Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Xander77 posted:

Serious question - is it actually good? Because I'm hearing people going "the developers learned all the wrong lessons from GTAIV and absolutely nothing from Saints Row", and I'm not sure how much of that is just popularity backlash.

Edit - I'm certainly not preordering this. Don't preorder games, peoples. It's bad for you, and bad for the industry.

I got burned with GTA4. Also got burned with The Ballad of Gay Tony/The Lost and Damned with the whole "No, it's really better! Honest!" (it wasn't)

Also got burned with the GTA4 PC port (holy gently caress it was terrible)

So Rockstar are going to have to pull a god drat rabbit out of their rear end to get me to buy GTA5, particularly as they've been surpassed in pretty much everything to do with Open World games by their competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So what is it about jumping out from somewhere high or being hit by a train that GTA5 does better than other competitors.

Being able to use trains in insurance fraud schemes in SR2 was particularly fun, as was throwing people directly infront of them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's completely broken on any PC. My point is what exactly is it about GTA5 that would rank it above other open world games that have come out since GTA4 and the like that have completely surpassed GTA on multiple fronts?

With GTA4 they focused on entirely the wrong things. Having the most detailed city in the world doesn't really make a game any more fun if there's nothing interesting to do in it. Just carrying the GTA name isn't really a selling point after the shitshow that was GTA4.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
GTA4 was a bad game by the previous standards Rockstar had set themselves, and the two expansions did nothing to allay fears that they don't have much idea what they're doing anymore. Just about the only decent indicator I've found that GTA5 isn't as terrible is that it was made by Rockstar Leeds, who actually made a good GTA game (Chinatown Wars)

I don't really feel critical reviews of GTA5 would be much help since it's a Rockstar game and they can put a literal turd on a disc, as they did with GTA4, and it will still win multiple awards.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Euphoria was very impressive, I admit, but just about the only cool thing in the entirety of GTA4 was that and Three Leaf Clover, and even that was only because it was directly ripped off from a better thing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Hey once you get past all that at least you've got bowling with your cousin to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
GTAIV kept promising big American tittays and disappointed sorely. If they spent as much time on the tittays that they did on the city it would have justified all the GOTY awards.

• Locked thread