Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

The echoing roaring and the discombobulating rocking and shaking that resonated through your erstwhile vessel finally ceased. The restraints you managed to clamber into during the begin of the descent creak and open, no longer pinning you uncomfortably tight to the walls. With precious little time to comprehend your situation the solitary door out of this section hisses loudly as it slowly, and unevenly creaks open - as though struggling to force itself apart. The musty and smoky air that has filled what could have been (and still might be) your tomb escapes as the door begins to open.

Finally as the door agonizingly finishes opening vertically, there is a loud crack as it hits the ground outside. Stepping warily out of the pod soon reveals the nature of this.

The pod is not only underground, having tunnelled deep into the 'earth', it is within a large cavern made entirely out of some kind of crystalline substance, with more natural-looking crystals jutting out of the floors, walls, and ceilings - much akin to rock stalagmites and stalagtites. As the glow from the lighting of the pod begins to flicker and fade you become acutely aware that there is a slight prismatic glow emanating from the floors and walls, and even from the crystals themselves, but more alarmingly in the distance there is a much brighter glow coming some distance away, although it is hard to make out at this moment.

The cool air is stale here, but still breathable, for now. A fact that becomes apparrent as you spend some time catching your collective breaths (for those who have breath). Fortunately the ground and walls seem unworked and are not particularly slippery, making passage not so arduous - for now.

The prisoners among you are snapped back to reality as you are reminded of the discomfort of the explosive collar that you have been so graciously fitted with, though supposedly only the captain could activate them.

With all this in mind your journey begins, the long trek here was a lengthy but relatively peaceful interlude.

Welcome to Azuros, people. Enjoy your stay, it might be a while.

Everyone: What condition are you in and what do you do?

Sambil: You aren't wearing an explosive collar, though you do have one spare - that was intended for you.

Guards: What did you manage to grab from the ship in the brief time before its disintegration?

Also please post your character sheet in your first post, and remind me of consequences/tags when necessary!

OOC Thread

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vas Th'nox | Guard | HP 22/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 3 | XP 0

quote:

Level 2 Mutant

Look: Scaly Skin, Practical Clothing, Agile Body, Robotic Eye

Damage: d8
Armor: 1
HP: 22/22

Stats:
09 STR +0
15 DEX +1
16 CON +2
13 INT +1
08 WIS -1
13 CHA +1

Alignment: By The Book - Use your mutations to harm and terrorize.
Race: Alien - You get one of the level 2-5 moves to start with.

Starting Moves
Alien Move: Paralytic
You can paralyze another creature in your presence, through neuro-inhibiting vocal chatter. When you target someone for paralysis, roll+CHA.
•On a 10+, they are paralyzed and you can still move about, as long as you maintain a link (eye contact, touch, etc).
•On a 7-9, as long as you stay still, they cannot move.

Advantageous Mutations
Choose three monster moves that reflect the advantages your mutations give you. When you employ an advantageous mutation, defy danger to make it work properly.
- Predict & avoid their blows
- Rip out their guts
- Consume them and gain their strength

Exposure to Genetic Conditioning
When you use your mutations to do something the other players and the GM agree is particularly clever or entertaining, gain 1 hold for unstable mutations. Your group should use this move to tell you how much crazy mutant action they want to see.

Unstable Mutations
At the start of a session, roll+CON. •On a 10+, hold three. •On a 7-9, hold two. •On a miss, hold one and the GM will tell you how your body changes. Spend a hold to:
- Change one of your advantageous mutations to a different monster move.
- Use one of the level 2-5 moves once, for one roll.
- Use one of your advantageous mutations without a roll.

Advanced Moves
Protected Senses
You are neither blinded by bright lights nor deafened by loud noises. You do not suffer vertigo and can ignore your senses of smell, taste, and touch if they displease you.

Gear
- retractable plasma shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)
- sharp, hard claws (hand, 1 weight)
- (space) adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight)
Load 3/8

Bonds
Sambil has done almost as much genociding as I have, but his was a secret... a secret I should keep.
Gordan of Gilderland has promised to sate my hunger forever if I help him - and so I shall.
I must prove to Detective Javier that pink flesh doesn't make you superior - it makes you vulnerable.
I will show my fellow experimentee P.A.W.N. the secrets hidden inside this planet - and ourselves.
Unstable Mutations: 2d6+2 10
Holding 3!

Feeling perfect despite the rough landing, Vas smacks the release button on his emergency harness and drops to the canted floor of the ship. Rising from his squat, he peers around warily at the mix of prisoners and guards still coming to their senses. His controller eye marks the location of each explosive collar around the necks of the prisoners. Although when his gaze passes Sambil, something glitches out. Vas taps the eye, muttering to himself. "Damned interference..."

He hefts the plasmo-harmonic resonator rifle he grabbed from the armory on his way into the escape pod and stands at the top of the ramp leading down into the strange cavern. "Everybody stay put. Especially prisoners. I'll check things out." He turns and steps carefully down onto the crystal surface, making his way towards the brighter light at the other end of the cavern. On all sides his reflections warp, and glint with the light of the hazy purplish-blue clouds that leak from the muzzle of the rifle. Vas squints with his organic eye and zooms in with the controller eye, trying to make out what lies beyond that bright light... or within it.

Discern Realities: 2d6-1 4
Predictable... XP 0->1.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lyrius
HP: 20/20 Armor 1 Hold-3 XP 0/9

"gently caress." I groan as I awaken to a pounding head and the sound of blood rushing in my ears. I turn and see the escape pod's hatch laying open, and that damned mutant already stepping out. "Hmph, Amateur" I grumble. I hit the release on my harness, and drop silently to the ground.

I take a single moment to ensure I have all of what remains of my personal belongings. Tightening my cloak, I lament the loss of my other blade. My one remaining blade is safely sheathed behind my back. I shoulder my backpack, and balance its weight on my shoulders.

That done, I lift my hood into place, and stalk after the mutant, I close my eyes and center myself, whispering a harsh series of sibilant words under my breath, I summon my bow and prepare myself to cast spell-arrows from it.
Spell-Arrows 7
Hold 3
Now, let's see what I can do about sneaking silently and unseen towards the light.

quote:

Look: Glowing purple eyes, Silver and Violet Hooded & Masked Head, Purple Cloak, Lithe Body
Level: 2
XP: 0/9
Drive: Taste for Violence
You rely on hurting people to get what you want, regardless of whether they deserve it.
Background: Survivor
You can take care of yourself. You deal +2 damage when you are outnumbered or unarmed.

DMG d8 (+2 if outnumbered or unarmed)
Armor 1/1
HP 20/20

STR 13(+1) INT 09(+0)
DEX 16(+2) WIS 17(+2)
CON 12(+0) CHA 08(-1)

GEAR
Dungeon Rations (9 uses, 2 wt)
Hooded Cloak, Magically Enchanted (Leather armor: 1 armor, 1 wt)
Misc. Magical and Adventuring gear (8 uses, 1 wt)
Backup Blade (Short Sword: close, 1 wt)
Blood-bound cylinder (some kind of key?)
3x "Crystal Ribbon Blades" (Close, Mystical, 200 coins, 1 weight)
quiver of "Vitrayan Arrows" (Mystical, 3 ammo, 75 coins, 1 weight).
5x crystalline light-spheres (0 weight)

?? coins
Load: 7/12

BONDS
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:
  • Sofia understands the power and beauty of my magic.
  • I've got Korak the Carver watching my back and I know I can count on them
    The insectoid former pirate has been helpful, honorable, and a pleasant surprise thus far.
  • I've killed someone Chief Winslow knew.

LEVEL UP
lvl 2:
+1DEX, Spell: MASK OF SHADOWS (CAMOFLAGE)
lvl 3:
+1WIS, Spell: SHADOW'S STEP

quote:

MOVES:
HUNT AND TRACK (WIS)
When you follow a trail of clues left behind by passing creatures, roll+WIS.
On a 7+, you follow the creature’s trail until there’s a significant change in its direction or mode of travel.
On a 10+, you also choose 1:
  • Gain a useful bit of information about your quarry, the GM will tell you what
  • Determine what caused the trail to end

HEARTSEEKER'S EYE
When you discern realities, on a hit, you may also ask this question in addition to any other questions:
  • Who or what here is most vulnerable to me?

SUMMON THE BLACK BOW
Near, far, magical-summoned 0-weight
With a whispered word, you can summon forth a bow made of black shadow and spirit stuff that writhes in your hand like fire. Drawing back the bowstring creates an equally shadowy arrow of concentrated arcane power imbued with your intent and will, as long as you have the focus to channel the bow. You cannot mark ammo on a 7-9 Volley (unless you spend hold, see below) but will always have arrows to fire. Firing a "normal" arrow (doing only your damage with no other effect) does not cost hold.

