Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters? That's seriously a thing?
Anyway, I was really looking forward to this thread, as it's for one of the games I always wanted to get around to playing but never managed to. Glad to see you're doing multiple playthroughs too.
edit: From the first video, this looks pretty amazing. Digging the music too.
One thing bothering me is why does every single womenfablefolk wear those ridiculous heels.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't read the spoiler but I honestly have no idea what tale that girl is from. Hopefully we'll puzzle it out at some point. That tie and general manner seemed rather... catty to me.
Oh, and Mr. Toad: he's not exactly a folktale, is he? I'm fairly sure those are reasonably modern children's books. Is this significant in any way?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's good, a lot of fun from the Dicworld Noir thread was (at least to me) the variously wild speculations about whodunit.

HeadGrenade posted:

Although, I'm sad that Cinderella has a glass -- not a fur -- shoe store.
Yeah, well, I'm kinda glad of that one, game seems adult-only enough without going into the origin of that particular object.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HeadGrenade posted:

Is there more to it than "translation error"? That's how I heard about how it turned from fur to glass.
Google psychological interpretation of Cinderella or something, there's bound to be tons of the stuff. I guess I stick to this type of fairy tale logic because of my background. The whole fur thing reinforces that, but since it's apparently wrong, it's just good old folktale symbolism.

edit: VVV That one I know. Bigby is one tough motherfucker so the lumberjack doesn't take him head-on, he waits until he sleeps, cuts him open letting the eaten women out, then fills him with stones. Wolf wakes up, feels thirsty and either loses balance or gets shoved into a well or river. The logistics are kinda wonky but hey, fairy tales.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 17, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, that would be part of Manipulating Noir Protagonists 101, but our major plot murder not being a murder would feel pretty disappointing. Still drawing a blank on who that woman is - the whole "I've seen you before" line seems highly suspect but I don't remember any story about a wolf and a... what could she be under that glamor, a cat?
edit: Oh, yeah, Bacter, nice avatar. That sure went fast.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

Just because it's fairly recent (1908) and written down doesn't mean it isn't folklore.
Not, but it having a single author does. The cue is in the name.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

These stories were made up as a way to instill a lesson in small children who have a much better attention span when they are being entertained than when they are being lectured to. In those days the Wolf was literal: There were things out there beyond the torchlight that took pleasure in dragging you screaming into the night. Now the Wolf wears clothes, swaps pictures and stories with other Wolves on reddit4chanfyadthe internet, and throws you in the back of van with no windows. The stories have remained relevant.
I mostly agree there with one exception: fairy tales weren't originally intended for children. The one message most of them share is that "evil doesn't prevail" and that's something peasants needed to remind themselves of constantly; another one is the supposed existence of good and caring nobility. The general cutesification and focus to children (and children-accessible props and interpretations) came with the spread of public education. It's interesting if you dig up some local European fairytales, not just big ones that became collected and cross-cultural: they underwent a lot less change and you'll find that evil is often represented by soldiers or devils as opposed to the politically correct dragons and big bad wolves - characters with more layers of meaning to adults, not children.
And again, that's not going into the huge mess that is psychological interpretation of fairy tales and their longevity, the way they deal with various facets of being human on a non-conscious level.

edit: VVV Actually, the Grimm brothers have some pretty drat grim (sorry) stories too; they really just wanted to collect for posterity. It's the endless filtering and revisions that got us the rated E for everyone fairy tales as we understand them now.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 18, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the game seems to go for euro-american chidren's stories for reference, so my guess would be no Arabian stuff.
Although now I can just imagine this forty-man mob: "Mister Ali Baba sends his regards, it'd be such a shame if something happened to your lamp shop..."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Go to Toad's, there's no way it's as simple as "the husband did it". Plus I figure we owe him for the car.
Interesting reveal about Faith; we got that fairy tale but it doesn't seem to be connected to anything she mentioned so far. Also not sure if the name is relevant, since that doesn't appear in the fable at all...?
Also, despite being a filthy European savage I managed to place Ichabod Crane but where the hell does Buffin come from?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 18, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

