Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Problem description: family member bought a Mac for their video editing. One day they had a weird crash from Adobe's Video Editing software (Adobe Premiere?)
They dropped it of at my place; now when the machine starts up from normal boot; finder fails to launch and provides the following error(s). Since finder doesn't open; it's seemingly impossible to navigate anywhere easily. I can't access most applications because they fail to launch; but most utilities open if I can navigate to them with launchpad.
Error Report:

Disk Utility Repair:
sorry for blurry

Attempted fixes: I ran disk utility from startup #+r and it found some hierarchy problems and "solved" them. Additional verify/repair attempts say everything is good. Running Verify permissions seems to keep finding the same things repeatedly even after repairing. Can't post logs because web browsers and text editors won't open. Maybe I can paste the whole thing in a terminal editor? see 2nd image above.

Recent changes: They had to have the HDD replaced once before.

--

Operating system: MacOS X.

System specs: MacBookPro8,2 reported by terminal. Will check system profilier since I found a backdoor to open it.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Safeboot does not change the situation.

re-installing the OS is not preferred as I don't have OSX install disk(s), don't know where they have their GBs of video data hidden, and don't think they can re-install their fancy video software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

More system specs:

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 20, 2015

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Couldn't make any headway on this issue; sent it packing.

• Locked thread