=======VOLLEY=======
When you take aim and shoot at an enemy at range, roll+DEX.
On a 10+, you have a clear shot—deal your damage (some spell-arrows have effects that either replace damage or modify it).
On a 7–9, choose one (whichever you choose you deal your damage):
  • You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger as described by the GM
  • You have to take what you can get: -1d6 damage
  • You have to take several shots, reducing your ammo by one arrow hold by one (see below)

SPELL-ARROWS (WIS)
When you take a moment to meditate on the magical effects you've studied, roll +Wis.
On a 10+ hold 5
on a 7-9, hold 3
on a 6-, hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says.
Spend hold 1-for-1 to create a spell-arrow with one of the following effects (you may only use one effect at a time):

• Reserve: You may choose to spend one hold instead of marking ammo on a 7-9 Volley
  • Adamant: Your attack gains piercing 2
  • Blast: Attack gains the messy tag
  • Charm: The beast or monster you hit counts you as a friend until they take damage or you prove otherwise
  • Dispel: Choose a spell or magic effect in the area around this shot, Lesser spells are ended and powerful magic is dampened as long as you are in the area
  • Eagle-Eye: you can shoot at something even beyond far range as long as you have line of sight
  • Explosive: Your shot explodes when it hits. The attack gains the area and dangerous tags
  • Guidance: This arrow can change direction in mid-flight, even going around corners or over obstacles
  • Hammerfall: attack gains the forceful tag
  • Light: The area around this "arrow's" impact gets filled with supernatural light
  • Noisemaker: The shot will make a loud and attention-grabbing sound shortly after impact
  • Omen: When fired into the sky, or into a wall or ceiling, this shot explodes into symbols made of light that point towards the direction you should take, and then disappears.
  • Phantom: Your attack strikes invisibly
  • Scrying: As long as you concentrate on it you can see everything around the impact point of this shot
  • Sever: When you strike someone with this shot, choose an appendage to be magically severed from them, causing no damage but a lot of pain.
  • Shadow: The area around the shot's impact gets filled with supernatural darkness and shadows
  • Shocking: attack does stun damage instead of regular
  • Silence: Where this shot impacts, no sound of any kind can be made for a short time
  • Sleep: An enemy you hit with this falls asleep. Only creatures capable of sleeping are affected. They awake as normal: loud noises, jolts, pain.
  • Soul-Forged: Attacks can hurt incorporeal and spiritual beings but not those of flesh and scale and bone.
  • Splitting: When you hit an enemy, with an arrow fired from this weapon, it splits off. Divide your damage dealt between any number of targets in that area.
  • Quagmire: Any enemy hit by an arrow fired from this weapon gets stuck in place
  • Ward: A magical barrier springs up at the impact point of this shot

Level 2 SPELL: CLOAK OF SHADOWS (CAMOFLAGE)
When you're wearing your cloak, and you keep still, enemies will never spot you until you make a movement.

Level 3 SPELL: SHADOW'S STEP
When you concentrate on a location within Near range and teleport there, roll +WIS.
On a 10+ pick both.
On a 7-9 pick 1.
  • You arrive in the exact location you intend to.
  • You arrive silently and without fanfare.

quote:

What my arrows look like when they form:
Adamant: A bright reflective silver, softly glowing as light dances along its especially keen edges.
Blast: An arrow with a gleaming black obsidian arrowhead and a shaft that glows and twists like frozen lightning the color of blood.
Charm:
Dispel:
Eagle-Eye:
Explosive: A shaft of ebon smoke crackling with glowing veins of fire trailing back from a golden arrowhead that shimmers with heat.
Guidance:
Hammerfall:
Light:
Noisemaker:
Omen:
Phantom:
Scrying: A sort of arrow-shaped "hole" in the air, through which distorted images of my arms and surroundings can be seen. Where the arrow lands, it disappears, but I close my eyes and "see" as if I was standing in that exact spot for as long as I keep my eyes closed.
Sever:
Shadow:
Shocking:
Silence:
Sleep: Motes of warm yellow light gather together into a swirling arrow which gives off a muted glow.
Soul-Forged:
Splitting:
Quagmire:
Ward: A shimmering and translucent blue arrow, which expands into a shimmering and translucent blue barrier.

LYRIUS unmasked and hood down

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 11, 2016

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Sambil | "Guard" | HP: 13/13 | Armor 0 | XP 0

quote:

Name: Sambil Miroxi
Class: The Masked Mage
Look: No hair, Guard uniform, Transparent skin, No face

STR: 8 (-1)
DEX: 12 (0)
CON: 9 (0)
INT: 13 (+1)
WIS: 15 (+1)
CHA: 16 (+2)

HP: 13
Armor:
Damage: d4

Drive: Ambition and Power (Endanger others for your own gain)

Many Masks
The Mask of Flesh
You are a changeling, a doppelganger, a creature of a thousand faces, none of them your own. When you touch someone, skin to skin, you remember their form. When you take a minute to change your face, you can become a physical copy of anyone whose form you remember. Your clothes do not change with you.
The Mask of Myth
You wear fame as a face and legend as a cloak. Wherever you go, the locals will mistake you for a great hero. When you arrive in a populated area for the first time, tell us about the hero you are mistaken for - what great deed do the people here believe you are responsible for?

Moves
Smoke and Mirrors (CHA)
When you craft an illusion to fool the senses, describe it and roll +CHA. On a 10+, choose up to 3. On a 7-9, choose 2:
• The illusion makes them believe something specific
• The illusion points them where you want them to go
• The illusion lasts longer than a few crucial moments
• The illusion is not out of place or hard to believe
Pull Back the Curtain
When you reveal a secret, discover something hidden, or see through a lie, tell us one extra detail about it. That detail is now true.
Nothing is Certain
When you tell a lie or a half-truth, it will be accepted as fact by anyone who does not have a history with you. As long as no one reveals hard evidence to the contrary, anything you say will be accepted as open honesty.
Anything You Can Do... (Subversive Dabbler, from The Dashing Hero)
You are a quick student, and a bit of a showboat. When you Make Camp, choose one move another player knows and gain hold equal to the number of bonds you have with that player. You can spend 1-hold to use that move. When you Make Camp, lose any remaining hold from this move. You cannot take a move that causes damage to someone or increases the damage you deal.

Load: 5/6
Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Disguise kit (3 uses, slow, 2 weight)
Adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight)
Fine sword (close, precise, 1 weight)
Sylph-made mask, silver
Restraint mask, iron
A Triumph officer's ID and badge
40 coin

Bonds
Vas Th'nox has seen my true face.
Detective Javier thinks they've seen my true face.
I have seen what lies in Shen-Lyrius Karassus's heart.
Gordan of Gilderland doesn't trust anything I say, for some reason.
P.A.W.N. trusts me absolutely, for some reason.

Sambil was upset behind his helmet. His plan was nearly foolproof if not for that unaccounted blast. His encounters with one of the Captain's most loyal admirals had trained him for the kill. They were both alone and the admiral unaware, then the boom. They faltered, both of them, before Sambil rushed in for a very sloppy murder, hand to hand in the midst of chaos. Though he could not imprint the admiral's face, he did relinquish him of a emergency medkit (bandages, stimpaks, antitoxins, etc.) which the poor humanoid always had on his person in case of... well, it would have been a good time to use it.

He regrets not being able to achieve his promotion, but what does that matter now? He's practically free, except for his baggage. Luckily he doesn't have to work as hard to keep up appearances.

"Roger that," he bemoans to Vas, "We'll keep an eye on things here." He scans the pod's contents: Javier and Sebastien can help keep order, not that he has anything important to do. Lyrius and P.A.W.N. are welcome sights, and...

He would be rolling his eyes when he notices Gordan's miraculous survival... if he had them.

No rolls yet. Holding down the fort!

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 22, 2015

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

quote:

Korak the Carver
He is a Barbarian, and was a Prisoner
Tormented eyes, rigid matte carpapace, strange tattoos, scraps of an outfit.

STR: 16 (+2) CON: 16 (+2)
DEX: 8 (-1) INT: 9 (0)
WIS: 13 (+1) CHA: 13 (+1)

HP: 24
Damage: d10

Level: 3
XP: 4/9

Race: Outsider
You may be elf, dwarf, halfling, or human, but you are an alien lobster mantis, and your people are not from around here. At the beginning of each session, the GM will ask you something about your homeland, why you left, or what you left behind. If you answer them, mark XP.

Drive: Civility
Have someone teach you the ways of their people.

Full Plate and Packing Steel
You ignore the clumsy tag on armor you wear. Unlike human flesh, your carapace does not chafe or blister under an imperfect fit or lack of padding.

