Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Great OP.

I am PUMPED for this new Conquest map. Not so much for the visual update, which will be nice, but for the meta shake-up. Hunters will be put into a weird spot. On the one hand, mana (and therefore early lane clear) will be at a premium, making those gods that are already highly valued for their clear (Apollo, Rama, Anhur) even more valued. On the other hand, giving the hunter the attack speed buff may make a hunter or two more viable (Cupid, AMC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

PureRok posted:

Arena and Assault have the most players. Conquest and Siege are much lower.

http://smitestuff.com/statistics/#overview

Conquest is about on par with Arena and Assault. Siege is the least played mode outside of League, but just barely behind 3v3 Joust.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Did they say they're changing the mana buff somehow? I feel like I missed something.

Duo lane's mana buff is being replaced with a purple-colored 10% attack speed buff. Today's speed buff will have that portion of it removed and be a movement speed buff only.

syriquez posted:

The biggest thing that I'm curious about is if this is going to inspire more interest in the various bow items.

That's a really interesting point. I could see getting tier 2 Odysseus Bow over Death's Toll, but it would be risky.

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 16, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Oh wow, that's huge. Where did they say this? (were there more notes or anything?)

I think it's mentioned in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crWuWdNVSew

I also remember seeing an image of the updated minimap with new buff included but I can't find it.

edit: Here we go

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 16, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Related to that, I heard that HiRez's old take on Wukong would be the equivalent of a Chinese company making a game featuring Batman and portraying him as an impish half-bat half-man creature.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Athena is real big on Twitter. Everytime she does VRR she says "Retweet!" :v:

"Fist me!"

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Huge item balance patch coming next week to the PTS

https://twitter.com/HirezScott/status/556917343452811264

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Riftling posted:

Are junglers mostly limited to assassins, or do the other archetypes see some jungle play?

Ao Kuang is a mage and is really only viable in the jungle (his kit is very assassin-y). Freya can jungle in a pinch. Athena jungles surprisingly well. Some of the warriors can jungle--Tyr and Osiris do well in that role.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
It would almost be better if Apollo's 3 was a leap. At least Awilix would act as a counter.

Relatedly, I played Awilix against a team with a Hou Yi and I ruined that poor guy's day. She is the hardest of hard counters to him.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
With this patch I am crossing my fingers for major kit rehauls for Hades and Anubis to make them more than simply pubstomp gods.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Dvlos posted:

I do pretty good with anubis and the right team comp...

I'm a legendary Anubis and I love playing him, and I'm not saying he's completely poo poo tier or anything. He's just too easy to counter/lock down and requires too many items to match up against most of the other mages. And yeah, his lack of mobility during his 1 and ult really kill him. Making him mobile during his 1 would go a long way.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

That's true, but at the same time tanks are going to start being kind of stupid now.

This is somewhat curbed by tank itemization being much, much more varied. No more Watcher's->Midas->Sovereignty guaranteed starts for every single guardian in the game.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Ohhhh the tears of the Sylvanus players on the subreddit are delicious.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The REAL Gtab Fan posted:

Why do people still listen to DM.

The Most Important Question

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
He also comes from a Smash Bros background, where each character's relative power is fixed. Tier lists make sense in that setting. In an ever-changing environment like Smite, however, I don't see what purpose they serve other than reinforcing bias.

If someone wants to prioritize learning top-performing gods--and there is nothing wrong with that--they should look at god statistics from the latest pro tournaments, not this overcompensating manchild's Commandments.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Psychotron posted:

Anyone know the reasoning behind all the attack speed buffing? I'm not complaining - it just seems like something that wasn't necessary considering there's stuff that could have benefited more from some tweaking or changing.

The mana buff gave hunters with lane clear abilities a huge advantage (Rama, Apollo, Anhur), to the point where most of the others were ignored. Replacing it with an attack speed buff, in conjunction with across-the-board innate attack speed stat gains for all hunters and nerfs to those lane clearing abilities, gives all hunters a chance to excel in the meta. It also introduces the possibility of putting some attack speed-centric mages like Chronos in the duo lane.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Safety Scissors posted:

The skins that are on sale for 100 gems can be also bought for 9500 favor. Is that normally the case?

