Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

PantsFreeZone posted:

The best part about this whole thing is that no matter what ineffective and useless measure Goodell comes up with to punish the Pats, this whole Belichick era is unavoidably tainted. You can yell, scream and cry or reasonably construct a defense as to why none of the cheating mattered, but the "What if" is now too big to fail.

It's not tainted because nobody that likes the team and Belichick gives a gently caress about things like that, and he's not really playing for history in the sense of wanting to leave some pristine legacy. I mean obviously, hence all the cheating and the sneaky plays and all that poo poo.

It's impossible to make a man that doesn't give a gently caress what you think feel bad for what you think about him.

You could put the world's biggest asterisk next to everything they've done as a team, and as long as you are talking about them it's a win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

COnsidering that as far as we know, none of the Colt's balls were seen to be having problems, the weather probably isn't the factor

The weather is a factor by well known laws of physics. It is unavoidable that it contributed to lower pressure during the game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anything short of the colts playing the Seahawks next Sunday and they got away with it. We'll never know the extent of everything they have gotten away with for the last 15 years either. BTW there is no way the refs didn't know this was going on. They touch the ball after every play.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 21, 2015

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

evilweasel posted:

The weather is a factor by well known laws of physics. It is unavoidable that it contributed to lower pressure during the game.

Do you believe that teams brush their ball and adjust it to their specific PSI before presenting it to the ref? If they do this then why would teams not check the PSI in their actual competitive environment. If you were shooting a rifle that you had to hit a 500yrd target with. Why would you sight it in at 100yds?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

pkay posted:

Think about it, its like this in any competitive activity. Especially one in which special equipment/conditions can be customized to a specific person/team's liking. If you were a target shooter or an archer by trade. Wouldn't you want you gun or bow to customized your liking? Are you going to use some random persons gun/bow in a shooting competition? No, you are going to use your gun/bow that you shoot all the time that is customized and fitted specifically to you. Same thing with pool? Are you going to use your cue that you use all the time or would you use a random cue in a big competition? Same logic applies to this situation. If you throw footballs everyday. I'm sure you will find an optimal pressure and brushing that you like. Especially in certain climate conditions.
i can only really use my experience in competitive tennis as a reference. I could tell the difference between a brand new ball and one that had only been used over the course of a match. If only one person knew the balls weren't new or otherwise deflated, you could turn that into an advantage by adjusting your shot selection and such accordingly. Not a huge advantage, but you could still do it. Considering my football experience is limited to intermural flag and passing a ball around in the yard, I don't know for sure but I bet pro quarterbacks can gain an edge.

Really though the thing is they knew it was illegal. You have to have your balls tested before the game, it's not like they can plead ignorance. So if this turns out to be the case it's the second time the pats have been caught trying to get an edge. How many times were they not caught?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
This coming a week after Shula called him Belicheat and Harbaugh complains about the "deception" and the substitutions is just perfect. The only downside is I'm going to be sick to death of this poo poo after the pro bowl I won't watch.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Bishop posted:

i can only really use my experience in competitive tennis as a reference. I could tell the difference between a brand new ball and one that had only been used over the course of a match. If only one person knew the balls weren't new or otherwise deflated, you could turn that into an advantage by adjusting your shot selection and such accordingly. Not a huge advantage, but you could still do it. Considering my football experience is limited to intermural flag and passing a ball around in the yard, I don't know for sure but I bet pro quarterbacks can gain an edge.

Really though the thing is they knew it was illegal. You have to have your balls tested before the game, it's not like they can plead ignorance. So if this turns out to be the case it's the second time the pats have been caught trying to get an edge. How many times were they not caught?

Exactly. Especially when Brady/BB knows most likely scenario if caught is a fine and a warning of some sort. The risk vs reward analysis pretty much makes cheating in this scenario the correct decision. Just throwing out some numbers here. 60% chance you get away with it, of the times you are caught half the time you pay a fine and keep it moving the other half ref's shoulder blame for not properly inspecting the balls. Somewhere in there is a chance that an equipment manager/employee gets thrown under the bus. It makes too much sense not to do this. Not to mention its in the leagues best interest(financially) to cover up for you. If you had no ethics why wouldn't you do this?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I guess my only issue with this is the refs must have known they were soft balls. I don't know how the NFL can deal with that obvious conclusion as it concretely demonstrates impartiality in refs.

It's still a largely irrelevant thing.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

What are the odds they left the balls in a 100 degree room for hours before filling them so they deflated at game time but passed muster with the pre game check?

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

What are the odds they left the balls in a 100 degree room for hours before filling them so they deflated at game time but passed muster with the pre game check?

50:1? Still doesn't explain the one properly inflated ball.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think this would cement Belichick's legacy as awesome if this was true. Guy is amazing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mcmagic posted:

Anything short of the colts playing the Seahawks next Sunday and they got away with it. We'll never know the extent of everything they have gotten away with for the last 15 years either. BTW there is no way the refs didn't know this was going on. They touch the ball after every play.

The refs probably aren't as culpable as you think. Only one ref really touches the ball on most plays, and that's a very quick motion to get the ball spotted. It's probably not enough contact to really notice a ~2 psi difference, especially in the rain. Or, that one ref was in on it. But the point is, it's not all the refs.

pkay posted:

50:1? Still doesn't explain the one properly inflated ball.