Herculean Appetites
Others may content themselves with just a taste of wine, or dominion over a servant or two, but you want more. Choose two appetites. While pursuing one of your appetites if you would roll for a move, instead of rolling 2d6 you roll 1d6+1d8. If the d6 is the higher die of the pair, the GM will also introduce a complication or danger that comes about due to your heedless pursuits.
*Mortal Pleasures (including literal appetite; strong instincts can take over for simple pleasures)
*Fame and Glory (and acceptance; feels like he's got a lot to prove)

The Upper Hand
You take +1 ongoing to last breath rolls. When you take your last breath, on a 7–9 you make an offer to Death in return for your life. If Death accepts he will return you to life. If not, you die.

Musclebound
While you wield a weapon, it gains the forceful and messy tags.

What Are You Waiting For?
When you cry out a challenge to your enemies, roll+CON. ✴On a 10+ they treat you as the most obvious threat to be dealt with and ignore your companions, take +2 damage ongoing against them. ✴On a 7–9 only a few (the weakest or most foolhardy among them) fall prey to your taunting.

Samson
You may take a debility to immediately break free of any physical or mental restraint.

On the Move
When you defy a danger caused by movement (maybe falling off a narrow bridge or rushing past an armed guard) take +1.

Gear (6/10)
Dungeon Ration (1wt 5/5 uses)
Dagger (hand, 1wt)
Two-Handed Sword (close, +1 damage, 2wt)
Chainmail (improvised with actual chains) (1 armor, 1wt)
Muzzle & Claw sheaths (token)
Metacrystalline Sword, 'Light-Lash' (Close, Mystical, substitute +INT, 1wt)
Transparent Psychic Prismatic Mindwar Helmet (Mystical as hell)
No coins

Bonds

Once the crashing stops, the room stops spinning, the dust starts to settle, and the sphincter-clenching terror of 'oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress this is it' fades into relief, Korak pulls his face off the floor and laughs. It's a dry cackle, though full of joy. Nothing is funny, that's just the path that life-threatening stress takes to leave his system, lacking any better words.

It aches to laugh, but he can tell that he's only bruised and battered. With the adrenaline still fresh in his veins (and circulatory cavities) that's no concern. He tests his restraints. The plated leather muzzle is still tight over his face, the clasp-on leather sheathes covering his forearms and claws are still affixed, and still chained together at the elbows. The third line of chain between them, that hooks up to the ceiling to leash him in a room, dangles freely. He drapes it over his shoulder. One ankle cuff is missing, and the chain from the other just drags along with his steps. His chitin is unwashed, dull and dusty, but the jagged white lines tattooed on his carapace are clear and bright. That bright orange 'prisoner' tunic they draped over his torso is still on, barely ripped from the crash. And so is the boom collar. Of course.

He pushes himself up to his feet, balancing awkwardly with one foot higher than the other on the sloped and broken-up floor. When he speaks, the sound is dry and lipless, imitating voice with different mouth parts. If you listen closely, or he gets excited, the clicking and humming is more obvious. He tends to croak on long vowel sounds. He raises his voice and asks, "Any injured? Pinned?"

Guard says to stay inside: okay. Barring any particular response, he's going to sniff around and check any cabinets, shelves, and wide cracks in the fuselage for dead or unconscious shipmates, or supplies. We're going to need food, for one thing.

Discern Realities: Scour the Pod: 1d6+1d8+1 9

Herculean Appetites: While pursuing one of your appetites if you would roll for a move, instead of rolling 2d6 you roll 1d6+1d8. If the d6 is the higher die of the pair, the GM will also introduce a complication or danger that comes about due to your heedless pursuits.
Active appetite: 'Mortal Pleasures.'

✴ What here is useful or valuable to me?
Also, the d6 was higher that time.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 7, 2016

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sebastien de Silva l Guard l HP:15/15 l Armor:1 l XP:0

pre:
Name: Sebastien de Silva
Race: Human
Class: Thief
Alignment: Evil (Shift danger or blame from yourself to someone else.)
Look: Shifty Eyes, Masked Head, Common Clothes, Lithe Body

Stats:
STR:13 (+1)
DEX:16 (+2)
CON:9  (0)
WIS: 12  (0)
INT: 8 (-1)
CHA:16 (+2)

HP:  15/15

Moves:

Human
You are a professional. When you spout lore or discern realities about criminal activities, take +1.

Trap Expert
When you spend a moment to survey a dangerous area, roll+DEX. On a 10+, hold 3. On a
7–9, hold 1. Spend your hold as you walk through the area to ask these questions:
Is there a trap here and if so, what activates it?
What does the trap do when activated?
What else is hidden here?

Tricks of the Trade
When you pick locks or pockets or disable traps, roll+DEX. On a 10+, you do it, no problem.
On a 7–9, you still do it, but the GM will offer you two options between suspicion, danger,
or cost.

Backstab
When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee weapon, you can choose to
deal your damage or roll+DEX. On a 10+ choose two. On a 7–9 choose one.

You don’t get into melee with them
You deal your damage+1d6
You create an advantage, +1 forward to you or an ally acting on it
Reduce their armor by 1 until they repair it

Flexible Morals
When someone tries to detect your alignment you can tell them any alignment you like.

Poisoner
You’ve mastered the care and use of a poison. Choose a poison from the list below; that poison
is no longer dangerous for you to use. You also start with three uses of the poison you choose.
Whenever you have time to gather materials and a safe place to brew you can make three uses
of the poison you choose for free. Note that some poisons are applied, meaning you have to
carefully apply it to the target or something they eat or drink. Touch poisons just need to touch
the target, they can even be used on the blade of a weapon.

Goldenroot (applied): The target treats the next creature they see as a trusted ally, until
proved otherwise

Envenom
You can apply even complex poisons with a pinprick. When you apply a poison that’s not dangerous
for you to use to your weapon it’s touch instead of applied.

Gear:
Load = 7/10
Rapier (close, precise, 1 weight)
Ragged Bow Busted Pistol (near, 2 weight) and bundle of arrows  bullets (3 ammo, 1 weight)
leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Adventuring gear (1 weight)
3 uses of Goldenroot
10 coins.

Bonds:
I stole something from Detective Javier
Korak has my back when things go wrong.
Gordan af Gilderland knows incriminating details about me.
_______________ and I have a con running.
"Ah...gently caress me." It came out as more of a breath than he'd intended. Sebastien sat stunned in his harness, waiting for the spinning in his head to stop before he even thought about releasing the one thing supporting him. The last few moments had been hell on the nerves and little better than a blur in hindsight. When enough feeling had returned for him to confirm that yes, all his limbs had in fact survived the descent, he finally stood and stretched.

His thoughts raced as he tried to place what had just happened. He'd been admiring the various baubles and nicknacks the Captain apparently enjoyed gathering, not while she was in the room to see of course, when the ship rocked and alarms began blaring. The heaving in his chest attested to the rapidity with which he'd reached the pods and their own speed in smashing into the planet below. Then it was now and now was the time to figure out what next.

An odd sensation finally made itself known in Sebastien's clenched fist. An Odd Pendant lay within. While he certainly didn't remember taking it, his fingers had been known to snatch up whatever they wished in the past. It was nice. Simple, but nice. He'd have to thank the Captain if he ever saw her again. After tying it around his neck he gathered the rest of the gear he'd had on him and exited the pod.

The lizard was already up and issuing orders. Hey, if he wanted Sebastien to stay put, then there was no problem. It gave him a chance to rest a bit more before they needed to move out. The prisoners sure as hell weren't going anywhere. Even if none of the guards had a way to activate those fancy collars, what were they going to do? The cave they'd buried themselves in was rather pretty and very empty, but none of them knew what waited for them outside. Sebastien leaned back against the opening in the pod and gazed outside. He wasn't expecting the cave to hold anything of interest, but who knows. A smile traced his lips as fantasies of long buried weapons danced through his head.

Examining the cave. Discern Reality 2d6=7
What here is useful or valuable to me?

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Javier | Guard | HP: 26/26 | Armour: 1 | XP: 0

Javier sat stunned for a moment, ears buzzing and eyes still coming into focus. A guard helped him out of his harness and he bent over to vomit on the ground in front of him. He quickly wiped his mouth on his sleeve and regained his composure.

'I can't show weakness. Not now especially.'

He made a quick glance around the area and noticed that the situation would quickly devolve into chaos without some sort of leadership.

"Alright everyone. Those that are free help those that are still in their harnesses. Pile the dead in that corner. Anyone here that has any medical skills: triage the wounded and get the most serious cases stabilized. Guards, secure the area outside. I don't want whatever the hell that was that shot our ship down catching us with our pants down!"

As he moved to help an injured prisoner out of his harness he noticed he was carrying the keys to remove the explosive collars in his right hand.

'Where the hell did I get these from?'