Yeah, sales only apply to gem prices. If you see something that you can buy for favor, it's always available for that amount.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Razzled posted:

Is Serqet still a pubbie reaper? Who should I play for easy kills

Thanatos, literally and figuratively.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The new UI is functional but thematically very bizarre. It's not exactly pushing the mythology angle.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The UI is so jarringly out of place that it makes me think they forked it over from Global Agenda 2.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Lest we forget Smite's humble UI beginnings...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Part of me misses those broccoli trees.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Really the ONLY reason to get BoV over Spirit Robe now is if you're up against 4 or 5 physicals. Or you're playing Kukulkan.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

DLTN posted:

there are plenty of situations in which you would build breastplate over spirit robe actually, especially considering since physical defence is much more useful than magical at all stages of the game

It's useful if you're sieging objectives, and who is good at that who would also want Breastplate?

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 14, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Zain posted:

This was posted recently -

People are saying Erez? Not sure who that is.

It was posted by Erez. He's one of the company's founders.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm going to guess Sekhmet. She(?) is a lion, that circular thing around the silhouette's neck could be a stylized solar disk, and the "gun" could be a fancied-up staff.

edit: assuming those pointed things are ears, it could also be Tefnut

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 17, 2015

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Athanatos posted:

Nailed it.

Yeah let me play that bell-shaped Doug Funny over this

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I briefly watched a stream of Divios playing Bellona in the solo lane last night. He was up against an Aphro. He maxed his 3 first, had killed Aphro 3 times before she reached level 7, and by level 10 could tower dive her for the kill whenever he wanted due to the self-heal. This is one of the top players in the world, granted, but it was pretty ridiculous to watch.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Garfu posted:

You can't rent gods per game anymore. That's pretty rear end in a top hat-y

If you go into the Gods menu and click "Unlock" you still have the option of renting them for 1, 3, or 10 days for Favor. The daily rental is 300 Favor, just 50 more than the old single-match-only rental option.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Garfu posted:

Single match was 100 favor

My bad, I thought it was 250. Sucks they got rid of that. 300 for the day is not a bad deal though.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
She can carry if you end the game early enough. Her early game is ridiculously strong for a warrior, but her damage drops off pretty hard late game and she's pretty much reduced to a utility role. I don't think she's egregiously overtuned. Her self-healing might be a little high, if anything.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Turpitude posted:

I'm reading a book on Everest that features some descriptions of the Tibetan mythologies, and stumbled upon this dude who was God of War for the Mongols.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begtse

"Wrathful Deities" sound perfect for the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrathful_deities

That would be cool. They've hinted at introducing a new pantheon sometime this year. Personally I'm hoping for Mesopotamian.

quote:

But I wonder about the politics of these dieties with the massive chinese demographic the devs aim to appease. Anyone know?

I'm not sure about the politics per se, but their relationship with Tencent gives them sort of an insider's perspective that's already greatly affected god designs. For example, their reaction to the original Sun Wukong (today's Hun Batz) was essentially "this is like if we took Batman and made him into a impish bat creature who threw around fireworks."

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Speaking of Medusa, here is some leaked concept art from PAX.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Fluegel posted:

Looks like they're really putting these Old Wa assets to work. Bellona already uses her animations/stance when she's using the scourge and it looks like they'll gonna use her snake form for this one. At least she lives on in the body parts of other gods.

Assuming they'll share assets is... quite a leap.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The quality of any given voicepack should be judged only on whether or not the VEW is an exuberant "Yes!" so I can spam VVY and VEW in that order.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

By this logic the Zeus voice pack is the best in the game, which is almost accurate (Cupid)

Yes!

YEEEEEEEESSS!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

DLTN posted:

conversely, you're like the only person i've ever seen who likes it

i mean i don't like the skin, but it's definitely not capital-b Bad unlike poo poo like derpules or the sexy nurse skin for neith

Yeah but Derpules at least gets a pass for being a direct shot at the community for complaining about New Herc's tiny head.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I haven't seen it picked up in any of the pro matches lately. Ichaival is picked up pretty frequently, though. I've gotten Odysseus Bow in Assault when I'm the only hunter and we have team-wide bad clear and that works out real well. The bounces do a surprising amount of damage over the course of the match.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The datamined Ah Puch stuff reminds me a lot of Dota2's Undying, and that prospect is very, very exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jsor posted:

I love this. Not even an effect, just "as a reminder to others".

Well, statues are collision objects, and also her 2 can be used on the statue to splash enemies behind it, so there is actually quite a bit of utility attached to it.

• Locked thread