We're off to see the wizard~
Of course, flying monkeys. Duh.
In my defense, it's been a long time since I saw that movie.
Another little thing I recalled: the version of the fable I know, Faith's fur coat was made out of mouse skins, not donkey. Probably irrelevant but who knows.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but being a killer in a fable alone doesn't really make for a viable suspect. See: Bigby.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm wary of the whole identity thing for another reason: glamors. We can't take appearances for granted. I guess we'll find out whether a fable can look like another fable?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Guess that's the beauty of card reading: there's so many completely random and arbitrary poo poo attached to the symbols that some meaning somewhere is bound to stick.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That donkey has his own fable too, though. Not saying they aren't related, mind you. But it can still be a red herring.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let's go after Tweedledee. His employer seems pretty drat involved in this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but "private eye" isn't exactly the vibe they're giving. I'm going for "mobster extortionist". They're more likely to have an idea of what the hell is actually going on while the Woodsman's involvement could be purely circumstantial - say Faith was supposed to have something on her when she died but she didn't have it, so they could've just been checking the last place she was in.

Of course, this is all speculation and likely a mound of horseshit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking they're using "fable" as shorthand for "western children's story".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
But why would Bluebeard leave the head where it's going to be found? He's all about hiding corpses.
I still don't think there's a point in trying to find a suspect with as little information as we have, but I'm thinking that the head was put there in order to get Bigby to investigate. That most likely means that there's a witness, someone who won't or can't act on their own. And that's what our fence-jumper is more likely to be, since there doesn't seem to be any reason for the killer to have done this.
edit: Really, the only other purpose I can think of for leaving the head there would be a message of some kind. Trying to intimidate Bigby sounds pretty stupid so it wouldn't be for him, but who else in the building? We know Beauty is cooking up something suspicious, but that's about it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 23, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's private.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, one way you can tell a game is well-written is how hard it is to do an rear end in a top hat playthrough. Evil is my go-to alignment in RPGs pretty much whenever given a choice; my Witcher has villagers trembling in their boots, I'm probably the biggest bastard Bioware's universes ever had the unfortune of hosting. But there's a couple games...
My favorite game of all time: Planescape: Torment. I've been through that thing more than ten times at various points in my life, not once did I end with an alignment worse than Neutral Good. Can't do it. Never could. Similarly I'm finding it really hard to be an rear end in a top hat in just about anything Obsidian. My New Vegas "Totally Legion This Time, I Swear" playthrough ended up with a thorough genocide of their camp.

Anyway, one thing that hit me is that we could've kinda seen Holly the troll coming given the name of the bar. It's the little touches. Another one: Faith still had the ribbon she was wearing, right? Snow didn't seem to have one - why the killer leave the ribbon and ring there? I don't think the answer is just "she had it" so her stuck it in her mouth... That ribbon's gotta have some significance.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 26, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't she trying to point out the ribbon right after she did the whole "my lips are sealed" line? Maybe she was trying to connect them? I'm thinking it's some kind of magic doohickey that was preventing her from answering questions and this was the only way she could draw attention to it.
But that might be more genre-savvy than detection. We know it's a Clue. I still don't think it's the killer sending a message to Bigby, with what we know so far it's more likely someone wants him on the case; only one with a grudge against him would be the Woodsman and I frankly don't see him capable of this.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 26, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mirror saying the same thing when asked for Faith is actually what got me thinking it's a spell. It'd be very suspicious if the mirror wanted to avoid the subject (remember, it has no problems locating dead Fables - it showed us Faith's father) and used the same phrase. Now, if it was blocked and "these lips are sealed" was a magic Error 404, that'd make more sense to me... But yeah, it doesn't seem to be tied to the ribbon, not sure why I imagined that connection.
I guess I get the metagaming part but really, who else? Only other influential Fables there seem to be Crane and possibly Bluebeard.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 26, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just skimming the entry, will view the video later: so Bigby's father is the north wind? I'm assuming that's where the huffing and puffing comes from?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I guess Starewolf shows one thing pretty well, most of the choices do seem to be illusory. That being said, Lawrence being alive in this run definitely comes as a surprise. Also, who the hell is Georgie? Apart from "her pimp", I mean. No fairy tales spring to mind.
A lot of these cases "silence" seems to mean "snarl", too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The thing I notice the third time I watch the chapter the most is the goddamn ribbon. She literally points to it as a response, the thing has to be important.
Another bit that strikes me as odd is the piece of denim. I haven't played this but it's like Walking dead, items don't transfer between episodes, right? We didn't get much use out of that one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I TOLD YOU. I loving TOLD YOU ALL.
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE A NICE MURDER.
Goddamn glamors.
Anyway, there's, uh, a lot of info here, I think I need to digest it a bit. Still. Mumblefuckingglamorsmumble.