I am The Law: maintaining order: 2d6+2 5

XP: 0 -> 1

quote:

Name: Detective Javier
Class: Templar
Look: Harsh eyes, sideburns, worn badge of office, fit body

Level 2 XP: 0/9 Damage: d8 Armor: 1 HP: 26/26

Alignment: Lawful - Deny mercy to a criminal or unbeliever
Race: Human - You tend to ignore wounds you shouldn't. When you suffer a debility, you may take 2 damage to take +1 forward to your next roll using that stat.

STR 13(+1) INT 09(+0)
DEX 08(-1) WIS 12(+0)
CON 16(+2) CHA 16(+2)

It's Not Them You Should Be Afraid Of
When you are at an ally's back and they flounder, you can give them some "encouragement." You can Aid an ally with any action as long as they can hear you threatening them. If you are also close enough you could hurt them, take +1 to your Aid roll.

I Am the Law
When you give an NPC an order based on your position of power, roll+CHA. On a hit, they choose one:
• Do what you say
• Back away cautiously, then flee
• Attack you
On a 10+, you also take +1 forward against them. On a miss, they do as they please and you take -1 forward against them

Inquisition
When you and an NPC have a private chat, roll+CHA.On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a 6-, hold 1, but the NPC will try to run away or attack you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 on the following:
• You find out who they work for and why.
• You find out their goal and how far they'll go to get it.
• You find out if they intend to harm anyone, and if so, who.
• You find out if they are hiding something, and if so, what.
After hearing their answers, you can put serious pressure on them for more - break some bones, threaten loved ones, or something similar. If you do, take +1 hold, but the NPC will never want anything to do with you ever again.

Unrelenting
When you are in no condition to continue but do so anyway, roll +CON. On a 10+, choose both. On a 7-9, choose one. On a miss, choose one, but your condition worsens significantly: you take 1d8 damage as you push yourself beyond your limit.
• You ignore your debilities and injuries until the moment before you accomplish your immediate goal. Until then, you take action as if you were perfectly fine.
• You stay standing and will not fall. One ally of your choice gets +1 ongoing as long as you stay standing.
When you hit 0 HP while you are Unrelenting, you keep going and do not take your Last Breath until you fall or your goal is accomplished, whichever comes first.
When you die while you are Unrelenting, take +1 to your Last Breath.

Advanced Moves:
Voice of Authority
You gain followers. You have 3 of them at any given time, and they are all hirelings with +2 Loyalty, no skills, and Cost: Blind religious Fervor. Should any of them die, you get replacements the next time you visit a holy temple of your order (which in this case I would say that's whatever amounts to lawful civilization).

Gear: 9/13
  • Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight),
  • 3 sets of manacles (1 weight each)
  • Badge of Office (0 weight)
  • Short sword (Close, +1 damage, 1 weight)
  • Ceremonial pistol (Near, reload, unreliable, +1 damage, 1 weight) with 3 ammo
  • Inquisitor's overcoat (1 armor, 1 weight)
  • Adventuring gear (5 uses, 1 weight) and antitoxin
  • Spare Pistol (Near, 1 use, +1 damage, 1 weight) with 3 ammo

Bonds:
Shen-Lyrius Karassus’s misguided behavior could be a problem.
Sambil confessed to me. I can trust them.
Sebastien de Silva is suspicious. I've put him on my list.
I want to take P.A.W.N. under my wing.
I won't take any flak from Gordan af Gilderland. He needs to learn his place.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

"Yes, sir," Sambil responds with very little sarcasm, clicking free of his harness. He takes a quick moment to survey his preferred armament, a sleek telescopic blade of titanium. Sylvan, of course.

He peeks out from the pod, takes a few steps out and stands at the ready, just in case...

It's not like Vas would pass up a meal. There's no way there's anything that can hurt him out here. Still, it helps to look around the pod.

Discern Realities (+WIS): 2d6+1 10

What is about to happen?
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is not what it appears to be?

He nods to Sebastien... and keeps on looking around.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 22, 2015

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | Guard | HP 22/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 3 | XP 0

Vas scoffs at Javier's 'command' as he moves away from the wreck, muttering to himself. "S'it look like I'm doin'?" That imperious little human with his thick pack of chumps... It would almost be funny if the controller eye didn't keep the mutant's sense of humor in check.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gordan af Gilderland | Prisoner | HP 15/15 | Armor 1 | Capital 5/10 | XP 0

There may have been some undignified and remarkably high-pitched screaming continuing for a few moments after the pod ground to a halt, but with a quick glance left and right to see who might have noticed and, moreover, who was likely to make an issue of it, Gordan returned to his usual calm, collected exterior. Brushing dust off his cuffs and making sure his explosive collar was on straight, he began to take stock of the situation. Clothes a little battered, personal locker undamaged, backup funds still secreted in his boots. His crew... Ah.

Gatter had apparently spaced out on the ride down, and was now tangled in his restraints looking confused. Porg was already helping the doctor down, the big orc being rather gentle. Unsurprising if you knew the actual disposition of the Gnomethrottler clan these days. Marvelous accountants, although Porg had decided to go down the ancestral path. Mayachil was standing off to one side and giggling, as was her wont when not actively setting fire to things. The fire-suppression construct the captain had assigned to her was nowhere to be seen, though. Likely destroyed in the crash. That foretold less giggling, more burning. Gordan sighed and stepped forward to help Porg with Gatter.

"Doctor, we have wounded. I need you to get as many as you can on their feet or stable." He paused. "Without resurrecting the dead or grafting the wounded to each other." It was the sort of thing you needed to specify with him. As the doctor got his feet on the floor and his eyes sort of focused, Gordan pressed a packet of smokes into his hand and steered him towards the largest volume of pained moans.

---

Healing the wounded? I've Got People For That (+INT): 2d6+2 6

...Welp. :v:

Capital 5 -> 4

XP 0 -> 1

pre:
Gordan af Gilderland, the Merchant Prince
calculating eyes, messy hair, well-tailored clothing, unassuming build

Level:   2
Damage: d6
HP:     15

STR:  8(-1)   INT: 16(+2)
DEX: 13(+1)   WIS: 15(+1)
CON:  9( 0)   CHA: 13(+1)

Drive: Power (Use your wealth and standing to influence those in control)
Background: Sheer Luck (+1 Capital from Capitalism, Ho!, always draw attention on 6-)

Capitalism, Ho! (INT)
When you conclude a business deal to your profit, roll +INT. *On a 10+, you gain 5
Capital. *On a 7-9, you gain 3 Capital. *On a 6-, gain 1 Capital. You can accrue a
maximum of 10 Capital at any given time.

Money Talks
When you spend, invest, or otherwise leverage your assets to gain a good or service,
spend Capital and roll +Capital spent. *On a 10+, you get pretty much what you were
shopping for, when you wanted it. *On a 7-9, pick one. *On a 6-, pick two:
  • You get what you want, but it’s going to cost extra
  • You get what you want, but it’s going to take more time
  • You get what you want, but it’s going to be substandard
The Price of Success When you burn lots of money to tip the odds in your favor, spend Capital. You can take +Capital spent ongoing to all rolls related to one move for the duration of the scene. I’ve Got People for That (INT) No Merchant Prince is without someone to do the actual work. You have 3 active members of your retinue. Pick their areas of expertise from the list below.
  • Accountancy
  • Social Butterfly
  • Mercenarial Arts
  • Doctor of Medicine
  • Doctor of Natural Philosophy
  • Chef
  • Ne’er do well
When you tap the skills, abilities, or equipment of your employee, spend 1 Capital and roll +INT. *On a 10+, the expert accomplishes a task for which you would not otherwise be prepared to handle. *On a 7-9, they accomplish their task, but money isn’t enough – they want a favor in return, they get caught, they’re wounded, etc. – your GM will tell you what else you have to do. *On a 6-, they leave your service and their task is unfinished, whether due to retirement, lack of skill, death, or other factors. Mark the expert off your list. Experts are replaced using the Money Talks move. Level 2: Hostile Takeover When you have an expert in Mercenarial Arts in your employ, spend 1 Capital. For one combat, your damage die increases to d10. Equipment Load: 5/8 Rations (5 uses, 1 wt) Personal Shield Generator (1 armor, 1 wt) af Gilderland Family Badge (1 wt) Albion DS-4 "Bonnacon" Pistol (close, near, 1 wt) Power Crystal (3 ammo, 1 wt) Pocket Arcane Datebook Retinue Porg Gnomethrottler, Mercenarial Arts Dr. Albert Saotome Gatter, Doctor of Medicine Mayachil, Ne'er do well (?) Bonds Sebastien de Silva wants my wealth, and nothing more. Korak the Carver is in dire need of my wealth and taste. It’s nothing personal, Detective Javier, it’s just business.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 17, 2015

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

P.A.W.N. | The Golem | Prisoner | HP: 26/26 | Armor 1 | XP 0/9

Compared to some of the other passengers the Pawn handled the crash with minimal duress. It took a guard coming into its cell and barking out orders over the sirens wailing to get to the nearest escape pod for it to understand the chaotic situation but everything was fine once it made it there. The various harnesses dug into its viscous flesh and was at risk of slipping right through its body during the heaviest turbulence. Which isn't to say that it would've been in danger of breaking any non-existent bones or organs within itself, but harming others was currently forbidden and something of its size flying about in close quarters was certainly a health risk.

