Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12179571/joe-paterno-111-wins-were-vacated-restored

quote:

The NCAA on Friday announced a proposed agreement that would restore 112 wins by Penn State's football team that were wiped out during the Jerry Sandusky child molestation scandal and would put the late Joe Paterno back as the winningest coach in major college football history.

College sports' governing body announced the proposed deal weeks before a scheduled trial in state court on the legality of the 2012 consent decree it would replace.

The new deal would direct a $60 million fine to address child abuse be spent within Pennsylvania and would resolve that lawsuit.
Here's a place to have all the conversations you've already had dozens of times over the last four years! Here, not elsewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Joe Paterno allowed the rape of children to happen for years, discuss.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
drat it

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If it makes you feel better, focus on Bowden losing the wins record rather than JoePa regaining it.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

But they can't restore his life.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Burn down Penn State.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

It's ok, Urban Meyer will take the lead from Paterno, finishing off his 20th straight 13+ win season, and then, having saved us all from everything except Ohio State football, pass on.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Thoguh posted:

Burn down Penn State.

And also the NCAA

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

If this is the case then sadly it looks that Jim Tressel should be given back his wins too

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They should restore all the wins to everyone because it's a dumbass pointless punishment. A sport is nothing but the sum of its history, quit loving around with it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Rhythmic slapping sounds echo through the halls of Penn State

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Joe Paterno allowed the rape of children to happen for years, discuss.

On the one hand, Joe Paterno played an integral part of an alleged conspiracy to conceal a convicted serial child rapist and continued to employ said rapist for years in a position that ensured the credibility needed to continue interacting with vulnerable children in an unsupervised capacity.

On the other hand,

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
They received a rhythmic slap on the wrist.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Burn down Penn State.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh boy time for another state college riot :confuoot:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So how much money do you suppose Penn State gave to the NCAA to get this decision?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Flaggy posted:

So how much money do you suppose Penn State gave to the NCAA to get this decision?

That's not how it works

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Flaggy posted:

Nothing. It's part of a settlement of a lawsuit between the state and the NCAA in which the NCAA was about to get shithoused on, but please do continue with your non-sense.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

They should restore all the wins to everyone because it's a dumbass pointless punishment. A sport is nothing but the sum of its history, quit loving around with it.

This is an argument for not vacating wins in the first place. In the context of having already vacated those wins, all giving them back does is say "ehhhhh that whole Child Molestation affair wasn't that bad guys." gently caress that bullshit.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is an argument for not vacating wins in the first place. In the context of having already vacated those wins, giving them back says "ehhhhh that whole Child Molestation affair wasn't that bad guys." gently caress that bullshit.

That isn't what they're saying.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The Paterno family has released a statement:

quote:

Today is a great victory for everyone who has fought for the truth in the Sandusky tragedy. The repeal of the consent decree and the return of the wins to the University and Joe Paterno confirm that the NCAA and the Board of Trustees acted prematurely and irresponsibly in the unprecedented sanctions the NCAA imposed on the University, the players, coaches and the community.

This case should always have been about the pursuit of the truth, not the unjust vilification of the culture of a great institution and the scapegoating of coaches, players and administrators who were never given a chance to defend themselves.

For nearly three years, everyone associated with Penn State has had to bear the mark of shame placed upon the institution by the NCAA. It was a grievously wrong action, precipitated by panic, rather than a thoughtful and careful examination of the facts.

Fortunately, through the tenacious efforts of Senator Jake Corman and Treasurer Rob McCord, a large measure of the wrong has been righted. This is a major victory in our continued pursuit of justice for Penn State. The victims deserve the truth as do those who have been smeared by the deeply flawed Freeh report, which served as the basis of the actions by the Board Trustees and Penn State.

Through our pending litigation, we intend to continue the job of uncovering the full truth in this case.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
And in the end, nothing was learned.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That isn't what they're saying.

Then what are they saying?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is an argument for not vacating wins in the first place. In the context of having already vacated those wins, all giving them back does is say "ehhhhh that whole Child Molestation affair wasn't that bad guys." gently caress that bullshit.