That's the "hey let me see one of those balls" check ball. C'mon guys this is basic cheating. Someone calls you on it, you grab the proper inflated ball and hand that one off.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How do you prove *intent* with this, though? A general feeling that Belichick gives no fucks doesn't count. Is someone going to narc on him?

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

The Patriots would've banged them out even if their balls were inflated to regulation.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

sean10mm posted:

How do you prove *intent* with this, though? A general feeling that Belichick gives no fucks doesn't count. Is someone going to narc on him?

The NFL isn't a court of law or anything; they don't need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. That said, 11/12 balls being underinflated is far too many to be a coincidence.

I look forward to the NFL's report that absolves it of any wrongdoing in this case in 3 months.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Santheb posted:

The Patriots would've banged them out even if their balls were inflated to regulation.

How many other times have they pulled this though?

Maybe they also cheated like this in close games.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TheChirurgeon posted:

The NFL isn't a court of law or anything; they don't need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt. That said, 11/12 balls being underinflated is far too many to be a coincidence.

I look forward to the NFL's report that absolves it of any wrongdoing in this case in 3 months.

Yeah but their default is to just want the story to go away. For it to go anywhere they need a smoking gun they can't ignore showing it wasn't just a ball boy being lazy on an air pump, or the temperature dropping, or light from a weather balloon refracted in a cloud of swamp gas or whatever. They don't need to legalistically "prove" a RICO case but they need something beyond "balls low on air because of something" that it will make them look bad to ignore.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Clearly the only right choice is to disband the Patriots

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

pete carroll badgering roger goodell posted:

assuming that the 2 psi is accurate there is no way routine temperature variations do this

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Graham Gano says that he's run into temperature issues before: http://nesn.com/2015/01/graham-gano-explains-football-air-pressure-issue-twitter-doesnt-buy-it/

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Clearly we have a case of manufacturing defects. We should probably get Congress to launch an investigation, put those Wilson executives feet to the fire, get a recall, etc. All over America kids could be playing with deflated balls and not even know it!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 21, 2015

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Anaranjado posted:

get ready for phil simms to say "what a deflating loss for the patriots" if/when they lose The Big Game
"

And with that pick six, it seems like all of the air has been let out of this stadium.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Ravens vs Colts for the Superbowl!!!!!

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

TheChirurgeon posted:

11/12 being under inflated by 2 psi sounds more like the people who are supposed to be checking the pressure before the game might be fuckin retarded.

Or a bad gauge.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
ever notice how the only team that ever gets caught cheating in these ways that "don't really matter" are the abnormally successful Patriots?

At this point the only reasonable assumption is that the Patriots success is entirely due to a series of cheating that is only rarely caught.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but what does under inflating (presumably your own) balls actually do?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Now Brad Johnson admits deflated balls were present in his Super Bowl win:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs-qb-johnson-paid-to-have-footballs-altered-before-sb-37/2214490

Mel Mudkiper posted:

ever notice how the only team that ever gets caught cheating in these ways that "don't really matter" are the abnormally successful Patriots?

At this point the only reasonable assumption is that the Patriots success is entirely due to a series of cheating that is only rarely caught.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuBq2ikjd58&t=98s

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 21, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

computer parts posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but what does under inflating (presumably your own) balls actually do?

Easier to grip while throwing.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

computer parts posted:

Easier to grip since you can apply more squeeze to the ball.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

computer parts posted:

Kind of like replacing wiffleball with a baseball. Pretty much everything.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Santheb posted:

Nobody disputes this. Now, if the same team in the same stadium had done this same thing a week earlier when they squeaked out a win against the Ravens by passing on basically every down, I could imagine some goon who happened to have a decent-sized futures bet on the Ravens spending this week figuring out when to hedge and getting ready to party in the desert instead of whining on TFF.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ah yes. Because the Patriots are the only team caught cheating and still have success.

The only reason this is even being discussed is the fact that too many people get REAL MAD about the Patriots and want to turn every little bullshit thing into THE WORST CASE OF CHEATING EVER.

Which is funny.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You punish the Patriots by making them do HardKnocks next season.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
La Li Lu Le Lo, motherfuckers - Bill Bellichick

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Volkerball posted:

Bad op. Bad thread title. Mister fister, try not to like, do things anymore.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There is a difference between behavior that impacts the creation of a team and behavior that impacts the outcome of a game.

game-based cheating is much more serious, and must be treated much more harshly.

Plus, it is well known that the NFL specifically targets the Seahawks because they dare to be successful as a brash defensive team in a league that values offense and toeing the company line. Honestly we should be considering the very real possibility the NFL has been helping the Patriots cheat in order to undermine the Seahawks legitimate success.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

evilweasel posted:

i am not the first person to think of this: http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/deflategate-pats-under-investigation-for-potentially-deflating-footballs/

looks like normal temperature variations between testing at 70 and the temp outside accounts for about .7 psi of lost pressure, so you've got 1.3 psi to account for, you could probably fill the ball at 90 or 100f and rush the balls into the testing and get these results, i think, but assuming that the 2 psi is accurate there is no way routine temperature variations do this

If the balls were weighed recently, it's much colder now than it was on Sunday. Would that change anything?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Marshmallow Blue posted:

If the balls were weighed recently, it's much colder now than it was on Sunday. Would that change anything?

The measuring appears to have taken place at halftime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Temperature does not effect mass. That is why they weight and pressure test them. Anyway look for NFL provided footballs for the playoffs from now on. Cheating still accepted to beat the the Bill, Jets, and Dolphins, heh.

• Locked thread