Once the worst of it was over and Detective Javier began giving out commands, the Pawn was the first out of its harness and began examining any unconscious bodies for life signs to bring to the corner. It knew very little of keeping still living people alive so left that task to others more suited. It paused briefly at the first body directly behind his harness. The guard who'd come into his cell when a dozen other had ran right past in all the commotion. Female, short for a humanoid, no pulse or breathing. Copious blood on uniform yet no missing extremities or noticeable wounds. Likely cause of death, bleeding out caused by embedded shrapnel from an explosion within the prison ship. A goner before she'd even gotten onto the pod. No name found within current memory banks. Just the first body in a pile to be forgotten for the sake of those still living among the crew.

pre:
Name: P.A.W.N. (Psuedo-Organic Assassination Weapons Neuroframe)
Class: The Golem
Look: Deep-Set Eyes, Narrow Body, Naked, Brand-New

STR:	13	(+1)		CON:	16	(+2)
DEX:	16	(+2)		INT:	12	(+0)
WIS:	9	(+0)		CHA:	8	(-1)

HP: 26/26

Composition: Putty (Force = CON, heal 2 HP after any 10+ roll, cannot heal damage caused by acids)
Drive: Fulfill The Directive (Successfully advance the agenda of those who control you.)

Moves:

• Built For Battle(Detachable, Flexible): You were built to fight, and your body is a weapon with the Hand, Close, Near and Precise tags. (Detachable - your body has the Near tag, and does not need ammo. When a move tells you to mark ammo, take 1d4 damage that ignores armor instead. Flexible - your body has the Precise tag)
  • Eternal Sentinel: You do not need to eat, drink, or sleep. When a move tells you to mark rations, ignore it. You cannot be healed by healing potions, bandages, or poultices and herbs. You are healed normally by other methods. 1 use of a repair kit can be used to heal you by 4 HP.
  • Prime Directive: When someone you have a bond with gives you an order, you take +1 forward to fulfill that order. When you take an action that ignores, resists, or directly contradicts an order given to you by someone you have a bond with, take -1 to that action. When someone you have a bond with gives you an order you absolutely refuse to follow, at any time before the order has been fulfilled, you may erase one of your bonds with that player to ignore that order completely.
  • Unstoppable Force: When you try to remove or plow through all obstacles in your way, roll +Force. On a 10+, hold three. On a 7-9, hold two. On a 6-, hold 1, but when you spend it, the GM will add a complication. Spend 1-hold at any time to: Force your way past an obstacle in your path Distract, lift, or force aside an obstacle long enough for an ally or two to get past it Cause great damage to an inanimate object or obstacle that is in your way
  • Search And Destroy: When you are given the order to kill something, take +1d4 forward to damage against it.
Gear:(1/8) Armored Plates(1 armor, 1 wt) Bonds: Korak helped make me who I am today. Shen-Lyrius warrants further analysis. Sambil has some kind of control over me. My creator says I must aid Detective Javier, Vas Th'nox and Sebastien de Silva.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
You begin to collectively survey the scene in question, in one way or another. The still air around here is mixed with smoke and a slight burning smell from the crash. Fragments of the glass-like crystals form something akin to rubble around the stopping point of the pod.

Vas Th'nox: You concentrate on the source of the light as your step away from the vessel. The sights that assail you indicates that this 'cave' is merely a tunnel leading out into a greater cavern that looks somewhat perilous: A great drop leads off into the gleaming depths below, with incredibly huge crystals forming impromptu and uneven bridges across the great expanse, with whatever the source of the light is lying on the opposite side of the cavern.

You don't get much more of a chance to scrutinise the intricacies (or get a proper chance to see where all the bridges are, given their crystalline and semi-transparent nature) before your concentration on the light makes you not notice a segment of ground by the lip of the tunnel you are in does not seem to be able to support your weight, and it rapidly begins to crack and crumble - possibly leading you to plummeting down to somewhere nasty, and probably filled with razor-sharp crystals.

What do you do?

Lyrius: You follow Vas Th'nox, sneaking all the way using your magics to assist you, and gain a similar sight to him. A great and vast crystalline cavern lies ahead, light shining off the iridescent crystals that jut out of the walls and ceilings. A vast drop falls out below this cave, though the glinting lights and crystalline surfaces make it difficult to make out how deep it is. Some of the vast crystals run along horizontally (or partly horizontally) and seem quite wide, forming what are effectively bridges that criss-cross the chamber. You think you might see other caves lining the walls in places but your attention is suddenly drawn to the guard leading the way, as he steps upon the ledge, part of it begins to crack and crumble rapidly - possibly plunging him into the abyss below!

What do you do?

Korak: Catching the scent of something nice... something... alcoholic? You dig hungrily through a section of the vessel that was mostly intact until now, breaking through wires and cables until you find a secret hiding place that someone left a big keg of something very nice!

You have found a Keg of Jarzyian Ale (same stats as a keg of dwarven stout), sweet!

Unfortunately in your hurried attempts to get at this prize, you may have messed with the electronics or the magical resonances or whatever else mumbo-jumbo is used to power this cage that fell from the stars. Because now it's making an alarming beeping sound, and it's getting faster. Your keen senses are suddenly lit up by a man with a knife who just cut down another prisoner and is screaming about "them", whatever that means. He's waving his knife around with no concern for his, or anyone else's safety.

What do you do?

quote:

Keg of Jarzyian Ale 10 coins, 4 weight
When you open a keg of jarzyian ale and let everyone drink freely,
take +1 to your Carouse roll. If you drink a whole keg yourself, you
are very, very drunk.

Sebastien de Silva: Getting an opportunity to scrutinise this cave itself, you come to a few realisations regarding the crystalline matter itself. It seems like it's really sharp, and really hard. It might be worth something, but above all you can likely easily fashion a little stalag into a nasty shiv, or if tied properly into a more common weapon like a spear. There looks like there is something optical about these crystals too, but it's not something that could be gathered from a glance, might be worth looking into later though - these crystals might have some interesting capabilities...

Your concentration on the pretty crystals in this place is broken by a loud beeping that has begun to emanate from the pod. And... shouting? Things don't sound good.

What do you do?

Javier: You take stock of the situation, helping prisoners and guards out of the harnesses and manage to get a rough headcount of the people still present. But no-one seems to be listening to you asides from your three retainers. Asides from the people (although the term can be used more loosely for some) you are more familiar with, there are five more prisoners and five more guards alive, though in varying states. Although not too willing to chase after Th'nox, they do mill around, although they do move out of the way of Korak when he takes an interest in some section of the pod.

After Korak finishes his investigation, having damaged the pod a bit more to get at something hidden away by the look of it, a persistent, loud, and worryingly speeding up beeping begins to emit from the pod. People are beginning to panic, at this. Seemingly unrelated to the beeping, one of the prisoners has snapped, a young man with a ragged demeanour who is covered in sweat has just cut down one of Gordan's associates with a shiv and is babbling incoherently, and presenting a threat to everyone there. Things could get even uglier, however.

What do you do?

Sambil: You scan your senses about the pod. Things are going from bad to worse. Korak has somehow activated what you recognise as the self-destruct module in the pod, an old back-up option in case of... escapes - and it's going to blow up, and probably cause a cave-in if not worse things if it isn't defused! Asides from the looming threat of explosive death, there is a general threat of rebellion amongst both the prisoners and guards, without a strong leadership to force them to comply, they'll likely split at the first chance they get - though given how dangerous this place might be, that might be a while. With this in mind you quickly give another glance around before acting - and although disguised as a power box, you manage to find three vials of oil of taggit, hidden away.

Oh, and now one of the prisoners has gone crazy, of all things, he cut down of of Gordan's friends with a knife he had hidden and is screaming nonsense.

With all this in mind, what do you do?

Gordan af Gilderland: The good doctor nods and heads over, beginning to help a wounded man when the man's eyes suddenly snap open and he lets loose an agonised scream and with shiv that seemingly comes from nowhere in his hand he stabs through Gatter in one motion, spilling blood everywhere. The crazed man begins shouting "GET THEM OFF OF ME! GET THEM OF ME!!!" as he waves his improvised knife around, his wild eyes not looking at anyone in particular and definitely not looking at the medical professional which he just so cruelly struck down.

And if things don't seem to be getting even worst, a loud beeping is resounding throughout the vessel. Something bad is happening...

What do you do?

