Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Go to Toad's, it seems we'll be able to make more difference there. Seeing all the blood we saw in that mirror and taking into consideration the general toughness of the Fables (the Woodsman took an enchanted axe to the head and walk away mere minutes later) I figure Lawrence either will be alright on his own, or is beyond helping anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

New book of fables is up for donkeyskin girl.

It's... there are happier stories out there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
To be fair, there are also sadder stories.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
Lawrence because something tells me it'll be more fun to piss off Toad.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Neruz posted:

To be fair, there are also sadder stories.

Oh man, I should do an entry on the Little Matchstick Girl

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
Lawrence is probably more pressing. Blood and a slumped body is rather... urgent to attend to. Before the smell starts getting attention.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hahaha we're at 17-17. Time for SUDDEN DEATH. I'm recording this afternoon so probably next vote gets it!

Edit: I'm at a team-building seminar (bluuuughhhhh) so if we're still tied when I get out, I'll choose for us!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 20, 2015

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Toad, eh wot?

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
I'm not sure why you put The Maiden Without Hands in your list of alternative names for this story -- if it's the one I'm thinking of, that's Aarne-Thompson 706, and usually (though, not always due to the high amount of blending that happens, sometimes she gets balls, too) pretty distinct structurally. Though pre-Grimm versions of the tale do have the girl fending off the unwanted advances of a relative, so I guess there's your connection, it maintains a distinct typing, and should not be pulled in as another name for a Donkeyskin-like story. I think when we're analyzing stories closely, it's important to maintain these distinctions.
...Well, maybe not super-important. Maybe I just like talking about that particular story, like, a lot.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So I put that in based on its inclusion on a list, but that list was about unreliable father/ absent mothers. It had some similarities (identity confusion, punishment), but yeah, I agree it's not in the unnatural love category - it's more different than Cinderella, though I'll note that religious fairy tales take the seed of the moral and spins off significantly from it. It might be closer to donkeyskin in analytic content!

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
I don't know if you're going to bring it up later or not since you didn't mention it in the Book of Fables video, but this was hinted at by Bufkin and was part of a telling in the story of Donkeyskin. When she's making demands of her father, they are meant to be impossible and deter him, like with examples of "I want a dress as blue as the sky" or "as bright as the sun", and he manages to do it. One of those requests was she wants the skin of his prized Donkey. Why is it prized? Because it literally shits gold, and in fact is an opener of the story to explain the King's wealth in some cases. But he still gives into that demand because that's how much he doesn't actually get that he should just break off this whole thing, which is kind of a way to shift some of the blame off of the Queen...some. So yeah it does play a pretty big note in the story and why "Donkeyskin" is kind of the more definitive title.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That donkey has his own fable too, though. Not saying they aren't related, mind you. But it can still be a red herring.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Lawrence is either dead or not, but Toad's a friend and he needs help right now.

Help Toad

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright! Toad by a nose. Don't worry, I'll show the other option off, probably in the Gordon run

Vvv - he was down by a few, no worries!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 20, 2015

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Bacter posted:

Oh man, I should do an entry on the Little Matchstick Girl

I read that in a college lit course. The full story is actually so well presented in kinda haunted me. The print out the teacher had given me sat on my desk for years behind other detritus, like I just couldn't bear to touch it.

As for the vote, lets go see Lawrence. I like me a good stabbin and it seems more relevant to Faith's background, which I'm curious about.

edit: ^^ Ha. That's what I get for taking too long.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Aww yis update time!

THERE IS A VOTE TO BE TAKEN, SEE THE LABELED, SPOILER'D TEXT BELOW

I'll be honest, I'm really glad we picked this one. It fits in very nicely with my "Good Guy" run of Bigby. I mean you could ague that going to Lawerence also could fit, him looking like he was in trouble and all, but Toad was clearly in some danger, and a, uh, well I wouldn't say FRIEND, but a guy without much ability to care for himself. Again, I'll show off in an abbreviated manner what happens if you pick Lawerence.

