1 day left on the Curiosity chest. I'm hoping they bring back derpules and nuclear winter ymir

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I really think they should nerf the hell out of Devo Gauntlet or just remove it from the game, that would probably bring hunters in line pretty fast.

back to the heartseeker meta :D

I agree, I think they should nerf it. gently caress hunters, xboxlanque in particular.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Extra posted:

Not going to write a dissertation on this but geb, ares, and bacchus are complete ignore tier in every game I've played.

A bad god can do well in pick up games because many players refuse to build counter or play counter to gods.

knockups are countered by so many abilities...

Your recent posts in this thread have been very lacking. I'm not saying it because you are wrong, more your tone and attitude and big red title. Might want to put some effort in if you want people to take you more seriously. :glomp:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Honestly, nothing can gently caress with me on Ares in arena. Even if the whole enemy team gets beads I usually do the most damage on my team, unless an allied player goes totally ham, in which case I am often a key component in their success and come in second highest damage and often higher than the enemy team. Even if they do get beads my ult will still get a few of them every now and then, and my chains will be always crippling and loving them. Always. Saying Ares can be made irrelevant in any way is one of the main reasons you are so wrong and the way you are arguing for it doesn't even make sense. Give it up, dude. You are digging yourself a hole.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Aranan posted:

So I stumbled across this game while looking at stuff for Overwatch. I have always liked the idea of MOBAs, ever since playing some of the early maps on WC3. That said, the pretty awful community drove me away. Got a couple of questions about Smite before I try picking it up:

1) Is it easy to get games in with goons? I don't know anyone IRL who plays MOBAs or shooters anymore. Also, I've joined some existing games with a goon presence, but in a few cases, if you weren't already well-versed and had connections, it was difficult to get groups or games going.
2) I'm working nights, so what's the crowd like in the evenings and absurdly late hours (EST)?
3) There are a million freaking characters, jesus. What's a good way to figure out which ones I'll want to get good with and/or buy? In the few MOBAs I've played in the past, I gravitated toward support characters. That said, I liked pretty much all the roles. Same for liking all the roles in slower games like MMOs/RPGs (tank, dps, support).

I'll finish reading the OP and watch some gameplay videos, but figured I'd throw these questions out while I did so. Thanks.

The community for Smite absolutely owns. LoL and DOTA players are rabid dogs, Smite players are cuddly bunnies. Once in a while someone will be a douchebag but it's not constant like in LoL.

1: assuming there is room in the goon clan you can almost always join a goon or two, though in my experience full 5-man goon teams are less common and with your time zone it could be iffy

2: you can always find a game regardless of time zone, I dunno about goon pop late at night though

3: the best thing for exploring various characters is to play Assault a lot, then if you like a specific character take them into the Arena for constant team fights. Assault is the random mode and lots of people will get characters they suck with especially at low levels.

My recommendation would be to avoid Conquest for a while until you find a role/character you really enjoy, then take that character into Conquest after watching a youtube guide on how to roll with them. Also every character is viable and awesome.

Good luck!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
For casual players, unlocking gods one by one is no big deal. The god pack is by no means necessary for enjoying the game, especially with the new daily log in rewards which most older players never had. I was fairly resistant to buying the god pack for quite some time until I eventually bought it just out of goodwill towards HiRez. Particularly for players who enjoy Assault the most, having every god can be a pain in the rear end. Personally I wish I didn't have Ne Zha because I hate playing as the little poo poo, meanwhile without the god pack I was better than most Ymir players by a great deal because he was my main homie for so long and I didn't want to play anyone else. If you are having fun stomping around with a small cadre of gods, don't feel pressure to spend money. Take your time and unlock the gods you actually want to gain skill with. Having every god in the game when you have limited time to play means you aren't using 90% of the roster at any given moment.

It's also worth noting that there are a few other ways of unlocking gods/gems like Raptr and sometimes Curse, possibly other app tie-ins in that I don't know about.

Caring about 'skill' or being 'pro' and focusing only on ranked play is also a great way to stop having fun and burn out on the game. Seen it happen so many times in my years of gaming, people turn into assholes pretty rapidly when they start to care.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
On a vacation to the west coast of Vancouver Island we passed through a little town called Coombs where they have these cool boutiques selling gorgeous wooden carvings. The amazing centerpiece of one boutique was this 10-foot statue of Guan Yu carved out of camphor wood. It appeared to all be one piece and was made by 2 carvers over the span of something like 570 days. It stood about 10 feet tall with a huge war banner on his back. His staff/sword weapon thing was about 8 feet long on its own. Almost every inch was carved all over with dragons. My wife is a wimp and made me obey the "do not take photos" sign, and I foolishly hoped there would be a good pic of it online to share in this thread. Unfortunately all I could find was this closeup of Guan's face:

I'm image searching "camphor Guan Yu Carving" and this piece in Coombs of all places puts everything else I can find to shame.

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 4, 2015

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Trying this game out. I played LoL for a while a couple years ago, and that's about the extent of my MOBA experience. (I was :mediocre: ) Who should I enter as my referral?

Grindylow is my name and I would like to get some referrals please :)

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Had a disgusting Arena team today where I picked Ares then the other dudes picked Khepri, Ymir, Rama, and Merc. Rama was completely untouchable with all our bullshit CC and damage reduction and ended up going 15-0-X before we all got super cocky and he died. Ymir was 14-4-X and poor Merc was just supporting but obviously having tons of fun. I can't count the number of times someone would get caught by Ymir's wall, hit with 1 to 3 of my chains, grabbed by Khepri, and then frozen solid or fully ulted by Ymir.

I think an all guardian Arena team with a Khepri might be completely ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Khepri can't be picked right now

• Locked thread