Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Problem description: Attempting to write anything to an external hard drive connected to my MacBook causes the hard drive to completely freeze, which can only be fixed by shutting down both the laptop and the drive and turning them back on again. I can watch movies and such, do anything that only requires reading from the drive, for as long as I want, but the issues always pop up right as I start writing to the drive. OS X Finder will repeatedly throw the error code #50 whenever I try to do any file operations in the Finder. If I unplug the drive from the USB port and plug it back in it will show an error "The disk you inserted cannot be read"; powering off the drive while it's unplugged seems to fix it temporarily.

Attempted fixes: I've restarted the computer and unplugged the drive multiple times. I ran Disk Utility, verified permissions and verified the disk. When it's not acting up Disk Utility doesn't show any problems, but after it starts freezing up it says it can't unmount the disk to check it. I also Googled finder error code 50 and the other error I received and tried any of the solutions I could find there, something about messing with energy settings, tried plugging it into other laptops. I haven't tried reformatting yet because I don't have a good hard drive to transfer all my movies to.

Recent changes: Nothing's changed in the configuration in months, this only started today.

Operating system: OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

System specs: Unibody Macbook, Late 2008,

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, spent an hour Googling and trying random solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
See what SMART Utility says about that drive (you may need to install the little driver/kext to see its status). It sounds to me like it's failing.

You may also want to try with a non-beta version of OS X. 10.10.1 is current for the release channel, but 10.10.2 is out as a public/developer beta.

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 22, 2015

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

What external drive and how old is it? Might sound crazy but I've seen this issue with old external HDD power supplies.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Sonic Dude posted:

See what SMART Utility says about that drive (you may need to install the little driver/kext to see its status). It sounds to me like it's failing.

You may also want to try with a non-beta version of OS X. 10.10.1 is current for the release channel, but 10.10.2 is out as a public/developer beta.

SMART Utility doesn't show anything wrong with it when it's working fine, but after I try to write something to the disk it won't even recognize it.

Chunjee posted:

What external drive and how old is it? Might sound crazy but I've seen this issue with old external HDD power supplies.

Hmm, that might be worth a shot, the drive is an old Western Digital, I think it's like 6 years old now; the enclosure is a cheap thing I got off Newegg and I can't even find the brand name for it now.

• Locked thread