Ok, just a few minor points about the update. Again, my stuff in this post is spoilered, but nobody else needs to use them.

Prince Lawerence will answer "Faith" "Faaaaiiittthhh" to whatever you ask him, including "Did you hurt her?" "What happened?" and "Who did this to you?" Interesting points to ponder.

Also maybe think about Dee's story vs. what we know about the gun.

Ok VOTE OPTIONS ARE IN THE SPOILER TEXT BELOW. I'm sorry if this is an awkward placement, but the timing of the next big decision means it makes the most sense to do the poll a little bit before the actual choice comes up.

Alright. So we know that Dee and Dum were rooting around aggressively looking for something Woody had. We know they didn't find it, and we know at least one of them went to Lawerence's place after he didn't find it at Toad's. So, presumably it's something related to Faith. So it would make a lot of sense to find Woody (who, you'll remember, we were told where he was by Dee!). On the OTHER hand, we've got a bone to pick with Dee and Dum, two actually since they threatened Toad and his kid. They're obviously being hired to poke into things, and they won't tell us who is doing the hiring. That would be nice to know.

At some point in the next update, we're going to have to pick between locking down the location (and the ability to pump for information) of...

Woody

~or~

Tweedledee

CAST YER VOTES!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 21, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

In the interests of keeping the update post just for updates, I've got / will have some other things to say, and will do so here.

Seeing as apparently at least a few of you have a pretty deep interest in Fairy Tales, would you want to talk shop about them at some point? I'd love to get some more perspectives for the Book of Fables section - I'm especially thinking of D3m3 and Harabeck, but anybody who's even passionate about a favorite fable, I'd like to hear why.

About the cards: we WILL be getting some more later in the game, but at least to my mind, they seem to be following a "three cards per unit" rule, so I guess it's a three-card deal.

Oh yeah, and the silent version is uploading even now.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 21, 2015

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'd say go find Woody.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
Hmm. Dee's either lying about seeing Lawrence shoot himself, or he took the gun he used. More likely the former, but I at least can't figure out where he shot himself from to make that trajectory. Was he on the bed, or the chair? Also, that looks like a suspicious amount of blood over by the right wall when facing Lawrence's chair, but I don't know what it might be.

Also voting Tweedledee. Nobody lies to Bigby.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm voting Tweedledee because how does he know Faith is dead?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

HeadGrenade posted:

Hmm. Dee's either lying about seeing Lawrence shoot himself, or he took the gun he used. More likely the former, but I at least can't figure out where he shot himself from to make that trajectory. Was he on the bed, or the chair? Also, that looks like a suspicious amount of blood over by the right wall when facing Lawrence's chair, but I don't know what it might be.
When Lawrence fell on the floor and we got a look at the left side of his head, it looked like he had an exit wound. Maybe a week ago, he shot himself in the brainmeats and then dropped the gun that Bigby found?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Woody seems like an alcoholic simpleton and is probably in over his head. Questioning him might be easier.

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013

ArchWizard posted:

When Lawrence fell on the floor and we got a look at the left side of his head, it looked like he had an exit wound. Maybe a week ago, he shot himself in the brainmeats and then dropped the gun that Bigby found?

I get that. I mean, where was he sitting when he shot himself, because whether he was in the chair or sitting on the bed, it doesn't make sense. If he shot himself on the bed, there should be more than just a pool of blood on the corner, and it probably should have struck the wall more at an angle. If he was in the chair, there should be spatter on the back of the chair and/or the wall behind him, unless he shot himself towards the right side of the screen. But, that's not where the bullet was.

I would say that it's a different bullet, but I feel like the game is more hand waving over it at this point and saying "Don't worry about it," with Bigby saying "Yeah, he could've shot himself."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's go after Tweedledee. His employer seems pretty drat involved in this.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

This. Also voting Tweedledee.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I vote Tweedledee

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Something to notice: on her photo in Lawrence's appartment Faith is not wearing that ribbon. Might be important.