edit: Actually, a question does suggest itself immediately: do we know how long do glamors last? Could give us a time of death if she had to, say, replace it daily.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 31, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking that if someone was just walking around looking like, what, number three in government, it'd probably get noticed if they kept it up for long enough.
Anyway, I don't really buy Bluebeard as a suspect. He seems way too obvious and his actions so far could all be explained by just what he sees as efficient - which as we know by now, the fable government isn't.

edit: VVV Come to think of it, Snow White does have a certain reputation for faking death. Glass coffins and so.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 31, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Harabeck posted:

Man, Freudian psychology is so messed up that I feel like I need a sociology lesson just to understand why anyone took him seriously.
History would be a better idea. The answer is that people knew virtually nothing about psychology back then: Freud did a great job busting a lot of myths about it (while creating his own set, obviously) and his theories were considered scandalous enough they got psychology into public view. His theories are out of fashion by now, but psychologists have built (and keep doing so) upon them all the time.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Same here, the moral seems to be "some thing you just shouldn't know" or "be happy with what you have". Gender activists have a lot of fun with that one.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I still think the first head was supposed to be a message, with the ring there to make sure we can identify Faith. Someone wants Bigby in on whatever's happening.
I like the Crane hypthosesis a fair bit, especially since it could explain why Tweedledee is out already: Ichabod doesn't want us to get too much info. May be why he was obstructing Bluebeard too. Track marks, I can't explain, but I can hazard a guess that a glamor needs to "know" about something to obstruct it and you probably don't want to explain those to whoever makes them.
And why petals?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
One thing I'm suspicious about: what happened to Faith's corpse? Where's the body? Is it possible she was glamored too?
edit: Another thing I recalled that'd suggest suspecting Crane - remember in episode one, he likes getting massages? Whatever he's hiding behind that, it gives him free reign to pop out of the office in office hours. Possibly with wine, too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think the murderer was after Snow White. He'd have no reason to kill Faith then - obviously, that's assuming there is only one killer. But "Jack the Ripper" sounds like a valid theory - there being someone who kills prostitutes for whatever reason sounds very plausible.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was talking about the possibility the killer targeted Lily was wearing Snow disguise for another reason, because that way we have a common link between the killings. I am very interested in what the pimp has to say, so far I believe it's more likely to be connected to something out there than Fabletown politics.
On the other hand, "massages" are one of the more common euphemisms for prostitution and Crane is acting rather suspicious...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't comment on this one for obvious reasons, but good whodunit games are really hard to find so I guess I agree there. Haven't seen anything that would be detrimental to the story from the fairy tale side either; if anything, it makes it that much more engaging.It will probably come later.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 8, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ribbons again, it's gotta be the loving ribbons.
Wasn't there a fairy tale about a girl who wore a ribbon and couldn't talk about it? (edit) Right, it's been mentioned on the first page. Could it be a stretch to say they mass-produce them and that's the lips being sealed thing?
I'll post more thoughts after I mull this over a bit.

edit: Oi, the ribbon even cuts off her head. Didn't they imply magic as the source of the wound? If every single prostitute working there is equipped with one, we might have the murder weapon!
Soo... what kind of fable is the Crooked Man? Sounds important but I honestly can't place that.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 11, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And of course, a lot of them are royalty, which means they're completely useless in most regards...
Anyway, anyone else thinking that Nerissa is just asking to be the next victim?
I think I was onto something in the last post since Bacter derailed it again.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 11, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Tax Refund posted:

(Seeing the ribbon on the woman who greeted Bigby at the door pretty much took "Faith was working for Georgie" from suspicion to proof).
Nerissa has one too. I don't know about when she's naked since Bacter's censorbox is a bit too good but when we talk to her she's definitely wearing one.
I just know these things have to be important.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I don't recall any particular version of the tale where Beast is supposed to be dangerous, his thing was that he was ugly. Anyway, that video doesn't really give us that much apart from ribbontalk, but I'm really looking forward to examining what seems to be the crime scene.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I imagine it's something along the lines of her love being what keeps him human. Since if there's a message the game gave us so far, it's that happily ever after, well, isn't. Now, motive for murder is still up in the air, but it indeed does look like someone's been leaving the heads there in order to point Bigby to the club. Whatever he's supposed to discover there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So i'll just leave my favorite version of this tale here.

• Locked thread