P.A.W.N.: You dutifully clear out the dead and sort through the unconscious. However the profound peace that you might feel in carrying out commands is starkly interrupted by all this chaos. The capsule has begun an alarming, incrementally speeding up beeping noise, and a prisoner has started adding to the dead list - while being examined they came to and seemingly have lost their mind, screaming "GET THEM OFF OF ME!" repeatedly, they wave around their now bloodstained knife that they hid on their person.

What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius
HP: 20/20 Armor 1 Hold-3 XP 0/9

I dash forward, my padded boots reducing my footsteps to slight whispers on the crystal, I reach into my pack for a climbing line. I loop it around an outcropping of crystal, and I snap off a quick shot from the black bow with the other end of the rope. My shot purposefully flies wide of Vas, but carries the line within easy reach

With a flick of my wrist the bow and its arrow of shadow-stuff dissipate,leaving behind just the rope. I lean back, and dig my feet in, grabbing a firm hold on the line, gaining the leverage to haul the heavy loving mutant to safety. Afterwards we'll have a pointed conversation about relative expertise in scouting dangerous and unfamiliar terrain features.
Aid Another 11
Vas gets +1 to get to safety, and I mark one use of Adventuring Gear.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 24, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Curse these humanoids and their curiosity. Sambil peers through the entrance, makes direct eye contact with P.A.W.N. and shouts, "Get out!" With that said, he hightails it in Vas' direction.

Defy Danger (+DEX): 2d6 8

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak flinches when the alarm comes on, pulls his torso out of the hole that he just ripped and burrowed into the wall, and looks over his shoulder. A couple split wires spill out, and a circuit board or something falls to the ground with a soft thunk. With his foot, he pushes the small pile of timbers he pulled loose off to the corner, as if they were there all along. Abashed, he says, "Ha ha, whups. Thought that was a drawer. My bad."

What's up with that beeping, he wonders? Probably just a security thing. They'd want to know if a prisoner was sifting through their drawers. Annoying.

Oh - and one of his shipmates has gone insane, and is cutting up the doctor. These things happen from time to time, especially in cramped, stressful places. Korak has had a few brothers 'snap' in the past, traumatized in battle and not given any space to unwind. There's a three-step process for de-escalating situations like these. You just have to be firm and assertive. Not to mention, this is a good time to demonstrate his value to the rest of his new colony-brothers. (Active appetite: Fame & Glory)

Step 1: Ask.

Without setting down the precious jug that he found lying around, he turns and approaches the madman. He raises his voice and says, "Hey! Quit it, we have bigger problems. Nothing is 'on' you. Calm down."

Step 2: Tell.

He doesn't break stride. As he gets closer, he notices that the injuries he inflicted on the doctor are probably quite severe. poo poo; he'd hoped that it was just a little scrape. He repeats, "Hey! We allies! Drop it, rear end in a top hat!"

(As an aside: Korak is covered in a rigid carapace. While it is harder than skin, it offers insignificant protection against proper steel. Whatever natural advantages he might have over a naked human are largely equalized by arms and armament. To wit; his confidence in approaching an armed man is an act of deliberate courage, and not any perceived invulnerability.)

Step 3: Make.

De-escalating a charged situation, powering through a threat. Defy Danger: Strength: 1d6+1d8+2 11

Korak sprints the last two or three steps towards the knife-holder, and head-butts him in the face. His aim is to startle, hopefully knock some sense into him, and push him off balance, not to seriously injure. Wouldn't be upset if he got a bloody nose. While he (likely) recoils, Korak looms over him, fixes eye contact, and screams, "SIT DOWN."

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | Guard | HP 22/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 3 | XP 1

As the ledge starts to crumble under Vas' boots he scrapes at the walls with his claws, but finds no purchase on the hard crystals. With that option struck, Vas grits his teeth and pushes off, keeping his hands tight on the resonator rifle as he drifts out into the open cavern. This what you were modded for, Vas... Just let the conditioning take over. But before his malleable genetics kick in, sprouting wings or whatever, an arrow dragging a sturdy rope whistles past his ear. On reflex, Vas grabs it and swings back to the wall under the broken ledge, letting the rifle's shoulder strap carry its weight.

DD (Dex): 2d6+1 10

He takes Lyruis' gloved hand as the archer pulls him up to safety. "Watch the claws. And... thanks for the help. Even though I didn't need it." Then the screams and alarms explode from the pod, and the controller eye compels Vas to return. He takes off running, growling, "Keep up!"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius
HP: 20/20 Armor 1 Hold-2 XP 0/9

I roll my eyes at the mutant's words. "yeah, sure, no problem", I take a moment to grab up my rope.
I take off right after him, the sounds of screaming and beeping surely can't be a good sign.
I spy the prisoner cutting into our only doctor. How irksome.

I speak my command, and begin drawing my arm back before my bow has even fully formed.
Volley 10
Spent 1-hold for
Sleep: An enemy you hit with this falls asleep. Only creatures capable of sleeping are affected. They awake as normal: loud noises, jolts, pain.

Motes of warm yellow light gather together into a swirling arrow of muted light, I release my shot and it strikes true. The knife wielding prisoner takes the glowing spell to the chest and like a lantern being doused, is instantly unconscious, sinking to his knees and slumping over.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 24, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gordan af Gilderland | Prisoner | HP 15/15 | Armor 1 | Capital 4/10 | XP 1

"Right," Gordan turns to his other two purchased friends, "Maya, sweetie," she hated to be called sweetie, "I need you to-"

There's the scream. Gordan turns, Gatter crumples. The scion starts forward, then sees the pool of spreading crimson. He flashes back to one of his rougher drinking companions: "If it looks like they spilled their ale, they're dead or soon to be, help or no help. A wineglass-full is survivable, but not a full mug."

"New plan, Maya. Bu-" And the prisoner is headbutted and asleep. "Next plan." That beeping is beginning to grate. He raises his voice. "All right, everyone! Those of you that can move, grab those that can't but are still trying to and let's get out of this gravy boat. Threats of death and destruction, all that. Live to sin another day."

---

Defy Danger (+Cha): 2d6+1 6

Balls. XP 1 -> 2

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius
HP: 20/20 Armor 1 Hold-2 XP 0/9

"What the hell is that damned screeching!?" I shout to be heard, grabbing the nearest injured to help from the ship.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Vas pads up next to Gordan and his retinue. He shouts at the lagging prisoners and still-dazed guards. "You heard him, you sea-maggots! Get yourselves in a single-file line and get moving, lest we say bye-bye those pretty little necklaces of yours." The controller eye estimates a 64% chance that those present will believe he can actually do that.

Aid Gordan: 2d6+1 10

"Guards! Look lively! We got some kinda crystal bridges to cross over and we're gonna need to keep things tight. And I ain't afraid to motivate everybody adequately..." He hefts the resonator rifle - it really is a fine piece of weaponry.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius
Not-A-Guard | HP: 20/20 | Armor 1 | Hold-2 | XP 0/9

The guards keep everyone moving, shouting to be heard over the ringing alarm. Some of the "rougher" looking of my fellow inmates seem like they might make trouble, I suppose I should do my part to ensure cooperation so that we may all survive in our new home. I might not be a prisoner much longer.

"Hey!" I shout at the other prisoners, "If we're going to survive, we all need to work together! There's no more guards or prisoners, there's just alive and dead, I am not gonna let you fuckers get me dead!"

I shoulder my pack and turn away to follow the "guards", but keep my hand under my cloak, gripping my blade in case one of these inmate fuckers tries to charge up behind me.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

The incessant beeping gets faster and faster as exciting events unfold!

Korak: You slam into the dark-haired prisoner, knocking the wind out of him, as well as disorientating him and causing him to drop his implement, which clatters on the floor of the pod, knocking him back. He would respond but just after you did this a glowing arrow whistles past you, as soon as the magical projectile hits him it evaporates and the man slumps over, back into his seat, asleep.

What do you do?

Gordan af Gilderland: With the maddened prisoner taken care of (for now), you take the opportunity to try to convince the assembled to make quick their escape - and to do so with those who cannot. Although at first it seems like they aren't about to listen to you, but with Vas Th'nox's insistence they begin to move, grabbing the unconscious but still living. But it seems that in order to appropriately coordinate the exodus from the pod, and make sure everyone gets out, you're going to have to be the last out... the prospect of fiery death has never been so close.

What do you do?

Vas Th'nox: With the help of Lyrius you manage to make it from the edge in time, fragments of crystal plummet into the abyss below - you don't hear them hit, though no-one would blame you given the commotion back at the pod!

By the time you arrive the crazed inmate has been (at least temporarily) taken out of the picture, and you bolster the words of the the playboy. With your encouragement the prisoners and guards begin to marshal forth, though no-one looks keen to be marching off into unknown territory, particularly with the strangeness of this place. However, even with your encouragement, there is a definite concern that they won't be moving fast enough.