As for the vote, Tweedledee.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I second this vote, with the addendum that the Tweedles need a proper pummeling; nobody suckerpunches Bigby and gets away with it scot-free.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I'm going to go against the flow and vote for Woody. He clearly has something that all these people want and it'd be nice to get ahead of them instead of playing catch-up.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Since this is a good run, I say we need to track down Woody. An evil Bigby would certainly track down Tweedledee asap, but I think trying to get to Woody is more in line with our civic duty.

As for more on Little Matchstick Girl, I think it was mostly the effective juxtaposition between the girl's situation and the families around her and in her visions. Also, I wasn't religious by the time I encountered the story, so her end seemed more sadly delusional to me than uplifting as Anderson intended.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Let's find Tweedle Dee, and this time make use of any and all [Hit Him] opportunities we can get.

Or, you know, we could save that for the rear end in a top hat Bigby run. Or the Gordan Freeman Run! :drac:

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I'm going with Woody. Let's try to get ahead of the Tweedles, and get the advantage on them that way. Exacting direct revenge is a bit too bestial, given our life goals (on this playthrough).

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I'm voting for Woody, mostly because I can't stand the Tweedles and don't want to have to look at them more than necessary. Besides, with Woody you don't have to worry about some twin knocking your brains out from behind.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

In case this influences anybody's vote, a good Bigby wouldn't beat up anybody he wasn't in a fight with. Not that that rules out treating the Tweedles harshly, just that it'd have to be a brawl, not torture!

HeadGrenade
Aug 7, 2013
No, but with Woody, you do have to worry about an axe to the front of your skull. The Tweedle brothers (Unless both the game and Bacter are trolling us, and Bigby is in the hospital or dead now) don't want a direct confrontation with Bigby. They either want his help, or want him on the sidelines. I'm not sure we need to beat up the Tweedles, but they know more of what's going on than we do, one of them assaulted another citizen and threatened them with death, and the other either lied about what happened at the crime scene or took evidence from it (either the gun was fired before he arrived, or there was a second gun).

Woody is also a citizen of Fabletown, and he deserves to be protected and it is our job as Sheriff to make sure he's not harmed, but this wasn't about saving him like with Toad, this is about information and interrogation. He may be the other person to see Faith last, but that doesn't necessarily mean he knows something about her.

Pyrogenesis
Feb 19, 2013

So much more happened in the apartment than the shot to the head, what with the knife and the pills and the bloody bedcorner, and the Tweedles are in on it. So I'm voting for them. That way it sounds more like solving a mystery, rather than talking to someone probably way over his head in something.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Something else to consider with regards to the Tweedles: they're clearly paid professionals, and they don't run and fight (the sherrif!!) like people who are poorly paid.

It's REALLY WEIRD that the sherrif of a small community wouldn't know about two private detectives. And that isn't Telltale being loose with storytelling - think what that says about the reach of fabletown's government.

And not only that, but even if you didn't know some detectives, surely uoud know somebody rich enough to hire them! Unless they're using all their money to hire the Tweedles...

O course, as pointed out, this might be all the more reason to stop playing catch-up with them and go after somebody who's actually important - and odds are it'd be eaiser to get Woody to talk than a Tweedle - if he knows enough to make it worthwhile.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 21, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but "private eye" isn't exactly the vibe they're giving. I'm going for "mobster extortionist". They're more likely to have an idea of what the hell is actually going on while the Woodsman's involvement could be purely circumstantial - say Faith was supposed to have something on her when she died but she didn't have it, so they could've just been checking the last place she was in.

Of course, this is all speculation and likely a mound of horseshit.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The answer to the mystery is never just an angry drunk's crime of passion in this kind of stories, is it? Woody isn't some criminal mastermind in any case, so it can't be too hard to track him down later if we need to. But some mysterious crime boss having their hands all over your murder investigation is something you'd want a handle on ASAP, even if it turns out they aren't directly involved.

So Tweedle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Also, just a small detail - I love how Toad's apartment is decorated in a racing motif. Woo for subtle interaction with the story!

• Locked thread