Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

it took me 4 months to get signed up last year so good luck dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dolphin posted:

I just logged into my spouse's account to try that instead. Her old account was locked and her password no longer worked so I called tech support and they sent me a temporary password. The temporary password got me to the password reset page where it told me to reenter the temp password and create a new password. Then it said I had the wrong temporary password. The one I have saved to my clipboard. The one I just entered to get me to the password reset page.

don't bother dude, just compare the plans without being in your account, and call them to sign up. If you get someone who sounds like an idiot, hang up and call back until you get someone competent. Because some of the idiots WILL gently caress up and sign you up for the wrong plan.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

1500quidporsche posted:

I work in Health Insurance in Canada. Specifically I price out policies.

Obama Care is a loving joke up here and we wish we had something as good as that.

You fuckers are basically forced to enroll as soon as your no longer eligible under your parents. Nobody in their 20s ever claims anything so don't get insurance so the model has always been priced that way. Insurance companies are just raking in the cash by the boatload and putting it in some reserve fund so in 5-10 years they can have record profits.

I like how Republicans want to try and repeal it. The Insurance companies would have a poo poo fit if that actually happened.

that's what happens when you can't have a single payer system

:(

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

I like how my state (MN) recently got 190 million dollars to fix there hosed up MNSURE website.

Uhhhh maybe spend that money to cover people instead. Somebody make me governor.

at least you got a state exchange. you think dealing with the fed is better?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dolphin posted:

Hmm. 400/month for a basic silver plan and a $2K deductible.

gently caress it. I'll put aside 200 per month and hope I don't get ebola.

get poorer

edit: but srsly make sure you calculate the prices with your income so you can see if you'll be eligible for tax credits and price reductions.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

1500quidporsche posted:

Does somebody have a PDF of a typical plan? I'd be curious to see what they actually cover. $400/month with a $2k deductible sounds ridiculous even factoring in you guys needing to pay to see a doctor.

The plans vary by area because they're offered by your local insurance companies. There is no actual "obamacare plan" because all obamacare did was create an open marketplace where people can buy insurance from private insurance companies. So I can show you what I can get in my area, but that's totally different than what you can get. The insurance companies still control most everything, except now they have to offer it to everyone, and some other things like the birth control mandate etc.

A $400/month plan with a $2k deductible is pretty standard or ANY insurance plan, including those offered by employers. The difference is that most employers subsidize their employee's plans privately, dropping the monthly premium and deductible to whatever rate they want their employees to pay.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

etalian posted:

The bronze plans are 4k to 5k lol

and they have the smallest premiums. designed for younger, healthier people who don't go to the doctor much. Nothing's stopping anyone from choosing a plan with a lower deductible. If your income is low enough, your deductible will be $0.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dolphin posted:

I'm still young I think I'll keep my money and file for bankruptcy in the event of anything catastrophic. Then I'll blame taxpayers for not instituting a better healthcare system when I get blamed for the additional healthcare burden.

You'll be paying a rather hefty fine at tax time next year, so you might as well just get a bronze plan or something. It may even be cheaper than the penalty.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

1500quidporsche posted:

I figured that they would vary by insurance co but I just wanted to get a sense of what's being offered to you for $400/month.

Thats an insane amount of money and I've only come across a rate like that for an individual plan once up here. And that was a loaded plan for a group of really old employees.

You can go to healthcare.gov and browse the plans, just put in a zip code or whatever.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

How much do you get paid to defend this poo poo?

let the grown ups discuss things that you don't know about

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 16, 2015

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

1500quidporsche posted:

Wow you have to pay 20% of any catastrophic claims? On top of $400/month and a $2k deductible? How is the country not rioting over this?

Edit: typing up poo poo on a smartphone is hard

$400/month is not a catastrophic plan. those have much lower premiums. just go look at plans on the website

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Highbrow Slick posted:

I think they mean catastrophic in the sense of catastrophic injury, not catastrophic coverage.

oh, dur.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

Sorry I dont need the govt to give me healtcare.

that's cool brah I don't either as long as I keep getting it from private insurance companies

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

Ive actually had weird chest pains before, but instead of ER I scheduled an appt with the Dr. and they hooked up this chest monitor thing to me which I wore for a day. They checked out the results and said everything looked fine and I was on my way. Guess what, my insurance covered it.

Lifehack: Dont go to the ER unless youre dying, Dr appts are much cheaper.

I did have to pay $15 when I saw the Dr. though.

I've never had to go to the ER, therefor

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

My son went to the ER because he hit a tree while sledding and suffered a lacerated liver and fractured ribs.

450 for ambulance and 25 for the ER.

Hey cool that's about how much it would be for me too since I get insurance through a private company just like you!

see really we're all the same peace and love brah

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Anything below a platinum plan is going to be worthless and leave you bankrupt if you get really sick and need to be hospitalized. And platinum plans are basically just normal, pre-Obamacare health insurance plans that cost $300+ a month even if you're healthy.

Having a plan, even a lower one like silver, is going to prevent people from going bankrupt. There's this thing called max out of pocket per year, and those are usually under $10k, except for catastrophic plans. I'm in a silver plan and mine's like $6k/year. So if you get in a car accident and need to be in ICU for a week, the most you will spend on that hospital trip is $6k.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Dick Fagballzson posted:

You really think someone who is broke enough to be on a bronze or silver plan can afford $6K? And the deductible is so high it basically doesn't cover anything unless something catastrophic happens.

Well you're not wrong. The problem is that the plans being offered are essentially the same plans that they could have purchased individually all along from the same insurance companies (unless they had pre-existing conditions etc. where the ins co could tell them to gently caress off).

Though, if someone is unemployed for instance, the max out of pocket drops along with all the other costs, too, based on your income. That is obviously the main difference now.

Really the problem is STILL the insurance companies offering poo poo plans based on maximum profits. The problem isn't "obamacare," but since most people aren't familiar with how insurance really works, they blame obamacare. Can't blame people for not understanding though, health insurance is incredibly convoluted and hosed up in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

JB50 posted:

They shoulda called it the "Money for website developers act"

190 million to improve the website. Probably cost three times that just to set it up.

Probably. The rollout and websites and all that are hosed to all hell, but that's a different issue than the insurance companies still loving people over on top of it. Luckily you only deal with the exchanges until you choose a plan, at which point you deal exclusively with the insurance company. The only time you go back to the exchange is to change something like income or pick a new plan.

• Locked thread