What do you do?

Lyrius: You help Vas Th'nox back from the brink and put the gibbering prisoner to sleep! If you survive this ordeal there will likely be some stories to tell. Now the prisoners and guards are starting to move, carrying the unconscious or injured away, but you're not so sure this is going fast enough for comfort, especially as the beeping is getting more and more insistent, and the crystal in this tunnel seems to have begun to shift uncomfortably.

What do you do?

Sambil: You manage to easily make it away from the pod, with plenty of time to go - heck, given your swiftness and ease of balance you could very well make it across the 'crystal bridges' to an extent, should that be within your desires. Meanwhile, there's a commotion about the pod but you think you see them starting to head away from it as you scan the large open cavern that lies ahead, a yawning abyss below - with huge crystals forming impromptu bridges that criss-cross it. You think you catch a glimpse of other entrances that lead out of this cavern, there's at least one to the left, and one to the right, and you think you see one ahead - but it is harder to make out given the source of the light is coming from that direction by the appearances, and a huge crystalline column seems to dominate the centre of the chamber, obscuring what lies beyond it.

(You can at least make it half-way across the chasm without Defying Danger again, should you want to do that)

What do you do?

Sebastien de Silva, Javier, & P.A.W.N.: The situation has calmed somewhat, with the threatening prisoner dispatched and an effort to get people out of here under way, but there are definite concerns as to the speediness of getting away from the incessantly beeping escape pod, maybe even with all this effort it is all futile? Maybe not! The future is still uncertain.

What do you do?

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak the Prisoner
HP 24 | Armor 1 | Appetite: Yes | XP 0

Korak sees the knife-guy fall asleep, and says, "Okay."

He turns to find the magic arrow's source, and sees his fellow prisoner holding that magic black bow, which he's quite certain wasn't there earlier. He says, "That looks useful. You are a wizard?"

But it's not a great time for a conversation, what with all the beeping and people shuffling out in a panic. Korak puts the pieces together. He hoists the unconscious rear end in a top hat up across his shoulders, and makes his way out, prodding anyone in front of him to go faster. If there's anyone else unable to walk, he'll linger a bit longer to help them along - say, by lifting under their shoulders and enlisting another prisoner to grab the legs. Then he will get the heck clear of the ship. He hasn't taken a good look around outside yet, so he'll follow after whoever first calls out a direction.

While scooting out the scene, he will share his opinions with anyone in earshot. "What a stupid poo poo design," he'll say, "Self destruct alarm on a life-pod? Insane! If you want a 'plan B,' uh, kamikaze option, you put it on a short fuse. Very short fuse. Last resort: strike the flint, 'gently caress you all,' and then," and he makes a pchooo noise, mocking an explosion.

"And if you want a slow trap, you put it on a long fuse with no warning. My clan claimed one like that before. Gilderland, I think? Seized the vessel, took it back home, cleaned out the cargo, and then eighteen hours later the whole thing blew up. More brothers died than were in the boarding party. Took a chunk out of the hive ship. Queen was pissed. Was a good trap. This thing, though? What is the point, this beeping? Too slow for a last-resort strike, too quick for a trap, and besides, I would not want to die so annoyed." He shakes his head.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 28, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius

The hulking bugman turns from the unconscious prisoner to me, asking if I'm a Wizard. heh. I wish.

"Not exactly, but I'm the closest thing to one that you've got, I can explain more later, but right now we have to get the gently caress out at our best speed.
To make things worse, these crystal formations are 'reacting' to the life-pod's destruct, and I'm very sure we don't want to be here to see what all that entails.

Follow Me!" I call back to the crowd.

I continue to the front of the line of survivors, heading off in the direction that Sambil's taken.
I keep a close eye on our surroundings as we go, wary of more instabilities that could trap us, and also keeping track of the continuing shift in the crystals.
Discern Realities 8
What is about to happen?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"This ain't a self-destruct sequence! Those come with all kinds o' verbal warnings an' real blatant emergency abort procedures! This... is a reactor meltdown. Somethin' must'a damaged the core! Like a crystal spike, or..." He sizes up the insectoid prisoner Korak. "Somethin' else."

Spout Lore: 2d6+1 6

"An' I ain't got no idea how to stop it. Any of you slow fucks got any bright ideas??"

Something Else fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 28, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

After observing the situation in front of him, he carefully sidles up one of the crystal bridges... slowly...

drat it. Sam slides back down and takes stock of the situation again. There's no easy way to get across and his lone wolf attitude is going to get him killed, if not by the environment then by his "comrades." Better reluctant than sorry.

He rummages through the gear he scavenged before entering the escape pod. There's some wire and a leftover lug wrench he can jerry-rig into a grappling hook. He ties the iron to one end, scoots toward the light and... drat that light! He can't make out a passable grip with that shining in his optical orifices. On the left, though, is a very passable outcropping of crystal. He tosses the wire and...

Defy Danger (+DEX): 2d6 7

Adventuring gear: 4 uses left.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gordan af Gilderland | Prisoner | HP 15/15 | Armor 1 | Capital 4/10 | XP 2

"Yeah, an 18-hour fuse sounds like Father's style," Gordan remarks to Korak. "He likes paying his debts in the most 'amusing' way possible. He's sent chests of coppers to people he's lost bets to." He rolls his eyes, finally noticing he's at the back of the pack. Porg is a few people ahead, helping an old lady (Gordan has no idea what she did, but she knits wonderfully), and Mayachil is back with the prince, pointedly not helping anyone.

"Maya," he asks offhandedly, "You're the most feared arsonist in five systems. How do you survive impending immolation?"

She giggles. "Three gods of fire approached me in the desert, said I would never need fear the blaze, and told me to make my ember shine."

"Three? At once? Will wonders never cease." He says a bit grumpily, because that's not really very helpful to him at all.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius

I continue searching the surrounding areas while listening to Maya's 'story'.

"You keep some interesting company, Gordan."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gordan

"While previous drinking companions have been a tad rough, I will admit I have not had the pleasure of knowing any more inclined towards mayhem."

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

P.A.W.N. stuck towards the back of the quickly formed pack, slowed down by the weight of two of the unconscious survivors slung over its shoulders. It wished to stay behind and investigate the source of the noise and a potential way to disable any suspected explosions from taking place. A minor escape pod-sized explosion shouldn't have been any real danger to its physical form. Yet the guards seemed to have no interest in anything beyond keeping themselves alive and began vacating at Lyrius' insistence. Understandable, yet annoying.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak the Prisoner
HP 24 | Armor 1 | Appetite: Yes | XP 0

Korak isn't slowing down or changing course, mind, he's just carrying on a bit more of a conversation. When we're doing play-by-post, and running from something that's going to explode probably, and a few people are talking at once, we can play a little loose with the exact order in which people say things, right? Right. He follows Lyruis who is following Sambil, assuming they've got a better lay of the land.

He hisses at Vas's words. "They built a reactor in a drat life pod!? Madness! I may have brushed an elbow against a control thing. If it was so unstable from the crash, trigger was inevitable. My bright idea is this: time-proven clan wisdom: 'when something will explode, go away from it.'"

When Gordan mentions his 'father,' Korak recalls his lessons on patrilinear human families, and the many convoluted ways they splinter and interconnect. He says, "You were born from the Gilderland Que- uh, King? My clan was your enemy. I have broken from them, but: do you resent me?"

To Maya, he says, "Good deal. Did they address shrapnel?"

And now that he's thinking about the many tiny, sharp splinters and chunks that might be blown from the pod, he looks over his shoulder and registers that P.A.W.N. is following the group. He hmms for a moment, and says, "Construct: can you shield us from debris?"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

P.A.W.N.'s head continued to face straight ahead as it lurched forward. "Unlikely, prisoner Korak. My body's limitations would allow me to shield at most half of this group. The amount of easily dislodged stone and crystal surrounding us would make any debris far too thick. Low chances of survival in our current location."

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gordan

The mental image of his father in one of his mother's best formal gowns flits through Gordan's head. His face does a few gymnastics.

"No, I don't. My family has many enemies. As, I suspect, does your clan. Hating them may be good for conquering and raiding, but it's a bad business decision when one of them might be useful."

As he talks, he pulls out his datebook and makes a note: "Indeterminate future: Commission painter for "Queen of af Gilderland"." Hopefully he will still remember what that means once he's in a position to accomplish it.

"And the proper title for my father is Grand Patrician. Different from King, but only to him and kings."