It's more says "ehhhh, we had no authority to take that action in this circumstance according to our own rules" which is 100% correct. And now the NCAA is reaping the consequences of their caprice. Again.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Tough life.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I have to be honest, I am relishing more in the hypocrisy of this forum regarding the NCAA than I am in the restoration of the wins. Ultimately, what the settlement means is that the NCAA and the Penn State Board of Trustees can sweep their poo poo under the carpet. The emails that have been released by the NCAA as a result of the suit have been pretty alarming.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Then what are they saying?

this:

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's more says "ehhhh, we had no authority to take that action in this circumstance according to our own rules" which is 100% correct. And now the NCAA is reaping the consequences of their caprice. Again.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Maybe the Penn State administration will do the right thing and not acknowledge the wiahahahahahhahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Komet posted:

I have to be honest, I am relishing more in the hypocrisy of this forum regarding the NCAA than I am in the restoration of the wins. Ultimately, what the settlement means is that the NCAA and the Penn State Board of Trustees can sweep their poo poo under the carpet. The emails that have been released by the NCAA as a result of the suit have been pretty alarming.

nobody gives a poo poo what you think about this forum, komet.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

nobody gives a poo poo what you think about this forum, komet.

Well, he's not that far off to be perfectly honest.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The ncaa is only metaphorically a rapist, imho

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Komet posted:

Penn State fans and administration are more crooked and morally bankrupt than the NCAA could ever hope to be. Siding with the lesser of two evils is not hypocrisy.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Dear Leader's statue will be back up by the end of 2016.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

You should read what the USA Today published today about what went into the death penalty bluff behind closed doors. Only two presidents supported the death penalty when it came to a vote, and yet Emmert bluffed Penn State into believing that he was all that stood between them and certain annihilation, and that they should sign the consent degree or else. The Freeh report was so shocking and the public was clamoring for an immediate and severe punishment. In the end, what they should have done is waited a few months to make more rational decisions. This was about Emmert flexing his muscle.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/15/penn-state-ncaa-mark-emmert-death-penalty-consent-decree-rodney-erickson/21826697/

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Mahoning posted:

Penn State fans and administration are more crooked and morally bankrupt than the NCAA could ever hope to be.

Whoa let's not go saying things we can't take back

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This was one of the few sanctions that should have stuck. THe NCAA hosed everything up though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Penn State fans and administration are more crooked and morally bankrupt than the NCAA could ever hope to be. Siding with the lesser of two evils is not hypocrisy.

Two things:

1) You're a Notre Dame fan so I'd be awfully careful about tossing stones in glass houses.
2) I also wouldn't give the NCAA that much credit. They only acted in this case out of a sense of self-interest, not because they actually gave a flying gently caress. It's not as if they acted with the welfare of the people involved, they only acted so that they could be seen as doing something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Komet posted:

You should read what the USA Today published today about what went into the death penalty bluff behind closed doors. Only two presidents supported the death penalty when it came to a vote, and yet Emmert bluffed Penn State into believing that he was all that stood between them and certain annihilation, and that they should sign the consent degree or else. The Freeh report was so shocking and the public was clamoring for an immediate and severe punishment. In the end, what they should have done is waited a few months to make more rational decisions. This was about Emmert flexing his muscle.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/15/penn-state-ncaa-mark-emmert-death-penalty-consent-decree-rodney-erickson/21826697/

Indeed a rush to judgment lead to PSU and more particularly paterno getting off lighter than it they should have.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

euphronius posted:

Indeed a rush to judgment lead to PSU and more particularly paterno getting off lighter than it they should have.

That is entirely true. Though let's remember, the dude was loving dead by that point. Like I get it, but let's have a tiny bit of perspective. Are we going to exhume him and have a trial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The NCAA is so terrible, by the way I think they should be able to arbitrarily dole out punishment with no regard for their own process if they think it will make people like them more.

• Locked thread