Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I always thought "I'll catch you up" meant "I will fill you in" and only that in American English and only in British English did it mean "I'll catch up to you," (as in, "You go ahead, and I will follow along shortly") but I heard it used the latter way on an American television show so maybe I'm wrong?

Both meanings are pretty weird expressions when you think about em. Lots of weird things you can do with words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Antidisestablishmentarianism

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
"I could care less about thing."

So you do care to some degree then.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Beige posted:

I always figured that was the slow evolution of the sarcastic version getting popular and people understandably not thinking about the meaning of colloquial stuff while saying it. I dunno. It bugs me sometimes but I feel like it'd be pretty pedantic to correct it.

Imperial Hippo
Aug 14, 2006
Study the past, if you would divine the future
"It is what it is" - mostly since it seems to be the verbal equivalent of a shrug, and has become ubiquitous in the circles I travel.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Imperial Hippo posted:

"It is what it is" - mostly since it seems to be the verbal equivalent of a shrug, and has become ubiquitous in the circles I travel.

I hear that a lot, it is mostly synonymous with "But what can you do, really?"

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Beige posted:

I could make a pretense of pretending to give a gently caress, if I really wanted to bother to fake making an effort.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

itsgotmetoo posted:

James while Jon had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ryoshi posted:

James while Jon had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher

itsgotmetoo posted:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

bunch of nerds just learning what idioms are itt

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

bunch of nerds just learning what idioms are itt

you're an idiom!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009