Meanwhile, Maya frowns. "The gods were silent on that topic." The beginning of a worried look is quickly erased by a giggle, however. "But a good hot counter-blast should deflect or melt or burn most of the shrapnel!" She begins muttering to herself, flames flickering between her hands.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | Guard | HP 22/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 3 | XP 2

Vas sneers at Korak. "Yeah, yeah, smarty-shell. I guess a reactor and a self-destruct are equally unlikely for an escape pod. But let's get out of this damned cave first - then we can discuss the finer points of Prison Authority transport design."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius

"Maya, I'm afraid you'll find the gods silent on many topics. If they exist, if they have any influence in the first place, we are far from them now."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

You make haste away from the capsule!

Sambil: You launch the impromptu grappling hook into the huge cavern ahead, it sails through the air before snagging on a crystalline platform rising from the depths adjacent to the crystalline bridge that lies ahead, although you couldn't quite manage in these circumstances (and timing) to get a secure line all the way to the other end of the bridge leading further into this chamber, you did manage to get somewhere at least. Though perhaps not as far away from the cave mouth, nor the unstable escape pod as you had planned...

You'd probably get a chance to try again, if time wasn't up!

Korak: You make haste away from the pod, with the unconscious man who was all up in arms so little ago atop you. The crooked terrain of this crystalline tunnel does not impede you, though it does require that you pay attention, lest razor-sharp stalagmite-equivalents threaten to stab you as you charge towards the light, the crystalline cavern - floored with a great abyss off to some horrible depth below lying ahead. Sambil appears to have managed to hook a grappling hook of some kind to a platform atop a spire that rises from the depths, as though a guide to aid those who might try to cross the crystalline bridges that dominate this place and make it towards the central pillar that the source of the light lurks behind - but shines through most dazzlingly.

Many uncertain surfaces abound here, but your choices are limited, especially now... that you're out of time.

Gordan af Gilderland: Heading away swiftly from the capsule, your toadies seem keen to join you, though unfortunately you're forced to leave the poor doctor's corpse behind. He'd have probably wanted it this way, right? Right? Well it's too late for him to really have opinions on things anyway. Such ponderances are cut short as your group reach the edge of a precipice, or near enough one anyway. Partly crumbled in one section, it roughly connects to a seemingly naturally-formed crystalline bridge, which this room seems to possess many, although not exactly thin, it does not look necessarily stable. Helpfully Sambil seems to have thrown a grappling hook to form a safety line, although it only gets as far as a small plateau atop a spire that is off to one side of the bridge, and not at the end where it seems a central pillar that dominates the room, forming a rough platform around itself and concealing whatever the source of the light is behind it.

Such information is difficult to process at the best of times, especially due to the optical oddities this material seems to possess. What makes matters worse is you're out of time!

Vas Th'nox: poo poo! Things look like they're going to get bad! You stumble briefly as you try to recall anything helpful, but nothing but bad news passes through your mind. You don't have time for this! You almost got distracted as you sprint back towards the huge cavern, its many edges gleaming in the unknown illumination. Time's up!

Lyrius: You keep your wits about you as you race away from the vessel. Although this tunnel is not exactly designed for people, the ultimate largest threat that is looming against you at this very moment is the reactor detonating suddenly. All other threats, even the possibility of falling into the dark abyss below or being impaled on razor-sharp spikes pale in comparison to receiving a direct strike from the wave of the deleterious energies that are rumbling through the vessel at this very moment. Luckily you're a bit more prepared, as you once more enter the vast cavern that lies ahead, but it looks like it's time to act...

P.A.W.N.: You are near the rear as you herd the various prisoners and guards quickly away from the rumbling, beeping pod. You approach the light of the cavern ahead relatively swiflty, but all this discussion and having to deal with extra people and carry all this weight has slowed everyone down. As you approach the edge of the precipice into the dark void below, it becomes abundantly clear that time is up.

Everyone: Caught up in the mad rush away from the capsule, you hardly get a moment to notice that Javier shouts "Go on without me, I need to get something." before he (and his peons) and Sebastien rush back to the pod. Without the opportunity to see what happens, your vision is disturbed by the myriad unnatural colours of the reactor reaching critical status, and an almost sussuric resonance echoes through the air before a great boom echoes forth and you get a brief moment to react before the blast-wave crashes upon you.

What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Lyrius
Not-A-Guard | HP: 20/20 | Armor 1 | Hold-1 | XP 1/9

poo poo!
Out of time and out of luck.
There's no way everybody will get clear in time, and this blast is as likely to knock us all over the edge as kill us outright. gently caress.
I snarl out my command word and summon the Black Bow, it appears as fast as anyone could hope to draw a weapon, but it still takes time and the blast is on its way.

I hastily take aim at a patch of ground just past the P.A.W.N., launching a spell to 'blunt' the force of the blast wave with a shimmering magical barrier, if not protect us all fully.
Volley 5 +XP
Spend 1-hold for Ward: A magical barrier springs up at the impact point of this shot

I let fly the spell-arrow, and leap into the air, tucking my arms and legs in to my body as the blast hits, in the hope that it will carry me instead of kill me.
Welp, I tried. :suicide:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Vas Th'nox | Guard | HP 22/22 | Armor 1 | Mutant Hold 32 | XP 23

"Dammit! EVERYBODY, HAUL rear end!!!" Vas turns on his heel and keeps up with Lyrius, leaping into the air over the edge of the crystal cliff he stumbled off earlier while the reactor goes critical behind them. No time to hope for a rope arrow this time - the mutant slaps his arms to his sides and engages the controller eye to warp his malleable genetics. When he extends his arms again, there's a sheet of flesh connecting to his back - not unlike bat wings. Flapping a bit, Vas glides around the cavern and tries to get on the level of everyone crossing the crystal bridge, with Sambil's safety rope - but the controller eye is telling him he got caught by that explosion after all. drat!

DD (Dex): 2d6+1 5
Spending 1 hold per Unstable Mutations to get temporary Wings!

Unstable Mutations posted:

At the start of a session, roll+CON. •On a 10+, hold three. •On a 7-9, hold two. •On a miss, hold one and the GM will tell you how your body changes. Spend a hold to:
- Change one of your advantageous mutations to a different monster move.
- Use one of the level 2-5 moves once, for one roll.
- Use one of your advantageous mutations without a roll.

Wings posted:

You have wings of one type or another that allow you to fly.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Korak the Prisoner
HP 24 | Armor 1 | Appetite: Suspended
(see status) | Status: Oh poo poo | XP 0

Korak has been keeping a running tally of dangers. He doesn't think in itemized lists, or big words, but in a best effort to transcribe thoughts, his worries are something like this;
1) Blast wave. Too close, and our insides are goo. Either we're far enough away when it goes off, or we're not.
2) Shrapnel. When clever people make bombs, that's how they kill people. So many things to get impaled by on that ship. Solution: Make yourself a small target.
3) Gravity. Looks like a long way down, with a lot of sharp things at the bottom. Keep your footing.
4) Cave-in. Or.. bridge collapse. Don't understand the structure of this cave yet. Never seen such big crystals, either. If they're going to collapse, nothing to do about it.

If there was ever time to do something clever, it's past. It's a lovely thing, to have so little control over your fate. Korak's gotten used to it. He shouts, "Hit the deck!" but his words are likely lost in the blowback. He drops to the ground, curls up into a ball with his face covered, and tries to grab anything he can find in the terrain with his toes and elbows. Center of gravity as low as he can get it, with his rigid backside toward the craft. If the ground was soft dirt, he would try to burrow into it.

Oh, and he drags the unconscious Knife rear end in a top hat down in front of him.

Defy Danger: To Endure, Withstand: Constitution: 2d6+2 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Gordan af Gilderland | Prisoner | HP 15/15 | Armor 1 | Capital 4/10 | XP 2

A significant part of being a merchant, especially one that's part of the wide-ranging af Gilderland family, is understanding complex and chaotic systems. Usually this refers more to understanding how a hijacked shipment of anti-toxin can affect hyper-silk production (The gloves required for safely handling hyper-moths are crafted from the skins of venomous lizards), not explosions, but Gordan feels there may be some overlap, so he casts his eyes around the chamber. Once it seems like there are no large, precarious crystals hanging ominously overhead, he pauses and waits for Mayachil to catch up. The arsonist, still muttering and making pretty flame patterns on her hands, nearly runs into the prince. Her eyes light up.

"Here?"

"Here." They turn and face the escape pod, and Gordan lays a hand on the taller woman's shoulder. She glares at him and holds up one fire-wreathed finger. He holds up a finger of his own in response, then watches the escape pod closely.

The pod erupts in arcane energies.

Gordan squeezes Maya's shoulder.

Maya, arms wreathed in flame, brings her hands together in a clap that momentarily overpowers the sound of the breaching reactor. A hemisphere of flame, white-hot, blasts out to meet the oncoming shock wave.

---

Defy Danger (+Int): 2d6+2 5

loving hell. XP 2 -> 3

It's actually a toss-up whether that's just Defy Danger or I Have People For That, but the roll's the same regardless. :negative:

• Locked thread